logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: couldn\'t-put-down
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-03-08 00:00
The Woman Who Couldn't Scream
The Woman Who Couldn't Scream - Christin... The Woman Who Couldn't Scream - Christina Dodd

Welcome back to Virtue Falls!! The Woman Who Couldn't Scream brings us the story of Merida/Helen/Merry. She has had a tragic life and is now seeking revenge against the man who ruined her dreams. Of course, its never quite that simple, is it?

The book also gives us more Kateri, now the sheriff of Virtue Falls. Kateri is having some issues of her own. Some of the townspeople are NOT pleased with her as sheriff. She is a female and a Native American and they are sexist and racist. Also, she can't seem to catch killer John Terrence. And then a serial killer arrives and starts carving up peoples faces!

The plot weaves between Kateri and Merida, who were childhood friends in Baltimore. Their stories don't overlap much except for Kateri being the sheriff and Merida being in trouble. So, the story reads almost like 2 parallel tales that happen to cross paths a few times. It isn't a bad thing, but it was a bit of a let down because I felt both stories could have been better. Neither outcome was surprising and that isn't usually the case for a Christina Dodd book.

My issue aside, The Woman Who Couldn't Scream is still a fantastic read. You have so many zany and interesting secondary characters in the people of Virtue Falls and Dodd layers the plot intricately well. If you like mystery with a dash of romance, The Woman Who Couldn't Scream is a great pick. The narrator, Andi Arndt does a wonderful job with lots of different voices and accents. She adds to the story without distracting you.

• POV: 3rd
  • Tears: no
  • Trope: revenge, secret identity
  • Triggers: none
  • Series/Standalone: stand alone (you really don't have to have read any of the other virtue falls books to understand and enjoy The Woman Who Couldn't Scream)
  • Cliffhanger: no
  • HEA: HFN: Merida and Benedict leave town together; HEA: Kateri and Stag get engaged

Pretend You're Safe by Alexandra Ivy, Monster in the Closet by Karen Rose, Touch of Red by Laura Griffin...then you will probably like The Woman Who Couldn't Scream!

The Woman Who Couldn't Scream

ibooks-icon amazon-icon-star

image

See full review on The Book Disciple
review 2016-10-19 16:51
Book Review - The Girl Who Couldn't Come Up With an Original Title
The Girl Who Couldn't Come Up With an Original Title - The Behrg

This contains two short stories covering the topics of depression and suicide.

I found both stories interesting and could relate to the thoughts and feelings of the characters. These are dark, emotive and surprisingly descriptive for such short stories.

The author also tells us a little about himself, which I found interesting too.

review 2016-08-15 01:55
Children's Review: The Bear Who Couldn't Sleep
The Bear Who Couldn't Sleep - Caroline Nastro,Vanya Nastanlieva

We received this book via NetGalley to give an honest review.

I read this to A and she loved it. She giggled when the bear was trying to find a place to sleep to the bird eating out of a popcorn bucket.

The illustrations were lovely and went well with the story and had that sleepy feel to it. If that makes sense.

Bear and his family should all be sleeping but when Bear can not sleep he looks for adventure as he is restless little does he know that he will be tired soon and the best place to sleep is at home.

We follow Bear on his adventure and see what sees and hears. There is a reason New York is the city that never sleeps and Bear finds out.

This makes for a perfect bedtime story and might just get your kiddos ready to close their eyes and sleep.

review 2016-08-07 20:43
Abandoned, Life is Too Short With So Many other Books on my To Read
Burning Desire - Rachel Maldonado

I have a burning desire to abandon this book, and since life is too short and my to read list is to long, I am walking away. I made it to the 15% mark and had already said to myself "who talks this way?" one to many times. Seriously, Candi gets pulled from a fire by Suzanne and later that same day they are best buds. I don't care how traumatic the experience no one is going to be thinking about how "glad they are to have a friend so far from home" about a total stranger (10%)

Now, having said this, I suspect that if I was new to the lesbian genre I'd have read this entire story and enjoyed it; plus it was free on Kindle Unlimited. So hey, if you're new to reading lesbian stories, enjoy have fun. I'm sure this writer will get better with time.

review 2016-06-29 19:14
The Bear Who Couldn't Sleep by Caroline Nastro
The Bear Who Couldn't Sleep - Caroline Nastro,Vanya Nastanlieva

The Bear Who Couldn't Sleep by Caroline Nastro (Author) & Vanya Nastanlieva (Illustrator) is a charming & engaging children's book for ages four to eight years.

The bear who couldn't sleep during the winter first attempted to visit his neighbors but they were all sleeping. He kept walking & arrived in New York City. He loved the city that never sleeps. Then he got very tired but couldn't find a quiet, undisturbed place to sleep. So he walked & walked again.

I gave this cleverly written story four stars. Some of the illustrations were delightful. Some of them were a little dark.

I received a complimentary copy from North South Books Inc. & NetGalley. That did not change my opinion for this review.

Link to purchase: https://www.amazon.com/Bear-Who-Couldnt-Sleep/dp/073584268X

This book is in pre-order status so not reviewed on Amazon or Barnes & Nobles.