logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: dracula
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-09-22 18:20
Count Dracula
Dracula - Bram Stoker

So there's a reason why Dracula is a classic horror story. Stoker created the vampire that is still a thing in 2018. Why do writers come back again and again to the tale of a creature that was all about murder and mayhem?I tend to love Stoker's look at Dracula and vampires the most. I always side eyed writers that made vampires poor tortured and sad and alone. Stoker's first look at Count Dracula shows us a cunning character who is focused on wrecking Johnathan Harker's life and those connected to him.

"Dracula" focuses on Count Dracula who travels from Transylvania to England (London specifically) in order to spread more vampires. Fighting against him is Johnathan Harker, his new wife, Mina along with friends of the couple (Doctor John Seward, Quincey Morris, and Arthur Holmwood). The latter group also comes across a vampire slayer (whatever, that is what I am calling him) Abraham Van Helsing.

I think the saddest character in this is Lucy. She's best friends with Mina and has attracted many marriage proposals. When she finally agrees to marry Arthur, it would be seem that her life is perfect. However, she seems to be growing weaker and weaker and is sleepwalking. John calls in Van Helsing who suspects what is going on, but doesn't inform all parties. The end of Lucy always made me feel bad.

We also have the character of Renfield who is creepy as all get out. Reading about him collecting bugs, spiders, sparrows, and wanting a kitten or cat and finding out what he was eating and feeding to other animals was a bit much for me.

The book cuts things up by showing us the journal or diary entries from many of the characters. I can't really argue against this style of story-telling. It allows us into the characters heads. I do wish at times that we could have gotten more dialogue between characters though. Sometimes it just reads as flat sometimes. The flow was up and down. I think switching between characters/entries takes you out of the story at times.

I do wish that more movies/tv shows had been more faithful with the original work since you do get a sense of the camaraderie that has developed by all parties in order to stop Dracula especially when he ends up cursing Mina with vampirism.

The ending shows what happens after they all confronted Dracula which I liked.

review 2018-07-17 14:00
Hunting Prince Dracula
Hunting Prince Dracula - Kerri Maniscalco

“Bone white, blood red. Along this path you'll soon be dead.”

I really enjoyed the setting of this book and the creepy old Romanian Bran Castle, with its hidden rooms and secret passageways, dark spider filled corridors leading to hidden rooms and bloodless corpses. Audrey Rose and Thomas Cresswell are now attending the academy of forensic medicine, which takes place in Bran Castle. Just as they arrive a series of murders happen, all pointing to the old legends leading people to fear Vlad the Impaler has risen from the dead.

After the events of Stalking Jack the Ripper, Audrey Rose is still attempting to come to terms with everything they endured. I was a fan of the first book, but I believe I liked this one even more. Despite her anxieties and fears Audrey becomes a stronger character. She pushes past her insecurities and tries her hardest to focus, to solve the mystery and move on with her life. She is the only female student in the academy and has to work twice as hard to prove that she is worthy of being there.

Cresswell remains as charming and flirtatious as ever. His humor is ever present, breaking the tension even in the most suspenseful of scenes. There is a slew of new characters, including fellow students, odd and intimidating professors, we even meet Cresswell's sister.

This time around I did not figure out who the killer was as I did with Stalking Jack the Ripper. Maniscalco kept me guessing and I loved it! Her writing seems to get better and better. The next book in the series is called Escaping from Houdini and the cover art is beautiful. I can't wait to add it to its predecessors currently decorating my bookshelf!

-Shey

review 2018-06-18 22:01
#2 in Otherworld Re-read
Stolen - Kelley Armstrong

I'm re-reading this series this summer. This second volume is a good installment, especially with woman who do things as opposed to wait for things to be done. I forgot how young Savannah was when she first appeared. The realization of how age makes me dislike the

Adam and Savannah pairing. Still, that's my personal dislike. I enjoyed the introduction of Paige and of the women working together. Quite fun.

Old ReviewElena, to me at least, is the most engaging of Armstrong's characters. She is nicely flawed, not annoying, and has a sense of humor. While there are flaws in the book (Armstrong's writing here isn't as polished as it is in the later books), Stolen is a fun read. I enjoy the fact that Elena is NOT a classic beauty and really loved her comments about bust and waist size. Also enjoyable is the fact that Elena is not strictly rescued

review 2018-06-08 17:49
Review: Hunting Prince Dracula (Stalking Jack the Ripper #2) by Kerri Maniscalco
Hunting Prince Dracula - Kerri Maniscalco

Following the grief and horror of her discovery of Jack the Ripper's true identity, Audrey Rose Wadsworth has no choice but to flee London and its memories. Together with the arrogant yet charming Thomas Cresswell, she journeys to the dark heart of Romania, home to one of Europe's best schools of forensic medicine...and to another notorious killer, Vlad the Impaler, whose thirst for blood became legend.

But her life's dream is soon tainted by blood-soaked discoveries in the halls of the school's forbidding castle, and Audrey Rose is compelled to investigate the strangely familiar murders. What she finds brings all her terrifying fears to life once again.

First off , I think this book would make a great TV show and I for sure would watch it :D

I started this book knowing it was book two but didn’t think they are connected . For some reason I thought they are following different people and since I didn’t read book one….. yet I started it. I learned pretty early on that I was wrong but I really didn’t care at that point because I just liked it way to much. Plus If didn’t really spoil that much and I really didn’t think the Jack the Ripper book would have a HEA

I usually not a big fan of historical fiction but this one sounded interesting and it was. It was well written, it was fun and kept you guessing. The setting while was great, and I really enjoyed it.

I also loved Audrey, she was a powerhouse for her time, she didn’t let the men put her down no matter what they said or how they treated her.  She was a real trailblazer for the tiimepwriod and that was another thing I enjoyed.  She was also very funny and had many laugh out loud moments on top her sassiness.

I also enjoyed Thomas very much and it seems like her always found trouble somewhere. I LOVED them together, it was funny, sweet , sassy  and of course romantic and  bit scandals for the time period.  It also was spooky and sometimes gross, not overly so that people with weak stomachs couldn’t handle it.  Overall it was soo much fun and I cant wait to actually read the first book lol.

Also after the ending I look very much forward to book three in the series. Over all I read the book 5★ , I listen to the Audio which was fantastic.

Buy Links

Amazon *** B&N *** Kobo

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/index.php/2018/06/08/review-hunting-prince-dracula-stalking-jack-the-ripper-2-by-kerri-maniscalco
review 2018-05-04 04:15
Wonderful

Audiobook -
Narration 5 stars
Another fun adventure with the young sleuths as they travel to the land of Dracula. The ending was fantastic, I cheered ! I can't wait to read their next adventure in America