logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: ebook
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-10-22 00:17
Weaver's Lament by Emma Newman
Weaver's Lament: Industrial Magic Book 2 (Kindle Single) - Emma Newman

Series: Industrial Magic #2

Charlotte's brother, Ben, is now working for the Royal Society in a mill (driven magically, naturally) and asks her to come visit him in Manchester to help him investigate the cause of some mysterious accidents at the mill. Apparently Socialists are suspected. Charlotte finds out that this is dead wrong, of course, and learns more about the Royal Society and Latents (latent magical users).

I still don't like Ben. He's very comfortable with using Charlotte, let's just say, and he always seems to get more out of her successes than she does (which she realizes as well). And even after seeing what working in those conditions does to her, he writes it off as she's just not used to hard work, not that there's something inherently unfair in the conditions at the mill. Poor Charlie.

I enjoyed this novella even more than the last, so I look forward to the next installment!

review 2017-10-21 16:18
Reread of Brother's Ruin by Emma Newman
Brother's Ruin - Emma Newman

Series: Industrial Magic #1

The second novella in Emma Newman's Industrial Magic series came out last week, and I was just hazy enough on the details of the first one that I decided to reread it before reading the second (plus novella so it's short). If anything, I think I enjoyed it more this time around and felt more forgiving towards some of the things that felt too convenient before. This is basically an alternate history that takes place in the Victorian era where the industrial revolution is being helped along by magic and magic used in industrial settings. The story takes places in London.

My first review can be found here.

review 2017-10-19 00:45
The Crow Trap
The Crow Trap - Ann Cleeves

Series: Vera Standhope #1

The first Vera Standhope book explores how a suicide may be linked to some subsequent murders and offers a late introduction to Vera herself. Overall I found the book to be quite enjoyable although I found the ending to be a bit of a let down, somehow. I do plan on exploring the rest of the series though.

This also marks my 144th book read this year, which completes my reading challenge. Not sure if I'll up it.

Previous update:

39 %

review 2017-10-15 16:44
Clouds of Witness by Dorothy L. Sayers
Clouds of Witness - Dorothy L. Sayers

I have to say that I have very little sympathy for Cathcart. This was a very convoluted mystery. Peter Wimsey investigates the death of his sister's fiancé when the police blame his brother, aided by his friend Parker. Saying more than that would spoil things.

It started it off pretty slow. I have to say that Sayers inquest and courtroom scenes aren't very riveting. Things pick up when Peter's mother comes onto the scene, and the scenes with banter and so on are fun.

I read this for the "Country House Mystery" square for the Halloween Bingo, making this my last official Bingo read. It fits the square quite nicely since the death takes place in the country and there's a limited pool of suspects. It's interesting that most of the salient events take place on the 14th of October, the same day I started to read the book (well, yes, some stuff happens before midnight on the 13th, but still).

Previous updates:

40 %

26 %

review 2017-10-14 16:32
The Malice by Peter Newman
The Malice - Peter C. Newman

Series: The Vagrant #2

Years have passed since the events of The Vagrant. I'm not certain of how many, but one review I found said it had been twelve years, which is consistent with how Vesper acts. Vesper, the little baby from the first book, takes centre stage as the main character of this one. When the Vagrant, whom she calls Father, doesn't answer Gamma's sword's call (the Malice), Vesper tries to take it to those who would help. Instead of being accompanied by the old goat, Vesper takes along the old goat's baby kid who is adorable and instrumental in the story (and not just as bait). The kid held the book at three stars, despite some of the clumsiness in parts.

This is basically an alternate fantasy world with technology that has fallen into a kind of Dystopia after the world is invaded by the infernals through the Breach (a kind of crack in reality). Infernals take over human bodies (sometimes in gross combinations) in order to survive in the new world. Something massive that's being called the Yearning is making its way through the Breach with potentially dire results for everybody, even for the infernals already there, halfbreeds and tainted humans. It is hoped that the Malice will be able to stop the Yearning, which is why Vesper journeys south.

Despite feeling fuzzy on how much time has passed since the events of the first book, I'm pretty confident that the source I found stating twelve years is pretty close if not spot on because Vesper certainly acts like she's twelve or thirteen and by the end of the book she's physically grown a bit. So I'm comfortable using this for the "Chilling Children" square for the Halloween Bingo. It could also be used the "Supernatural" and "Genre: Horror" squares, I think.

I know I mentioned that the kid is adorable but he's seriously adorable.

Previous update: