logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: contemporary
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-08-17 17:02
REVIEW TOUR & #GIVEAWAY - Gabriel (Legacy Ranch #2) by R.J. Scott
Gabriel - R.J. Scott,RJ Scott

Gabriel is the second book in the Legacy Ranch series, and we find out a bit more about the young man who cried at the trial that happened in book one. His life hasn't been a good one so far, but he is broken enough that he thinks it is just fine. He lives with his pimp, Stefan, who controls every aspect of his life, and makes Gabriel pay for any misdemeanours that Stefan thinks has happened, or that he has just made up because he's not having a good day. Stefan has managed to get into Gabriel's mind and twist things around so that Gabriel is actually thankful for all that Stefan does for him.

Cam, on the other hand, appears to have it all. He runs a successful hotel, has plenty of money, and even has a bodyguard. Things must be good, right? Wrong! Cam's family, with the odd exception, are a bunch of BEEP, condescending, BEEP, know-it-alls, who think that just because Cam is losing his sight, he must be losing all of his faculties too. His father, well, enough said about him!

Cam and Gabriel end up together on a purely business level. Cam needs someone to pretend to be with him, Gabriel wants the money. However, feelings quickly become involved, and then it's anyone's guess. Six tries to tell Cam not to get involved, but Cam pays no attention. Their road is anything but smooth, but luckily the folks at Legacy Ranch are there to help... once Gabriel lets them in.

This is a dark book, with dark topics and it's not a HEA situation full of rainbows and glitter. This is hard, and horrible, and may be a trigger book for some readers. There is light at the end of the tunnel for Gabriel though, and I really hope that he will feature in the next book, just so I can see what progress he's made.

Gabriel is extremely well written, with no editing or grammatical errors that disrupted my reading flow. Like I've already said, it's not an easy book to read, but it is definitely worth it. I would also say that it isn't fully necessary to have read book one in this series, or indeed the Texas series which is where we first meet Jack and Riley. This book does stand on it's own merit, but personally I would recommend reading Kyle at the minimum, just to give you a feeling of what the Legacy Ranch series is about.

If you like your M/M Romance with angst, then I can definitely recommend this book/series. Just remember the trigger warnings!

* A copy of this book was provided to me with no requirements for a review. I voluntarily read this book, and the comments here are my honest opinion. *

Merissa
Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!

Source: archaeolibrarianologist.blogspot.de/2017/08/review-tour-giveaway-gabriel-legacy.html
review 2017-08-17 11:20
Burn
The Hometown Hoax - Heather Thurmeier

This is book #3, in The Hoax Series.  This book can be read as a standalone novel.  For reader enjoyment and understanding, I recommend reading in order.

Logan met Tessa when he gave her a ride into town after an accident.  Later, they find out there is a familial connection.  He is friends with her brother.  What he does not understand, is how he is so attracted to her even after she has rejected him repeatedly.

Tessa is not wanting to move home.  She does not want anything to stop her from meeting her goals.  Her family is relentless.  Logan makes her feel things she has not felt for a while.  Is it worth taking this chance?

This was a bit of a slow burn.  It starts off with a bang, but kind of mellows out, and gets running again.  The characters are both strong, but their chemistry burns high.  I was kind of waiting for a burn out.  Luckily for me, this is an author who never disappoints.  I give this story a 3/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***This copy was given in exchange for an honest review only, by Netgalley and its publisher.

review 2017-08-17 04:57
Son of Death (Keepers of the Gods #1) by Nikki McCoy
Son of Death - Nikki McCoy

Started well enough, but shortly after turned into pure insanity.
For the first time ever I found myself skimming through BDSM scenes.
Son of Death, Jamie, is a whiny little bitch who I cannot stand. The big bad Dom, Seth, is uber crazed on sex. Instead of figuring out Jamie's situation - the "little one" (seriously? kindergarten much? bleh-acck .... One bleach, here, please, 9 ounces!) has issues upon issues, not to mention there is someone out there bent on doing him in, like now - Seth does nothing but f*ck his new toys for two weeks straight. Apparently, sex is a priority.
Nothing makes sense in this story, there is no logic to characters' actions or thought process.

Read it for a challenge. 1 star.

PS I am removing BDSM tag. What happens in this books is a hot mess; it's not sexy, it's not enjoyable and it has major issues :/

review 2017-08-17 04:51
Damned If You Do by Marie Sexton
Damned If You Do - Marie Sexton,Kelly Martin,Digitally Imagined

Seth is a healer, but with every person healed, he himself is getting closer to death. Knowing what healing in the long run entitles, he decides to break free before it's too late. "Not so fast, brother!" says handsome black man Zed with his James Earl Jones's voice, and makes Seth stay, rending him unable to leave the circus revival.

Abaddon is a soul collector. The Hell he lives in, tho I am sure hellishly horrible, sounds pretty amusing and sometimes funny. He is buried in paperwork and is under pressure to collect souls.

MCs meet, they fall in love, they suffer, they cry, they offer all kinds of sacrifices to save the other and, I don't believe this is much of a spoiler, they live to be together. All the usual works.

Now, angels, hippy revivals, devils, soul collectors don't entice me in any way. I read this book for a challenge in which I needed a book with a devil, and only because it's Marie Sexton so I knew it would be as good as I could get. On the whole, it was 3 star-ish for me. Once again, it's me, not the book.

BUT! Just like Abaddon found a bright soul in Bible Belt, I found a bright couple of lines in this not-my-fav-trope book.

Tom Brady and Bill Belichick did if for me. I am bumping my rating up to 4. 'Cause PATS! 'Cause BRADY! =) This wasn't just bright, this was brilliant! :D And funny :)

review 2017-08-17 04:30
Deep Magic (Deep Magic #1) by Gillian St. Kevern
Deep Magic - Gillian St. Kevern

The ending seemed as tangled as Dewy's hair at one point, and was dealt with it the same way - cut short. But on the whole - pure magic. I loved it to pieces :)
And yeah, Vegemite... @.@  lol