logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: dracula
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-06-18 22:01
#2 in Otherworld Re-read
Stolen - Kelley Armstrong

I'm re-reading this series this summer. This second volume is a good installment, especially with woman who do things as opposed to wait for things to be done. I forgot how young Savannah was when she first appeared. The realization of how age makes me dislike the

Adam and Savannah pairing. Still, that's my personal dislike. I enjoyed the introduction of Paige and of the women working together. Quite fun.

Old ReviewElena, to me at least, is the most engaging of Armstrong's characters. She is nicely flawed, not annoying, and has a sense of humor. While there are flaws in the book (Armstrong's writing here isn't as polished as it is in the later books), Stolen is a fun read. I enjoy the fact that Elena is NOT a classic beauty and really loved her comments about bust and waist size. Also enjoyable is the fact that Elena is not strictly rescued

review 2018-06-08 17:49
Review: Hunting Prince Dracula (Stalking Jack the Ripper #2) by Kerri Maniscalco
Hunting Prince Dracula - Kerri Maniscalco

Following the grief and horror of her discovery of Jack the Ripper's true identity, Audrey Rose Wadsworth has no choice but to flee London and its memories. Together with the arrogant yet charming Thomas Cresswell, she journeys to the dark heart of Romania, home to one of Europe's best schools of forensic medicine...and to another notorious killer, Vlad the Impaler, whose thirst for blood became legend.

But her life's dream is soon tainted by blood-soaked discoveries in the halls of the school's forbidding castle, and Audrey Rose is compelled to investigate the strangely familiar murders. What she finds brings all her terrifying fears to life once again.

First off , I think this book would make a great TV show and I for sure would watch it :D

I started this book knowing it was book two but didn’t think they are connected . For some reason I thought they are following different people and since I didn’t read book one….. yet I started it. I learned pretty early on that I was wrong but I really didn’t care at that point because I just liked it way to much. Plus If didn’t really spoil that much and I really didn’t think the Jack the Ripper book would have a HEA

I usually not a big fan of historical fiction but this one sounded interesting and it was. It was well written, it was fun and kept you guessing. The setting while was great, and I really enjoyed it.

I also loved Audrey, she was a powerhouse for her time, she didn’t let the men put her down no matter what they said or how they treated her.  She was a real trailblazer for the tiimepwriod and that was another thing I enjoyed.  She was also very funny and had many laugh out loud moments on top her sassiness.

I also enjoyed Thomas very much and it seems like her always found trouble somewhere. I LOVED them together, it was funny, sweet , sassy  and of course romantic and  bit scandals for the time period.  It also was spooky and sometimes gross, not overly so that people with weak stomachs couldn’t handle it.  Overall it was soo much fun and I cant wait to actually read the first book lol.

Also after the ending I look very much forward to book three in the series. Over all I read the book 5★ , I listen to the Audio which was fantastic.

Buy Links

Amazon *** B&N *** Kobo

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/index.php/2018/06/08/review-hunting-prince-dracula-stalking-jack-the-ripper-2-by-kerri-maniscalco
review 2018-05-04 04:15
Wonderful

Audiobook -
Narration 5 stars
Another fun adventure with the young sleuths as they travel to the land of Dracula. The ending was fantastic, I cheered ! I can't wait to read their next adventure in America

review 2018-03-17 22:17
Hunting Prince Dracula...
Hunting Prince Dracula - Kerri Maniscalco

I liked this second book even better then the first! Right from the start, in the train ride through the Romanian countryside, the author did a fantastic job of evoking an eerie atmosphere and sense of foreboding. This continues throughout the book, as  Audrey Rose and Thomas Creswell are residing in Bran Castle which is full of tunnels, traps, a creepy staff and someone determined to make sure everyone believes Prince Dracula is alive and hunting for his next victims. If you're a fan of this series then this book is a must read!

I do have one complaint though about the audio recording.  I listened to the audio version of both the first and second book and I had a very hard time hearing the narrator in the first book. I thought maybe it was just a fluke thing with my download but I had the same exact problem with this second book. I have to turn the volume all the way up on my phone and car to be able to hear it then it sounds sort of diluted like you're in a tunnel. I don't think the narrator is speaking loud enough or directly into the microphone. I hope they fix that in the next book. Anyone else have that problem?

review 2018-03-05 00:07
Victorian girl competes to get into forensic pathology academy in Dracula's castle. What could go wrong?
Hunting Prince Dracula - Kerri Maniscalco

This was an engaging historical romance read with mystery/thriller/horror elements depending on how jumpy you are when it comes to murder, vampire bats & huge spiders. (Man, that one scene took it to 110% horror mode for me!!)

It's not the book's fault, but I was super sad it didn't go into training montage/Harry Potter mode and double down on the competition to get into the bizarro forensic pathologist teens training academy in Dracula's creepy castle. Especially with the super-feminist Victorian girl trying to play on the same field as the boys, I wanted more of her competing for equal footing and to be recognized. Instead, the murder mystery element stepped up into centrefield. Which, it was cool the way they went in a different direction with the ending, I guess, and there were some truly unexpected twists, so props for that.

I think I prefer a little closer adherence to period-accurate perspectives in my historical fiction, to be honest. This leans more into an exciting, acceptable-to-2018-standards adventure territory. And the author had notes at the end pointing out which elements were research-based, and which were liberties taken for story purposes. But the feminist MC, although feminism did exist at the time, felt like she took things too far and in an inauthentic direction. To me, it felt preachy and performative, like if it were a film, she'd turn to the camera and make her argument, and then go back to playing her part. (Laurie R. King & Cat Winters do a spectacular job of integrating thoughtful feminist narratives in a period-specific narrative, if you want to read that btw.) But then again, it's not rare for teens to lack subtlety . . .

So in summary, so far this series isn't a personal favourite, but it is perfectly well done YA historical romance and makes for an entertaining read. Love the girl-forensic-pathologist angle, it's fun how historical characters who've become nearly fictional get woven in, and there's some very clever plotting going on. Props for accurate historical details and research at many points too. The love interest has an interestingly Holmesian character, and supporting cast are well defined and distinctive. 3.5 stars for a generally good read.