Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: dystopian
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-03-22 01:55
The Gate to Women's Country
The Gate to Women's Country - Sheri S. Tepper

If I had read this when it was first published, in the 80s, I think I would have really liked this book. Alas, I read it now and it mostly made me angry.

This book channels second wave feminism pretty heartily, and unfortunately it also falls into some of the movement's pitfalls. Powerfully negative attitudes towards men lie the foundation for this story - an idea that men are innately violent and aggressive, and women are not, is the true dividing line. This book pretends that personality is based purely on nature with nurture making little difference. Bodily autonomy and emotional connectivity fall to the wayside in favor of eugenics and manipulation. And to make it even worse the lack of gender non-conforming or non-heterosexual individuals in this world is not an oversight - the book flat out states that queer characters were bred out (see page 76 in my edition). To say that the story is misandrist, gender essentialist, and aggressively heteronormative would not be inaccurate nor unfair.

As much as I wanted to throw this book across my room at times, or to give it a half star rating, I will give it some credit where credit is due. This book is of its time, and it came from an angry place. And I get that. I've felt that. A lot of people have. It is interesting to use science fiction to play around with thought experiments, and our book club had an excellent discussion about this one. Tepper quite obviously put a lot of thought into her world, and the world-building was fairly intricate. The characters were drawn well enough that I truly hated many of them, and some mirrored individuals I've known in my past. There are some really excellent insights in here, and even passages that I reread because they struck a chord with me. However, I just couldn't get past the politics. It's a great book to talk about and critique, but it is not a book I feel I can recommend outside of that capacity.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-03-17 07:21
Book Review : Restore me Tahereh mafi
Restore Me - Tahereh Mafi
March 6-9

Juliette Ferrars thought she'd won. She took over Sector 45, was named the new Supreme Commander, and now has Warner by her side. But she's still the girl with the ability to kill with a single touch—and now she's got the whole world in the palm of her hand. When tragedy hits, who will she become? Will she be able to control the power she wields and use it for good?

REVIEW: I loved this book I dont know how im supposed to wait for the next book. So this takes place after ignite me and shes taken over sector 45 and I love thats its in dule Pov . So we find out a lot Julliette is adopted and her parents are coming to find her and they were as much monster's as her adopted ones she has an older sister she didnt know about . I love warner and julliette but warner needs to work on openening up to to her I was sad they broke up but I think with everything going on maybe they need to not be together at this moment I still want them together. I still love kenji and hearing his backstory was so sad I did love seeing him trying to flirt with the new character so cute. The ending was crazy her freaking parents took her to some location and she finds old pictures of herself and one with warner omg cliffhanger.

Yeah first question: why are you such a dick ?
Warner stands up . Sweetheart , he says quietly , I hope you will forgive me for what I'm about to do to his face.
Hey , asshole , I can still hear you.

Men , she says , are always so baffled by women's clothing. So many options about a body that does not belong to them. Cover up , dont cover up - she waves a hand no one can seem to decide.
But thats not what I - Kenji tries to say.
You know what I think, she says , still smiling , about someone telling me what's legsl and illegal about the way I dress ?
She holds up two middle fingers.

I'm very tired I say to him please go directly to hell

“I love the sight of his naked body.
especially in these quiet, vulnerable moments. These brackets of time stapled between dreams and reality are my favorite. There's a sweetness in this hesitant consciousness - a careful, gentle return of form of function, I've found I love these minutes most for the delicate way in which they unfold. It's tender.
Slow motion.
Time tying its shoes

“She reaches down, her fingers trailing along the zipper of my pants, and the movement sears through me. My vision goes white. For a moment I hear nothing but my heart, pounding in my head.
“You are trying to kill me,” I say.
“Aaron.” I can feel her smile as she whispers the word in my ear. She’s unbuttoning my pants. “Please.”
And I, I am gone.”

“You’re a total catch.” “I know, right? I keep trying to tell people.

“Idiots are highly flammable, love. Let them all burn in hell.”

Who says you can’t be cute and kick ass at the same time?” Kenji winks at me. “I do it every day.”

I mean , I’ve always known I had a great face. But now I know, like, for sure that I’ve got a great face. And it’s just so validating.”

review 2018-03-13 22:24
Fall of Queen Elena...
The Gender End - Bella Forrest

The Gender End is the seventh and final book in The Gender Game series. I've been following the series since book one so I've been waiting for this finale for a while and was glad to finally get some closure.

Violet and Viggo along with their group of Matrus and Patrus survivors, head to Matrus to make a stand against Queen Elena to take her down once and for all. Going up against a psycho Queen though, means the fight was not without many struggles and sacrifices along the way but there were also several wedding celebrations thrown in to even things out a bit. All in all, I was pleased with the ending and how all the loose ends tied together. I was especially glad to see the cowardly, loud mouth, King of Patrus finally get what he's deserved for a while now. He's caused me much distress throughout this series so that was one of the highlights of the story for me.  :  )

review 2018-03-12 23:32
Insanely long dystopian/apocalyptic novel that holds on to you tightly; vivid imagery, could be shorter
The Fireman: A Novel - Joe Hill

So I read this as it was someone else’s pick for the ‘Horror Postal Book Club’ I’m in, and my first reaction when I received it was ‘oh my goodness, this book is huge’. It happened to be the first Joe Hill novel I’ve got around to reading, and it really was a wild ride. A long one.
It feels dystopian, apocalyptic, and sometimes sci-fi, and has huge sections that have a lot of action, but then it also felt quite slow in parts. I definitely feel like it could have been a lot less than 762 pages to get the story told.
Since I’ve journaled my way through my reading of this for my book club (we are mailing the book to each other; all the way from Singapore to me in Seattle, and back to out to Asia by way of BC, Germany, and Spain), I won’t babble too much here, especially since there are tons of reviews. My next Joe Hill will have to be NOS4A2, so I’d love to see how his writing compares between novels. This is entirely entertaining (and depressing, in too many ways!), but not the quickest read.
*Note: I don’t like it when the Space Needle gets hurt in books...

review 2018-03-11 13:20
Not Interested in Continuing Series
The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds #1) - Alexandra Bracken

Good grief this book was long and tedious. It could have ended at least half a dozen times but it just kept going. I think it was about 500 pages and for most of it my eyes were just glazed over. Not all young adult dystopian novels are equal.

The main character Ruby was flat and I didn't care or feel connected to the secondary characters at all. This needed edited to make the story more coherent.

Ruby is 16 and is one of the children who has been shipped off and locked away. A mysterious disease has wiped out half the children in the United States and the rest that lived are develop special abilities. This first book seriously reads like the X-Men comics.

Ruby lived in Thurmond, a rehabilitation camp where the kids are tested and forced to work. When a secret comes out concerning Ruby's real abilities she is broken out of Thurmond and eventually escapes again with a unlikely group of kids.

Ruby is not confident and flails around for most of this book. I honestly wish Bracken had taken time to develop Ruby more. But instead she jumps back and forth to see what happened to Ruby and her family (that took like almost 300 pages to get there) with more time spent on Ruby mooning over the character of Liam.

The writing was purple prose at times, but mostly just needed streamlined. There was no flow. Each chapter felt like and "now this other thing is happening".

I didn't think the world building worked at all. There were too many plot holes with the children developing IAAN. It also doesn't make sense with children dying off, the government would then round up children to test and then have them making shoes in a factory. The testing of some of the kids gets explained later, but it didn't work for me. I'm also confused if this has spread worldwide and what other countries are doing to deal with IAAN. It also sounds like in five years the US government has gone to crap with the President for life and I don't know if the country would really sit back and not allow elections or Congress to be shut down.

I also rolled my eyes at the kids being sorted by colors (enjoy reading about blues, greens, yellows, reds, and oranges). At one point I had a terrible flashback to Divergent.

The setting moves constantly though Ruby, Liam, Chubs, eventually make it to East River where they come across the leader, Clancy Gray.

The ending was a meh moment to me. Bracken only did it to set up some angst in the series I am sure.

I read this for Kill Your Darlings, but am now switching to read it for/claim Severus Snape. One of the characters, Clancy Gray is morally ambiguous and this was published after 1990 (published in 2012).