Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: dark-fiction
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-03-16 19:03
There's Someone Inside Your House by Stephanie Perkins
There's Someone Inside Your House - Stephanie Perkins,Bahni Turpin

This was a fun read until the killer was revealed with four hours left to go on the audio. This is way too early! Way, way too early. I was left highly disappointed with the dud of a reveal and disinterested in all the romance and minor bloodshed that followed because of it. But I’m kind of a jerk when it comes to these things and you may love it.

Someone is killing the talented high school kids in terribly gruesome ways but, no worries, most of the gore is left to the imagination. This is basically a 90’s teen slasher movie come to book life minus the scares and most of the grue. Who will be next? Why are they doing this? And, oh hell, who cares?! When will he give me a big sloppy kiss and bite his lip ring again?!

This is a romance set in a world where a serial killer just so happens to be murdering random people that have no impact on our main characters and zero emotional impact on the reader. The romance was well done and I liked the two teens together, they were interesting, imperfect kids, but I feel like too much went so very wrong with the “murdering” bits of the story. Also, many gut-wrenching opportunities were missed by keeping our main lovers too safe and that made reading it to the end a chore. I suppose I’m used to meaner stories that kick you in the gut. This one? I guess I’d recommend it as a good stepping stone for those who may want to meander over into the horror genre with their pinky toe and not get too scared or emotionally wrecked. I enjoy the wreckage and carnage and scares that a good horror story can deliver but none of those things were successful here. I’m bumping it up from a 2 ½ to a three only because there was one scene with a naked character that is still making me laugh when I think about it.

review 2018-03-16 17:26
BLANKY by Kealan Patrick Burke
Blanky - Kealan Patrick Burke

BLANKY is a powerful novella, full of grief, pain, and horrors previously unknown-those both real and imagined.

You can't let Kealan deceive you with that innocent looking cover. Any of you already familiar with his work wouldn't fall for that anyway. This is a tale that touches on everything it is to be human, both good and bad.

The time we spend with our families, even the irritating or angry times, are all something special. We may only want to focus on the fun, good memories, but that's not reality. BLANKY makes you think about, made ME think about- exactly what reality is.

With this story, be prepared to bring a piece of yourself and leave it upon the altar of Kealan Patrick Burke.

My highest recommendation. Period.

*I bought this novella with my hard earned money and reading it cost a small piece of my soul.*

review 2018-03-15 18:37
Afterage by Yvonne Navarro
Afterage - Yvonne Navarro

AFTERAGE was a whole lot of freaking fun!

The vampire apocalypse has already occurred and entire cities have been decimated. With isolated survivors cut off even from each other-how could a premise this good go wrong? The good news is, it didn't.

What I liked most was the...I guess I'll put it as...different levels of vampire. They have differing levels of energy and power. I won't even get into the Queen. (That's what I'm calling her.)

I also liked how the story of each survivor, (or surviving group), was introduced. I think it takes a special skill and confidence to jump into a story with a large cast and Yvonne Navarro did it deftly and with panache. I never felt that the story was lost or unwieldy. It all came together in a most satisfying way.

With a lot of strong female characters populating the landscape of vampire-ridden Chicago, how could I not enjoy this book? I especially liked Louise and her little dog, Beau, and of course, I had a fondness for Jo as well. (Though I could not help being reminded of Swan, a character in another GREAT post apocalyptic tale. Bonus points if you know what character and/or book I'm talking about.)

AFTERAGE was written in the 90's but it doesn't feel dated. I think that's because there's no electricity in this world, so phones and the internet would be out of the picture anyway. Even though decades have passed since this was written, the characters and themes involved are timeless. They still worked their way into my heart, and perhaps if you let them, they'll work their way into your heart as well.

Highly recommended!

You can get a copy here:  AFTERAGE

*I read this book because of THE HORROR SHOW WITH BRIAN KEENE podcast. (They're doing an online book group and this is the second book they're reading.) I probably wouldn't have made time to read it otherwise, so thanks to the HORROR SHOW crew for bringing it to my attention. *

review 2018-03-05 18:45
I'll Bring You the Birds From Out of the Sky by Brian Hodge
I'll Bring You the Birds from Out of the Sky - Brian Hodge

Brian Hodge is an outstanding writer and as such, how could I'LL BRING YOU THE BIRDS FROM OUT OF THE SKY be anything less than outstanding? In fact, if there was a word-I would rate this book higher than outstanding. How about exceptional? Yeah, let's go with EXCEPTIONAL.

In this novella length tale, we meet Mr. Timothy Randolph, an art dealer and curator of folk art. When Nona brings him a sample painting of her grandfather's, Timothy is intrigued and immediately sets off with her to see more of her grandpa's work. In the Appalachian mountains, they find a LOT more than they bargained for, and they will both be changed forever.

I didn't expect this tale to go where it did. Even in this short length of a story, Brian Hodge delivers the creeps on a magnificent scale. Not going to lie: I totally shuddered at the description of one character's

(spoiler show)

I even had to put the book down for a minute. Not for long though, because I had to see what happened next. (Even now, just thinking about it, I have goosebumps.)

That's it! That's all I'm going to say. If you've read Brian Hodge before, you already know what I'm talking about. If you haven't read Brian Hodge before, start here. At only $2.99 for the Kindle version, take a chance and you'll get to see what I'm talking about for yourself.

Simply, my HIGHEST recommendation!

*A HUGE thanks goes out to my friend Andi, who gifted me a beautiful signed copy which I'll treasure forever.*

review 2018-03-05 18:04
Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough
Behind Her Eyes - Sarah Pinborough,Bea Holland,Josie Dunn,Huw Parmenter,Anna Bentinck
If you want to read Behind Her Eyes I recommend you avoid reading the reviews. This is one of those books that can be easily ruined for you if someone gives too much away and several reviewers have already done so. I had one of the reveals ruined for me this way and I’m still pissed at myself for being nosy and checking out that review. I don’t know why people feel the need to do that without marking things as a spoiler because it’s not that hard!

There will be no spoilers here and I will be annoyingly vague as hell.

Trust me, it’s for your own good.

This story revolves around three people. Louise is a single mom struggling with insecurities since her ex announced he’s having a baby with his newest lover. She works as a secretary at a doctor’s office. One night she meets a charming man named David at a bar. They share a drunken kiss but Louise is scared off when she realizes he’s married. Who needs that mess, right? Well, what seems like the very next day, she arrives at work to discover David is the newest doctor in the practice and she is now his secretary. She is embarrassed and a little tingly. He is so very handsome, after all. Surely he wouldn’t want her anyway, she thinks, after seeing his perfect wife. Speaking of his wife, her name is Adele and one morning Louise accidentally bumps into her so hard, the fragile beauty falls to the ground. Adele is kind and friendly and in desperate need of a friend and Louise is drawn to her and enjoys her company. But Adele’s friendship comes with a condition. Louise must never tell David about their friendship.

Why you ask? Well I am not going to tell you. This is only the very beginning of one of the most messed up love triangles I’ve ever encountered. It is glorious and it must not be spoiled.

I’m going to warn you that these people are not very likable. They’re pretty horrible actually and I loved every minute of their two-timing, backstabbing, secretive, lying, selfish selves. They are all up to no good, almost all the time and it never got tiresome. I was riveted, fascinated and whatever other adjective you can think of that means this book was one I did not want to ever stop reading. That rarely happens and when it does I’m giving that book five stars.

This is not your typical “girl on all the books” thriller and for that I am very thankful. I like some of those books but the world has its fill of them right now. This one is different. You’ll either love it for that reason or despise it. I believe Pinborough was a horror writer for the majority of her writing career (yep, confirmed it as I have several Leisure titles in my tbr bins) and it works to her advantage in this book. She knows how to craft a creepy story that is deliciously evil and unflinchingly dark through and through. If you enjoy reading about devious, screwed up people I think you will enjoy this. Many hate it for its ending but for me that ending tied it all in perfectly.