logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: contemporary
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-10-20 19:26
A feasting soucouyant?
White is for Witching - Helen Oyeyemi

White is for witching, a colour to be worn so that all other colours can enter you, so that you may use them.

Creepy, intriguing, mysterious, frustrating, and melancholy, White is for Witching had a very strong start that sagged a bit in the middle and then ultimately puttered out into its own enigmatic mysteries.

Miranda can’t come in today Miranda has a condition called pica she has eaten a great deal of chalk—she really can’t help herself—she has been very ill—Miranda has pica she can’t come in today, she is stretched out inside a wall she is feasting on plaster she has pica try again:

To me, the house (and any real or imagined non-human inhabitants) is the sun with Miranda being Mercury, her twin brother Eliot as Venus, and their father Earth. Secondary characters such as a friend Miranda makes at college called Ore would be a moon of Mercury and the housemaid Sade could be a comet. This is an odd way to place the characters but I don't want to spoil too much of the story but still give an idea of the story's placement of characters.

The way this story is written and structured is different, povs from mainly Miranda, Eliot, and the house (yes, the house has a pov), flow in and out with blips from Sade, Ore, and maybe a couple other minor ones I am forgetting. You need to be on your game to fully understand who is talking but even then, things can get confusing with possible unreliable narrators and not knowing what is real and mental health issues.

The horror of the story is that there is a house that is possibly haunted, maybe by a soucouyant (a witch in Caribbean folklore), maybe by a curse on the female line of a family, and maybe simply a daughter that lost her mother and is spiraling down a mental health destructive hole. This story centers on women, their strengths and weaknesses; Eliot plays a good sized role but he is still clearly on the sidelines along with his father who is ineffectual in his drowning grief for his wife.

They were naked except for corsets laced so tightly that their desiccated bodies dipped in and out like parchment scrolls bound around the middle. They stared at Miranda in numb agony. Padlocks were placed over their parted mouths, boring through the top lip and closing at the bottom. Miranda could see their tongues writhing.

The beginning had me captured with Eliot leading us into the story about how his mother died and how his sister is withering away because she seems only able to eat chalk. From Eliot's point of view it seems more like a mental health issue with occasional povs from the house and Miranda popping in to make you believe in the shiver going up your spine. The middle starts to transition to more of Miranda's point of view, her struggles with her mental health and the house, along with looks at Miranda's female ancestors.

When Miranda leaves the house for a little while is when the story started to lose me a bit. Sade and Ore get added to the story, I thought Ore was too late of an additive and even though she brought an outside look and probably worked to more definitively answer the mental health or truly haunted question, I missed the atmosphere of the house and Eliot with Miranda.

I’m to go home. The house wants me,” she cried. The moonlight made her look blue. It made her look as if she was dead. She opened my window and sat herself on the ledge; she dangled her bare legs over it. We were four floors up.

I don't know how many have watched the tv series The Leftovers but this story gave me the same kind of feelings. Majorly intriguing start, with questions, mysteries, and interesting characters everywhere, only to maybe out write themselves and end up leaving a lot up in the air in a way that devalues the story.

As far as giving you the heebie jeebies, this will definitely do it, some scenes had me looking hard into dark corners in my house. As far as the characters sticking with me, probably not, as they didn't quite become fully fleshed out to me. I do know I would love to see this made into a limited series, Netflix get on that, the psychomanteum room scenes would be chilling good.

That was the first and last time I’ve heard my own voice.

review 2018-10-19 02:18
Sweet Montana Outlaw: Contemporary Western Romance by Lisa Mondello
Sweet Montana Outlaw: Contemporary Western Romance - Lisa Mondello

Brody is a man with a past. Having made some bad choices in the name of love, Brody is trying to move forward and not look back. Tara thought she could outrun her heartache, but the pain seems to stalk her wherever she goes. Forced together by an act that changed the course of both their lives, can this walking tragedy become a testament to love and all it's glory? Sweet Montana Outlaw is a heartbreaking look at how no good deed goes unpunished. Brody acted out of love and that one act affected many lives. Brody and Tara's path is littered with prejudice, heartbreak, anger, loss and tragedy. Out of all that pain comes a tale of redemption that despite the odds finds the courage to love.

review 2018-10-19 01:21
Sweet Montana Secrets: Contemporary Western Romance by Lisa Mondello
Sweet Montana Secrets: Contemporary Western Romance - Lisa Mondello

Sweet Montana Secrets is a tale of two strong people who never learned how to be weak. What neither has realized is that the greatest power comes from allowing yourself to be vulnerable. Mondello has a talent for haunting readers with the most flawed characters. That's what makes them relatable. We've felt the pain. We've seen the despair, but we found the courage to begin again. We live. We learn. We conquer. We love. Only then can we heal.

review 2018-10-18 07:09
Hero
Loving A Warrior - Melanie Backe-Hansen

Matt literally runs into Shane the week before he begins his training.  When they see one another next, it is under high pressure conditions.  He cannot help that he is attracted to his buddy.  He just has to be a big boy and control it.

Shane is equally attracted to Matt.  Which will break and act on it first?  Being a SEAL is what these men want.  That means giving to their country, more than to themselves.  Shane is not sure he can choose that anymore.

I was truly impressed with both the characters and the information given about the scenario.  This was a really well written story and I could not put it down!  I loved the banter, and the humor.  I especially loved how real the book felt.  Like I was with them in the moment.  I give this story a 4/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***This ARC copy was given in exchange for an honest review, by Netgalley and its publishers.

review 2018-10-18 05:41
Play me
The Player Gets Coached (Bachelor #2) - Janet Nissenson

This is book #2 in the Bachelor series.  This can be read as a standalone novel.  For reader understanding and to avoid spoilers, I recommend reading this series in order.

Finn is disturbed that he is the only one who has not traditionally grown up.  He finds a woman he is interested in, and she is a maneater of the skilled kind.  How does he show her he can be her match?

Delilah is not impressed by first sighting of Finn.  She is not wanting to date a manwhore who can never make up his mind what he wants in a woman.  They clash and it is like the player must learn to be played.

This story was pretty slow.  The beginning has a lot of back story and the characters are rich and colorful.  I enjoyed the banter and the high heat factor.  Was a great addition to the series, and a good read.  I give this a 3/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***This early copy was given in exchange for an honest review only.