logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: contemporary-romance
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-11-19 15:53
ARC REVIEW Cocksure by Shiloh Walker

Cocksure (Cochrans of Cocker County, #1)

The Cochrans of Cocker County #1, It feels so nice to get a Shiloh Walker book in my hands again. Shiloh has created a fantastic family series this along with being a wonderful romance it was a great introduction to the family, I can't wait for the other books. The emotions in this book run deep, I was in tears at a couple of parts. Luke and Sabrina are hot together. It's a friends to lovers romance with an alternating first person POV. The characters have great depth and you really empathize with them, you root for them and when Luke does something stupid you want to hit him upside the head Gibbs style.

Sabrina works as Luke's personal assistant and has been in love with him for years and she' come to accept that they could never be a thing she's happy just being in his life as is until his mom gets sick. Luke is a nice guy, despite being a playboy and very aware of his good looks and a bit self centered, okay a lot self centered but when someone he loves needs help he will go the distance to help them. Sabrina sees more than just movie star Luke she sees him for who he really is and that's who she fell in love with.

When Luke's mom starts having heart problems Sabrina works miracles to rearrange his schedule so he can go to her. In Luke's hast to reassure his mom that he is happy he blurts out that Sabrina and him are engaged which inadvertently gets leaked to the press and now Sabrina is forced into Luke's spotlight. As much as she doesn't want it and hates lying to his family she loves him and agrees to do it. Luke in all this pretending finally realizes he's not pretending he really does love Sabrina. But something from Luke's past comes up, something he's been hiding from for years and he lashes out and hurts Sabrina in the worst way possible. But once Luke gets his past sorted out he's determined to set things right with Sabrina.

Overall, I am already in love with this family and it's a good size family, so I really am looking forward to many more books and the other siblings falling. I love Shiloh's writing style, hot romance, witty banter, and emotionally damaged characters you can see grow and become better. It's a great story on so many levels.

review 2018-11-18 08:31
A Night To Remember by Celeste Bradley & Susan Donovan
A Night to Remember - Celeste Bradley,Susan Donovan

In Wedding Knight Katrina Trapp takes her nervous twin sister's place at the altar, only to find out her sister never had any intentions of marrying Alfred Theodious Knight in the first place...

This was a quick, quirky and funny little romp about a woman switching places with her sister, who ends up disappearing and leaves her in the lurch of being married to a supposed tyrant of a man. But as the two newlyweds come to get to know each other, they also rediscover themselves, and dare we hope fall in love?

I liked the two protagonists, although I felt Katrina was a tad too bratty at times, and I loved how they slowly changed for one another as they got to know each other and developed tender feelings of one another. Of course, seeing how everything was based on a switch, the inevitable twist had to come.
I felt it was resolved a little too quickly, but that's scandal for you.

A lovely little budding romance story.

In Have Mercy Winifred Mackland, having failed to deliver a good manuscript, is packed away on a forced writing retreat by her agent...Who turns out to have matchmaking tendencies...

Quick, funky and hot as hell.

Initially, I felt it was all moving a tad too quickly (even for a short story), but as it moved along, and the two got into their easy rhythm beyond jumping naked into the hot tub on the day they met, I came to love them and their little romance.

The progress and the reservations thanks to Mac's profession, was organic and realistic, and they were super cute and super hot together. Besides, the story made me smile, which is always a plus.

review 2018-11-17 18:41
This is Love by Caroline Nolan
This Is Love - Caroline O'Nolan

๏ ๏ ๏  Book Blurb ๏ ๏ ๏

Rachel Miller had love, life, and happiness...until she didn't.

Uncertain of how to cope and move on without him, Rachel's life comes to halt as she mourns the loss of her fiance Ben. Then one night she discovers it doesn't have to.

By way of dreams, Rachel and Ben continue to live the life they had planned together. It's unconventional, it's not even real, but it's enough for Rachel. For the first time since Ben's death, she's happy...whole. That is until she runs into someone she barely knew from years ago and suddenly real life is just as great as her dream one.

Now Rachel doesn't know what to do. Will letting someone new in threaten what she has with Ben? Or will their love story threaten her new happiness? Is it crazy to chase after a ghost while being caught up by someone very real?

๏ ๏ ๏  My Review ๏ ๏ ๏

Another win for me in the romance genre...yay...sometimes I feel like I'm losing all my interest in this genre, but books like this one are helping to restore it.

The blurb only tells you about the fiancé who Rachel loses, it only hints at the new man she meets...and he (Jax) is at the center of this story and Jax is one who had a hand in making this story so memorable for me.  This story at its core is about grieving and learning to move on from that grief.  With characters who not only feel real but are also relatable, and a sorrowful but ultimately uplifting storyline to go with them, I wholeheartedly recommend this book.

๏ ๏ ๏  MY RATING ๏ ๏ ๏

Theme or Tone⇝ 5/5
Flow (Writing Style)⇝ 5/5
Backdrop (World Building)⇝ 5/5
Originality⇝ 5/5
Ending⇝ 5/5 Cliffhanger⇝ Nope.
๏ ๏ ๏
Book Cover⇝  It's kind of gray, but it goes with the story well.
Setting⇝ Maybe, Chicago...it doesn't really specify.
Source⇝ I own Kindle eBook

review 2018-11-13 14:39
ARC REVIEW Whiskey Undone by Carrie Ann Ryan

Whiskey Undone (Whiskey and Lies, #3)

Whiskey and Lies #3, YAY!!! Ainsley and Loch finally! This can be read as a standalone as with most of her Contemporary Romance. Loch and Ainsley have been best friends for over ten years, she's helped take care of Loch's daughter when Misty's mother abandoned her and she has always been there content to be his best friend always hoping she could be more. Loch has kept Ainsley in the friend zone because he always feared he never deserved a happy ending, always assuming that sex would ruin everything and she'd not only leave him but Misty too. But Loch can't stand the thought of her with anyone else and one night changes their entire relationship the night they give in to their desire. Unfortunately sex fries their brains, especially Loch's, and they became unable to communicate with each other and they start fighting. It wasn't the only life changing event to happen that night a dead body was discovered behind Loch's gym and now his past is coming back to get  him.

Overall, another outstanding book by Carrie Ann Ryan. I love the Collins and the town of Whiskey. The book had a great epilogue, very nice HEA wrap up for the family. Third person perspective that switches between Ainsley and Loch so you do learn what Loch's deal is and understand where he's coming from. This is a very emotional story it does deal mostly with Ainsley and Loch's relationship and Loch's emotional issues. The external conflict is a doozie it was really intense there at the end, wow. As sad as I am to see this series end I am anxious for the upcoming series Ryan has planned.

review 2018-11-13 12:53
Crave the Heat by Marnee Blake
Crave the Heat - Marnee Blake

***ARC provided by publisher through NetGalley***

Dak Parrish has family issues. That's what he'd jumped at the opportunity to come back to Oregon to fight fires—his father, mother and little brother live on the reservation nearby. While his mother appears not to want to have anything to do with him, his father makes an impromptu visit, blackmailing Dak into helping an arsonist investigator look into suspicious fires...A prickly female investigator that quickly gets under Dak's skin...

Like its predecessor this story also didn't bring much to the table. The characters were bland (although the heroine was slightly too bitchy for my taste), the suspense had its moments, but the final reveal (without much motive behind it, or a worthy resolution) left everything to be desired, the pacing was plodding...

Another puffed-rice-cake equivalent.