logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: early-readers
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-05-25 19:17
Reading resource
Excellent Books for Early and Eager Readers - Kathleen T Isaacs

Excellent Books for Early and Eager Readers by Kathleen T. Isaacs is more or less a giant bibliography of books for children. It's organized into different categories such as transitional books (between picture books, easy readers, or short chapter books), quests, talking animal stories, and books about magic. I ended up taking down so many titles to add to my TRL that I had a stack that was nigh on teetering to the ceiling (18 books before I stopped counting). Needless to say, this is an excellent resource for anyone who is either a professional working with children or a parent trying to encourage their child to reach their maximum potential. (It doesn't beat the Read-Aloud Handbook though.) This isn't a book one would generally read cover-to-cover (although that's exactly what I did) but rather one you'd dip in and out of for ideas on books you and the children in your life could read. 8/10

What's Up Next: The Dreamers by Karen Thompson Walker

What I'm Currently Reading: The Lumberjanes Vol. 4: Out of Time by Shannon Watters, Noelle Stevenson, Grace Ellis, & Brooke Allen

Source: readingfortheheckofit.blogspot.com
review 2017-08-22 02:39
Eugenia Lincoln and the Unexpected Package: Tales from Deckawoo Drive, Volume Four - Chris Van Dusen,Kate DiCamillo
Eugenia Lincoln and the Unexpected Package: Tales from Deckawoo Drive, Volume Four - Kate DiCamillo,Chris Van Dusen

What are the odds on finding affordable housing at the corner of Deckawoo Drive and Sesame Street? I really want to move to a place without racism or any of the other nasty hates that have been so apparent lately. A place where strangers are helpful, and the neighbors share in your good fortune.

DeCamillo makes me feel better about humanity and cheerful. Van Dusen's art is the perfect visual accompaniment. My Offspring are all grown up, but even they are delighted to see such a book arrive.

Go, spend a little time. I'm certain the air is sweet, even when Mercy Watson walks by. You can take a child with you, but you don't have to.

Enjoy.

ARC provided by publisher through GoodReads giveaway. Because joy.

review 2017-06-03 13:55
My Pet Human - Yasmine Surovec
My Pet Human - Yasmine Surovec

A homeless street can narrates the 're of finding a family and a friend for his new pet human. The anime style of "the look" that elicits good from humans is worth it, all in its own.

library copy

review 2017-05-15 14:24
Lovable Lyle - Bernard Waber
Lovable Lyle - Bernard Waber

Lyle is lovable, don't try to resist him. Everyone wants her own Lyle.

***

Still true.

But also? In a climate where hate speech and hate crimes are increasing, the book feels way darker than it did before. Poor Lyle, doing everything he can to keep people from fearing him, and none of it does any good to sway people who refuse to believe that an upright-walking, talking, socially responsible crocodile could be human. What's wrong with people?

review 2016-09-19 17:33
Elephants Cannot Dance! - Mo Willems
Elephants Cannot Dance! - Mo Willems

When I was a child, Dr. Seuss was the name in early readers. He wasn't the only writer, nor always the best, but he was who you thought of first. Now the name is Mo Willems. His books are consistently funny, artistically appealing in their simplicity, and the pigeon kills with every appearance.

I sit here in September, typing with right hand only, because my left hand is resting, reassuringly, on Calder Alexander Eno, who is sitting in the chair pulled up next to mine. I'm doing this, because we are finally getting some rain, which will stop all the humans from hideous allergy attacks and sinus headaches, of which we are heartily sick, both figuratively and literally. Calder is an enormous jellicle cat, more than twenty pounds, long and tall, and he's probably the snuggliest cat I've ever met, but he is frightened of thunder: when it rumbles he growls and goes and hides under Natasha's bed. He has already spent half the day under there, so I'm trying to keep him calm and happy. Such a good cat. I go back to work October 3, so that's two weeks to catch up on one hundred seventy-eight book reviews. I can do this.

Library copy