logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: csl-bullet-reviews
Load new posts () and activity
review 2015-09-21 21:56
Sure it's flawed - but I loved it anyway!
The Astronaut Wives Club - Lily Koppel

I LOVED THIS SO BAD!

What I hated: how short it was and how much it skipped over. I realize that this is probably from interviews done many years after the events, but I felt many missions (such as the infamous Apollo 13) were glosses over.

What I loved: everything else! It's all about these incredible diverse women trying to pretend to be the perfect 50's housewife under the scrutiny of the media. Real Housewives? Eat your heart out! Oh, yeah, and these women DONT have to women-hate each other either.

I particularly loved the end where the women, split up from their men, come together for community with these other women. Truly, the space race would have gone NOWHERE without women like Louise, Annie, Rene and Betty (I HEART BETTY!!).

(I don't typically address other reviews but this one has quite a few 1- and 2- stars that I feel I must. 1) I do get that the writing style is weird. I found it weird too - talking about one thing then suddenly saying that "Sputnik" means "Traveler". Weird. But honestly, I got so absorbed, it fled into the background. 2) No citations. This likewise bugs me - but the author hints that she may have done interviews which is why you don't see a bibliography. These women's stories have been shut up for years; I wouldn't be surprised if this is the first and only book about them.)

review 2015-09-21 21:55
Even the narrator couldn't give a f@#$ about this book
Alpha - Catherine Asaro

Bullet Review:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...I'm done. Don't care about 8000 year old Thomas and his family woes. Don't care about Alpha. Just don't care. Also, didn't realize this was a second book.

Life is just too short for me to spend it on books like this; maybe I'll try it again. Narrator is not very impressive; sounds bored TO DEATH (this probably didn't help).

And fanboys/girls, before you shrill at me for my review, let's all remember: It is MY OPINION. You are more than entitled to love this and make many beautiful babies with it. I willingly admit that this is a "it's not you, it's me" book. Doesn't mean that I'll change my feelings or rating however.

review 2015-09-21 21:54
What a fun adventure!
Pawn of Prophecy - David Eddings

Bullet Review:

Give the girl a medal! She finished it!

What a fun ride - but gorrammit did Eddings HAVE to end it THAT WAY? We got some answers (thank Bilbo for that!) but dayum, it took awhile! And now, in order to get more answers and closure, I gotta find book 2!

Slightly Updated Bullet Review (More Coffee, Less Snoozes):

I had a LOT of fun reading this. It's pretty much your classic Hero's Journey story - a young boy with a MYSTERIOUS past sees all these crazy things going on. He joins his aunt-figure and a wizened old man on a journey to find something - what, he doesn't know. As he journeys, he meets new peoples (Barak and Silk), learns new skills (basically sign language) and starts to learn the truth about himself and those he thought he knew best.

I'm not going to bother writing a proper review because I was too damn slow to read this book, and it's not fair. But I will say: this may have all those cliches we gripe and moan about, but in a way that's just so much FUN. Sometimes it's nice to watch something not so gorram serious (I'm looking at you, DC!), and just go along for the ride.

The only problem? This book does NOT have an ending! We get a couple of answers...and then, BOOM, it's the end! Which means I absolutely HAVE to get my hands on book 2 one of these days and attempt to read this slightly faster than I read it this time around!

review 2015-08-25 23:44
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories - B.J. Novak

My book club chose BJ Novak’s book, “One More Thing”. I wasn’t able to attend the meeting where the books were chosen, but my guess is it was chosen because Novak was an actor in the American “The Office”, a pretty funny show (at least the episodes I’ve caught).

However…

review 2015-08-03 16:58
Not for the faint of heart
Michael Moorcock's Elric Vol. 2: Stormbringer - Julien Blondel

Bullet Review:

Sick. Twisted. Graphic. Violent. Bloody.

And way too short for the hard cover price.

I enjoyed this about as much as the first one. I wouldn't be opposed to continuing the series - the art is nice, and the story/characters are interesting enough. But I sure as hell won't be buying any of these - they are just too expensive and too short!