Etica, La - Fundamentos y Problematicas ...
I own this book in French, which is one of my native languages, but that edition doesn't seem to be listed on Goodreads.
This is a college or high school textbook on ethical philosophy, produced in French speaking Canada. How it found its way to my bookshop in France I don't know, but I feel pretty lucky to have a copy. It was perfect for the age I was at (early 20s) very approachable and readable but still serious in its approach to the subject matter. It's really too bad it isn't more widely available and doesn't seem to have been translated into English.
In case anyone's interested to know what it covers:
Part 1: The Nature of Ethics
- Preliminary discussion of ethical concepts, history, connection with other disciplines.
- Moral relativism, arguments in favor of its existence
- Moral progress, discussion on what it means and whether it occurs
- Tools for ethical thinking, e.g. the golden mean and others
Part 2: The Basis of Moral Judgements
- Appeals to divine commandment and its critics
- Appeals to nature and its critics
- Appeals to the common good and its critics
Part 3: Social Ethics
- Ethics and economics
- Ethics and democracy
Part 4: An anthology of texts dealing with ethical questions
Conclusion: Why should I act morally?