logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: contemporary-romance
Load new posts () and activity
review 2021-08-11 04:48
BEACH READ by Emily Henry
Beach Read - Emily Henry

January has been left a house in Michigan by her late father. She goes up to live in it when she is broke and still is working on her current novel--or rather not working on it. Her next door neighbor is Gus Everett, her rival in college. After taking potshots at each other, they decide to have a contest where he writes a rom-com and she writes a literary novel and see which one can sell theirs first. In the course of their writing, truths come out.

I loved this book! I loved January. I could relate to her as she and Gus have their discussions at the end of their days of writing. I understood her thoughts. I also loved Gus. He is similar to January but his thoughts took on a darker tone. Once January can get him to open up, he reveals a lot to January--things she never expected. I did appreciate their openness when their thoughts and explanations came out. It is rare to have that much communication between characters. His explanation when they went to New Eden was wonderful and swoon-worthy.

I loved the other characters--Pete, Maggie, even Sonya. They are quirky (not Sonya). I was glad when Sonya made January listen to her. So much was said and pain was let go eventually. I wish January's mother had been more open with her earlier so her father's death would not have been a shock.

I liked the humor. There were times I was laughing out loud as I pictured these scenes. The dialog was snappy and snarky (reminds me of the dialog in The Maltese Falcon). This is one of the top books I have read this year. It is wonderful watching a curmudgeon fall in love.

review 2021-07-13 03:13
CAUGHT IN THE MOMENT by Brandy Walker
Caught in the Moment (Freefall #1) - Brandy Walker

Laurel is the photographer for the yearbook in high school. She crushes on Quin, the football team captain. After taking photos of the team, she takes some candid shots of Quin and he notices her and makes a derogatory remark that ends up making her last year of high school a living nightmare. Ten years later she is taking photos for a book and ends up at his skydiving school where he does not remember her. When he finally puts it all together he wants to make up for what he did in high school. She still has her crush but will she see him as anything more?

I enjoyed this story. It was quick and focused on the two of them. She tries to keep the personal from the professional but the lines blur. I liked that we get his thoughts on what happened in high school and what he hopes for now. I liked both Laurel and Quin but his brothers still the show when Laurel goes to Guys Night. I laughed at how they teased Quin. Just like siblings!

I hope I already have the next book in the series; otherwise I might not be able to finish this series. And I want to!

review 2021-05-26 10:29
CRAZY FOR THE COWBOY by Cindy Spencer Pape
Crazy for the Cowboy (Love at the Crazy H) - Cindy Spencer Pape

Ree has inherited her great uncle's bookshop. Moving to Wyoming she packs up his things but decides to stay and reopen his store. She meets the sheriff under very interesting circumstances. Both have pasts that they need to deal with in order to move into a life together.

I enjoyed Ree and Fitz, the sheriff. I liked how Ree makes decisions and moves forward to make them happen. She is starting over and makes a few mistakes but she has a good heart as does Fitz though he tries to hide it. The secondary characters are good especially Lily, Harry, Jack, and Singing Bird. Fitz's family is large but welcoming to Ree.

I hope there are more stories at the Crazy H.

review 2020-09-20 19:59
ALONG CAME JONES by Dixie Browning
Along Came Jones - Dixie Browning

Rex sees Lu coming from the fishing pond and is struck by her but he has no idea why. He's out for a good time and the ladies he goes with know the score but something about Lu knocks him sideways. He's secretive and does not trust easily but somehow Lu gets under his defenses.

I enjoyed this story--a good beach read. I liked the contrast between Rex and Lu-one open, one closed. When trouble comes Lu fights tooth and nail to get Rex cleared. There is some humor there. Rex does cause Lu to change her life and she needs a shaking up. Just a quick fun read.

review 2020-09-07 01:36
99 PERCENT MINE by Sally Thorne
99 Percent Mine - Sally Thorne

Darcy and her twin brother Jamie have inherited their grandmother's house which they are to remodel and sell, dividing the proceeds of the sale. Jamie hires Tom, a childhood friend, to do the remodel. Darcy is there to make sure the remodel is what she wants. Tom has always carried a torch for Darcy as she has for him but neither will admit it. This has caused Darcy to travel the world, hooking up for one-night stands while Tom has been engaged for some years to the same woman. Will working together finally make them admit their need and love of each other?

I enjoyed this book. There was a lot of subtle humor in it especially on Darcy's part. Tom is strait-laced but she does get to him. They are a perfect couple. I like how they work together. It made me smile throughout the book watching them dance around each other. This was a fun read!