logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: companions
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-12-31 12:36
Wooden Cut Outs with an Agenda.
The Silent Companions - Laura Purcell

Now and again I like a good bit of creep but it is so hard to find, the more books you read, the less creepy they are but his story had atmosphere. This is your typical gothic horror novel that has been done to death over the years - it has supernatural elements, a grieving widow, a crumbling mansion, hereditary insanity, villagers that won't go near the big house and a mysterious 200 year old diary written by a witch in the mid 17th century. What puts it above the others for me are the 'Silent Companions' themselves. They remind me strongly of the weeping angels in Doctor Who - take your eyes off them for a minute and you're a gonner.

review 2017-11-27 10:55
Spooky historical novel – Good but nothing special
The Silent Companions: A Novel - Laura Purcell

Taking place in 1865 (with flashbacks to1635), this novel centres around Elsie Bainbridge, pregnant and recently widowed, moving into her husband's country estate with Sarah, her companion and sister-in-law. Here she encounters mysterious goings-on which date back to an ancestor of her husband's family. A series of horrifying events (with a hefty body count) ensue leading to a climactic end.

Not my type of book really but I saw it through to see how the plot develops – some of it was predictable. The characters are reasonably well-defined and developed. Recommended to lovers of “spooky” stories. I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

review 2017-11-26 00:00
The Silent Companions
The Silent Companions - Laura Purcell 4.5 Stars

What an intriguing, atmospheric and scarily good story which had the hairs standing on the back of my neck.

A chilling period piece set in two time frames 1860s and 1630s which I loved from page one. I was lucky enough to purchase a hard copy of this novel and cover is beautifully illustrated and unique. This is certainly a book I will be recommending to friends but I am not loaning this one out as its a bookshelf keeper.
image: imageThis is why for me kindle and audible just don't compare to holding an actual printed copy.
A genuinely suspenseful and really quite chilling tale set in an old crumbling Country estate, newly married and newly widowed Elsie is sent to see out her pregnancy at her late husband's crumbling country estate, The Bridge.

With her new servants resentful and the local villagers actively hostile, Elsie only has her husband's awkward cousin for company. Or so she thinks. For inside her new home lies a locked room, and beyond that door lies a two-hundred-year-old diary and a deeply unsettling painted wooden figure - a Silent Companion - that bears a striking resemblance to Elsie herself...,

I loved the eerie atmosphere created by the author and every time I picked this book up off my bedside locker I was so looking forward to getting back to the characters and the story. A book of intrigue and secrets and just a good old fashioned ghost story that chills as well as entertains.

Loved every moment spent with this novel as this is the book I needed to pull me out of my recent reading slump.
I think readers who enjoyed [b:The Thirteenth Tale|40440|The Thirteenth Tale|Diane Setterfield|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1346267826s/40440.jpg|849453][bc:The Thirteenth Tale|40440|The Thirteenth Tale|Diane Setterfield|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1346267826s/40440.jpg|849453] [bc:The Thirteenth [bookcover:The Forgotten Gardenbook:The Forgotten Garden|3407877|The Forgotten Garden|Kate Morton|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1455283767s/3407877.jpg|3448086][b:The Forgotten Garden|3407877|The Forgotten Garden|Kate Morton|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1455283767s/3407877.jpg|3448086] or even [b:This House is Haunted|17307162|This House is Haunted|John Boyne|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1366068693s/17307162.jpg|23594735][bc:This House is Haunted|17307162|This House is Haunted|John Boyne|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1366068693s/17307162.jpg|23594735] may enjoy this novel also.
review 2017-08-12 23:01
The Silent Companions: A Novel - Laura Purcell

After the untimely (and mysterious )death of her husband, Elsie is sent to her husband's ramshackle country manor. The manor is surrounded by a bleak scenery, an hostile village and a decrepit church.That should be enough to make one feel a bit tense but there is more:a 17th century diary, strange wooden figures and many,many secrets .This is in every sense a classic ghost story (haunted house, forbidden rooms,noises in the night...)but what makes this special is the fact that the ghostly part is very good but there is also an excellent mystery story underneath.

review 2016-12-28 14:12
Review of Brave Companions by David McCullough
Brave Companions: Portraits In History - David McCullough

I love David McCullough. I always want to read more history, biography, and novels after reading his words and seeing his passion for America and the World. I want to see art, listen to music, and just become better educated about areas of life that I am deficient in knowledge.

This book is a collection of essays and speeches that McCullough wrote and gave over the course of many years. There are chapters on people I knew literally nothing about, and others about time periods and figures I am familiar with but learned more about. If you enjoy history and learning about figures that might not be mainstream, this is a great read.