logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: deweys-24-hour
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-07-28 04:26
Dewey's Deliverer
Deliverer - C.J. Cherryh

If you stick with the Foreigner series by CJ Cherryh for more than a few pages, you know that numbers are very, very important to the Atevi.  And they have a strong preference for odd numbers, so tonight I can declare that I have finished the fortunate 9th book, the end of the 3rd trilogy in the saga of Bren Cameron.

Finishing my current book seemed like fortunate way to celebrate Dewey's Readathon!

I've also finished another chapter in The Inner Life of Cats: The Science and Secrets of Our Mysterious Feline Companions - Thomas McNamee  (the one about the feral cats of Rome).

In addition to mine - I've seen Readathon Posts by:

Book Stripping Blog

Debbie's Spurts

Bookish Blerd

Booklikes addresses are also listed in the participant database

Hol

Tea, Rain, Book

Kat's Books

Though they are so far either hiding in their books, or participating via another social media outlet.

Well it's been a long, long week and tomorrow is a dizzy bay, so after cheering on the other Readathon participants, I'm heading off to bed.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-11-07 03:25
Review: It
It: A Novel - Stephen King

So it only took me forever, but not because the book was bad (obviously).  I'm just a slacker.

I don't know what to say about it other than it is another gem from the master, Stephen King.  It was well written and had the right amount of creepiness, horror and humor.

There are some triggering scenes with animal abuse that were discomforting to me.

And am I the only one who felt bad for It in the end?  I think it was the mom in me feeling a little softhearted as It begged for it's life and for the life of it's progeny.  But, of course, I know It couldn't be left to survive, nor could it's young.  But for a brief moment, I felt It's pain; the need to save itself and it's children.

All in all, it was quite the roller-coaster ride.

review 2017-10-22 02:37
The Girl With All the Gifts
The Girl with All the Gifts - M.R. Carey

WOA!  WOW!

What a great book to read in one sitting.

review 2017-04-30 02:29
Parnassus on Wheels - Christopher Morley

I don't even know what to day about this. It was fantastic. It seems I say that about a lot of my reads, but I guess I just have good taste!

Helen, the protagonist is sick of her brother the Andrew. He's living the life of a farmer when suddenly he gets it into his head to write a book, which of course got published. This lead to publishes beating down the door, and Andrew going off for weeks and months at a time leaving Helen to handle things on the farm.

Needless to say she tires of it quickly, so when Mr. Roger Mifflin arrives at the farm with his bookstore on wheels, proposing to sell it to Andrew, Helen buys it instead. She'll be damned if Andrew goes off on another months long adventure and stick her with all the farm work. This is the beginning of a ridiculous, fabulous adventure for the forty-year-old woman who hadn't had so much as a vacation in fifteen years.

Andrew's in a right state when he finds out about it and ends up chasing down Helen and Mifflin, who was staying on only long enough to show her the ropes of Parnassus, the rolling bookstore. There are fights, robberies, deception, visits with book enthusiasts, actual book sales, and all along it turns out to be a love story.

It was really quite beautiful and a must read for all bookish people. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of the sequel, The Haunted Bookshop!

review 2016-10-22 23:50
Review of "Witchstruck" (Tudor Witch Trilogy, #1) by Victoria Lamb.
Witchstruck - Victoria Lamb

This should have worked for me.  Paranormal set in Tudor times during Elizabeth I's banishment to Woodville.

Ugh.  Such petty, mean-spirited entitled characters.

Cannot believe was published in U.K. first as a Random House Children's book (in U.S. by Harlequin).  It's pretty dark with the type of witchcraft that uses bloody entrails and suspected witches are tortured and put to death in probably more detail than should be in a children's book.

Cruel magicks deemed "harmless" ... nope.  I realize M.C. was a girl in a misogynistic world, servant class, etc.  But still often petty and unthinkingly self-involved; an unlikable and often hypocritical bunch of unsympathetic characters.

The time period is an interesting one, as are some of the rare glimpses of Elizabeth (who here condones and even participates in witchcraft).  But that's more because I find that setting interesting than because this book made it interesting.

I should have DNF'ed.  What kept me going:  a quick enough read, reading during Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon, a library borrow meaning I read first, with unbelievably high reviews and recommendations from friends.  Seriously, what were they thinking to praise this?

ETA:  I should add that M.C. also keeps the (pretty much do everything for her even if against own beliefs and best interests) love interest dangling.