logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: fantasy
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-01-18 00:55
Was this just overhyped? Was I too stressed out and depressed to truly enjoy this?
Princeless Volume 1 Tp - Jeremy Whitley,M. Goodwin

Or perhaps it's a personality clash?   I feel like I should love this, and confession, I've tried reading this before.  I didn't go bananas for it then either, so it might indicate a clash of personalities.

Another one that's funny, that's well done, and that I couldn't quite find a reason to give a lower star rating to.   I laughed, I liked most of this, but... I was so stressed out and depressed that it took me longer than expected to read it: I kept starting and stopping.   I won't prioritize more of this, mostly because I didn't connect and because I connect this series to being depressed and stressed now...

Maybe when I'm further away from the things causing the stress, I'll borrow more from Comixology Unlimited.

review 2019-01-17 22:26
Down Among the Sticks and Bones, Wayward Children #2
Down Among the Sticks and Bones - Seanan McGuire

This was almost disappointingly more of the same, but I still enjoyed it. 'Down Among the Sticks and Bones' follows twins Jack and Jill and how they came to the Home for Wayward Children, and why they left it in the manner that they did. By necessity this was more tinged with horror and gives a few more hints into the myriad mechanics behind children finding their 'doors' to other-lands.

A nice addition were the illustrations. Their dream-like quality helped balance the horrors of The Moors. It was an interesting setting - very 'Ravenloft' - and I liked how it flat out stated that the mortality rate of The Moors was so high that it needed constant importation of children (and, presumably, others) to keep things stable. At some point evil should have a long sit-down and crunch some numbers just in case the whole magical door thing doesn't work out.

Wayward Children

Next: 'Beneath the Sugar Sky'

Previous: 'Every Heart a Doorway'

review 2019-01-17 19:57
Fawkes
Fawkes - Nadine Brandes

[I received a copy of this book through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.]

Gorgeous cover (I admit the cover + the title are what drew me to the book in the first place), and also an interesting take on historical events by showing them under the colours (see what I did there) of magic rather than religion. In this alternate early 17th-century world, people are able to bond with a specific colour, and exert control over items of this colour through the wearing of a mask. The conflict arises from how people view the use of colours: Keepers (the ‘Protestants’) believe that a person should only master one colour and not give in to the ‘White Light’ that governs them all, lest greed devours them and twists their powers to nefarious ends; while Igniters (the ‘Catholics’) believe that listening to the White Light, and controlling more than one colour, is the way to go. Both factions are in conflict not only because of these views, but because of a plague that turns people to stone, with each camp blaming the other for the advent of this mysterious illness.

Enters our protagonist and point of view character, Thomas Fawkes, son of the (now) infamous Guy Fawkes, who’s been struck by this very Stone Plague and can’t wait until he gets a mask of his own, learns to master a colour, and hopefully manages to heal himself, or at least make sure the plague will stay dormant in him and never spread further than his eye. Of course, things don’t go as planned, and as he finds himself reunited with his father, the latter offers him a place in a plot meant to blow up the King and Parliament (as in, literally blow up, re: Guy Fawkes, Bonfire Night, and all that).

So. Very, very interesting premise, and I really loved reading about the London that is the backdrop in this novel—not least because I actually go very often in the areas depicted here, and I enjoy retracing in my mind the characters’ steps in streets that I know well enough. Little winks are found here and there, too, such as Emma’s favourite bakery on Pudding Lane, or a stroll to the Globe. It may not seem much, but it always makes me smile.

The story was a slow development, more focused on the characters than on a quick unfolding of the plot. I don’t know if the latter is a strong or a weak point, because I feel it hinges on the reader’s knowledge of the actual Gunpowder Plot: if you know about it, then I think what matters more is not its outcome, but the journey to it, so to speak. If you don’t know it, though, the novel may in turn feel weak in that regard, by not covering it enough. I didn’t mind this slow development, since it allowed for room for the side plot with Emma and the Baron’s household, and I liked Emma well enough. I still can’t decide whether her secret felt genuine or somewhat contrived, but in the end, it didn’t matter so much, because she was a kickass person, with goals of her own, and actually more interesting than Thomas.

As a side note: yes, there is romance here. Fortunately, no gratuitous kiss and sex scenes that don’t bring anything to the story and only waste pages. In spite of the blurb that mentions how Thomas will have to choose between the plot and his love (= usually, a sure recipe for catastrophe in YA, with characters basically forgetting the meaning of things like “priorities” or “sense of responsibility”), it is more subtle than that. Thomas at least also starts considering other people being involved, such as, well, the three hundred Members of Parliament meant to go up in flames along with the King. Casualties, and all that…

Bonus points for White Light, who we don’t see much of, but was overall engaging and somewhat funny in a quirky way. I just liked its interventions, period.

Where I had more trouble with the story was Thomas himself, who was mostly whiny and obsessed with getting his mask. All the time. You’d get to wonder why his father trusted him and invited him to be part of the plot in the first place. Often enough, he came as self-centered and constantly wavering in his beliefs. While I can totally understand that the prospect of his plague suddenly spreading left him in a state of constant, nagging fear, and therefore prone to focus on this more than on other people’s interests, the way he hesitated between which way to pursue (stay faithful to the plot, or listen to the White Light, or shouldn’t he listen to his father, but then are his father’s beliefs really his own as well, etc.) was a bit tedious to go through. Good thing Emma was here to set his sight straights, and by this, I don’t mean showing him the light (OK, OK, I should stop with the puns now), but making him aware that her circumstances are more complicated than he thinks, in his own ‘privileged’ way, even though his being plagued does contribute to a common understanding of being immediately rejected because of what one looks like.

Also, let’s be honest, Guy wasn’t exactly Father of the Year either, and the story didn’t focus much on developing his ties with Thomas. They were united through the plot, but that was pretty much all, when this could’ve been a wonderful opportunity to reunite them differently, in deeper ways, too. There just wasn’t enough about him, about his personality, and in turn, this lessened the impact of Thomas’ decisions when it came to him.

Another issue for me was the magic system. I got the broad lines, and the reason for the Keepers/Igniters divide, but apart from that, we weren’t shown how exactly this magic works. It is, I’m sure, more subtle than simply voicing an order to a specific colour, and there seems to be a whole undercurrent of rules to it, that aren’t really explained. For instance, why can the masks only be carved by the biological father or mother of a person, and not by an adoptive parent (or even by anyone else)?

Mention in passing as well to language: sometimes, it veered into too modern territory (I mean 20/21st-century modern English specifically, not ‘but Shakespeare’s English was technically Modern English, too’ ;)). I think it was especially prevalent in Thomas’ discussions with White Light, and I found this jarring.

Conclusion: 3 stars, as I still liked the story overall, as well as the world depicted in it, despite the questions I still have about it. I was hoping for a stronger story, though.

review 2019-01-16 22:20
Every Heart a Doorway, Wayward Children #1 by Seanan McGuire
Every Heart a Doorway - Seanan McGuire

The Wayward Children series explores the what-ifs and uncomfortable questions behind portal fantasies where children are brought to a magical other-land, save a kingdom or perhaps conquer their fears, only to wind up home again once the adventure is over. Classics of the genre include 'Alice in Wonderland', 'The Chronicles of Narnia', and 'Coraline'. McGuire is not the first person to ask these questions, sanity has always been a dubious virtue in many of the other-lands. I loved the concept of these books, I read 'Beneath the Sugar Sky' some time before this, but I seem to have misplaced that review somewhere on the internet.

This was the first book in the series and I suppose I expected more groundwork than from what I'd inferred or had been told outright in the exposition of the third book. That's the reason for my rating being less than perfect. This is a delightful slice of fantasy, I think I just want more. I'm not sure any of the characters had a chance to grow beyond their initial descriptions, which are repeated as they appear again in the next volumes. The series is a wonderful idea nonetheless, and I appreciated the small time I could spend with it.

Wayward Children

Next: 'Down Among the Sticks and Bones'

review 2019-01-16 22:09
What Angels Fear / C.S. Harris
What Angels Fear - C.S. Harris

It's 1811, and the threat of revolution haunts the upper classes of King George III's England. Then a beautiful young woman is found raped and savagely murdered on the altar steps of an ancient church near Westminster Abbey. A dueling pistol discovered at the scene and the damning testimony of a witness both point to one man, Sebastian St. Cyr, Viscount Devlin, a brilliant young nobleman shattered by his experience in the Napoleonic Wars.

Now a fugitive running for his life, Sebastian calls upon his skill as an agent during the war to catch the killer and prove his own innocence. In the process, he accumulates a band of unlikely allies, including the enigmatic beauty Kat Boleyn, who broke Sebastian's heart years ago. In Sebastian's world of intrigue and espionage, nothing is as it seems, yet the truth may hold the key to the future of the British monarchy, as well as to Sebastian's own salvation...

Perhaps a 3.5 star book?

Certainly good, but maybe not exactly my cup of tea. Probably because of the time period, which so many people seem to adore. I, however, have a complicated relationship with the time of carriages, cloaks, dueling pistols, and severe class distinctions.

I also went into this expecting a paranormal angle of some sort, which was completely off base. Yes, our hero, Sebastian St. Cyr, has a couple of special abilities, but as the author explains at book’s end, this is from a documented genetic condition, not a paranormal cause.

If you enjoyed this book or this time period, I would recommend Deanna Raybourn’s Lady Julia or Veronica Speedwell series. Also try E.L. Tettensor’s Nicolas Lenoir duology or The Hanged Man by P.N. Elrod. These last two have distinct paranormal aspects, which made them preferable for my reading tastes.