logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: contemporary-romance
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-06-22 16:15
Dangerous Waters & Dark Waters by Toni Anderson
Dangerous Waters - Toni Anderson
Dark Waters - Toni Anderson

DANGEROUS WATERS

Two divers find a shipwreck off the coast of Vancouver Island, British Columbia. A wreck containing a dead diver with a knife buried into his chest. Enter Sergeant Holly Rudd who has lots to prove; that she didn’t get the job because of her daddy, but because of her merits, that she’s put her affair with her married (although she didn’t know it at the time) superior behind her, that she can close her first murder case, and that she can keep it professional when it comes to her attraction to one of the divers who found the body…

Let me tell you, she proved none of it. For a supposed “professional” she was rather incompetent when it came to everything from investigating, to interrogating, to listening to her guts, and to keeping her hands off the supposed suspect. And for someone who claimed to have gotten the job through merit, she was rather quick to doubt herself.

So, this was supposed to be a romantic suspense novel. So let’s start with the romance. It wasn’t there. One snap of the fingers and the two of them were immediately attracted to each other, another snap of the fingers and they were bumping uglies (no emotion behind it, mind you), and yet another snap of the fingers and they were in love.
Why? How? Why?
There was all tell and absolutely no show.
I didn’t understand what they saw in each other—she was an incompetent idiot with a teenage crush, he was an off-putting asshole with a chip on his shoulder and no compunction about lying to the woman he supposedly loved.

As for the suspense. There was none. Or if there was, it was buried so deep, I couldn’t find it. No chills, no intensity. Nothing.
There were two “mystery” sub-plots, really, but both connected by the same villain. The first, about the murder in 1982 and the fact the heroine bore an uncanny resemblance to the murder victim was so predictable it was transparent. I was just waiting for everybody to finally get their heads out of their asses and see the truth.
So the only “surprise” was the reveal of the villain and the motive. The latter was rather far-fetched, or I simply didn’t care by that point, and the villain...Yeah, I didn’t care by that point.

It started off great with the chill-filled prologue, but after a few chapters, the whole thing slowed down. The plot was vapid, the writing amateurish, the romance and suspense non-existent. In the second half of it, I skimmed scenes, hoping for a glimmer of something to keep it interesting, to kick the pace into a higher gear, and by the end of it, I was ecstatic it was finally over.

DARK WATERS

DNF @ 13%

A nicely intense prologue once more followed by plodding, slow, and boring "story".

I couldn't care less about the heroine, the hero was stuck in my mind as the asshole brother of the asshole hero in the previous book...
Instead of carrying on the intensity of the prologue, the difference in pace (and intrigue) in the first chapter was jarring, and having learned from the first book in this duology that improvement either in pace, characterization or intensity is unlikely, I went on to read the last chapter...And didn't get the urge to go back and read the whole thing.

review 2017-06-21 16:37

August 26th 2014
Paperback
305
Library

When adrenaline runs high, so does the force of desire…

For Shay Appleton, it’s love at first sight when a gorgeous stray dog is brought into the animal shelter where she works. She just knows he’ll make a terrific watch dog—and with an abusive ex who won’t let go, she needs all the protection she can get. But Shay never suspected that her new pet is actually a trained police K-9 named Bogart—until Bogart’s even more gorgeous, human partner shows up on her doorstep.

Officer James Cannon is one tall, strong alpha male who’s convinced that Shay stole his dog. But once he gets closer to the suspect, he realizes that this stubborn, independent woman not only needs a guard dog, she needs James as well. It seems that someone from her past is stalking her, and threatening her life. When danger meets desire, will James risk his career and his best friend…to protect the woman who’s stolen his heart?

Goodreads

Amazon

Barnes & Noble

Kobo

Book Depository

Irresistible Force swept me into danger and romance.

James is looking for his missing partner, a K-9 named Bogart, and he runs cross Shay. These two have a little exchange and soon he’s drawn into her life and danger.

I LOVED Bogart. He stole my heart and James was perfect. Dogs have a way of pulling at your emotions and making you love them. I loved the relationship James has with his pup and seeing how he helps Shay, sweet. James was easy to like. Shay was ok, but she had a few to many hang-ups for me to fully like her. The story was fast-paced and I had fun with the story and leads. Theirs no shortage of action, suspense, and yummy bedroom scenes.

My only issues is that Shay and James sleep together on the first day they meet. I prefer reading about a couple that has spent sometime together before hopping into bed. Other then that, I had a delightful time and look forward to the next installment.

Rated: 3.5 Stars

Challenge(s): Library Love Pick Your Genre (Con) | New To Me (Author/Series) | Backlist Reader (2017)

Facebook Twitter Google+

Source: angelsguiltypleasures.com/2017/06/review-irresistible-force-k-9-rescue-1-by-d-d-ayres
review 2017-06-20 17:57
Review: Midnight in Legend, TN (The McClains of Legend, Tennessee #1) by Magdalena Scott
Midnight in Legend, TN: Small Town Romance in the Great Smoky Mountains (The McClains of Legend, Tennessee Book 1) - Magdalena Scott

I got the small town and all the trappings of said small town, I liked the hero, but I could not stand the heroine. Midnight Shelby was a spoiled, entitled brat of heroine; she acted more like 18 than a 42 year old divorcee. She jumps to so many conclusions, opinions nobody asked for, and mood changes at the blink of an eye....and yet all her problems are of someone else's fault. The voodoo doll stuff just showed her to be a bitter pill to boot and wasn't funny in the least.

Martin was a decent hero, but really bland. I understood his motivations for wanting to bring in the right kind of economic resurgence into his small town. His family is a bit cloying, but the friends within the community seemed normal. I don't honestly see why Martin would want a relationship with Midnight and there wasn't any chemistry to warrant the relationship. I won't be reading anymore from this series or the author.

******************************************************************************************************

Read for COYER Summer Reading List.

review 2017-06-20 16:01
River's End by Nora Roberts
River's End - Nora Roberts

When she was four, Olivia McBride found her father leaning over her mother’s mutilated body, covered in her blood, and ran in fear. She’s been running ever since, burying the memories, locking them away as she was taught by her overprotective grandmother.
Now, twenty years later, it seems running, hiding and burying of memories will come to an end. Her father has reached out of prison, contacting the only man Olivia has ever loved, the second man, after the one who sired her, to break her heart.

Noah Brady is a true-crime author, but writing the book about this particular murder isn’t just a job. It’s a calling. As son of the lead detective on the case, the murder, and the image of a distraught four-year-old girl, have stayed with him, and he knows he not only has to tell the story from all points of view, he needs to.

But neither Noah nor Olivia are prepared for the can of worms digging into the past might open.

“When you run away it comes after you, Liv. And it always catches up.”

If this book teaches any kind of lesson, it’s this. That there’s no point in running or hiding, the past (or anything for that matter) will eventually catch up to you. And the more you bottle it all up, the worse it will be. In this case, the combination of buried memories due to trauma, and the bubble she lived in afterward thanks to her grandmother, the bottling up turned the heroine into a bitch.
There’s no beating around the bush, here, she was a bitch. She got better, eventually, but the scenes I most remember her in are those in which she lashed out at Noah about and for everything. And he, the hero that he was, took it, took everything, and then came back for seconds.

It was this dynamic that ruined the “romantic” aspect of the book, because I didn’t feel the romance. Attraction, yes, passion, maybe, but it was all rather cold, without much emotion (except anger), dispassionate, and detached.

What I loved about the story were the descriptions of nature, the forest, meadows, flowers, fauna, bringing with them a strange feeling of peace and contentment, a welcome respite from the aforementioned tumultuous “relationship”.

I also loved the suspense, with the scenes delving into the past, flashbacks, and, most of all, the ominous feel as the climax approached. I knew almost immediately things were not as they seemed with the murder (a gut feeling, like with Frank), and soon after suspected how things truly were. And I wasn’t wrong. Although the truth was revealed almost at the end, and I knew what was what by then, I wasn’t disappointed with the finale.
Yes, it was predictable, but still written well enough to keep the suspense going, and yes, tug at a heartstring or two, when the bitter-sweetness of it all hit.

review 2017-06-20 12:17
Review: Heat Wave (Nerds of Paradise #4/Magnolias and Moonshine #18) by Merry Farmer
Heat Wave (Nerds of Paradise Book 4) - Merry Farmer

If more contemporary romances were written like this, with characters like Dennis and Angie, I would read a ton more contemporaries! Dennis returns to Atlanta to woo his childhood friend/object of his teenage crush, Angie, to work for his employer, Paradise Space Flight. Angie just graduated with her PhD and is being pursued by different employers, the main ones being Paradise and NASA. Angie hated the way she and Dennis parted and seeing him again both raises her love for him as well as the guilt in the way she handled their friendship. There is a side plotline in that Angie and Dennis' friend Latoya (who needs her own book damnit!) refurbing some of the homes of the senior citizens in their neighborhood to help keep up home property values, make the homes safer for the occupants, and give Latoya's company some PR.

The chemistry between Angie and Dennis is intense and the sexy times are pretty damn hot. I also really loved Angie and Latoya's friendship - Latoya doesn't tell Angie what Angie wants to hear, she tells her what she needs to hear but not in a mean way. Angie does so much to redeem herself in her eyes and that helps her let go of past hurts/insecurities and embrace her new job and relationship with Dennis. I enjoyed learning her reasons for choosing the employer she does.  I loved the seniors and the neighborhood vibe of the story. I want to read the entire series!

Alternative cover model is closer to what Dennis looks like in the book:

Title: Heat Wave (Nerds of Paradise, #4), Author: Merry Farmer