logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: dystopian
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-06-21 16:22
Twell and the Uprising (Como Chronicles #3) by Kate O'Leary
Twell and the Uprising - Kate O'leary
ARRRRGGGGHHHHH - that's how I feel about Twell and the Uprising, the final book in the Como Chronicles so far. I say so far because I'm really hoping for an epilogue type story, just because I'm greedy and I really don't want to leave Twell, Jonaz, and co. Once again, this book starts where the last book finished. Twell is held captive by the Abwarzians, and they are not treating her gently! Not only have they put a chip in her head which causes her untold pain, but she is dehydrated and forced to fight. Now, one of the things that I have loved about Twell is that she is NOT a damsel in distress. So when she hallucinated near the beginning of the book, I was wondering what was going on! She'd never been rescued before! Of course, it turned out that she wasn't being rescued, which strangely made me sigh with relief. Even in these circumstances, Twell makes friends with those that you would think she would hate. No, Twell is able to look past things that others can't, which is in part what makes her so dangerous to the G.B. Also, Shanna makes a reappearance.

I won't say anything else about the book as I really don't want to give away any spoilers. Suffice it to say, that I have loved all three of these books, but especially this one. Maybe it's because everything is coming to a conclusion? Maybe it's because I see more of Jonaz in this book? Maybe it's because Maza gets her comeuppance? Maybe it's because Brazin turns into Papa Bear? Or maybe it's because this book/series is simply outstanding and I thoroughly loved every word? Why not read it for yourself and make your own mind up. You won't regret it, I can promise you that. And if you don't? Well, there's always a long walk in the wetlands!

Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!

Source: sites.google.com/site/archaeolibrarian/merissa-reviews/comochronicles1-3bykateoleary
review 2017-06-21 16:16
Twell and the Rebellion (Como Chronicles #2) by Kate O'Leary
Twell and the Rebellion - Kate O'leary
Twell and the Rebellion starts from where book 1 left off - thank goodness!!! I had guessed who her genetic match was with the description of the silver eyes, but I did enjoy the feeling of knowing that I had guessed correctly. The action is pretty much non-stop in this book as Twell's training ups a gear and she meets others with the same powers as her. Unfortunately, because they're training in power groups, it means that she doesn't see as much of Jonaz, or the others. Add Avin into the mix and it's not surprising that Twell feels confused, and easy pickings for Shanna. Now, I need to say something that might not go down too well, but I didn't like Shanna as a character. I started off with the same feelings for Mira, but she grew on me (like fungus!), until I loved every scene with her in it because of her acerbic tone. Shanna though... nah, she doesn't do it for me. I will also say that I really, REALLY, dislike love triangles. And yet you will notice that I gave this book 5-stars. Simply put, it is because there is no 'nonsense' in this book. Everything that Twell feels and goes through, I could understand perfectly how she felt. She wasn't just being indecisive for the fun of it, which seems to happen all too often.

This book is absolutely chock-full of character development, with new characters to behold too. I don't think there were any editing or grammatical errors in it, but I was too engrossed to notice if there were! With a gripping story, cliffhanger ending, full of emotions, and smoothly paced - what more could you ask for? Highly recommended by me.

review 2017-06-21 16:00
Twell and the Army of Powers (Como Chronicles #1) by Kate O'Leary
Twell and the Army of Powers - Kate O'leary
Twell and the Army of Powers is the first book in the Como Chronicles. It gives us an in-depth view into the lives of those who live there, how their lives are regulated, what is forbidden, and what isn't. Twell is the main character, and the story is told from her perspective, and yet is still rounded out enough that you don't feel like you are missing out on anything.

Twell is a bit of a brat at the start of the book, and I mean that in the nicest possible way. Her character grows in ways unforeseen, by her own actions and by the 'gentle' advice from her friends. All of the characters have grit though, whether you like them or not. There is not a weak character amongst them, and they all grow and change throughout the book.

There is so much I want to say about this book, but won't in case of spoilers. Things happened that I never saw coming; my heart was broken on more than one occasion; it jumped into my mouth as I desperately held onto hope (even knowing that the author wouldn't make it so easy). The story is concise and gripping, thrilling and action-packed, ending on a cliffhanger that had me shouting out "NO!" even though I had already suspected the outcome!

This is a fantastic Young Adult Dystopian story with a dash of romance, that is guaranteed to enthral the reader. Absolutely recommended by me.

review 2017-06-15 08:00
They Came With The Snow by Christopher Coleman
They Came With The Snow - Christopher Co... They Came With The Snow - Christopher Coleman

They Came With The Snow by Christopher Coleman is a short horror story. Dominic and Naia are bunkered in the student union building at Warren Community College. The sun hasn't shown for three days. They need to escape.

I gave it four stars because it kept my interesting and was a fast book to read. This reminded me of The Final Winter: An Apocalyptic Horror Novel by Iain Rob Wright.

I received a complimentary Kindle copy in an Amazon promotion. That did not change my opinion for this review.

Link to purchase: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XPL2Q4L

review 2017-06-08 22:42
Infinite by Jeremy Robinson
Infinite - Jeremy Robinson

Synopsis:

"SEARCHING FOR A NEW HOME...

The Galahad, a faster-than-light spacecraft, carries fifty scientists and engineers on a mission to prepare Kepler 452b, Earth's nearest habitable neighbor at 1400 light years away. With Earth no longer habitable and the Mars colony slowly failing, they are humanity's best hope.

After ten years in a failed cryogenic bed--body asleep, mind awake--William Chanokh's torture comes to an end as the fog clears, the hatch opens, and his friend and fellow hacker, Tom, greets him...by stabbing a screwdriver into his heart. This is the first time William dies.

It is not the last.

When he wakes from death, William discovers that all but one crew member--Capria Dixon--is either dead at Tom's hands, or escaped to the surface of Kepler 452b. This dire situation is made worse when Tom attacks again--and is killed. Driven mad by a rare reaction to extended cryo-sleep, Tom hacked the Galahad's navigation system and locked the ship on a faster-than-light journey through the universe, destination: nowhere. Ever.

Mysteriously immortal, William is taken on a journey with no end, where he encounters solitary desperation, strange and violent lifeforms, a forbidden love, and the nature of reality itself.

...HE DISCOVERS THE INFINITE."

Loved this book! It was totally different from the author's other works and it was simply fantastic!
I highly recommend this one for, not only sci fi fans, but for anyone wanting to read something new and different. You will not be sorry!

5 stars and a favorite!