logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: crime
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-11-21 16:29
a 4 star scorcher!
Temptation and Treachery (Dangerous Desi... Temptation and Treachery (Dangerous Desires) - Sahara Roberts
Independent reviewer for Archaeolibrarian, I was gifted my copy of this book. Using the official blurb, cos whatever I write comes out all kinds of wrong! Andres “Rio” Rivera became his ICE profile years ago. Cold and calculating, he never promises anything beyond right now. But when he ends up with a cancelled flight and a shared hotel room with the secretive Celeste Patron, the fire behind Celeste’s buttoned-up exterior melts every barrier. He may only have her for one night, but that’s long enough to make her every fantasy come true. When Celeste leaves, Rio returns to hunting a notorious cartel leader. His shock upon arresting the man is eclipsed when he discovers the woman he fell for is his daughter…and she’s pregnant with Rio’s baby. I was thinking, before I started this book, I really need a down and dirty book. One with instant powerful attraction and a good deal of heat, maybe a scorcher, just to lose myself in. And boy did this deliver! Celeste's attraction to Rio is instant and extremely powerful. her alter ego Vix strongly approves of Celeste's choice! They get their down and dirty on early in the book, and once they get their wires uncrossed, and Celeste realizes that Rio is trying to keep her safe, they get it on again! Phew!! Other than the scorching heat level, the fact that Rio is after Celeste's father for Cartel crimes, and that he might not actually be responsible for those crimes, I figured really quickly who might really be. I did not think he would put Celeste's life in danger. Surprised at that bit! This is, from what I see, book 3 in the series. I did not know that before I went in, so I saw some future stories playing in my head as I read this one. But it appears all that plotting and planning was for nothing, since the pair I set up together, have their own, SEPARATE books! I would like to read them, especially if they are as hot as this one! A very well written, well needed.... 4 stars **same worded review will appear elsewhere**

review 2017-11-21 06:28

Publisher: Random House

Publication Date: 10/31/2017

Format: Kindle

My Rating: 5 Stars

Linwood Barclay returns with his riveting series, Promise Falls following The Twenty Three #3 (2016) with his best yet, in the twisty PARTING SHOT (#4) — a fitting title for his latest riveting thriller.

Packed with a serious savage punch, and more twists than the Pacific Hwy., we revisit the small fictional town of Promise Falls in upstate New York, outside of Albany.

A small town filled with scandal and secrets and an overwhelming need for revenge and some evil vigilante justice!

However, often we find the revenge is directed at the wrong person which causes some major problems for everyone involved. (sorry, killed the wrong person-collateral damage).

Read My Reviews:
Broken Promise #1
Final Assignment #1.5
Far From True #2
The Twenty-Three #3

PARTING SHOT almost slipped by me. Thank goodness, the minute I received the newsletter from the author, I was on Amazon clicking away to purchase this one.

Having read every book in this engrossing series, PARTING SHOT was my favorite. I stayed up until 5 am two mornings in a row to finish. It was worth every minute.

Again, keep your scorecard handy and hang on for a roller coaster wild ride!

This time around, we revisit with characters PI Cal Weaver and Detective Barry Duckworth (two of my favorites) from Promise Falls. Even though the two guys are familiar with one another, neither of the two realize the other is working separate cases which will ultimately connect.

I for one, am hoping these two go into business together for future books. A huge fan of the series.

There is a common interest that bridges the two cases. Just Deserts.

A vigilante. A website for those who want Justice. Even though not in the legal sense. People all over the planet inspired to exact vengeance on people who've got it coming, hoping like crazy that what they do is nasty enough to be honored on the website.

Of course, Promise Falls is well known in this department. Getting even.

Duckworth almost died in the last book and is now a hero. He loves his donuts; however, his wife wants him around a little longer and has changed his diet. He is now down to 233 (loss of 47 pounds). However, he is still tempted.

Could he be getting too old for the job? Maybe a career change is in order?

His is married to Maureen and has a son named Trevor (now twenty-five living back at home). Duckworth's current case takes him to a bar, Knights and when he looks at the surveillance video; his son is lip locking in a corner with some gal, named Carol. Unemployed, but out drinking and evidently up to something secretive.

What do they have to do with the abduction?

A guy, Brian Gaffney was abducted from the bar and he does not remember anything. However, he has tattooed on his back, “I’m the sick F*** who killed Sean. He has no clue what this means? He seeks Duckworth’s help.

There was also an older case of a younger guy, Craig Pierce(known sex offender) who molested a mentally handicapped girl and someone had taken matters into their own hands, months ago- since the law did not make him pay.

Someone abducted him and had a dog to literally disfigure him. Half his face is missing, plus some manly private parts (ouch). The guy is barely alive. However, he is out to find the person who did this to him.

Could it be the same person after Jeremy this time?

However, did what happened to Brian have anything to do with the other cases, or was he in the wrong place at the wrong time?

Cal Weaver has suffered much loss from the previous books. His wife and son are gone. He is moving on and out on his own with a PI business.

His assignment takes him to twenty-something, Jeremy’s family. The wealthy grand-aunt, alcoholic mother-Gloria, her boyfriend, Bob, attorney, Grant Finch and big deal businessman, rich Galen Broadhurst – the guy who owned the Porch.

Jeremy, was supposedly drunk driving one of his father’s friends' 9ll Porch and ran over and killed a young innocent girl. The attorney and mother helped him get off (so he did not have to do prison time), and there are many which are unhappy.

They dubbed him as The Big Baby. He also has a friend Charlene. (many red herring here). The website followers are all over this case. They want to make him pay, since the legal system did not.

Was there something else at play here they overlooked in the original investigation? Was Jeremy really guilty? You can be sure Cal will find it.

Now throw in the mix, Jeremy and Brian look similar. Also to complicate matters, Brian was seeing a married woman Jessica (which he was unaware of her status). Also, Brian’s neighbors have issues (this gets quite comical with the dad).

Why would someone tattoo something permanently etched into someone’s skin? A hidden message?

In the social media world and in real life, they are making Jeremy and his family miserable. They are in danger. They call in Cal to be his so-called bodyguard while investigating. However, Cal digs a little deeper into Jeremy’s past problems and gets too close to the truth putting them in more danger.

Cal is on the run with Jeremy to keep the wolves away and get him out of town; however, someone is tracking them. However, it may be more than one person after them with different motives.

Wow, PARTING SHOT was unputdownable! As always, in addition to the main cases, there are also always some entertaining secondary characters which always bring more exciting drama. Leave it up to Barclay to bring in another shocker added twist at the 98% mark.

Supercharged, from social media attacks and those who want to make their mark no matter how far they have to go to achieve their status.

One of my favorite authors, (have read all his books), Barclay delivers a non-stop action crime thriller, in this town of wacky and dysfunction. A powerful writer, Barclay keeps the dry humor, domestic suspense, surprises, and plot twists coming full throttle from upstate New York to Cape Cod— there is never a dull moment.

If you have not experienced Linwood Barclay, highly suggest you get started. For fans of Michael Robotham and Harlan Coben as well as those readers who enjoy intelligent dark thrillers with loads of twists.

Can’t wait to see what’s next! It is high time for a movie. What an imagination and an amazing storyteller.

JDCMustReadBooks

Source: www.judithdcollinsconsulting.com/single-post/2017/10/08/Parting-Shot
review 2017-11-20 21:55
16 Tasks of the Festive Season: Square 12 - Saturnalia: Sayers's Harlequinade
Murder Must Advertise: A BBC Full-Cast Radio Drama - Full Cast,Ian Carmichael,Dorothy L. Sayers

Another quick trip down memory lane, courtesy of the BBC's full cast audio adaptation of this novel starring Ian Carmiachel (who also starred in the first of the Beeb's two TV series based on Sayers's novels).

This was Sayers's revenge on the advertising business, based on her own early job experience as an advertising copywriter -- as well as (so her biographers tell us) her revenge on an ex-colleague who tried to blackmail her and who is made to tumble down an iron staircase modelled on the one at their former workplace, ending up dead. -- This is also the one Wimsey book (perhaps with the exception of the very first one, Whose Body?) where Wimsey is, at times, most similar to Bertie Wooster ... except that he's playing a role here, as he has been smuggled into Pym's Publicity for purposes of an undercover investigation into the tumbled-down man's death.  What ensues is one of Sayers's wildest rides; a veritable harlequinade that has Wimsey even impersonating himself (or his evil look-alike cousin).

I would have preferred to obtain a reading of Sayers's actual book by Ian Carmichael (he was a brilliant narrator and had played Wimsey so often by the time these audio recordings came around that he had the character down pat and could slip him on and off like a well-worn sweater), but since for this particular book that doesn't seem to be available, I'll happily content myself with this full cast recording.

review 2017-11-20 21:02
16 Tasks of the Festive Season: Square 2 - Bon Om Touk: Murder on a Secret Island
The Lighthouse (Adam Dalgliesh, #13) - P.D. James
The Lighthouse - P.D. James,Michael Jayston

P.D. James's penultimate Dalgliesh novel, revisited courtesy of the splendid unabridged reading by Michael Jayston (known to fans of John le Carré as Peter Guillam from the adaptation of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy starring Alec Guinness as George Smiley).

I am, bit by bit, working my way through the Dalgliesh series, though not in chronological order but in the order I can get hold of the Michel Jayston CDs.  This book is one of my favorite entries in the series, not least because Kate Miskin finally gets to show her mettle when Dalgliesh is temporarily out of commission.

The story takes Dalgliesh and his team to Combe Island on the Cornish coast, a secret retreat for small select groups of government officials and VIPs, to investigate the murder of a an author who is (well, was) as arrogant and egotistical as he was brilliant as a writer -- in other words, your textbook classic mystery murder victim.

As I revisit this series, I am becoming downright nostalgic -- they just don't make 'em like P.D. James and Adam Dalgliesh anymore.  Probably Baroness James was wise to bring the series to an end when she did, going out on a high note with The Private Patient (2008), but man ...this is so head and shoulders above the vast majority of mystery writing published these days, it's not even funny.

Since this book fits the theme for Bon Om Touk -- read a book that takes place on the sea, near the sea, or on a lake or a river, or read a book that has water on the cover -- I decided to apply my audio excursion down memory lane to that square.

review 2017-11-20 16:39
London Noir by Ann Girdharry
London Noir: A gripping crime suspense t... London Noir: A gripping crime suspense thriller (Kal Medi Book 2) - Ann Girdharry

Closure for the first book.
All the things that you felt left hung in Good Girl Bad Girl were answered and put to rest in this book. I did love that, and the new plot too, as well as feeling it's complete.
If Kal Medi is in  a third book, it would HAVE to be a new plot, story and everything. No questions were left raised in book 2.
It was more exciting for me, and that is rare for a second book to better than the first. I feel that was as this story had a beginning, middle and end, where the first book wasn't like that at all.
Really good stuff together though!! I know many of you will enjoy reading about Kal Medi and all that she gets herself into.

Source: www.fredasvoice.com/2017/11/win-london-noir-by-ann-girdharry-intl.html