logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: contemporary-romance
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-08-20 19:50

Rating:  Five

Review:

"Shattered" by Helen Hardt

My Synopsis....

This was another good Steel Brothers Saga # 7 that featured mainly Ryan and Ruby along with the rest of the brothers, sister and sister in laws.  We find the two older brothers are getting married and all are in Jamaica having a good time.  But something will happen to two of the guest at the resort that will shorten their trip.  Upon coming home Ryan and Ruby seem to be coming together with such hot and steamy chemistry however, after a  text and phone call will cause secrets to start coming out that will put quite a damper on this relationship.  How will this situation be handled by the other family members and even Ruby as she is involved too?  Even toward the end of this series both Ryan and Ruby will receive a phone call that will send this twisted intensed story into a cliffhanger for this novel and will only leave the reader wanting to know more.  Hopeful in the end Ryan and Ruby will get to a HEA.

review 2017-08-20 15:27
Book Review of Fifty Shades of Grey by E L James
Fifty Shades of Grey - E.L. James

When literature student Anastasia Steele interviews successful entrepreneur Christian Grey, she finds him very attractive and deeply intimidating. Convinced that their meeting went badly, she tries to put him out of her mind – until he turns up at the store where she works part-time, and invites her out.

Unworldly and innocent, Ana is shocked to find she wants this man. And, when he warns her to keep her distance, it only makes her want him more.

As they embark on a passionate love affair, Ana discovers more about her own desires, as well as the dark secrets Christian keeps hidden away from public view …

Review 3*

This is the first book in the series by E.L. James.

Anastasia Steel is a character that found myself neither loving or hating, though I found myself rolling my eyes at her inner monologue. She is a stumbling, bumbling teen in a twenty-something young body. She is so insecure and full of angst that I wanted to strangle her. Okay, having said that, her character does grow and mature as the story progresses, which I like when reading stories. When she interviews Christian Grey on her ill roommate's behalf, she finds herself enthralled with him. When he warns her away from him, she doesn't listen to him and finds herself thrust into a world that she was woefully ill prepared for.

Let me first say that I bought this book in 2012, but due to my large reading list, and then the subsequent social media storm about this book, I decided to hold off reading it until recently. I still haven't watched the movie.

I started to read and, as many others have mentioned in their reviews, I found myself shaking my head at Ana's inner goddess monologues. However, I also knew that this was a piece of fan fiction after the author had read Twilight, so I could see some of the influence in the writing. Ana knowingly enters into a relationship with Christian. She didn't sign any contracts, apart from the secrecy one which, in my eyes meant that she went into this relationship of her own free will. Christian could have pushed her to sign the contract. In fact, if he was a complete control freak he would have. Yes, he's a controlling a-hole, but to be fair, he warned Ana on several occasions to stay away.
That contract! Goodness me! If someone handed me that contract I would run for the hills! Some of them made sense (health and safety wise) but some of the rules had me scratching my head and a red warning light flashing.

As for the BDSM aspect of the story, I laughed at the scenes. They were more like mild kink and not hardcore BDSM. I have read several erotic romance novels with BDSM in them and those scenes were more realistic than in this book. I do not practice this lifestyle and cannot say for definite that the other books I have read are accurate either, but this felt more like titillation rather than any real BDSM. Several people have stated in their reviews that this book promotes an abusive relationship and to some degree I agree, that one scene with the belt comes to mind. However, I also think that Christian Grey has some serious issues from his childhood that were hinted at that need addressing with major therapy.

Having said all that, I actually enjoyed reading this book, even though it was like watching a train crash at times. I tried not to let anyone's opinion colour mine, so I hope those who read this review and then decide to read the book will also keep an open mind. There has been two camps saying you either love or hate this book. However, I find myself not able to definitively say which camp I fall into because I didn't love it nor did I hate it. I found it entertaining but it just didn't excite me either way. Will I continue to read the other books? Unknown at this time, but I am not ruling it out in the future. As for watching the movies, I am not sure about that either. Only time will tell.

This was E.L. James' debut novel and as such I found her writing style rather amateurish, this is not a bad thing as one has to start somewhere and improvement can always be made. The story pace was not particularly fast, but I still found myself turning the pages to find out what happened next. The story flow could have been tightened up with some scenes being shortened, but for the most part it flowed well.

Due to the nature of this book, I do not recommend it to readers under the age of 16. I do, however, recommend this book if you love contemporary romances. - Lynn Worton

review 2017-08-19 15:08
While not quite as good as Boomerang, Bounce is still pretty sweet...
Bounce: A Boomerang Novel - Noelle August

Addictiveness:  4/5

Theme or Tone:  4/5

Flow (Writing Style):  5/5

Backdrop (World Building):  5/5

Book Cover:  2/5 It's just not right.

Narration:  4/5

Ending:  3.8/5  Cliffhanger:  Nope

Total:  4.2/5 STARS

My Thoughts

I really liked Gray and Skylar, loved that they had a age difference with the girl older than the guy.  After all, this is something I can get behind, since I'm six years older than my husband.  I will recommend this series as a whole, just on quick wit alone, that is Noelle August, aka writing team Veronica Rossi and Lorin Oberweger.  They have a writing style that is fresh and engaging.  That's not bogged down with an over abundance of overly descriptive sex scenes.  I just wish they had more for me to read.

Will I read more from this AuthorYes, I would.  I'm wondering if I would like Veronica Rossi's YA stuff now???

review 2017-08-16 16:43
Review: Love, Special Delivery by Melinda Curtis
Love, Special Delivery (A Harmony Valley Novel) - Melinda Curtis

The first half of the book is a solid 3 stars, but it falls apart in the second half. The plot moppets (Maddie's sister and Ben's godchild) grated on my nerves and sucked a lot of enjoyment from reading Maddie and Ben's story. And this is the second book I read this week that did not resolve the paternity question that is the heart of the hero's motivation - so frustrating!

Maddie is an okay heroine, although her constant smiling drove me up the wall. She has the stereotypical tragic back story, a little OTT for my taste. Her mother abandoned her and her younger sister to their grandparents, her grandmother died of cancer, her grandfather died from complications due to mismanaged diabetes and dementia, her sister is a cancer survivor, and since she had to take care of her younger sister after all that death, she never went to college and instead became a postal worker. She was given the promotion of postmaster in Harmony Valley, her grandfather's old post office that hasn't been open in more than a decade. The younger sister is a piece of work, closing in on 18 going on 8.

Ben's story isn't puppies and rainbows either. He left a fire station in Oakland, CA to move with his dying dad and mother to Harmony Valley so that his dad can finish out the 10 months left for a full retirement and benefits. Dad is the new fire chief, Ben is regulated to firefighter and to cover for dad's less than awesome health in front of the council and mayor. Oh and he is the guardian of a bratty seven year old after the brat's mother (and Ben's colleague) died in the line of firefighting duty. He is searching for said brat's father (named John Smith on the birth certificate) but there might be a chance the brat's his daughter. His mother "naps" a lot and the brat leaves the house to explore the town and find critters of the animal variety to bring home. Ben just wants to find the brat's dad, get his own dad safely to retirement, then leave this crap town for good and become a fire investigator.

Needless to say, I didn't warm to anybody in this book and I actively hated the sister and godchild/possible daughter by the end. Maddie and Ben love being in denial about their lives and constant crappy decision making. The arsonist villain got off with a slap on the wrist (excuse me "psychological evaluation") due to his advanced age. I have no interest in continuing reading this series.

review 2017-08-14 15:37
MR. TROUBLE BY: NANA MALONE
Mr. Trouble - Nana Malone

This was a cute contemporary romance. It was a quick read, which explains why like went to love rather briskly. The characters were well developed and likable. Kinsley was smart, sweet, independent lady and Jarred was your typical billionaire on the playboy path that needed something or someone to point him in a better direction. While it sounds pretty standard for the romance genre, I liked that Jarred wasn't a total jerk. It seemed like it was more him finally living up to the low expectations his parents had set for him. It was nice seeing him grow out of his parental issues and finally take his life more seriously. Kinsley and Jarred made a cute pair and they seemed good for each other. I was hoping for a little more of the happy couple at the end, but things wrapped up in a nice way.

I received an ARC of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.