logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: everything-is-possible-reviews
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-02-21 10:18
Book Review for Rise of the Phoenix by Jessie Cooke (Phoenix Skulls MC - Book 1)

Title: Rise of the Phoenix
Series: Phoenix Skulls MC - Book 1
Author: Jessie Cooke
Genre: MC Romance
  • File Size: 2088 KB
  • Print Length: 260 pages
  • Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
  • Publisher: Redline Publishing; 1 edition (February 13, 2019)
  • Publication Date: February 13, 2019
  • ASIN: B07NQ9B69P
  • Reviewed by Angels With Attitude Book Reviews
  • 5 stars from us
  • Arc provided for honest review

Jace Bell, a nomad for the Skulls, and Beck Golden, his new old lady, moved to Phoenix with high hopes.
Jace had been handpicked to run the new chapter of the Skulls by the presidents of both the Westside and Southside chapters.
Wolf Lee and Dax Marshall made sure the club had the land to build on and the support they needed to move forward.
It all felt almost surreal to Jace who had moved his entire life from the East Coast to the West in order to take the job.
His life had never been easy and suddenly he had everything he'd ever dreamed of...but only for a fleeting moment.
When befriending an older Native American couple introduces the club to their twenty-two year old son, Tommy, bizarre things begin to happen.
At first Jace and Beck believe it's all a ploy by Tommy to get them off land Tommy believes they don't belong on.
But then bodies begin to turn up and Jace has to dig deeper, unearthing, along with the bodies, a twisted tale of murder, lies and family dysfunction that runs much more than skin deep.
The future of the club is up in the air and nobody knows where the killer will strike next.
Will Jace and Beck cave underneath all the pressure, or can this odd couple and their misfit crew rise from the ashes and begin again?

Book 1 in the Phoenix Skulls MC Series.
This is a Standalone Romance Novel but characters from this story, will appear in future books in the series.
HEA and No cliffhanger.
Intended for Mature Readers.

* * *

The Phoenix Skulls MC Series is about members of the MC club, their friends and associates.
Each story, while focused around one main character, is not necessarily about a Phoenix Skulls club member, but the story is related to Skulls members and the club.

Jessie Cooke does it again! This current read took us on an awesome adventure.We really enjoyed it as the story was packed with tons of suspense,drama,wonderful character's and was filled full of surprises.

Beck and Jace make an awesome couple as they are hilarious together. OMG! I just love Beck and her feisty personality and straight forwardness and her smart mouth as she definitely brought us tons of laughs in this current story.We also saw a vulnerable side of this time around something we have never scene before with her which was quite a surprise. Jace is just a sweetheart we love his possessiveness,his hotness,his flirty personality

Jace and Beck are having nothing but trouble trying to get this club up and running and things are looking bleak but, one thing is for sure some of the newest club members are stirring things up a bit taking the focus off all the havoc going on all around them and their chaos is just as intense.

We love seeing some of the other club member's like Wolf and Bruf gracing the pages of this current story.We are also really loving that Cocky Irishman Finn. Jace and Beck are my two new favorite power couple in this ongoing MC series.

Overall the story was a page turner several drama's going on throughout it but, most of all we loved getting to know this new cast of characters.We loved also getting incite into the lives of this series new character's like Jessie,Streak,Ajei,Taylor,Rock,Tommy Boots,Finn they definitely have a eclectic bunch of personalities.As the story progressed it even got more suspenseful and we really loved that.The story was also packed with tons of heat as this author really knows how to write some really sexy erotic sex scenes.

"We loved it from beginning to end !"

Recommended read to all!

Be Sure to check out the rest of this on going series!

Southside Skulls Entire Series

Westside Skulls Entire Series

Phoenix Skulls – Rise of the Phoenix
Chapter One

“Yazhi, where have you been? We closed up half an hour ago. Why do you have blood splattered on your hands?” Ajei was looking at the spots of blood that dotted her son's big, brown hands. When she looked back up at his face, he was looking down at them, with a look as surprised as hers had been.

He frowned and after a minute he said, “I hit a rabbit. It darted out in front of me. I didn't realize the blood had splashed up so far.” He was still frowning when he said, “I'm not going with you today, anyway. I thought I was clear about that.”

“Yazhi...”

“Mom, please! Stop talking to me like I'm a child! And stop calling me ‘Little One!’ I've been taller than you since I was thirteen. I'm a grown man, Mother, look at me. I'm twenty-two years old. I've told you and Father both that I'm not going to greet these bikers like they're welcome here.” She had the feeling his indignation was an effort to hide something else, but she wasn't sure what. He'd disappeared most of the afternoon and she wondered where he'd gone.

“Tommy,” she said, softening her voice even more. “We've talked about this so many times, and the tribal council has even tried to be reasonable with you. That land has not belonged to us for decades...almost one hundred years. They bought the land from a developer who bought it from the government. We can at least feel better about them being there, knowing this developer isn't going to put up a strip mall or something that will draw in a big residential crowd.”

“Nobody should put up anything on it. Ama Sani is probably wandering the hills at night, weeping.”

She sighed and reached out to touch him. He took a step back and gave her a defiant look. “Tommy, you know I loved your great-grandmother, but by the time you were old enough to know her, she no longer lived in the real world.” Tommy’s great-grandmother, Ajei’s grandmother, had Alzheimer’s. She was diagnosed right after Tommy’s birth but lived another twenty years. Tommy loved her dearly and he’d grown up hanging on her every word.

“She lived in our world. She was the only one who remembered how it was, and how it should still be.”

“Tommy...”

He threw his hands up and left the room. His mother sat and looked after him, sadly. She was still sitting there, lost in her thoughts about her son, when her husband Tse walked in. He knew as soon as he saw her that something was wrong.

“What’s wrong, My Heart?” My Heart was what her name meant in English and Tse meant Rock. The couple had called each other by their English names since they met as young adults. They had been together now for thirty-five years, since Ajei was seventeen and Rock eighteen. Tommy was a late-in-life child. The couple had been together and on the road traveling, Rock on the old Indian bike he wouldn’t give up, and Ajei on her Harley, for thirteen years by that time. Rock had modified her bike to make it possible. Ajei had been the one unsure of raising him that way, on the road around the kind of people they spent their time with. They had been involved in some things back then that as an old woman, Ajei wasn’t exactly proud of either. But, you do what you need to in order to survive. Old age had at least taught her that much.

Ultimately back then, however, she had given into her fears and her family’s pressure to leave him behind and let them raise him. Tommy lived with Ajei’s aunt Lena and her two children, who were quite a bit older than him. But their culture truly believed that it takes a village, so ultimately he was raised by a gaggle of relatives: cousins, aunts, uncles, great-grandparents...all wonderful, warm people who loved him…and Ajei and Rock were home as often as they could be. Ajei tried hard to bond with her son, but sometimes Tommy’s dark eyes seemed to seethe with anger or resentment when he looked at his parents. Rock always told her that she worried too much. Ajei hoped that now, since they were all together, they could finally begin to heal old wounds. But now she had to worry about how Tommy had attached himself to the old stories and legends his demented great-grandmother had told him as a boy, and it was leading him toward trouble.

“I’m just worried about our son,” she said, “and this idea that he’s doing something just for our people by not welcoming our new neighbors.” The idea of having a motorcycle club just to the north of where Ajei and Rock ran their small grocery and hardware store had thrilled them both at first. Rock was a nomad for a club out of Tempe for over twenty years and Ajei had ridden alongside him all that time. When they first met as teenagers, Rock drove an old Indian motorcycle he had bought and fixed up himself. Over the years he’d upgraded many times but he was never willing to trade in the Indian for a Harley. Ajei’s first motorcycle was a used Harley that they bought together after they eloped and Rock taught her how to ride. Tommy didn’t come along until thirteen years later and by that time Rock and Ajei were doing long runs for the club, and it was the only life they knew.

That was where Ajei feared, now, they had begun to make mistakes with Tommy, and she had prayed five years earlier that coming home at last would mend what was broken between them all for so long. The club in Tempe, the Tarantulas, had just run its course after almost fifty years in business. Most of the members were either too old to ride, or just tired, and when it broke up, Ajei and Rock came home to Phoenix for the last time. Rock’s uncle owned the little store and he was past ready to retire. Rock and Ajei bought him out and although that went well, Ajei’s hopes for bonding with her son were dashed by the fact that Tommy chose to go to college in California. They were separated by miles for another four years while he completed his degree. The day he graduated with honors was one of the proudest of Ajei’s life and when he chose to live at the store rather than go back with his aunt, it gave her hope that he was finally ready to try to get to know his parents and they him. But so far, that wasn’t going as planned either. He was so obsessed with the land and the old tall tales her grandmother told him. Tommy, in Ajei’s opinion, was a bright, wonderful boy, but in her mind, not yet a man.

“Give him some time,” Rock said. He always did his best to be impartial while giving his wife as much hope as possible. “He’ll see that they don’t mean us, or the land, any harm soon enough and come around. You know telling him things has never worked. Our boy has always been one that had to see things for himself.”

Ajei smiled at her husband. At fifty-three years old, he was still the handsomest man she knew. She was so glad that their son took after him. Rock stood over six foot tall and had broad shoulders and muscles that came mostly from riding that Indian motorcycle he loved so much. He wore his black hair short now, and sometimes Ajei missed the days when it used to touch his shoulders the way Tommy’s did now. His skin was the color of coffee just lightened slightly with milk and his eyes were as dark as his hair, but they shone when he laughed or smiled, which he did often. The crow’s feet around his eyes spoke to that, but Ajei loved them, just as she loved every other part of her handsome husband. “I’m sure you’re right. I can’t help but worry. He reminded me again today that he was a grown man.”

Rock chuckled and said, “And when he’s forty, we’ll both believe him. Until then, it might be easier to pretend. Are you ready to go? Our neighbors are expecting us.”

Ajei nodded and began to gather up the things she was taking to welcome their new neighbors. She and Rock lived in the “real” world, but that didn’t mean they had completely forgotten where they came from and the things they had learned as children. Ajei had weaved a blanket for each of the three newcomers and she had baked homemade bread and gathered two baskets of vegetables from her garden out back. She handed the basket to Rock as they locked up the store and headed for their bikes. Rock covered the basket with a cloth and strapped it onto the back of his Indian before helping Ajei batten down the heavy blankets she’d made. When they had the gifts ready, they both tied their bandannas over their hair and started up their bikes. Ajei looked up toward the window in the small apartment above the store where Tommy lived now. She saw him looking down at them, smiled, and waved. Tommy dropped the curtain and she felt a pain in her heart. Her one wish before the Holy People took her from the earth was that she and her son would come to understand each other.

********

The young bikers were expecting them, and came out to greet them when they drove in. They were living in the only house that had already been standing on the property they bought. It was built years before, by hand, by another idealistic young Navajo man. He’d squatted on the then government-owned property for years, claiming that it was his by “birthright.” Eventually he was forced off the land at the end of a dozen guns the government had sent to evict him. He left kicking and screaming, chanting crazy things, and he was locked up in a psychiatric facility in the city. Ajei never heard anything else about him after that, but she prayed almost daily that her son would never take his misguided mission so far that it drove him mad.

Rock and Ajei stopped their bikes and she slipped the bandanna off her long, gray hair before sliding off the Harley. Rock told her she was still as beautiful as the day he met her, but some days she was slightly envious of the way he seemed to age better than her. He still didn’t have a touch of gray in his hair, and in hers there was barely a touch left of the dark brown it used to be. Her crow’s feet weren’t as “distinguished” as his, in her mind anyway, and her high cheekbones seemed to get lower every time she looked in the mirror and watched as gravity took possession of her skin. But she tried not to dwell too much on aging. If the truth be told, had she died that very moment, the only regrets she had would be the ones she had about her relationship with Tommy.

The couple came toward them. The man was big, taller than Rock and slightly broader in the arms and chest. His eyes were dark and his face scarred. Ajei noticed the thick scar just above his collar right away and she felt a chill run through her as she felt his suffering. Ajei didn’t fancy herself as a psychic or seer, or whatever people were calling it these days. She’d just always thought of herself as an empath; she deeply felt the pain of others sometimes.

The big man had his arm around a woman, whose light blue eyes were the crowning glory of her beautiful face. Wild blonde curls framed her delicate face, but those eyes, and the lean muscles in her arms and legs that rippled as she walked in her boots, told a story that her pretty face might otherwise hide. “I’m Rock, and this is My Heart,” Ajei’s husband said. “Welcome to Phoenix. We’re looking forward to having you as our new neighbors.” The big man shook Rock’s hand and said:

“Thank you. I’m Jace and this is Rebekah.”

“Beck,” the pretty woman said, offering her hand to Ajei.

“And you don’t have to call me My Heart,” Ajei said with a smile. “I’m Ajei and it’s a pleasure to meet you both.”

“Please, come inside,” Beck offered. Ajei and Rock gathered their gifts and followed Beck and Jace inside the little house. They’d only been there for a week, but it already had a warm, comfortable feel to it. Ajei told them so and Beck laughed and said, “I grew up in Phoenix. My mother and grandmother still live about twenty miles from here. They came and decorated the house before we even got here last week. Probably because they knew I’d just toss down some sleeping bags and eat takeout if it was up to me. Please, have a seat.”

The four of them sat and Rock presented them with the gifts they’d brought. Jace and Beck both seemed genuinely grateful, and Beck seemed particularly happy with the blankets. She set the third one aside and said, “Finn is out right now but when he gets back I’ll make sure he gets that.”

“Finn,” Ajei said. “That’s an interesting name.”

“He’s Irish,” Beck told her. “He’s only been in the US for about a year. He’s young and he has a lot to learn, but I think he’s a good kid, at heart.” Ajei could see in Beck’s eyes that she still had questions about the young Irishman. It wasn’t her business however, so she moved on.

“Our son is the same,” she said. “I wish he could have come with us today. He keeps himself busy with his projects. He just recently graduated from college and hasn’t found a permanent job yet, but he never stops doing his own research.”

“What kind of research does he do?” Beck asked.

“He’s got a degree in environmental services,” Rock answered. “He’s interested in anything to do with the land and the indigenous plants and animals. Sometimes I think he should have gone for a degree in Native American studies instead. He has a lot of interest in our culture and history.” Ajei smiled. Her husband explained their son’s “obsession” much more diplomatically than she could. She opened her mouth to ask Beck if they had any children but was interrupted by the sound of a man’s voice, calling out for Jace. It was coming from outside, around the back of the house. The four of them jumped up and Ajei saw Rebekah grab a gun off the top of the refrigerator as they ran outside. Jace stopped first and Beck nearly ran into him before she came to a dead stop as well. Rock stood on the other side of Jace, looking at what had stopped them all in their tracks. Ajei saw it, and the young, heavily tattooed man with the long hair standing next to it, and then she turned to look at her husband. Rock wasn’t looking at her. Maybe that was good. Maybe if he looked at her she wouldn’t be able to hide the fear in her eyes or the fact that her heart was slamming into her rib cage. She sucked in a shaky breath and looked back in the direction the rest of them were still staring in.

“What the fuck is that?” Beck said, appalled, with good reason.

No one said anything for a long time. Rock still wouldn’t look at his wife. They all stared at the big tan-and-white jackrabbit...or what was left of him. It was simply a carcass, without a head, and the four feet had been nailed to a post behind the house. Written in what looked like blood above it were the words, “Go Away!”

Ajei couldn’t see anything inside of her head at that moment other than the bloody fingers of her son. She was looking down at her own hands and she felt like she could see blood on them too. Rock finally glanced over at her and when she felt his eyes on her face, she looked up. She could see the worry pouring out of his dark eyes. She wanted to deny that her son did this. She couldn’t imagine Tommy killing any animal just for sport, much less mutilating it. But sadly, she had to admit if only to herself that since he’d come home from college, it seemed there were a lot of things about her son she didn’t know. She opened her mouth, ready to tell their new neighbors that she might know who did this and that she would take care of it, when Beck, clutching her gun tightly at her side and speaking through clenched teeth, said, “When I finish with the motherfucker who did this, that rabbit’s going to look like the lucky one.”

Jessie Cooke writes hot romance novels about tough guys, bad boys, bikers, fighters and lovers and the women of strong character who tame them.

review 2019-02-20 16:29
Emotional, second chance/reunion.
Holler and Howl (Mosh #1) - Susanna Rogers

This story was a surprise for me. It is the first I have read by Susanna Rogers. I loved both Lily and Nick as well as the secondary characters. This is a reunion/second chance story, and I enjoyed their journey to the realization they belong together no matter what obstacles there are. I loved when Nick took ownership of his feelings toward his father and how he felt more confident. Lily was a strong woman, doing everything she could to survive. Family was important, blood and otherwise, in this story. I highly recommend this story, and I look forward to the next book in the series.

I received a copy of this story through Candid Book Reviews, and this is my unsolicited review.

review 2019-02-19 07:13

• Print Length: 204 pages
  • Publication Date: February 19, 2019
  • ASIN: B07MK1TF4H
Reviewed by Angels With Attitude Book Reviews
Arc copy provided for an honest review
5 stars from us

It wasn’t meant to be this way—she shouldn’t have fallen for my brother and left me for him. But she did. And now I’m left to pick up the pieces of my shattered, broken heart. And to top it off, they want me to come to their wedding. Do they think I’m a pushover? Do they think of me as a joke? The old saying stands true, ‘why have enemies when you can have family.’

I understand it now, better than I ever have in my life.

There’s one unexpected surprise though, Storm. She blew in just like one and makes the pain diminish. She’s exactly as her name describes her—she is a storm. A beautiful and powerful one.

But not all things are meant to last. Like a storm that wreaks havoc, some things cause anguish, and in my life she may very well be one of them.

Let's start off by saying this is a brand new author for us and we really enjoyed our first read by them .The only thing we disliked is we wish that the author had written and Epilogue. I strongly dislike authors that end books just like this author did as we love seeing a glimpse into the future especially if the romance was a rocky road to get to a happily ever after.

We really loved the character's Storm and Echo (love their names) they were a lot of fun and both of them had vibrant personalities which we love.

Storm's character's was a hoot ! We found her to be strong,successful,smart,independent,caring funny,and one of those women who doesn't even know her own sex appeal."We loved her from the very beginning!"

Echo-We love his name! We found Echo to be a little bit broken,successful,sexual,funny,has trouble letting go of the past but, most of all we loved the person he was when he was with Storm as she always brought out his best qualities.

We love the other character's as well like Darby,Falcon,Creed all had different personalities some of them light and funny,others all serious like and others dark and dangerous.

The plot had a lot going on in it along with a complicated love triangle between two twin brothers and one crazy chick. lol The story came with tons if ups and downs but, what we loved most of all is that no matter what Echo's friends who he considered his brothers always had his back.The story definitely kept you engrossed in the drama and suspense the entire time and I will say I wanted to kick the crap out of Echo's entire family for being so blind more than once. lol

Overall the story was enjoyable and we loved getting to know all the character's and we can't wait to read Darby's,Falcon's and Creed's story.This was one fun read that was full of tons of chemistry and had really hot sexual interludes as well as making us laugh out loud time and time again.I really think we are really going to love this series.

We recommend the read to all !
We are looking forward to reading more of this author's works !

text 2019-02-19 05:23
Release & Giveaway Quick Dirty Luck by Heather Guimond

Title: Quick Dirty Luck
Series: A Love Between the Pages Novel
Author: Heather Guimond
Genre: Romantic Comedy
Release Date: February 19, 2019

Luck in love has never been this quick and dirty…

Romance author Alexis Lane knew exactly what she was doing when she set her good-girl image on fire. Becoming Reina Dare, a take-no prisoners vixen who dominates the erotic fiction genre, is exactly who she’s meant to be.

Kent Kingsley makes the most of his role as CEO to a lavish Las Vegas hotel and casino. He’s a confident, cocky playboy whose only romantic ambition is to send his women home with a smile.

Just as Alexis has the chance to catapult Reina Dare to the top of all the best seller lists, she gambles with her future when she meets Kent.

The stakes are never higher when their chemistry is off the charts hot—in and out of bed. Both have sworn off romantic relationships, but Kent quickly realizes just because there’s fire doesn’t mean they’ll get burned.

Now, he must convince Alexis to gamble again, even if the house always wins.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Heather Guimond is a Los Angeles native, a fact she's abnormally proud of. When she's not trying to write something that will make people laugh or rip their hearts out (or both!) she's either reading or doing her best to crack the whip on her three home-schooled teenagers. She loves all things witty and wise-cracking, as well most varieties of smart-assery. Other favorites include French roast coffee in copious amounts and the dirtiest Dirty Martinis she can find. More than anything, she hopes she writes books that stick with the reader long after the pages have been read.

HOSTED BY:

• Print Length: 301 pages
  • Publication Date: February 5, 2019
  • ASIN: B07N8WKVKM
  • Reviewed by Angels With Attitude Book Reviews
  • Arc copy provided for honest review
  • 5 stars

Enormous, muscular, commanding, and hotter than sin, Copper is the only man Shell has ever wanted. Even as a young teen, when it was impossible and taboo to capture the attention of a grown man, she longed for him. For years, Shell clung to the dream of turning eighteen and finally being noticed by the Hell’s Handlers’ rough and gruff president. But the universe had other plans, and she was forced to make a horrible choice. A choice that altered the course of her life forever, sealing her fate and ensuring the dream of being Copper’s ol’ lady would never materialize.
Sixteen years his junior. Daughter of his MC’s former president. Single mother whose deadbeat sperm donor doesn’t provide an ounce of support. Loved as a younger sister by every man in the club. The list of reasons goes on for Copper to stay away from Shell. Problem is, he’s been hot for her for years. Copper finally gets some relief when she moves out of Tennessee for a few years, but once she’s back, all those reasons to keep his distance grow weaker by the day.
Unable to fight against his own judgement any longer, Copper finally claims Shell for his own. But once again the universe steps in, revealing secrets with the power to destroy them both.
Shell will do anything for Copper, even tear out her own heart and confront the most agonizing parts of her past. But will she be too late to save her dream? Will she be too late to save Copper?

Let's start off by saying that Lilly Atlas is one of my top MC author's who is on my auto buy list and she is our go to author for really awesome MC reads. I loved each and every story I have read by her so far but, Copper just moved up to the top of my favorites list right along side Jigsaw.We loved it beginning to end and everything in between.

I was so looking forward to Copper's story and the author did not disappoint.Copper has been one of my favorite character's all along I just loved the big bruting man and I was waiting for him to get his head out of the sand a make the one women meant to be his all along and pursue his own happily ever after just like his brothers.

The aura that surrounds Copper definitely states "Danger Beware" and he also has no problem commanding a room and is well respected but, also he is a man who makes things happen and their is not a brother who wouldn't give their life to save his. I loved seeing a different side of Copper this time around a softer side a bit vulnerable , a man a bit lonely perhaps searching for love of a good women and a family and someone to be his Queen but, one thing stands in his way of getting all that and It is the women who he truly loves but, thinks he can never have.

Shell was one of my favorite character's as she was a loving and giving person, was independent,hard working, a wonderful mom,a great friend,determined and had a great sense of humor and a larger than life personality.

The story was full of a ton of drama ,had a great cast of character's and one mishap after another and a traitor in their mix.As the story unfolded we saw betrayals,jealousy,heart wrenching secrets coming to life that were best kept secret but, most of all we never saw the bombshell that was dropped coming our way!

"Omg ! I was reeling to the very end of the story and was still in shock once it was over!"

I loved the romance between Shell and Copper as she was perfect for him in every way .Shell loved him fiercely even from afar and made life changing sacrifices for him that impacted her life and that of her child but, most of all just showed us the lengths she was willing to go to protect what she always considered hers.

Shell broke my heart and brought tears to my eyes with all the burdens she carried for such a young women yet,she took it all in stride and soldiered on.

"She was an incredibly strong women!"
 " I was in awe of her!"

The chemistry between Shell and Copper was off the chart's.The sex scene's super hot and sexy as sin.Can you say Hot ! Hot Hot!

" I want a Copper of my own!"
"Holy Hotness!"

We loved the story and all the surprises it wrought.So looking forward to the next story in this series...

A recommended read to all it was such a heart wrenching read and we loved it!

This authors stories kept getting better and better!

This one goes into to the keeper pile to be read time and time again!

2010
If they caught her, there’d be hell to pay.
Michelle didn’t even want to imagine the level Copper’s anger would rise to if he discovered her trailing after him and his men in the dark woods behind the clubhouse well after midnight.
The fury would be epic.
Biblical.
She’d seen him toss out some rage before, but this would top it all.
She may be a fifteen-year-old kid, but she wasn’t an idiot. Sneaking out of her home, pedaling her bicycle across town to the clubhouse, and lurking in the shadows until the men emerged was not only dangerous, it was reckless, and probably pointless as well.
Dark as it was, she wouldn’t be able to see a damn thing when the guys arrived wherever they were headed.
Four sets of heavy booted feet tromped through the woods making no effort toward stealth, thankfully. Shell wasn’t exactly mouse-quiet herself, and the noise from the determined group drowned out her own leaf-crunching steps.
She shivered. January in the base of the Great Smoky Mountains was pretty freakin’ cold.
“Fuck, it’s dark out here. Wouldn’t be able to see my own damn dick. We almost done with this romantic stroll through the woods?” That was Maverick’s voice. Easy to distinguish because ninety percent of the things out of his mouth were laden with snark and sarcasm.
“We have a fucking flashlight, you big baby. Suck it up and keep walking.”
Zach.
Clenching her teeth in a fruitless effort to stem the chattering, Shell stole on after the men she considered family. Loved them like family as well. More than the majority of her flesh and blood relatives if she was being honest.
They had to be headed to The Box. Thoughts of what that meant sent a different kind of shiver racing down her spine. Growing up in the MC, she’d heard countless rumors about The Box. How it was a giant underground torture chamber filled with Handlers’ enemies from years back. How the walls were coated with blood and faded screams echoed through the night. The Honeys loved to gossip and guess precisely what went on down there, and each tale was more grandiose than the last. Half of what the club girls said couldn’t be believed. It’s not as though the men actually shared any club business with the women who were little more than whores.
The truth was probably a watered-down version of the legends, but, regardless, The Box existed, and probably wasn’t a place anyone wanted to find themselves.
After another five minutes of wordless trekking through the woods, and the men suddenly came to a dead stop.
Stephanie darted behind the nearest thick-trunked tree and held as still as possible, not even daring to breathe. Too bad her heart was pounding so loud someone might hear it a mile away.
Had the guys noticed her? Did they suspect they had a stowaway? Could the hear the rattling of her bones? A combination of fear and chill.
“Bring him out,” Copper said.
Shell would recognize that voice anywhere. That Irish brogue belonged to the six-foot-five, tatted biker who starred in every teenage fantasy she’d ever had. His name was secretly scrawled again and again with hearts and lipstick kisses in a diary hidden deep under her bed. If anyone ever found it, she’d die on the spot, but so far, her secret was safe.
“You sure, brother? Wouldn’t it be easier to get it done in The Box?” Rusty asked.
Shell frowned. Younger by ten years, Rusty was Copper’s brother and a huge jerk. There was no other word to describe him. Okay, there were a few others, but despite their extreme sailor-enviable mouths, the guys got on her case every time she swore. Sick of them always nagging about ladies not cussing, she avoided it. Kinda like she avoided Rusty at all costs.
“I want him out here. I want him to feel the air, see the stars, realize everything he’s never going to have the chance to experience again. He needs to know what I’m taking away from him. I want him to feel one last flicker of hope that we’ll let him go, right before I slit his fucking throat.”
Shell imagined Copper stroking his beard, deep in thought as he plotted someone’s demise.
“You got it,” Zach said. There was some rustling, then silence that seemed to drag on for hours but was probably only minutes. Everything appeared darker, longer, more intense when outside in the hours following midnight.
Finally, footsteps sounded again, followed by a grunt and a thud. Shell swallowed, took a breath and peeked around her tree. Someone had lit a lantern, illuminating a small clearing in the woods. A man knelt on the ground, arms bound behind his back with Copper, Maverick, Zach, and Rusty circled around him.
Back to her, she didn’t have a view of Copper’s face, but she sure had a clear line of sight to the man on the ground.
Reaper, they called him. Because of the number of men he’d sent to their graves. Those were rumors Shell believed. She’d seen him in action. Her insides quivered at the memories, and she sucked in a silent, trembling breath.
This was why she’d followed the guys into the woods when she should have been home snoozing away in preparation for school in the morning.
This was the man who’d killed her father four years ago.
Earlier that afternoon, she’d been at the clubhouse helping one of the ol’ ladies prepare dinner. Tasked with letting the men know their meal was ready, she’d wandered toward Copper’s office only to hear Reaper’s name being tossed around in conjunction with plans to head to The Box in the night.
Her mind and body had both frozen until the noises from Copper’s office alerted her to the men mobilizing. Then, she’d scurried back to the door of the kitchen and pretended to emerge just as they did, thus not hearing a thing.
And now, here she was, about to witness the execution of the man who’d murdered her father. Most might find it sick. Most might wake with nightmares after watching someone die, but Shell had already been down that road. She’d been with her father that fated night, four years ago, when the madman known as Reaper shot him in cold blood at a gas station.
As long as she lived, Shell would never forget the horror of that night. It was late on a Saturday, and her father was driving Shell and her mother home from a family barbecue at the clubhouse. From the back row of their truck, she’d watched her dad walk out of the quiet gas station market, coffee in hand. Seconds later, Reaper appeared from the shadows, shot her father from three feet away, then disappeared as fast as he’d materialized. She’d had as clear a view of his face that night as she did right then.
It all happened so fast, it was over before her brain processed what her eyes had seen. But once it did, her heart broke clear in two, and she screamed so loud she couldn’t speak for days.
Now, finally, more than four years later, justice would be served, MC style.
“You’ve been a hard man to find,” Copper said as he stepped closer to his captive.
Reaper snorted. Whoever had taken him prisoner roughed him up quite a bit. One black eye, a split cheek, ripped shirt, wheezy breathing. Not near enough punishment in Shell’s eyes.
“Been easy to slip under the radar with you idiots looking for me,” Reaper slurred like his tongue was swollen.
Copper chuckled. “That may be, but we got your ass now. Been waiting on this moment for a long time.” As he spoke, he drew a wicked looking blade from a sheath on his belt.
Shell’s eyes widened, and she soundlessly covered her mouth to muffle a gasp. Maybe she hadn’t been as prepared as she’d thought to watch Copper take a life.
Yet she couldn’t tear her gaze away.
The rest of the men stood with spread legs, folded arms, and flat expressions as they watched Copper close the distance to Reaper. Pressing the blade against the man’s throat, he said. “This is for my President, his ol’ lady, and Shell. Shell most of all, because an eleven-year-old girl should never have to live with the image of her father being gunned down.”
Reaper laughed making Shell flinch. The sound was so maniacal it could have been a movie villain’s cackle. And the man dared to do it while Copper held a deadly knife to his throat.
Insanity.
“There’s so much you don’t know Prez,” he said as though mocking Copper.
“Details don’t matter. You killed my president, now you die.”
Reaper might be a psychotic killer, but he was freaking brave. Not once did he cower, beg for his life, or break eye-contact with Copper. Just as Copper’s arm muscles flexed with the telltale sign of impending movement, Reaper said, “Too bad I didn’t notice the girl watching me that night. Might have taken her with me. She’da made a good plaything.”
The growl that came from Copper sent chills skittering across all Shell’s nerve endings. He didn’t bother speaking, just drew the blade across Reaper’s throat in one fluid motion.
Blood immediately flowed from the slice followed by a horrendous gurgling sound. This time, Shell couldn’t catch the shocked gasp before it left her mouth. The moment it was out, she held her breath and prayed no one heard. Copper didn’t so much as twitch. Zach watched the life drain from Reaper. Mav bounced his leg as though impatient to get the process over with.
But Rusty, Rusty met her gaze with cold, sadistic stare. Shell swallowed the disgusting taste of bile that had risen.
As he glared at her, Rusty’s mouth curled into a smile that could only be described as evil.
The hairs on Shell’s arms stood straight on end. Something about that smile set her on edge because she’d swear it had nothing to do with Reaper’s death and everything to do with her.
Now that she’d been busted, she could only wait and see what fate in the form of a sadistic biker had in store for her.

Lilly Atlas is a contemporary romance author, proud Navy wife, and mother of two spunky girls. By day she works as a physical therapist for a hospital in Virginia. Lilly is an avid romance reader, and expects her Kindle to beg for mercy every time she downloads a new eBook. Thankfully, it hasn’t happened yet, and she can often be found absorbed in a good book.