logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: dnf-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-11-21 23:46
Book Review: Silk by K.C. Wells
Silk (A Material World Book 3) - K.C. Wells,Meredith Russell,Michael Craft

This book was gifted to me by the author in hopes I'd leave a favorable review.

Hells, yeah!!

First off, I love this series, each one focusing on a specific material. We had Lace and Satin, and now I've devoured Silk.

Here, we have Lucas, early 40s, a self-made millionaire, whose stoic and rigid upbringing has left him with a mild case of social anxiety and an unwillingness to form romantic attachments. Or any kind of attachments with other people, really. When he needs sex, he calls upon an escort, never inviting the same man more than twice, at the very most. Usually, the escorts get only one dance upon his silk sheets - the rare man may be hired twice.

It was clear early on that Lucas was lonely and unhappy, but didn't realize it. He thought his life was normal. Cuddles, embraces? Who needs them.

Then Lucas, intrigued by images online, hires Matt, 27, an escort/underwear model/server at his parents' restaurant, which he'll take over at some point. When he's ready. Modeling underwear is for fun, as is escorting - and Matt likes sex. The money is nice, but Matt knows that this isn't something he'll do long-term. Besides, his parents would be mortified and disappointed if they knew about his side jobs. He has a few regulars, but is also perfectly happy to accept new clients.

So Matt breezes into Lucas' life/condo and their first night is super hot. Holy moly, do they burn up those silky sheets. A couple of weeks later, still thinking about Matt, Lucas hires him again. And then again. And then... well, you read this for yourself.

I really liked how the author drew her characters here, giving them a full backstory that made them who they are, but also gave them room to grow and expand their world views. As Lucas and Matt go from client/escort to more, spending time outside of Lucas' condo, they both realize that they could be much more than casual sex. Matt's rule of never falling for a client crumbles. He still has other clients, but there is thankfully no sex with others once he starts hanging out with Lucas outside of the bedroom.

Lucas, though being the older man, doesn't have a whole lot of experience with romantic relationships and it shows. And Matt, as mature as he is, crumbles under the perceived expectations of not only Lucas, but also his parents, and he definitely has some growing up to do. He's stubborn and somewhat unreasonable, but so is Lucas to some degree. They both need to learn the fine art of compromise which is so important in any relationship, and they both need to learn to communicate honestly and openly, which translates to telling each other what's bothering them. What they want. What they need. And what they expect.

Matt's sister Angela, as well as his parents, were also well done, and I absolutely adored Lucas' grandmother Diane. The scenes set at her house were often hilarious, but Grandma Diane also has a huge hand in sorting these two knuckleheads out when they can't seem to do that on their own.

The somewhat large age difference really didn't matter here - they were well-matched from a maturity perspective, and Lucas had no issue keeping up with Matt's libido either. *fans self*

That epilogue - perfection. I loved, loved, loved it.

This was an excellent read, and I enjoyed myself immensely while reading. I might have taken a cold shower after, but this is not unusual for a KC Wells book.

Recommended!!

I also need the next book, Denim, like, RTFN! The short teaser at the end of this book has me salivating already.

** I received a free copy of this book from its author. A review was not promised in return. **

review 2017-11-21 14:43
Review: By the Book by Julia Sonneborn
By the Book - Julia Sonneborn

An English professor struggling for tenure discovers that her ex-fiancé has just become the president of her college—and her new boss—in this whip-smart modern retelling of Jane Austen’s classic Persuasion.

Anne Corey is about to get schooled.

An English professor in California, she’s determined to score a position on the coveted tenure track at her college. All she’s got to do is get a book deal, snag a promotion, and boom! She’s in. But then Adam Martinez—her first love and ex-fiancé—shows up as the college’s new president.

Anne should be able to keep herself distracted. After all, she’s got a book to write, an aging father to take care of, and a new romance developing with the college’s insanely hot writer-in-residence. But no matter where she turns, there’s Adam, as smart and sexy as ever. As the school year advances and her long-buried feelings begin to resurface, Anne begins to wonder whether she just might get a second chance at love.

Funny, smart, and full of heart, this modern ode to Jane Austen’s classic explores what happens when we run into the demons of our past...and when they turn out not to be so bad, after all.

I’m always up for a second chance romance, but unfortunately this book was not for me. From the plot line to the characters were things I disliked. For one we had way to many clichés in this. Both character and story wise.  Also it was way to predictable for me, while we get a little of that in a lot of books, this was just too much along with the clichés.

The main characters who us a English Professor is also a bit of a  literary snob, so is also her co-worker who also happens to be her best friend. He wont read anything published after 1920 which would be fine if it didn’t come  over so snotty. Speaking of the best friend who also happens to be gay, he could have not been more of a stereotype, the way her dressed or talked or behaved. I think that could have been much better and less cliché and it would have been more enjoyable. We have come so far when it comes to LGBTQs so there is no reason to throw out all these cliches.

I also was not a big fan of the Anne, who also was been way to overplayed . She lived to much in the what has been and not in the what is happening now. She seemed to play with people because she only thought f herself at times.

Overall, I was not a fan but I’m sure there will be plenty of people who will overlook all the clichés like the book much better.

I rate it 2 ★

*I received a free copy from the publisher and chose to leave a voluntary review. Thank you!*

Will be available Feb 6th 2018

JULIA SONNEBORN IS AN ENGLISH PROFESSOR AND A LOS ANGELS NATIVE. AFTER HEADING EAST FOR COLLEGE AND GRADUATE SCHOOL, SHE HIGHTAILED IT BACK TO CALIFORNIA,WHERE SHE NOW LIVES WITH HER HUSBAND, TWO KIDS, TWO CATS AND A DOG.

LINK

GOODREADS

Snoopydoo sigi

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/review-book-julia-sonneborn
review 2017-11-21 10:00
Release Day Review! Lure of Oblivion (The Mercury Pack #3) by Suzanne Wright
Lure of Oblivion (Mercury Pack) - Suzanne Wright

Gwen Miller may be a human, but she has no problem taking a stand against her own kind. She’s going to testify against the teenage boy she saw viciously assault a lone shifter female—and no amount of pressure from the boy’s wealthy family will make her back down. But when the harassment turns violent, help comes in the form of a lean, toned wolf with winter-gray eyes.

As a guest at Gwen’s inn, shifter enforcer Zander Devlin can’t help but notice that the fierce and leggy brunette is in serious trouble. Since she’s putting herself at risk for one of his kind, keeping her safe is the least he can do. That’s not the only reason Zander wants her close. He desires her, even as the wolf inside him backs away from her. But his feral instincts are hard to keep down, and as they take shape, they’re harder for Gwen to resist. Then again, embracing them could be the only thing that could save her life.

The Mercury Pack is back in a fast paced thrilling romance that kept me enthralled from beginning to end. Gwen and Zander are two wonderful characters that reached out and stole my heart with their vulnerable but fierce personalities. They both had tough exteriors that hid their tormented past and readers can certainly understand their views on life and empathize with the way they protected themselves. Gwen may be a human heroine but she has a loyal strong heart and attitude and she fits right in with both the Mercury Pack and the Phoenix Pack.

These characters easily captivate readers and ensure that they have to know the whole story, while the suspense builds throughout the story with lots of thrilling action and danger. The bad guys may be a bit typical with their hatred of anything or anyone different but they grab reader’s attention and hold tight because the reader wants to know what they will do next.

I look forward to each and every visit to either the Mercury or Phoenix Packs, because Suzanne Wright brings the characters and the world to brilliant life with well written words that ensure I get caught up in what’s happening and fall in love with the characters and my visit to packs was just as exciting this time as ever and I can’t wait to visit them again unfortunately it looks like I will be waiting impatiently until summer 2018 for my next visit, but I am sure I will quite satisfied with that visit as well.

Lure of Oblivion is the 3rd book in The Mercury Pack series which is interconnected to The Phoenix Pack series.

Lure of Oblivion is available in print or ebook at:

Amazon   B&N

Suzanne Wright can be found at:

Website   Facebook   Twitter   Goodreads    BookBub

review 2017-11-21 08:00
Tomorrow, When The War Began
Tomorrow, When the War Began - John Marsden

There is an edition which includes the first four books of the Tomorrow Series. I first saw the book in 2006 and after that I've been willing to read the book. Unfortunately, I never bought the book, because I thought it was a bit too expensive for a series I completely didn't know yet.

A few weeks ago I went to my library and there it was (I had never seen it there before). Needless to say, I took it home and read it (during my final exams, which was not the best idea I ever had).

The story is about a bunch of teenagers, who happen to be camping while a war breaks out in Australia. Therefore they aren't put together in some sort of camp, but are still free. They become guerrillas in order to free their country...

I read it and I loved it. I liked the way it was written, liked the story. I couldn't put the book aside. For me, it is a 5 star rating, and I immediately started to read the second book of this series.