logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: evertrue
Load new posts () and activity
review 2015-06-04 16:31
Evertrue
Evertrue - Brodi Ashton This is not the ending that I either expected or wanted.
image
So going into this we already knew that Nikki and Jack were all about destroying the Enerneath. Which, personally, I think was stupid, but anyway.
Be warned: This review is one big long spoiler.
So, they accomplished it. They destroyed the Everneath. I hate it. Why? That's so predictable. I hate when MCs do exactly what they set out to do in the way they planned. Exactly. I kept waiting for Nikki to change her mind. Maybe even go for Cole. Let it be known that I was NOT shipping them and what he did, stealing her heart ((LITERALLY)) was wrong. Still, I wanted to switch it up. She and Jack were just too predictable. And Cole died for her. He gave up all his goals and eternity of immorality so that she could be human and waste away to nothing. Boo.
Cole was just one of those characters that I couldn't imagine not existing. He may not have gotten what he wanted, but I imagined him moving on and finding another queen. It would be bittersweet but he'd check up on her when she was old and gray and be wistful. But no. He died. Snapped his guitar pick aka heart in half. And just when I was starting to have some sympathy for him. Of course, that's mostly because he lost his memory and pretty much became a different person (or his real self).

I really wasn't feeling Jack and Nikki here. I don't know why. I think it's because it was too intense, if that makes sense. They went from high school could where she couldn't trust him for a getaway with friends to willing to die for each other.
But I have to give this book points for world-building. The Everneath is unlike anything I've ever read.
review 2014-09-29 07:14
Hades can now die happy for somebody has actually managed to make his world interesting
Evertrue - Brodi Ashton

Everneath series is a modern take on the world of Persephone and Hades and the associated greek myths. Evertrue is the final book in the trilogy and even though, not that highly impressed with the way things concluded I m definitely happy with the book in general as it has continued the goodness that it had started with its first book

Everneath is a paranormal romance and hence comes with everything mushy, cheesy and chocolatey associated with these sorts of books. Romance and love triangles being an eminent factor in such books is in its full color throughout, but what makes it interesting is definitely the story line which is different and most importantly the whole treatment of the book is different as well.

No matter what, this series is always going to be my favourite and fortunately third book comes with an even interesting development and good pace. I m saying good pace not fast paced because at times the whole emotional outpours can halt the pace a bit. If you have been following this series and have liked it I m sure you will like this book as well which kind of have concluded and tied up all the loose ends in the best possible way it could.

Ever since I started with the first book, my loyalty kept leaning towards Cole, who is your apparent antagonist and the major source of trouble throughout the book. The author had even brought out a novella that was based on certain phase of Cole’s life which was named Neverfall and in my opinion is also the biggest disaster In the whole series. The second book, Everbound is where you actually fall for cole and the third book has made sure to retain that, at least for me. In my opinion, Cole is the best character in the entire series and much better than our heroine as well and other hero, Jack

The book’s plot makes it unique and interesting and in spite of your typical paranormal romance elements like undying love, altruism, batting eyelids and love triangles overshadowing the essence, I would still say this has been one heck of a series and the third book has managed to keep up the legacy for me by being in sync with the previous two books. Not high, not low but in perfect alliance with the prequels. The pace is good, twists are good and conclusion though not completely to my liking has sealed every character’s fate pretty much nicely.

show activity (+)
review 2014-09-04 13:22
Evertrue
Evertrue - Brodi Ashton

And another series finished :)

It was okay. I still love the cover of the first book.

The book was just mainly meh. Cole, who was the main part of the books I really liked, was pretty much leashed the entire book. And Jack, who never grew on me, was a rage/roid monster. And apparently the guy of her dreams.

I wasn't a big fan of Man of Steel and this book made the same big mistake that it did.

show activity (+)
review 2014-04-09 19:08
That's it ? Are you kidding me

Audiobook
I was disappointed.The build up of this world and these characters deserved a more complete ending. There was so there, so much history and it all dispersed into dust with barely a thought. The ending felt extremely rushed and not well thought out. At the end I hated the new left alive, hated them for their callowness and cold behavior.

review 2014-03-16 19:10
Review: Evertrue by Brodi Ashton
Evertrue - Brodi Ashton

Note: There will be spoilers for the other books in the series in this review, but I'll hide the spoilers for this book under a tag.

Well this book sucked the big one. The others in this series had some of the same issues, but they were really exacerbated in this book. Then take away the one thing that I found really interesting in the series (Cole) and it all just goes to shit.

Evertrue is the final book in the Everneath series, which to be honest is pretty mediocre to bad. The one thing that I really loved in this series was the authors ability to make a character that is seriously unforgivable in his asshatery. Like I adored the writing of Cole in the other books in the series. I wondered how she would try and redeem him, if she even tried to redeem him.

Instead this book took an overused trope and stripped the most interesting character form the story to leave a bland, overly convenient narrative that wasn't even worth the time I spent reading it.

Nikki and Jack are on a quest to destroy the Everneath so that Nikki can be human again and live her perfect live with a white picket fence, 2.5 children and a dog. The only problem is she needs Cole, who literally holds her heart, to stay alive.

God, I don't even like summarizing this. It's so dumb. Cole disappears when the current queen catches wind that he wants to overthrow her (something Nikki does not want at all) and NIkkis all dying now. Blah.

Seriously the first half of this book is pointless Nikki and Jack running around trying to discover things and only having them turn up in their lap. Like there are so many deus ex machina things that I am surprised my eyes didn't permanently roll into the back of my head.

Everything was too convenient. Things that needed more explanation were never explained, like a lot of the mythos and what the hell was happening. I really like when characters would disappear and no one would bat an eye. Urgh and it isn't even the worst part.

Cole. Cole. Cole. The ONE thing I really liked about this series. The ONE character written amazingly well in a story of cardboard sludge. COLE gets figuratively murdered by an overused easy way out trope... which I will rant about under the spoiler tag.

AMNESIA?! Really?! THAT is what you go with. You fucking try to redeem a character SO FAR from redeeming that it just turns him into nothing more than a yes man and sucks the life out of everything. There never really even was an explanation to WHY this IMMORTAL BEING got amnesia in the first place. Sure he was tortured, but URG!

He was so interesting, and then he turned to blah. Even less interesting than Jack which is saying something.

(spoiler show)

The ending is so predicable, but honestly that didn't have to be a bad thing. I read romance novels for God sake, which is like the pinnacle of predictability. It's the journey that makes it interesting. And this journey sucked. It was like the worst game of Clue ever played.

Also it was SO out of character for Cole, one he had his memory back, to commit freaking suicide. Just give the fuck up. Maybe because the whole Everneath was destroyed and there was nothing left? I don't know. NIkki was still left.

Also lets back up a bit and talk about Nikki. I understand they she wasn't pretty much treated like a pawn by Cole the last two books. Does that make it right to do the same to him? Her motivations were just as selfish as his and she ended up committing mass genocide in the process. I don't know how I feel about that though. I mean they were people who steal life from other people... but she killed them all without a second thought so she could get her picket fence.

And there was nothing about what happens after they turned to dust. I mean an epilogue of them in some sort of afterlife would have been nice to wrap up Cole. But nope. Nothing. He's just dead... like his characterization was in this novel anyway.

(spoiler show)

So yeah I didn't like this book. I powered through and I'll give it two stars for actually keeping me engaged enough to read it and not skim. It is creative. But it's creative in the most boring way possible.