logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: delacorte
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-01-06 18:55
The Maze Runner - James Dashner

This book started interesting me, of course, when the movie came out. I usually staunchly refuse to see any book-based movies before I read the book, but my parents broke me down when they marketed going to the movies as a “family event,” so I didn’t get to reading it beforehand, which meant it got pushed way down my to-read list. When the Pokemon Go challenge came up and had a hyped-up book category, I decided to finally get this off my to-read list and see how the book compared to its film version.

My first reaction is that it’s different in surprising ways. I won’t ruin it for people who have yet to read it, but the problem the way they solve the maze in the novel is a bit more complex and the ending is just the littlest bit different. The characters also had a bit of a different flavor to them, but I think that’s true for anything when your imagination is supplying interpretations rather than an actor. The one character whose introduction and personality is remarkably different is Teresa, which I thought pretty interesting. In the movie, she’s fierce to the point of being rabid when she’s introduced — in the movie, she’s calm and very rarely loses her temper. I’m not sure what this says about cinema portrayal of females or the people who adapted the book for the film, but it’s an interesting difference.

Regardless of the changes, I feel the same way about this book as I do about the movie: It’s fine. I don’t hate it, I don’t love it, and the plot is mostly interesting, though I hope future books provide a lot more growth and development from the characters. The way things were set up in this first book, it was mostly about discovering who they were themselves, so they remained mostly stagnant throughout. Without having read the sequels, it’s not something I can firmly recommend, but I am looking forward to reading the sequels — hopefully they deliver.

Source: www.purplereaders.com/?p=2280
review 2015-02-11 00:00
Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed? (Harlequin Intrigue, #979)
Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed? (Harlequin Intrigue, #979) - Shawna Delacorte I forgot that I have this.
review 2014-12-28 18:36
Stormbound with a Tycoon (Silhouette Desire, #1356) - Shawna Delacorte

I was looking for a quick read and hence my decision to read this title.. This title is different from what I have come to expect from the harlequin desire line. If you like your romance stories hot and steamy then this book is not for you. If on the other hand, you like sweet romance stories with light, love scenes where you have to use your imagination then you will love this book.

This story was told from the POV of the main characters. Some readers may find the switching between the two POVs distracting. I don’t mind it as it provided me with insight into their thoughts and emotions.

Stormbound with a Tycoon tells the story of Jessica McGuire and Dylan Russell. Jessica had a crush on Dylan since she was fifteen years old; however, to Dylan she was his best friend’s sister and nothing else. Fast forward sixteen years later, these two had moved on with their lives, but it did not turn out as was expected.

Jessica is a divorcee, who is determined to get her life back on track and prove that she does not need a man to define her. Dylan is an ace at making lucrative business deals; however, after a deal gone bad he began to question his judgement as a result he decided to re-evaluate his life. To do so he asked his best friend for the use of his cabin. Jessica, unaware of this arrangement decided to stay at the cabin to get some much needed rest. The two became stranded as a result of a storm and was forced to endure each other company throughout the duration of the storm.

There were a lot of internal battles of emotions in this title. Both characters had their inner demons to deal with and found it difficult to express their feelings. I thought Jessica was a bit judgemental when it came to Dylan. She is willing to think the worst of him. In spite of this she had difficulty fighting her attraction to him.

This is a story of love, self-discovery and acceptance. Overall, I found this to be an ok read.

review 2014-12-22 05:15
We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
We Were Liars - E. Lockhart

Publication: May 13th 2014 by Delacorte Press

Goodreads Summary

A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.

We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart.

Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.

Review

Rating: 2.8 out of 5 stars

It was okay-ish. I was just a bit disappointed because the book received too much hype and it just did not reach my expectation.

It was intriguing but very predictable.

I guessed the mystery even before I was halfway through the book.

I would not say it was an awful book because it is not. I get that many people liked this one.

I think that it is just not what I have been used to reading, something that did not interest me that much and the way I knew the conclusion even before the mystery began to unravel kind of what thwarted me.

Review also posted on my Goodreads account

review 2014-04-07 14:28
NICOLE'S REVIEW: Acid by Emma Pass
ACID - Emma Pass

I have been waiting for this book since forever and you guys cannot imagine my excitement when the local bookstores started stocking this bad boy. It involved a little squealing followed by shrieking and fist pumps everywhere because FINALLY.

So I have to admit, ACID isn't exactly what I expected. I mean it's a good book - fast paced, action-packed and reads like a movie. I had to shave off half a star because some things were just a little too far fetched and hard to believe.

ACID locked Jenna up in prison for the murder of her parents; a crime she struggles to remember. She's accepted her fate - endless days of prison duties and staying under the radar, away from groping hands and prying eyes, seeing as how she's the only girl in a prison full of convicts. But when a rebel group breaks her out, she's thrown for a loop and contending with things she doesn't really understand. Why her?

Jenna is strong character. She's a little brash and act-first-think-later but she's tough and she's got what it takes to survive out on the streets. Her life in prison ensured that she had an idea of how to take care of herself, how to fight and survive. Max, the poor boy she was unwittingly saddled with, is a good guy. He's different from other YA male love interests - he's more real, less domineering, he's not your knight in shining armor. He was more of the damsel in distress and it's refreshing to read books wherein the female heroine is actually more alpha than her intended.

Like any typical dystopia, ACID has all the elements - oppressed society, power-hungry government and just a little hint of rebellion. It still is by far better than all the other dystopian books I've read this year.

Looking for your next action-packed dystopia? Go no further. ACID is highly entertaining and reads like a movie with a little romance to boot. An added plus is that it seems to be a standalone despite the ending being a little open ended.

Source: thetwinsread.blogspot.com/2014/04/nicoles-review-acid-by-emma-pass.html