logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: depression-era
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-04-16 23:32
Heart-wrenching, raw, and incredibly honest portrait of self-harming and recovery in 'Girl In Pieces'; it was emotionally hard to read but this book is so VERY important
Girl in Pieces - Kathleen Glasgow

I'm going to dare to reveal a bit of myself in this review because it absolutely affected my reading.
I had the early reader’s copy for this brilliant book for a few years before I could bring myself to read all the way through it, and I even started it once and couldn’t continue, shelving it for at least a year or so before picking it up a second time. It was an intense and very difficult read for me because of the subject matter, and I got through it after reading Kathleen Glasgow’s excellent second book ‘How to Make Friends with The Dark’ which was almost as difficult for me to read, and equally amazing. Together, these two books encompass so much of my own experience it’s heartbreakingly uncanny, and I was lucky enough to even let Kathleen know this when I met her at her own book signing here in Seattle recently.

I’ve been that ‘girl in pieces’ like Charlie, like the many young women out there hiding their scars from others, under clothing or bandages, caused by cutting, burning, or whatever ‘needed’ to be done in that painful moment. It was a long and very hard journey for me to heal enough from depression, grief, anxiety, self-harming behavior, and PTSD, to where I felt I could cope with life again. The book is honest and gritty, and since Kathleen knows exactly what this all feels like, she understood what I meant when I said it took me a few years to get around to reading this; in the author’s note, she writes that it took her nine years to get this book onto paper. But she’s here. I’m here.
This book is actually about hope, and that’s honestly why I really want many many young women, girls, to read this.

When I read ‘Girl In Pieces’ my journey and all sorts of things came back to me, and yes, this is why the book was so hard to read; it brought up thoughts and feelings I hadn’t had for years. I know that’s what will make it hard for others to read too. The cover is a trigger warning or just a plain trigger itself; I don’t know that anyone seeing that will have any doubt as to what this book is about. While the subjects within are difficult to read about, those who understand them stand to benefit the most.
It takes a boatload of talent to tackle all kinds of really difficult issues: drug abuse, sexual abuse, abandonment, parental neglect, grief, suicide, self-harming (and foster kids in her next novel), but Glasgow does a lot in this one book. Some reviews point out that there’s 'too much' in this one book but that’s the point; self-harming is rooted in deep pain borne from many issues, it doesn’t happen out of a vacuum. Many of these issues collide and Glasgow writes about them from her depths of her soul, from her personal experience.

There are a number of different characters in the book (the deeply wounded Charlie, the toxic Riley, counselor Casper, Charlie’s mom, a number of different friends who play varied roles in Charlie’s life along the way), and they’re all memorable and painfully vivid, often uncomfortably so. And Charlie's awkwardness, fear, pain, and bravery can be felt on every page. It's hard and absolutely heart-wrenching to read but it's incredibly worth it.

I'll end this by saying that some readers won't 'get' this book at all, others desperately need to read it and will likely have a hard time with it. But this book will reach some people and it will resonate deeply with them. When a book can touch you deep down it can stay with you forever. But scars and memories stay with you forever too, no matter how far in the past, and this story is a reminder of that.
Thank you, Kathleen Glasgow, for writing this book. I wish I'd read this a long time ago, even if I'm not sure I would've been ready. But I'm glad it's out there in this big wide scary world.

Source: www.goodreads.com/book/show/29236380-girl-in-pieces
review 2019-03-25 05:37
The First Three Rules (My Brother's Keeper #1)
My Brother's Keeper (Book One): The First Three Rules - Adrienne Wilder

I had hopes for this one, since I loved In The Absence of Light, but this just did not deliver.

This was way too insta, and even included the dreaded "sex right after serious injury" trope that I hate so much. Which is a shame, because this had some promise at the beginning with Jon's depression and suicidal ideation, and with Ellis's struggles taking care of his older brother who has severe mental disability. But then it went downhill fast. Jon meets Rudy and Ellis, and as long as he's with them, his anxiety and PTSD don't bother him at all. Uh-huh. Sure. Then due to a series of unfortunate events, he all but moves in with Ellis and Rudy after knowing Ellis for all of two seconds. There was a lot of promise in the first few chapters, so it was a pity that it wasn’t lived up to. I kept reading hoping it would climb its way back up but it didn't.

And as for the paranormal aspects, I just didn't feel they were needed and that they actually cheapened the story. For instance,

the bully/bad guys' homophobia may or may not be influenced by some mysterious evil something or other lurking inside him. Because people can't be bigots and jerks on their own, dontcha know.

(spoiler show)

Granted, that could be because this is just starting to build up those elements and their functions will be more integral in the next two books. From the reviews I skimmed for the remainder of the series, that does indeed seem to be the case.

As for the editing, it's non-existent unfortunately. Compound words are often separated into two words. There are missing words and missing or incorrect punctuation use throughout, and words that should have been hyphenated often weren't, making some sentences hard to read. Plus, the timeline seemed to be inconsistent. For instance, some visitors come to Ellis's house, and the next day it's said that they came "the other day" indicating it was more than one day ago. It was hard to keep track of the passage of time, sometimes even within the same scene. And then halfway through the book, we're told it's 1991! Here I was thinking it's a contemporary.

I also had trouble buying how

a then 12-year old Ellis was able to live alone with his mentally-disabled 24-yr old brother with the mind of a 4-year old. Sure, Rudy was technically an adult, but how in the world could he be Ellis's legal guardian? Even if it was the 70s, I just can't see that happening, small town or not. How did Ellis get all the bills or Rudy's disability checks in his name? How did he cash those checks? How did he get control of the settlement account from their parents' deaths? How did he pay the bills? I know the sheriff and his wife (a teacher, no less) was helping them, but that just made it harder to swallow. Ms Wilder goes through a great deal of trouble trying to make this aspect of Ellis's and Rudy's background believable, but it just didn't work for me. Why not just make Ellis older? Make him 18, or even 16 or 17 so he'd be old enough to become an emancipated minor. It wouldn't have changed anything about the story at all. But I guess that wouldn’t have been tragic enough.

(spoiler show)

About the only bright spot in this was Rudy; he was a delightful character, though he would no doubt aggravate some readers. While I did like Jon and Ellis, I didn't feel the chemistry between them.

review 2019-03-02 19:53
7 & 7 - Anthology of Virtue and Vice
7&7 - Andrea Speed,Carole Cummings,J. Tullos Hennig,Amy Rae Durreson,John Inman,Pearl Love,Brandon Witt,Sean Michael,Fred J. Cook,Rick R. Reed

This anthology is by DSP Publications, so these stories aren't romance focused. As with most anthologies, this one is a mixed bag. Some were good, others were not, but I didn't find any of them to be great. Overall rating on this one is 2.5 stars, with one DNF.

* = New to me author

The Dark of the Sun by Amy Rae Durreson

3.5 stars

A priest in some remote village is mourning his dead husband when a group arrives wanting to hike up the mountain to see an eclipse from the temple. This conveyed a lot in a short amount of time. This is the second short story I've read by Durreson, the other being The Court of Lightning, which I also really liked. She seems to have a knack for short stories and uses every word and scene to its full effect. It is still a bit rushed at the ending though.

The Bank Job by Andrea Speed

3 stars

A super-villian is overly-impressed with himself and pays the price. Since this was short, he didn't have enough time to be overly-impressed with himself for it to start annoying me like this trait did in Speed's Infected series. There was some humor sprinkled in throughout, but I'm baffled why any super-villian would have that many minions on one job with him. Seems inefficient.

Plus, the gay couple felt tacked on and token-y, which left a bad taste in the mouth.

Prudence for Fools by Sean Michael*

1.5 stars

This was poorly executed. There's next to no world-building. If I hadn't glanced over the little blurb that precedes the story, I'd have had no idea what was going on at the start of it. There are a couple of brief descriptions on Brawn's people and Del's people, and that's about it. I guess "mountain folk" is supposed to be enough to cover everything else. Wu, the apprentice who brings little to the story, makes a comment upon meeting Brawn's people about "all the stories I heard were true" or something along those lines and being told they were. Great. And those stories are? How can you tell by just a single look and zero interaction? And for Del being such an old dude, he sounded more like a petulant teenager while griping about his lot in life.

There were good bones here, and in the hands of the right author this could've been a great story, which just makes it that much more tragic that was so mundane and slapped together.

The Gate by J.S. Cook*

1 star

Speaking of slapped together, was this edited at all? I thought this was a contemporary at the start. But then they mentioned war preparations, and then Hitler. Okay, so it's WWII. Oh, and then we're in Newfoundland. Okay then, sure, why not. Except...

Look, I don't know how buildings are designed in Newfoundland, or what their waste management system is like there, now or in the 1940s. But here in my neck of the US of A, generally, restaurants have doors at the rear or near the kitchen that go pretty much directly to the trash bin, which WM picks up on a scheduled basis. But for some reason Jack's cafe doesn't do that, so when his neighbor next door puts up an iron gate that cuts off access to the alley, it causes this big huge deal with the trash and I had trouble picturing what the issue was. Why are his trash bins so poorly located to cause this dilemma? Could the trash even be picked up with that gate there?

Then there's the cast-iron gate - during WWII, when iron and steel were in pretty high demand to build ships and planes and such for the war effort. Since there's mention of gas restrictions, I assume there must also be similar restrictions on iron. So where did this gate come from? Then Jack says he's going to go to the city about the gate - but apparently never does. Wouldn't Jack need a permit to put up something like that that cuts off access to common-use throughways?

Maybe it's his mafia contacts cutting through the red tape for him, who knows.

(spoiler show)

Then there's the thankfully brief sex scene, which starts in the cafe after hours but suddenly there's bedsheets? Huh? Where did the sheets come from? They were just sitting at the table in the cafe literally two sentences ago. Don't even get me started on the ending. I know these aren't romance, so I don't expect these stories to fall in with the expectations of that genre, but they still need to make sense. That came out of nowhere and felt more like the author just didn't know how to end the story.

This story was one big logic fail.

Heirs to Grace and Infinity by Carole Cummings*

3 stars

The basic premise of this one is that magic is real, but can be controlled/suppressed by implants and is outlawed, and the Bureau is out to get all magical people. A bunch of people don't like that, including our good guy/magical protag. Think X-Men but with magic instead of super powers. This felt like being plopped into the middle of a story. Literally. The two chapters provided felt like middle chapters to a longer book. Yet despite that, and the use of third person/present tense which always feels awkward, it was an interesting read and did a fairly decent job in world-building.

The Rendering by John Inman

DNF

I swore I would never again read another book by John Inman after The Boys on the Mountain, and four paragraphs into this short story I was reminded why. It was repetitive, not to mention borderline offensive (um, sorry, but car seat belts stretch, a lot), and then I started getting flashbacks to that other story and I couldn't continue. Maybe it's a good story, but I'm not inclined to find out.

Beyond the Temperance Effect by Serena Yates*

2 stars

This is an interesting set up to what could be a much longer story. A group of humans set out for a new star system (not solar system; only our star system is called a solar system because our star is called Sol) to find a new world to inhabit. Humans of the future have found ways to control their emotions, making war and violence obsolete (I think?) but as they near their new home world, people start getting all aggressive again. We find out why, and the story just ends there. It's a little non-sensical, but that's probably because it's too short to really do much world-building.

Covetous by Pearl Love*

0 stars

What the fiddlesticks was this? So this dude is jealous of pretty much everyone around him for every reason under the sun. I couldn't stand him and started skimming pretty quickly. The blurb got me wondering if he was going to pay for his jealous ways by becoming vampire kibble, especially after he meets some insanely gorgeous guy and his three twinks at a bar - modern day Dracula, right? Alas, no. In order to save everyone else the boredom and ridiculousness of this very short story:

he goes home with the devil and his three twinks, and literally gets pounded to death and taken to hell for permanent torture. The end. Oh, and there's something with his eyeballs and mouth being sown shut. I don't do eye horror, guys! NOPE!

(spoiler show)

So that was stupid. Glad I skimmed most of it. Probably should have just skipped it entirely. Where's my brain bleach?!

Hope by Rick R. Reed*

3 stars

I thought this was going to be more paranormal than it ended up, given it starts with a haunting, but it's not like that at all. Other than the ghost, this is a normal everyday contemporary about a guy whose mom dies and he moves back to his childhood home to figure out his life after he gets some yet more bad news. He meets the hunky next door neighbor and flirtation happens.

However, this takes place in the last 90s, and after living a life of drugs and unsafe sex, the bad news he gets is that he has HIV. The cocktail that they use now was still in the early days here, so Tom isn't aware of this option when he burns all his bridges and decides to make the least of what's left of his life. He's seen multiple friends succumb to HIV/AIDS and now he'll be another statistic.

I liked that this gave us Tom's despair and hopelessness and didn't do what so many M/M romance writers do and miraculously give their characters an all-clear when those characters haven't been taking care of themselves and having unsafe sex. It's a catch-22. Most readers I know, including myself, feel that AIDS and gay men are just too closely connected to be anything other than cliche if seen too often in books, but it is still a reality for a lot of people. So what do you do? I guess you can give the formerly-irresponsible character an understanding and hunky next-door neighbor who is willing to take precautions and see where the relationship goes. And an overly-concerned ghost.

(spoiler show)

This was a strange mix of elements, but somehow ended up being a decent story, especially compared to others in this anthology.

Train to Sevmash by Jamie Fessenden*

2.5 stars

Set during the cold war, a US spy goes into Russia for a mission that requires him to kill some Soviet for some reason. The details are sketchy at best, but there's eventually enough to piece together what he was supposed to be doing. But of course, his target is absolutely gorgeous and kind and has a really nice smile. What's a spy to do? I liked the characters, but since the details of the mission aren't really explicit, I can't say if I'm upset by the ending or not.

The spy was supposed to kill a Russian who works on a submarine that is targeting US ships, so that the spy can steal the Russian's identity and get on the sub to do something or other. That part isn't clear at all. The spy of course can't go through with it because he falls for the Russian in the course of a night. So lots of unprofessional professional going on here.

(spoiler show)

There are also random Russian words thrown in that I guess we're supposed to figure out the meaning of given context, and some I could, others I couldn't but that didn't hamper the story much.

Red Light Special by Rhys Ford

3 stars

This was a lot more cohesive than the short story Dim Sum Asylum from the Charmed and Dangerous anthology, which was a slapdash mess of a "story," but this still has a lot of similar elements, namely fae/elves and sex statues. What is it with this author and sex statues? Or fae, for that matter? If that's your jam, you'll love this. I mostly liked Seymour, and there was just enough snark that I was able to enjoy the story despite itself. Still, I'm glad I've never bothered with any of Ford's longer stories. I get the impression they'd be a chore for me to get through.

Traitor by Clare London

3.5 stars

A former MI-5 operative gets called in to question a member of a radical neo-Nazi terrorist cell - who is not only a former MI-5 operative himself and also the other dude's former lover. This could have been really angsty and overly dramatic, but London's deft writing prevents it from going there. It was a bit on the predictable side, but considering I've come to expect so little of this anthology, it was nice to find a well-written piece that flowed and had a beginning, middle, and end.

Couches of Fabric and Snow by Brandon Witt

3 stars

The theme for this story was sloth, but I thought the MC was clearly suffering from untreated depression that's worsened when he goes on a school trip with his class and runs across his ex. <spoiler>They have a confrontation, he spies on his ex having sex with one of the trainers, then goes out in the woods to fall asleep in the middle of a blizzard. The story ends there, but it's pretty clearly implicated that he's going to die there.</spoiler> I felt a little uncomfortable that his depression was at times being treated as a personality defect, but it was plain that the MC was pretty darn lazy even before the breakup with his ex; the depression just made all of that worse. Kind of bummer of a story to end an anthology on, but it wasn't the last one I read.

Horseboy by J Tullos Hennig

3.5 stars

This comes between "Hope" and "Train to Sevmash," but I saved it for last hoping to end the anthology on a high note. I love Hennig's series, The Wode, which is a fantasy retelling of the Robin Hood legend. This story could easily be fit into that universe, since there's a Templar Knight, unnamed, and Sabiq, the titular horseboy. They both have secrets to keep and though they're on opposite sides of the Crusades conflict, they form a sort of truce after Sabiq saves the Templar's life. This felt like an intro to a longer story, one that I very much hope the author might write someday.

review 2019-02-03 23:27
The Color Thief - Andrew Fusek Peters

This is a lovely story that was introduced to me by a school counselor in a classroom that I observed. This book illustrates depression through the eye of a child. It is about a father that is battling depression and it sucks the color out of his child's world. As the father gets help, color returns and their world seems brighter. My favorite part of this book is how it illustrates that depression affects the whole family, not just the individual. I think that this book would be great to show children who experience depression in their family.

Lexile: NP

Reading Level: Pre K- 3rd grade

review 2019-02-03 23:04
The Princess and the Fog: A Story for Children with Depression - Lloyd Jones

This is a lovely story that was introduced to me by a school counselor in a classroom that I observed. It is about a princess that has a nasty fog around her. With the help of her persistent friend, she is able to open up about the fog and how it affects her. I particularly like this book because of how well it illustrates symptoms of depression and the treatments that help control the fog. I also like how the fog doesn't go away in the story, just as depression doesn't go away in the real world. The princess does however have tools to help whenever the fog comes back, such as potions (medication), and her friends and family to talk to.

Lexile: AD510