logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: contemporary
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-06-29 05:34
Have Mercy (Harlequin Blaze #398) -

Cover commentary - H is in 30s, h in late 20s. Cover appears to be a high school cheerleader and some kid who's having difficulty growing proper facial hair.

It had its moments but...

There was the whole inconsistency of the h's characterization - she's written as socially awkward in the beginning. Not shy, not suspicious; socially awkward. And yet, later she's acting perfectly normal.

The H is a reformed grifter who lies through his teeth to the h while getting into her pants.

His grandmother is out for revenge as some distant cousins who'd sent her late husband to prison are in the process of pulling a con.

It is a comedy of errors featuring the improbability of a heroine living in the closet of a crack house, having time to keep her hedge trimmed, and bouncing between being unable to talk to people and acting the consummate professional, a gypsy who broke character and abandoned his family, and of course, an old bat who resents the hell out of him going legit and while she doesn't want him to rot in prison, almost scorns his desire to avoid legal issues.

I found some of it funny, the language a bit crude for a harlequin, and well... I mostly finished it because I didn't really want to just DNF it but at the same time, I didn't want to linger - there are better books out there.

review 2017-06-28 13:20
Elastic Heart by Sincestiel
Elastic Heart - Sincestiel

Sam initially fails to tell Dean they are related upon falling in love with his half brother. A well written, highly introspective fanfic.

“Tonight we can have it all, remember? So, just for a little while, let me love you. And then, tomorrow, we can be whatever you need for us to be.”

Source: archiveofourown.org/works/8377516?view_full_work=true
review 2017-06-28 03:42
Father On The Brink - Elizabeth Bevarly

Cover commentary - is it just me or does he look like he's about to barf in her ear?

The epilogue was the best part of this one. It was pretty funny.

So the H, paramedic, working a blizzard, gets misdirected to a house where he finds a woman in labor rather than an elderly kidney patient. The woman has just discovered her marriage is a fake, and was in the process of bolting when her water broke.

She lists him as the father on the birth certificate...and bolts.

Shows up on his doorstep 2 months later, and finally tells him. Sperm donor tracks her down. She bolts again. H tracks her down, and tells her what he found about sperm donor. Convinces her he's serious about the whole marriage and family thing. Epilogue is 13 years later.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-06-28 00:56
Book Review : Talking as fast as I can Lauren Graham
Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls (and Everything in Between) - Lauren Graham,Lauren Graham

June 26-27

In her first work of nonfiction, the beloved star of Gilmore Girls and Parenthood recounts her experiences on Gilmore Girls - the first and second times - and shares stories about life, love, and working in Hollywood. This collection of essays is written in the intimate, hilarious, and down-to-earth voice that made her novel, Someday, Someday, Maybe, a New York Times best seller.
"This book contains some stories from my life: the awkward growing up years, the confusing dating years, the fulfilling working years, and what it was like to be asked to play one of my favorite characters again. You probably think I'm talking about my incredible achievement as Dolly in Hello, Dolly! as a Langley High School junior, a performance my dad called 'you're so much taller than the other kids.' But no! I'm talking about Lorelai Gilmore, who, back in 2008, I wasn't sure I'd ever see again. Also included: tales of living on a houseboat, meeting guys at awards shows, and that time I was asked to be a butt model. A hint: all three made me seasick.

Review : I loved this audio cause I'm a big gilmore girls fan I love Lauren's writing and her audiobook was awesome I loved hearing about her and her getting onto Gilmore girls and her stories in acting and her family life . And it was interesting to hear about her life and I loved when she talked about Gilmore girls a year in the life I cried I highly recommend this book .

Quotes:
But life doesn’t often spell things out for you or give you what you want exactly when you want it, otherwise it wouldn’t be called life, it would be called vending machine.

“Because who wants to Fast Forward anyway? You might miss some of the good parts

review 2017-06-27 19:59
Some Kind of Hero by Suzanne Brockmann
Some Kind of Hero: A Troubleshooters Novel - Suzanne Brockmann

2.5 stars

When Shay recognizes the crazy man trying to flag down a car as her sexy Navy SEAL neighbor, she pulls over and thus begins the ride of her life.
Peter is desperate to find his daughter and when he thinks he sees her get into a van, he knows this is his chance to get her. After an unsuccessful car chase, he finds surprising help from his neighbor.
Drug deals gone bad, the pain of loss, hurtful memories, and relationships being born and mended, Shay and Peter have quite the journey ahead of them.

The nineteenth installment in the long popular Troubleshooters series, this can be read as a standalone, as long as you don't mind missing out on the numerous in and outs of the wide cast characters. Our main couple, Shay and Peter, along with a small secondary romance involving Peter’s daughter and her older guy friend, starts fresh here so you wouldn't miss out on any details there. One of the strengths of Ms. Brockmann's stories is her ability to juggle and incorporate characters, romance, and storylines. Those components were numerous here but I'm not sure they were all pulled off.

Our hero's daughter, Maddie, is coming to live with him after her mother died; she's fifteen and hasn't seen her father in years. This is due to Peter being a Navy SEAL and what appears to be a mother who wanted to somewhat color Peter in a less than flattering light. Maddie gets caught up in a missing ten thousand dollars owed to a drug dealer and takes off to find her friend, who got her into trouble, with the friend's ex-boyfriend. This situation simply felt too forced, Maddie has a Navy SEAL father, yes, she's a sullen teenager of fifteen and doesn't have a strong relationship with him, but her life was threatened, it was a stretch to think she would take off on her own. The author provides us an outline of how mature Maddie is in some aspects, taking care of her mother and having more common sense than the twenty year old she is with, and flips the coin to show how immaturely she thinks her father is "stupid". It felt like the author was trying to have it both ways to force the storyline the way she wanted. As this is the backbone for the book, it set-up a wobbly premise with me that I don't think the story ever overcame.

Our heroine is a romance writer and when we are first introduced to her, one of her characters likes to "speak" to her and had her continuously saying "shh" out loud. It levels off as the story continues but I personally found it somewhat intrusive, I'm trying to get to know the "real" characters in the beginning, and annoying, Shay's speaking out loud to a fictional character gave a tint of corniness. I also found it a bit odd her full throttle willingness to involve herself in Peter's situation but romantic suspense usually requires a bit of lenience. Shay's character as a whole, though, was fun, capable, interesting, and someone I'd definitely want as a friend.

Peter's attitude and actions had him coming off as a genuine good guy, with a wonderful dash of wit and charisma. There was a lack of usual rom suspense action (until the very end) that had me missing him showcasing his special ops skills. He wonderfully wears his dress whites but that's almost the full extent we get of any Navy SEAL-ness. His and Shay's romance is a whirlwind that takes place over 5-6 days, so insta-lust/love does play a part here.

In order to bring Peter and Maddie together, the author has Peter tell Shay how Maddie's mother and he got together. It's a sweet way to bond father and daughter but having it go through Shay, she types up the story segments and sends them to Maddie, had it feeling a little weird and not coming off quite right. I would have liked to have Shay and Peter bonding moments over the inclusion of these stories.

Overall, this had the multi-faceted, all inclusive plethora of characters and storyline offshoots Ms. Brockmann excels at but I also did feel the romance was lacking and I missed a bit more action. If you're a Troubleshooters reader, you'll probably enjoy seeing past cast members and everyone won't want to miss Peter and Shay try to "myth bust" one of her book's sex scenes.