logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: dresden
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-04-23 22:23
Reading progress 4%
Strange Brew (Includes: The Dresden Files, #10.4) - P.N. Elrod

I started this anthology for the Mercy Thompson story of course, but I am enjoying the others as well.

It had come from a pay phone. There weren’t many of those left, now that cell phones had made it less profitable for the phone companies to keep repairing the damage of vandals.

review 2020-04-23 21:01
Reading progress 79%
Strange Brew (Includes: The Dresden Files, #10.4) - P.N. Elrod

Hell hath no fury like a ten-year-old with headless dolls.

review 2020-04-23 20:00
Reading progress 22%
Strange Brew (Includes: The Dresden Files, #10.4) - P.N. Elrod

I might be running low on bottled semen, but the truth was, you could always get more of that.

review 2020-03-26 01:52
Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
Dead Beat: The Dresden Files, Book 7 - James Marsters,Jim Butcher

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I had a great time with my re-read of this book! I originally read this series years ago and enjoyed it so much that I decided to pick up the audiobooks to experience it all over again. I have been slowing working my way through the series for a second time often working a book into my reading schedule when I need a bit of a lift. This seemed like the perfect time for a little Harry Dresden and it proved to be a wonderful escape.

Although this was a re-read, there were a lot of things about this book that I didn't remember anymore. There were a few stand out sections of the book that I was able to recall and enjoyed being able to revisit them. This is the seventh book in The Dresden Files series which is a series that really should be read in order since the character relationships grow and change over the course of the series.

This was a pretty exciting installment in the series. Harry is put in charge of watering Karin's plants while she is on vacation and ends up working to save her reputation for a ruthless vampire. There are some powerful forces searching for a very powerful item that has the potential to do a lot of damage. Harry has to battle several necromancers and their zombies with only the help of his brother and a polka playing mortician. There were some pretty big scenes in this book and I really appreciated Harry's interactions with Sue.

James Marsters brings so much to this story. His narration is really top-notch and I found this book to be a joy to listen to. He does a fantastic job with a wide range of character voices in the series and I love how consistent he has been throughout the series. He is able to add a lot of emotion and excitement to the story through his reading. I believe that I enjoyed this book a bit more during my re-read than I did the first time largely due to his narration.

I would recommend this book to others. This is a smartly written story that is filled with wonderful characters, intense action, a bit of humor, and an interesting plot. I cannot wait to continue with my re-read of this exciting series!

Initial Thoughts
This was a re-read for me. It has been quite a few years since I first read this book and while I remember some key scenes, my memory is poor enough that it was almost like reading it for the first time. Marsters does a fantastic job with the narration and the story was really exciting. I am looking forward to tackling the next book in the series very soon.

Book source: purchased

review 2020-03-09 16:49
Review: Side Jobs: Stories from the Dresden Files (The Dresden Files, #12.5) by Jim Butcher
Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Files - Jim Butcher
October 26th 2010
Hardcover
418
Library

Here, together for the first time, are the shorter from Jim Butcher's DRESDEN FILES series — a compendium of cases that Harry and his cadre of allies managed to close in record time. The tales range from the deadly serious to the absurdly hilarious. Also included is a new, never-before-published novella that takes place after the cliff-hanger ending of the new April 2010 hardcover, Changes.

Contains:
+ "Restoration of Faith"
+ "Vignette"
+ "Something Borrowed" -- from My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding
+ "It's My Birthday Too" -- from Many Bloody Returns
+ "Heorot" -- from My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon
+ "Day Off" -- from Blood Lite
+ "Backup" -- novelette from Thomas' point of view, originally published by Subterranean Press
+ "The Warrior" -- novelette from Mean Streets
+ "Last Call" -- from Strange Brew
+ "Love Hurts" -- from Songs of Love and Death
+ Aftermath -- all-new novella from Murphy's point of view, set forty-five minutes after the end of Changes

Goodreads

Amazon

Barnes & Noble

Kobo

Side Jobs features several short stories in the world of The Dresden Files. Each story takes place before or after a novel in the series. If you haven’t read the series then I’d recommend starting the series and reading them in-between the novels they are showcased or wait until you finished reading up to and through Changes. Some of the short stories can stand on their own, but many fill in gabs or give us a better understand of the world, relationships, and characters.

The one that you should not read as a stand-alone is, Aftermath. It comes after the events of Changes and that novel as the title says Changes everything and will be a spoiler. A few others are spoiler like; The Warrior & Something Borrowed.

Below is my thoughts on each short story. All are amazing and this book is well worth reading if you are a Dresden fan.

Restoration of Faith
Takes place before Storm Front

This one showcases Harry. It’s the first time he and us meet of Murphy for the first time. A kid who’s not happy with her situation runs away. Harry tells her that you have to hold onto the good and not let the dark sneak in.

It was fun to see that first interaction/meet of Harry and Murphy. There is always a choose that determines who you will be. What your values are.

Vignette
Takes place between Death Masks and Blood Rites

Bob and Harry discussing Harry’s advertisement in the paper and how it needs more pizzazz.

This was a fun and humorous one. I laughed/chuckled.

Something Borrowed
Takes place between Dead Beat and Proven Guilty

Murphy, Harry, Billy & Georgia are all featured. We get to see Bill and Georgia’s wedding, but things don’t go as planned. An evil stepmother, something else try to thwart the wedding, and true loves kiss.

Sweet, exciting, and will they be dead in the morning or make it through.

It’s My Birthday, Too
Takes place between white Night and Small Favor

Harry, Molly, and Thomas are featured. It’s Thomas’s Birthday on Valentines Day. Harry has a present for him, but while dropping it off things take a turn into Disastrous.

A human who finds vampires and wants revenge on those that wronged her. Full of death and destruction. What’s the Dresden world.

Heorot
Takes place between White Night and Small Favor

Mac, Gard, Mouse, & Harry are featured. Dresden teams up with Gard to help save a girl who’s been kidnapped by a Grendelkin. In the process we learn what Guard is and her real name.

This was a nice surprise. I didn’t know what Guard is and now I do. Mouse I love him.

Day Off
Takes place between Small Favor and Turn Coat

Harry’s got a day off and he’s planning to spend it with Anastasia. As you figure out things don’t go as planned. It’s one issue after another to keep his day off not being a day off, but Harry can’t turn down helping his friends and he wouldn’t change the day.

In true Harry fashion he dons’t get time off and it’s one fun, silly, and weird day.

Backup
Takes places between Small Favor and Turn Coat

This one features Thomas, Harry’s half brother, and vampire. It’s his POV. We see Thomas’s struggles with his other side, balancing his world and being in Harry’s life, and a secret war besides the Wizard/Vampire war going on, another hidden one.

I enjoyed seeing the Vampire side and Thomas. I know what happens to him, so seeing this was bitter sweet.

The Warrior
Takes place between Small Favor and Turn Coat and before “Last Call”

This one features Michael, Dresdens friend and former Knights of the Cross. It showcase Michael and his family after some events that changed his life. He’s in danger and so are the swards that Harry is holding on.

I don’t usually like when Real Religion is brought into the world/stories, but Jim Butcher has a way of making it work in his world. This was a powerful read.

Rated 4.5 Stars

Last Call
Takes place between Small Favor and Turn Coat

Harry shows up at Mac’s bar to find everyone passed out and a the place looking like a brawl happened. Harry and Murphy go on the hunt to find out who’s enchanting Mac’s beer and why. No one should have messed with Mac’s bar since it’s neutral ground.

A fun read with the usual running around and figuring out what’s up. Harry and Murphy have always been a great team.

Love Hurts
Takes place between Turn Coat and Changes

Murphy and Harry team up again to solve what is happening to couples. Three couples have been murdered and the last one was messed up. Who’s meddling with peoples minds and making them fall in love. What they find is that love hurts

Its love gone wrong or is it right? Another supernatural trying to wipe out another supernatural power through a different type of method.

Aftermath
Takes places the hours after the end of Changes

**WARNING: Do Not Read unless you have read Changes. You will be spoiled.

Murphy and Harry are going on a date, finally, but what she finds is blood all over the boat he’s staying at and no Harry around. If every the Alpha’s needed help Harry told them to go to Murphy. Here Will and Murphy team up to find Georgia, Will’s missing wife and along the way uncover something more. We see that Murphy is not inflatable, that she’s dealing with Harry’s vanishment and taking up his mental until he returns. We have a new guard.

All I can say is OMG. I felt for Murphy. I cried. I was on the edge of my set. So so good.

Rated: 4.5 Stars

Facebook Twitter Google+

Source: angelsguiltypleasures.com/2020/03/review-side-jobs-stories-from-the-dresden-files-the-dresden-files-12-5-by-jim-butcher