logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: cowboy
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-12-13 14:24
SEASON'S READINGS A True Cowboy Christmas by Caitlin Crews

A True Cowboy Christmas (Cold River Ranch, #1)Cold Creek Ranch #1, I love when new series start off with Christmas books. Cold Creek Ranch is in Colorado up high in the Rocky Mountains, a hard place to live. I really enjoyed this book I loved the characters; Gray, Abby, and Becca were well written and easy to connect with. Gray is a hard man being raised by a man who was hateful, ungrateful, and just plain ornery Gray was determined never to be like his father. The biggest way to do that was to not repeat his mistakes he's already done it once and payed the price for it, marrying a flaky girl who couldn't keep her pants on, had no interest in staying at Cold Creek Ranch and died leaving with her lover. One good thing did come out of the marriage his daughter Becca. With his old man dead and buried and his brothers, Ty and Brody, wanting to sell of the land the brothers start to argue. Brody and Ty worry about Gray and they are afraid he will end up like their father, all alone and mean. So Gray comes up with the idea that he needs a wife, one that he knows is steadfast, loves Longhorn Valley and Cold Creek, someone with roots just as deep as his.

Abby Douglas has always loved Gray Everett and now he's proposing to her, something she's always dreamed of but not for the right reasons. Ever since Gray came up with the idea of marrying Abby he's looked at her in a new light more as a woman than just his neighbor and he likes what he sees. The more time he spends with her the more the attraction grows but Gray has spent to long with the main focus of his life as the ranch he's already more like his father than he thinks. All Gray needs is Abby's steadfastness, her unassuming beauty, and her honesty to knock some sense into him but is she willing to risk her heart for something that may never be reciprocated?

Overall, this was a heartfelt and emotional read. The Everett boys aren't 100% mended but they are off to a great start.Abby and Becca have so much in common they form a quick bond and they are good for each other just as much as Abby is good for Gray. This story was addictive I didn't want it to end I look forward to the rest of the series.

review 2018-12-12 16:13
SEASON'S READINGS Santa's On His Way anthology

Santa's on His WaySanta's On His Way anthology
By Lisa Jackson, Maisey Yates, Stacy Finz, Nicole Helm

What the Cowboy Wants for Christmas: Maisey YatesMeg, Charlie, and Noah all met as teens living in the same foster home. Meg fell instantly in love with Charlie for the last thirteen years she's waited for him, waited to be old enough, waited for him to get a good job, waited for him to come home from New York but this year she decided to stop waiting especially after finding him in bed with another woman. Noah has been a constant in Meg's life and has been in love with her for just as long and finally this year is the year he has his chance to finally show Meg how he feels.

Overall, it was a really nice and steamy read with lots of emotion. Meg looks back on her life and sees things differently than she use too and once she gets all that figured out everything falls into place.

Snowed In: Stacy Finz
My favorite of the book! I absolutely love Glory Junction. As soon as I read in the last Glory Junction book the animosity between Rachel and Boden I knew this was going to be great. Rachel Johnson left her big city corporate lawyer job to pursue her dream of being a baker. Now she owns a fantastic bakery and is looking to expand and she knows just the place. Boden Farmer turned the tired old bar into a gastro pub and he has plans to expand himself but in the meantime he's working the bar for parties which brings him in close proximity to Rachel. They are both prepping for the Christmas Day wedding when they get snowed in. With no distractions standing in their way they finally drop their walls low enough to let each other in but their is still the matter that they both want the same location for their business.

Overall, I loved this one. It's a quick and easy read with funny situations and loveable characters. Rachel has been burned once before so she's hesitant to let anyone else in it takes a grand gesture from Boden to show her he's worth the risk.

A Cowboy Wedding for Christmas: Nicole Helm
Lindsay Tyler dreamed of leaving her hometown behind and she did she left after high school and vowed never to come back. Cal Barton thought he was enough for Lindsay, that she would stay for him and when she left town she broke his heart. After six years of living life on her own Lindsay is homesick she's had her time to grow up and discover who she really is and that person belongs with her family. When her brother gets engaged and she comes home for the wedding she's staying home for good. Now she just has to make it through the wedding at Cal's Christmas Tree Ranch without falling back in love with him.

Overall, this was a nice emotional read about how sometimes to need to be apart and discover who you are away from the comforts of home to really appreciate the place where you belong.

A Baby For Christmas: Lisa Jackson
1995 Annie McFarlane is newly divorced when her husband's girlfriend ends up pregnant. After discovering she may never be able to conceive and then her husband leaving Annie was having a horrible year. 1996 Liam O'Shaughnessy needs to find the real killer of his boss before he gets convicted of murder his only lead is the woman who claimed she saw him there but she's disappeared but he's found her sister. Annie found solace in a small house in the middle of nowhere looking after an older couple ranch. Her plan was to stay a few more days before going to visit her brother and his family but late one night she discovers a baby on her front step with a note "For you Annie". The next night Liam shows up at her door claiming the baby is his and demands to know where her sister, the baby's mother, is but Annie has no idea and with a blizzard blowing in they are stuck together to work it out.

Overall, this one fell short. I love Lisa Jackson's older stuff and this feels like it's only half a book. It feels like there is so much missing from this story. I love the idea of it and the plot and if there is a full version of this story out there I want to read it but this as is is lacking.

review 2018-12-05 14:13
ARC REVIEW The Last True Cowboy by Laura Drake

The Last True Cowboy (Chestnut Creek, #1)Chestnut Creek #1, This is a new author for me and I am so glad I picked this one up. It amazed me how real this book seemed to me, how emotionally this book pulled me in and the citizens of Unforgiven are right Carly and Austin are better than T.V. I also loved that this book took place in New Mexico, as much as I love my home state of Texas it's nice to see NM get some attention.

Carly and Austin have been together since Kindergarten and shared the same dreams through it all until Carly didn't any more. At twenty-nine Carly figured she'd be married already with babies already but Austin first love is the rodeo and his "one more year" got to be one year too many. Unfortunately for Carly no one believes that she's serious that she had it with Austin, so in a fit of rebelliousness she buys a motorcycle, and then she goes of to Albuquerque to let off some steam. Austin has a hard time reconciling the fact that Carly means business and after he realizes it he's left at a loss and this time there is no more "one more year" he leaves the rodeo and now he left floundering, wondering if he can achieve his dream without Carly.

Overall, this is probably one of the best second chance books I've read in awhile. The old adage, If you love something let it go, fits in nicely with this story. I love that Carly and Austin had to grow up apart from each other to find out who they really were as adults and not just love sick kidds. This is a sweet and sexy story that plays with your heartstrings. First person that switches between Carly and Austin mostly Carly at the beginning but as the book goes on you see more and more of Austin's POV. Carly's past of self discovery is quite amusing and I love Nevada, I'm glad she's getting her own book.

show activity (+)
review 2018-12-04 17:49
Cowboy, Cross My Heart
Cowboy, Cross My Heart - Donna Grant
What was meant to be a relaxing trip home turns into quite an ordeal for Naomi as she finds her best friend caught up in some corrupt affairs.

Naomi had just returned home to Texas to visit her mother and best friend, Whitney who was the reigning Rodeo Queen. Attending a roping competition with Whitney, Naomi was viewing the cowboys and everything around them through the lens of her camera. Naomi had left this world behind to attend college and begin her photography career. Being home, reminded Naomi of what she had left behind. Whitney had been acting strangely since Naomi had arrived and now, viewing Whitney through her camera Naomi could see that what she had felt, was not just a feeling. Naomi now had proof, as she clicked her camera, that Whitney was not acting like herself.

The struggle was real as someone tried to pull Naomi’s camera away from her. Naomi struggled to hold onto it and soon someone else was helping her. In the end, she now had the broken camera. Who tried to take it from her, they don’t know but Whitney seems upset with Naomi for wanting to investigate the matter. Seems a bit strange but with Whitney acting weird to start with, perhaps these two incidents are related? Naomi decides to develop the film which was inside the camera and that’s when events in the book start getting interesting.

With the pictures developed, more individuals are added to the troubles in the novel. Brice, the individual who helped save Naomi’s camera, and his family now play an important role in the novel. This was originally a short visit to Texas, but there is an immediate attraction between Naomi and Brice. Things gets pretty hot between the two of them as this investigation gets underway.

There are some very evil men who take advantage of their power in this book. Why they went this route is beyond me but they needed to be stopped but they had other plans first.

I read that this book is the second in the series but this is the first book that I had read and I didn’t feel lost as I read it. I enjoyed the story and I liked the male characters the most. They seemed more honest and reliable. There were a few parts in the story that I felt were kooky. As I read these parts I was thinking, what? Are you serious? So that just happened and I am supposed to believe that without any explanation. I wished the author would have provided some backup for all the major events in this story, it would have made it more believable.

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

show activity (+)
review 2018-11-30 12:05
REVIEW BY MERISSA - The Cowboy and the Pencil-Pusher by S.C. Wynne
The Cowboy and the Pencil-Pusher - S.C. Wynne

The Cowboy and the Pencil-Pusher is the first book by S.C. Wynne I have read, and I enjoyed it.

In this story, we meet Paul - a man trained to think without feelings, to let cold, hard facts rule him. He was trained this way by his father, but then his dad had a heart attack, which led him to an epiphany. A result of this, is his dad is trying to do things with more feelings. This leaves Paul completely confused and unsure of what he is supposed to do. Paul has to go to a ranch and see Cort and his grandpa, because their payments have fallen behind. Paul would be happy just to foreclose on them, but his dad wants it done differently. Enter Cort. Everything that Paul shouldn't want, but does. Throw in a complicated ex, a stampede, and sexy times, and there you have it.

I loved Paul's character, prissy though he was. There were reasons for the way he acted, and you find them out slowly throughout the book. Cort I loved, up until Riley reappeared in his life. It's funny, because I could get behind him when Riley was just a name, but how he acted once Riley was there, didn't like that. I know Paul couldn't give him the answer he wanted, but to fall back in with Riley was just the easy, familiar route. It didn't seem to mesh very well with the Cort portrayed throughout most of the book. He really was a two-sided character - one with Riley, and one with everyone else.

On the whole though, I did enjoy this book. The pacing was smooth, and the character development was there, in Paul at least

Source: archaeolibrarian.wixsite.com/website/single-post/2018/11/30/The-Cowboy-and-the-Pencil-Pusher-by-SC-Wynne