logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: ebook-kindle
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
review 2016-05-03 08:25
The Boden Birthright, a Cimarron Legacy Novella by Mary Connealy
The Boden Birthright (The Cimarron Legacy): A Cimarron Legacy Novella - Mary Connealy

Establishing the entire foundation of a new series in a novella is a daunting task and Mary Connealy has done a more than credible job.

In this brief story, we see what drives Chance Boden to leave Boston for the wilds of the New Mexico Territory on a mission to reconnect with his four year old son, Cole, and with God.  We meet the woman he marries to hold the land her father gave his blood to protect.  We learn the roots and see new seeds planted for future threats and conflicts, while the characters of the three Boden children (Cole, Justin and Sadie) are established. But what I feel is the main take-away is the strong sense of the devotion to family that leads Chance to build a legacy for his children - both the ranch and a love of God.

He leaned close and his lips touched her temple as he whispered, "I will take care of you.  You're safe.  You're not alone."

Somehow it seemed as if those were his true wedding vows. (45%)

Though this at times suffers from the rushed feel that many novellas have, a too common side effect due to the brevity of the form, it is well worth reading.  While more somber and serious in tone than I expected from Connealy, it does have moments of humor that are simply precious.  Having a four year old interrupt a tender moment and later question certain aspects of married life is the perfect touch of humor from an author who says she writes "romantic comedies with cowboys."

If you are a fan of clean historical romances set in the American Old West, western stories and/or romances in general, or just an enjoyable and uplifting story, then this is well worth checking out (or downloading - currently free on sites like Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and ChristianBook.com).  Especially recommended for fans of Mary Connealy, of which I count myself one having adored her Wild at Heart trilogy.

I'm looking forward to the novels of this series with great anticipation.  Sadie will be the Boden featured in the first novel, No Way Up, scheduled to be published in July 2016.  An excerpt is included at the end of the novella, though I won't be reading it.  I might like it too much, and then waiting is so much harder.

This review was originally published on bookworlder.wordpress.com  Please do not reblog without permission.

show activity (+)
review 2016-04-13 05:06
PePr, Inc. (Perfect Partners, Incorporated Book 1) - Ann Christy

No formal review, because it would be too spoiler-ific.  But this is, in my opinion, a 5 star short story.  It is an engaging and accessible take on human/robot relations.  No prior sci-fi experience required.

I keep avoiding saying it surprised me, I'm afraid that that might be a spoiler in itself.  If so, I'm sorry.  I tried not to say it (and at least I didn't say that other word that really would have been a spoiler for me).

review 2014-03-05 18:31
A sweet freebie
Kismet (Serendipity, #1.5) - Carly Phillips

This review also posted at A Bookish Compulsion's Main site

Kismet was a cute and heartwarming tearjerker of a novella about second chances with the one who got away. I really appreciated the realistic nature of both the problems and people in this book. It allowed that people make mistakes, some of which can be life changing, and still be good. It also broke down the myth that happily-ever-after is a gift and made it clear that the happy ending can be a goal but it is one that takes a lot of work and honest communication…this book did not have a happy ending, it had a happy new beginning which, to me, was even sweeter.

I give Kismet a tears-of-joy four stars

review 2014-02-22 00:39
Harm's Hunger
Harm's Hunger (Bad in Boots, #1) - Patrice Michelle

This review also posted at A Bookish Compulsion's Main Site

Harm’s Hunger is a scorching hot read. From first to last this novella packs an amazing amount of passion and heat. The plot, in turns quirky and downright harebrained, also manages to invoke sweet emotion, capturing the foibles and strengths of human interaction. The characters are sweet and frustrating and stubborn to the core but also loyal and loving. While I’m not a fan of miscommunication being used as a plot device (among other highly improbable situational happenings) I can still appreciate the way it was used to speed up the pace of this very short work. All that said I think I would have liked a little more character development even if it came at the cost of some of the searingly hot love scenes.

All in all I give Harm’s Hunger three and a half smokin’ stars

I know Ms. Michelle from her Young Adult / New Adult series Brightest Kind of Darkness, a series that I positively adore. Ms. Michelle has been such a wonderful experience, both with the quality of work that she produces as an indie author and the interaction she encourages with her fans, that taking the leap from YA to adult fiction was a natural step. When it came to my attention that one of her contemporary romance novellas was being offered for free I figured I give it a go even if cowboys aren’t usually my first choice.

review 2014-02-12 22:43

Watching Jurassic Park:The Lost World...

...the great novels these movies were derived from were written by the late Micheal Crichton. one of my favorite authors ever. Crichton's attention to detail and exhaustive research into his subject matter made him one of the most influential writers of his time, inspiring many blockbuster movies including Jurassic Park, Congo, Sphere, The Great Train Robbery and The 13th Warrior as well as  the smash hit television series, ER.

If you've never read a Micheal Crichton novel, Jurassic Park and The Lost World are great ones to start with. I guarantee after reading these two remarkable novels you will see the movies in a different light.

www.amazon.com/dp/B00I2W991E/