logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: diversity
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-02-17 04:13
Helen Keller
Young Helen Keller: Woman of Courage (First-Start Biographies) - Benjamin

AR: 3.1

Grade Level: K-2

Summary: This book describes the life of Helen Keller, in a friendly way. This book is great for younger students who may not understand the concept of one being blind or deaf.

Idea: I would use this book in my classroom to teach students more about diversity. I would make sure they learn that not everybody is made the same. An activity that I probably will allow my students to take part all school year is sign language. I feel like sign language is a very useful tool. You never know when you may encounter someone who cannot speak with their mouth. I want to make sure that all of my students get a taste of as much diversity as possible.

review 2018-02-09 22:07
Lets Talk About Diversity!
Heather Has Two Mommies - Leslea Newman,Laura Cornell

Guided Reading Level: L

Grade Level: 2-3

Summary: What kind of a family are you apart of? We all are different and come from different families, even Heather! This book is about a little girl named Heather whose favorite number is two. She has two arms, two legs, two pets, and two mommies!

Idea: With this book, I would be using it for a lesson on diversity. No matter where the child is from, and no matter what kind of family the child has, the teacher and students should be accepting towards that. It's all about diversity and open-mindedness!

review 2018-01-27 20:50
Same Difference
Same Difference - Derek Kirk Kim

I think I read this book at the right time. I was in the right mood and the right frame of mind. At another time I might have related too much or too little, and the story would have annoyed me. Gives me Lost at Sea vibes (but more normal).

review 2018-01-26 01:25
Saga, Vol 8
Saga Volume 8 - Brian K. Vaughan,Fiona Staples

OK, I love this series, but it is so hard to only get one volume a year. Seriously.

Also, I feel like the story has stalled a little bit. This volume was good, but where is it taking me? I love the characters, but it feels like they've been wandering in space for a while now without much purpose. Let's get this story going.

review 2018-01-02 04:20
Esperanza Rising
Esperanza Rising - Pam Muñoz Ryan

I wish this book were longer. I wish we got to see more of Esperanza's life. I wish the plot about the strikers hadn't been dropped so quickly.

Overall, a good read. This was the pick for this month's book club (which I will be missing because of a basketball game... oops). Historical fiction that is still very relevant today.

I will say though that I wasn't a huge fan of the comparison of Mexican Repatriation to Japanese Internment and the Indian Removal Act (I assume that's what Ryan means by "Native American removals of the nineteenth century"). The comparison felt a little like Oppression Olympics. Which is weird because the book did a good job of navigating race (and class).

There has to be a better way to mention that the US is fond of treating its non-white citizens terribly. One that doesn't make it feel like the different groups are being pitted against each other. The note works without the comparison; the numbers stand for themselves (historians estimate 450,000 to one million Mexicans and Mexican Americans were sent back to Mexico between 1929 and 1935).