logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: contemporary
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-04-20 00:51
Debut author surprises with a clever YA thriller, one that I hope doesn’t fly under the radar
Lies You Never Told Me - Jennifer Donaldson

Well, this was a surprise. The whole book was a surprise just like the secrets and lies held within, all the way until the end.

I received this book from a Goodreads giveaway some time ago and didn’t have the chance to get to it until just now, and I feel like it’s one of those books that’s going to fly under the radar and it shouldn’t.
Debut author Jennifer Donaldson has written a very cleverly crafted young adult mystery/thriller that for a good portion of it, reads like a contemporary novel, and is told through with the voices of two main characters, Gabe and Elyse, who seem to live very separate lives. There are also two other main characters central to the story, Catherine and Sasha. Gabe is a young Hispanic skater boy who tries to break up with a very possessive, but popular, high school girl called Sasha, and she is making it be known that she is not happy about this. He has a six year old sister Vivi, with special needs, who he cares very much for, and is close with his family. Elyse, on the other hand, lives a very different sort of life. She has basically fended for herself for years, even paying the household bills with jobs while she has been in high school; her mother is addicted to opiates and spends most of the time out of it lying on the couch. She has come to rely on nobody but herself, and doesn’t expect anything good of the world. Which is why, when she gets chosen for the lead in Romeo and Juliet, she can’t believe she has got the part over her best friend Brynn, but soon is swept off her feet by the school drama teacher, Mr. Hunter.
I generally try not to guess endings of stories, and I’m not one to skip ahead, so, at least for me, this novel cleverly gives you one wallop over the head when you realize what the big twist is at the end. I can not say one thing more, lest I give anything away, but this is one clever book and had me engaged entirely. There are some big topics involved here too - scary exes with major infatuation problems, and teacher-student relationships, not to mention addiction issues - but the two running storylines are excellently written and don’t rap you over the head with the morality stick (you get to think about those afterwards). I hope this gets picked up by a good lot of people who enjoy thrillers with a side of romance (there’s a lot of ‘sweet’ to go with the ‘salty’), and it’s super smart.
I’d be on the lookout for what Jennifer Donaldson writes next because I believe there are a lot more phenomenal books in her yet.
*Thank you Goodreads and Razorbill for the early copy of this book!
review 2018-04-20 00:24
Meet-cute by C.C. Dado Review
Meet-cute - C.C. Dado

Elliot Beck may not have been blessed with mad art skills, a crooner's voice, or a godlike physique, but he makes up for it with an abundance of quick-witted sarcasm, massive insecurities, and a love of bad boys.

After his best friend Trevor finds him naked and tied to his bed—abandoned by his latest troublemaker—Trevor convinces him to take a chance on a nice guy. When he has an awkward encounter in the men's restroom with a fitness instructor named Chase, he never suspects the Adonis might be his perfect bad boy.

Review

This is cute and fun and fast. I do with characters carrying more weight than your average romantic lead didn't suffer from self esteem issues (or at least not more than any other character in the book).

This is very funny in its wit and situations but not well developed. I had a good time anyway.

review 2018-04-18 22:34
Against the Wall (Firsts and Forever, #7) by Alexa Land 4 Star Review!
Against the Wall - Alexa Land

Don’t start something you can’t finish.

It’s a cliché, but 22-year-old graffiti artist Christian lives by those words. He’s going away when he graduates from art school in just six short months. With so little time left, getting involved with gorgeous Shea Nolan has to be a mistake. If only he could make himself stay away from the sweet, sexy police officer.

Christian has a decision to make. Are a few months of happiness worth the inevitable heartbreak when it’s time to walk away?

Review

This is a real great romance that really speaks to embracing joy and the part of love that means just being together.

It is hard to write this review without a spoiler. Christian keeps a big secret. He is a young character so I forgive him for his stubbornness. Shea is just the warmest and bravest. It is a great HEA.

I also love the friendship the Christian develops and the discussion of arts. There is lots of love there as well.

Painfully and very funny at times, a great romance.

review 2018-04-18 16:23
100 Days - Mimsy Hale

DNF @ 45%

I tried, I really tried to finish this book it has been a week since I started this book and my feelings about it didn't change so I finally decided to DNF it.

To me this road trip was the most boring one I have ever read about, the Mcs Jake and Aiden were dull and silly and I couldn't connect with them at all and to Jake was extremely annoying.

I decided at least I deserve to know the ending after putting up with this book for so long, even though with any other book this will be the perfect HEA for me, in this book I didn't feel it at all.

Overall this wasn't a good book for me and I didn't enjoy reading it.

review 2018-04-18 13:21
REVIEW TOUR & #GIVEAWAY - Eldridge's Release (Club Rebellion #1) by Evelise Archer
Eldridge's Release (Club Rebellion #1) - Evelise Archer
Eldridge's Release is the first book in the Club Rebellion series, but it almost feels like it should be book two. Although Johnson and Issy being together is what gets Eldridge to the Club, I would also love to hear more about them and how they got together.

Although this is mainly low-angst, Eldridge does have enough angst in his past to deal with. The relationship with Dalton moves at the speed of light, as is often the case in novellas. That does mean that there is not much in the way of character's history, or connection as the two of them move forward, but still, this is a good read, and definitely a series I would like to continue with.

With no spelling or grammatical errors to disrupt my reading flow, I have no hesitation in recommending this to those who enjoy insta-love in a fast-paced novella.

* A copy of this book was provided to me with no requirements for a review. I voluntarily read this book, and the comments here are my honest opinion. *

Merissa
Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!

Source: archaeolibrarianologist.blogspot.de/2018/04/review-tour-giveaway-eldridges-release.html