logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: contemporary-romance
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-04-29 03:43
ONE KISS by Lisa Fox
One Kiss: HarperImpulse Contemporary Rom... One Kiss: HarperImpulse Contemporary Romance (A Novella) - Lisa Fox
  Short intense novella of Dean and Kat at a New Year's Eve party. Dean learns Kat's reason for keeping her distance. She needs Dean's unconditional love and acceptance and Dean is not afraid to provide it.

I liked Dean and Kat. I liked the changing point-of-view. I got insight into what each thought and wanted. I respected Kat's point of view even if I did not agree with it. A good read.
review 2017-04-28 17:51
EMILY AND EINSTEIN by LINDA FRANCIS LEE
Emily and Einstein - Linda Francis Lee

Audiobook

3-1/2 out of 5 stars. Cute and kind of sad book. I have a little barker who single barks "Let me in!", "Pick me up!", "I want some!", etc. He's so demanding it cracks me up. So Einstein's little exclamations and Emily understanding them was believable to me.

The "old man" part I didn't understand. The quitting and not accepting paying jobs in New York for a career as a writer I didn't understand. She's not Nora Roberts and she's just starting out. That wasn't responsible especially living in the Dakota. And the marathon race didn't seem very pivotal to me even as much as the author was trying to portray it as such. Those are the reasons for my lower rating.

review 2017-04-26 22:09
Ten Thousand Words - Kelli Jean

♪♫My Pick For Book Theme Song♫♪

All In by Lifehouse  --These lyrics describe Oliver and how he feels after he screws things up in New York.

♫All night staring at the ceiling

counting for minutes I've been feeling this way

So far away and so alone

But you know it's alright

I came to my senses

Letting go of my defenses

There's no way I'm giving up this time

Yeah, you know I'm right here

I'm not losing you this time♫

Book Title:  Ten Thousand Words

Author:  Kellie Jean

Series:  Ten Thousand #1

Genre:  New Adult

Source:  Own Kindle eBook

Add to Goodreads

OVERALL RATING:  3.8/5 STARS

My Thoughts

Overall, a stimulating story, that just suffered from one substantial issue; and one tiny issue.  My bigger issue was TOO MANY SEX SCENES…this is a pet peeve of mine, lately, with the New Adult Genre.  This story had so much going for it, an interesting premise with her being a writer and Ollie as the new cover model of her series.  I loved that…and the sub-plots are also very intriguing too.  I just don't get why she felt the need to add so many full on descriptive sex scenes, sometimes it's ok to leave some of the scenes details to our imaginations.  I'm not sure if I'll keep reading this series…I might…I'll just have to do a lot of skimming through the sexy stuff if need be.  My other issue is the excessive amounts of sappiness, especially from Oliver...actually, entirely from Oliver.

Ratings Breakdown

Flow (Writing Style):  4/5

Backdrop (World Building): 5/5

Originality:  4.8/5

Book Cover:  5/5

Ending:  4/5 Cliffhanger:  Not for Xanthe and Oliver.  The next stories are about different characters.

Will I continue this series?  Maybe so.  Like I mentioned there is some interesting subplots going on that I'm sure will get delved into more in future editions.

review 2017-04-24 21:16
Woosa
Maybe Someday - Colleen Hoover

I had to take several deep breaths while reading this book. I was irate. I spared everyone from status updates because it looks like a lot of readers felt the way I did.

"Maybe Someday" is dealing with two people who randomly come together after starting to text each other. Sydney is living with her friend and roommate (Tori) and often goes on her balcony to listen to a boy she doesn't know play his guitar (Ridge). Soon we find out that Ridge is stuck with writer's block and can't come up with lyrics for the songs he is playing. So he starts holding up signs to Sydney since he notices her always singing along to his music. Yes, Sydney is such a musical genius she can listen to musical notes and come up with pitch perfect lyrics. So the two start a weird friendship.

Sydney though is happy with her long time boyfriend (Hunter) but still has doubts. All doubts are erased though when she finds out he's been cheating. And due to the most ridiculous thing ever, she ends up moving in with Ridge and his other two roommates. I still want to know where these people live that they have a four bedroom apartment. Scratch that, I don't care.

Anyway, Sydney has no money and no place to live (I can't recall why) and agrees to live with Ridge and not pay rent as long as she's helping him write lyrics.

And of course love. But hold up, Ridge has the most awesome girlfriend ever (Maggie) and now Ridge is torn between Maggie and Sydney.

Hoover chooses to tell this in alternating POV's which of course showcase Ridge and Sydney.

First things first, the two leads suck. I hated Ridge and Sydney. They are terrible as hell and self absorbed. I had moments when I wanted to smack the crap out of both of them since they fought so hard to not be attracted to each other. Yeah, not really. They both act childish if the other one pays attention to anyone else of the opposite sex.

I disliked Ridge because he lies about even having a girlfriend until Sydney finds out about it and he acts totally surprised about why is she mad. Frankly, I wish that Hoover had explored that more.  Why is Sydney mad? Men and women can shocker, be friends and if one or both are in relationships then you can't be mad that a guy you are thinking about is dating someone else. Can I also say that Sydney has been broken up with her boyfriend for like 3 days at this point so I rolled my eyes at how hearbroken she supposedly was.

There is of course an incident. And frankly once again I think Hoover tried to soft pedal it so that you would root for Frick and Frack to get together. I kept hoping they both die in a weird accident with an epilogue from Maggie's POV. Too bad.

Back to Ridge and Sydney, they are both overwrought as hell talking about how their hearts are being ripped out and their souls are being torn in half. I am not kidding people. That is a good majority of the book.

The thing that gets me is that Sydney acts like an even bigger ass when the truth comes out and people notice what is going on with her and Ridge showing everyone their "feelings."

I liked Maggie, Warren, and Bridgette (sadly) and that was it. Maggie deserved better and honestly I hated how Hoover ended this with pretty much Maggie being more of a grown up and honest person then these two yahoos. I hated that Hoover tried to show some parallels between how Maggie and Ridge got together and nope, didn't buy it at all. Warren was the only grown-up considering how Hoover portrayed him.

The writing was not my favorite. The flow was all messed up too. I think it was because of the fact that Hoover kept including song lyrics throughout this book. I didn't care for any of them. And didn't get musical genius for the words that the character of Sydney was writing. Probably because I could not hear the music. And as I said above. Once Sydney and Ridge acknowledge their feelings for each other each of their POVs become more and more over the top about their feelings I think that even Romeo and Juliet would tell them to take it down a notch.

The setting of the book was pretty much their apartment.

The ending was a joke.

Ridge "chooses" Sydney. But that's after Maggie dumps him. I did laugh. I wish that Maggie had sent Sydney an email saying yeah I gave him to you. Enjoy until another girl comes along.

(spoiler show)
review 2017-04-23 20:24
Finding Ms. Write by Various Authors - My Thoughts
Finding Ms. Write - Jove Belle,Elaine Burnes,Lea Daley,A.L. Brooks,Anastasia Vitsky,Melissa Grace,Cori Kane,Hazel Yeats,Chris Zett,Jacelle Scott,Kathy Brodland,Jae

Finding Ms. Write is an anthology of 12 f/f contemporary romance stories and I thought it a perfect way to discover some new authors without breaking my bank.  *LOL*  You see, most of the f/f authors that are recommended by folks publish with publishers that A) never seem to go on sale and B) sell their novels for $13 a piece.  Not conducive to exploring a genre.  And quite honestly, Bold Strokes Books and Ylva Publishing should take a look at that if they want to expand beyond their comfy genre niche.  I love romance of all sorts, but quite honestly, they don't make it easy.

So, on to the book.  The stories were well-written and somewhat engaging for the most part, but what struck me was that they all seemed to have main characters who had either been dumped/widowed/deserted in some way.  Is this a big f/f trope?  The anthology didn't seem to be going for that - it's supposed to be about the publishing industry - but it seemed that every last one of these ladies had some tragedy in their past.

For the most part, all the romances are very sweet.  Not much steam or heat happening, which disappointed me.  I like my romances to have some physical oomph to them.  There was just an element of blandness to many of the tales and characters.  Maybe blandness is not the right word... I don't know.  I just found most of them too calm for me maybe.  On the plus side, the majority of the characters weren't wet behind the ears kidlets under the age of 25.  It was refreshing to read about mature women - except jeez, did they all have to have lost a love?

One thing really irritated me though... I really don't need to be reading a romance story about a main character who has early on-set Alzheimer's to deal with.

In conclusion, I will say that Finding Ms. Write was a nice read, filled with nice stories about nice people.  Nice.