logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: dystopian
Load new posts () and activity
review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-10-21 13:04
Review: Day By Day Armageddon: Beyond Exile
Day by Day Armageddon: Origin to Exile - J.L. Bourne

This was an amazing follow-up to "Armageddon"!  Our protagonist and group survive the incursion of hostiles, regroup and keep on keeping on.  They do more reconnaissance and perform a fee rescue, one of which involves military personnel.  This eventually leads to our protagonist returning to active military service and becoming the ranking officer on the ground, which put him in charge of many soldiers and civilians.  There is a small contingent of military (on destroyer ships) still active and trying to do what they can to protect the remaining living and take out the threat of the dead.

After a search mission gone bad, our protagonist is separated from the group, on his own, injured and on foot, hundreds of miles from home.  It's a harrowing experience and he almost dies several times.  Then his luck changes and he gets help from an unknown group, with experimental tech.  He picks up an ally along the way, and they work together to get back to safety.

He makes it back to the bunker after being gone for 45 days.  Once back and rested they learn that the group that 'helped' him get back home, had ulterior motives, and the bunker comes under siege.  They are able to escape and get evacuated to the war ships.  There we learn that they are planning a mission to China to retrieve patient zero--because of course it always starts in China!  And this all started because scientists found a non terrestrial vessel in a block of ice and just had to investigate it.  They didn't follow protocol, this the outbreak of an unknown disease that brings the dead back. *sigh*  That explanation was unexpected, but not necessarily a bad one.  At least this series gives an actual explanation as to where this outbreak came from.  Now our protagonist is commissioned to the mission to find patient zero and perhaps a cure, or vaccine.  Can't wait to see what happens next!

review 2018-10-17 22:30
Are we, as in humans, headed in this direction???
The Last Town - Blake Crouch

~SERIES BLURB~

Wayward Pines Series

Blake Crouch

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The plot surrounds Secret Service agent Ethan Burke's introduction to the remote small town of Wayward Pines, his new home from which he cannot escape. The mysteries and horrors of the town build until Ethan discovers its secret. Then he must do his part to keep Wayward Pines protected from without and within.

~MY QUICKIE (and non-spoiler) REVIEW~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A very mysterious, uniquely done creepy-scary scenario with scy-fy and dystopian-ish elements, this trilogy is a must-read. I loved it, despite certain aspects confusing the heck out of me…I'm inclined to believe that's on me, more than the writing, though.  And geez-louise, what an ending...

If you don't know much about this series…you should keep it that way…and dive in.  Seriously, just do it.  The narration is excellently done for one-person narration.

4.7STARS - GRADE=A

Theme or Tone~ 5/5

Flow (Writing Style)~ 4.5/5

Backdrop (World Building)~ 5/5

Originality~ 5/5

Ending~ 4.5/5  Cliffhanger~ Well…

Book Cover~ Meh…

Narration~4.5 for Paul Garcia

Series~ Wayward Pines #3

Setting~ Wayward Pines

Source~ I Own Audible Audiobook

I used this for Modern Noir Square in Halloween Bingo 2018

review 2018-10-13 20:13
WTF...this series just keeps getting better, while others did not...I felt this second book surpassed the first.
Wayward (The Wayward Pines Series, Book Two) - Blake Crouch

~SERIES BLURB~

Wayward Pines

Blake Crouch

~MY QUICKIE (non-spoiler) REVIEW~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is the type of story that you should go into blind…or at least semi-blind.  So I won't say anything about the plot itself.  I was completely absorbed in this audiobook, other than the beginning where I struggled to remember what happened at the end of Pines, I eventually fell into the story and started remembering.  If you decide to read this series...don't watch the TV show, after finishing the first book, I watched about an episode and a half and it has differences in how things play out, that only confused me when I started this book.  What a crazy-scary AF atmosphere that Blake Crouch has masterminded here in this series.  I cannot wait to listen to the third and final book in this series.

4.7STARS - GRADE=A

Theme or Tone~ 5/5

Flow (Writing Style)~ 4.5/5

Backdrop (World Building)~ 4.7/5

Originality~ 5/5

Ending~ 4.3/5 Cliffhanger~ Yeah…you could say that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Book Cover~ It's fitting…

Narration~5 for Paul Michael Garcia, he is perfect in this series.

Series~ Wayward Pines #2

Setting~ Wayward Pines

Source~ I own Audible Audiobook

I used this for Terror In A Small Town Square for Halloween Bingo 2018

review 2018-09-27 23:11
In a handful of dust there is not a drop to drink...my doomy doomsday pick
In a Handful of Dust - Mindy McGinnis

~BOOK BLURB~

In A Handful Of Dust

Mindy McGinnis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A dangerous disease strikes the community where teenage Lucy lives. When her adoptive mother, Lynn, takes Lucy away from their home and friends in order to protect her, Lucy struggles to figure out what home means. During their journey west to find a new life, the two face nature's challenges, including hunger, mountains, and deserts.

~MY QUICKIE REVIEW~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An interesting follow-up to Not A Drop to Drink, while I didn't like it as much as the first installment, I did like it…I'm just not completely on-board with that ending.  Overall, a sadness hangs over the whole book…that never really dissipates with the ending, like the Author set out to make a series that puts the dis in dystopian.  She did have some interesting developments in this journey from Ohio to California…some I've never seen the likes of before.  One, in particular, was jaw-dropping.

This second book is from Lucy's pov instead of Lynn's, as it is in the first book.  I was sad that Cassandra Campbell wasn't the narrator, I really liked her, but a different narrator was the best way to keep a distinction between their voices.

4STARS - GRADE=B+

Theme or Tone~ 4/5

Flow (Writing Style)~ 5/5

Backdrop (World Building)~ 4.5/5

Originality~ 4/5

Ending~ 4/5 Cliffhanger~ Not really.

Book Cover~  I like it…

Narration~ 3.7 for Allyson Ryan, she did grow on me, eventually.

Series~ Not A Drop to Drink #2

Setting~ From Ohio to California

Source~ Audiobook (Library)

I'm using this for Doomsday Square in Halloween Bingo 2018

review 2018-09-22 11:41
Doomsday Anthology
Doomsday - Samie Sands

edited by Samie Sands

Fourteen stories all on the theme of the world coming to an end. Of course such an idea intrigued me! I had never read any of the authors before but part of the idea of anthologies is to discover new voices. Like most anthologies, some stories appealed more than others. It's well edited and I don't remember tripping over any typos at all.

There were just three of the dreaded present tense stories and a couple of others where the writing wasn't up to scratch or the plot went nowhere, but also a few notable stories with interesting ideas stood out.

We had aliens, zombies, vampires eating zombies, people who melt, mythological gods, dystopia, dead people who stay animate long enough to testify against their murderers, WW3, immortality whether you want it or not and a fairy world dying. Quite a variety of approaches!

The stand out stories IMO are From Strange to Indifferent by Katie Jaarsveld and Nightmare Rising by McKenzie Richardson. Both of these are well written and explore some interesting ideas. The latter will be of particular interest to Fantasy fans.

Not too bad as such collections go and it's given me two more authors to pay attention to.