logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: fantasy
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-07-17 23:31
Iron and Magic - Ilona Andrews

I did have a nit or two

When I finally got around to reading the Kate Daniels series, there were...quite a few books out. Actually, I think it was a little over a year ago - there's only been one book released since. At some point (likely the one where Hugh kidnapped Kate), I muttered that he needed to either be killed off or get laid. I didn't care which; just so he stopped being a thorn in Kate's side.

This works.

As has been hinted at with Kate's relationship with Julie, the binding might extend a life, but there are side effects...like being virtually a puppet if the binder so chooses. Hugh was purged and is very much aware of the absence of the binding...and increasingly feeling a conscience that Roland had subverted. In essence, he's been on nearly a year long bender because he can't deal with it. Several of his former army show up to explain to him that he needs to crawl out of the gutter and help them, because the head master of the undead is killing them off. Seems Roland was vexed to discover the Iron Dogs were loyal to Hugh; not Roland.

Elara...I have no idea what she is. The description of her near the end reminded me of a battle sylph. She appears human most of the time. There's a story we aren't privy to as to why she and a group of people left another group. It involves what she is *now*. The same head master of the undead is trying to gain control of her property for Roland. This sets up the two characters' lives converging.

They spend a lot of time bickering. And yet...it's a lot like grade school where you're attracted to someone but you don't wanna admit it so you make yourself a nuisance.

At the end, the head master of the undead managed to get his hands on Hugh, Roland appeared with a proposal to come home, Hugh refused, and Elara in whatever her other form is rescued him.

They're still fighting the attraction though, and it's been maybe a couple of months so no insta-love...and I'm now impatient for the last Kate Daniels to come out. Augh.

Nit - the first time they ran into what was later referred to as mrogs, she killed 14 and they killed the leaders. The 15th mrog followed and was killed inside the castle. Later, it's said that if you kill the leader, the mrogs just stand around unless you come near them with a weapon. They engage the mrogs several times.

review 2018-07-17 23:25
Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger (audiobook)
Etiquette & Espionage - Gail Carriger,Moira Quirk

Series: Finishing School #1

This was a kind of cute young-adult steampunk story about a tomboy in possibly Victorian times (there's talk of a telegraph device and gas lighting) who gets packed off to finishing school to try to polish off her rougher edges. As it turns out, however, the finishing school in question is only teaching the finer aspects of moving about in society in order to create expert intelligence agents, which is much more to Sophronia's liking. She can get behind fashion choices when they're used for camouflage, basically.

So the concept is kind of cute and silly but also somewhat entertaining. Sophronia reminds me a little of Flavia de Luce although she's a bit older. I think I'll see if my library has the next one in the series.

review 2018-07-17 21:49
One Sentence Review – The Sea Was A Fair Master – Calvin Demmer @CalvinDemmer
The Sea Was a Fair Master - Calvin Demmer

I love anything to do with water, so when I saw the title, The Sea Was A Fair Master, I had to see what these 23 short stories by Calvin Demmer were about. I look forward to some thrills and chills and invite you to join me.

The Sea Was a Fair Master

Goodreads

Amazon: US | UK | Canada | Australia | Germany | Italy | Spain | France | Japan | Brazil | Mexico | India | The Netherlands

MY REVIEW

Nowhere is safe in these 23 flash fiction pieces where the sea rules and it won’t let you forget it, but there is so much more – zombies, The Peeper is a fave, love that Krampus made an appearance, proves that clowns are creepy, your not so run of the mill murders – from Heaven to Hell and back again there is something for everyone in these quick yet chilling snippets of life in the world of horror that are written with humor, wit and a bit of the macabre and I found myself smiling at these stories that prove a few well written words can scare your pants off.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of The Sea Is A Fair Master by Calvin Demmer.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos  4 Stars

READ MORE HERE

MY CALVIN DEMMER REVIEWS

Hardened Hearts

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • animated smilies photo: animated animated.gif
  • If you like what you see, why don’t you follow me?
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • Thanks for visitingl!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/one-sentence-review-the-sea-was-a-fair-master-calvin-demmer-calvindemmer
review 2018-07-17 15:54
Ever After High: Ashlynn Ella's Story by Shannon Hale

Another cute story.
This one was an introduction to Cinderella's daughter, who also happens to be the next in line to be Cinderella. I'm not sure why history has to repeat itself there, but in the story, that is Ashlynn Ella's destiny.
It didn't really tell us anything else, except she is going away to school.
Short but sweet, I look forward to the next one.

Source: www.fredasvoice.com/2018/07/ever-after-high-ashlynn-ellas-story-by.html
review 2018-07-17 15:45
NYXIA UNLEASHED/Scott Reintgen
Nyxia Unleashed - Scott Reintgen

Getting to Eden brought Emmett and his crewmates one step closer to their promised fortune. But surviving Eden may be the biggest reward of all. Discover book two in the trilogy Marie Lu called, “a high-octance thriller.”
Emmett Atwater thought Babel’s game sounded easy. Get points. Get paid. Go home. But it didn’t take long for him to learn that Babel’s competition was full of broken promises, none darker or more damaging than the last one.
Now Emmett and the rest of the Genesis survivors must rally and forge their own path through a new world. Their mission from Babel is simple: extract nyxia, the most valuable material in the universe, and play nice with the indigenous Adamite population.
But Emmett and the others quickly realize they are caught between two powerful forces—Babel and the Adamites—with clashing desires. Will the Genesis team make it out alive before it’s too late?

UGH I'M SO UPSET WITH MYSELF FOR FINISHING THIS because it was SO EXCELLENT and I don't even know what to DO with the world now. (Maybe read my Backman? Okay, there are worse situations to be in.)

This was super delightfully pacey also. I have had zero free time to read because I've been hanging out with people and I think these people have become annoyed with me because they'll walk away for five seconds and come back and have me not talk to them because I'm suddenly absorbed in finding out if everyone's gonna die (LIFE LESSON: KEEP NYXIA IN YOUR SHOE. OKAY? Yes, I mean the book, what do you think I'm talking about?)

I do wish that I had reread the first before I had read this because I remembered adoring all the characters and... of course, I couldn't remember any of them. I enjoyed getting to know them all more, and characters like Isadora really brought some excitement, but I kind of want to take notes now for when I read book three. I didn't often forget that they were teenagers, which was nice--they're quirky and playful and resilient and I want to be friends with them all.

This didn't feel as much like ENDER'S GAME as a more sci-fi dystopian book--most of it takes place on the new planet and there's a lot of world building. I would have liked more, but what was there was very well thought out and intriguing. I want to learn more, and I loved all the culture and history built in.

Some plot points felt too well planned... but who'm I to criticise alien species for being smart?

The cliffhanger, while having significantly more on the line than the last, wasn't half as bad. Thank goodness. But I still want the final installment right now!

I'm reminded why I am going to shove my copy of NYXIA down everyone's throats because everyone needs to love this book.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thank you, Crown, this one was one of my most anticipated books of the year!