logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: fantasy
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-09-23 19:13
A disappointing ending to one of my favorite series...3.5 Out Of 5 STARS worth
The Lost Codex - Heather Lyons

~BOOK BLURB~

The Lost Codex

Heather Lyons

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Allies, once inseparable, splinter until they break apart.

An insidiousness carves its way through Wonderland, challenging the land’s very existence.

Battle lines will be drawn as pages, long languishing in darkness, are finally illuminated.

Swords will clash, blood will be spilled, and lives will be lost.

For what is written can still be erased.

~MY QUICKIE REVIEW~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wanted to love this…I have loved the first three books in The Collector's Society.  This has always been a uniquely told book series, but this one was just too out there in left field and left me feeling confused and sadly disappointed.  It felt like it dragged a lot of the time and was the longest 411 pages ever.  I've adored these characters and I have been fascinated with the premise, so I tried to let that reflect in my rating.  I guess, overall I just wanted this play out differently…and that ending…well, I guess ultimately that ending left an opening for this story to play out differently...

I actually finished the last half or so of this book with the Audio version, because I was being plagued by migraines and couldn't continue reading.  I did not care for the narration of this at all, though.  Heather Lyons, in my opinion, this series could have benefitted from a different narrator, in fact adding a male voice would have been worked much better for Finn's parts and for the print version, you really need to have someone proofread it.

๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏

Theme or Tone~ 4/5

Flow (Writing Style)~ 3.7/5

Backdrop (World Building)~ 4.3/5

Originality~ 4/5

Ending~ 4/5 Cliffhanger~ This is supposed to be the last one…but it could be continued…with the way it ended.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Book Cover~ It's fairly cool…

Series~ The Collector's Society #4

Setting~ The Institute, Antarctica, Wonderland

Source~ I own Kindle eBook

I used this for Relics and Curiosities Square in Halloween Bingo 2018

review 2018-09-23 16:06
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - J.K. Rowling,Mary GrandPré
My favorite so far!
I loved the story in this one. The intensity of a villain like Sirius Black on the loose, mixed with a dose of Lord Voldemort, and the excitement was page-turning! Plus I felt more adventure in this one with the tournament Harry had to participate in.
It was sad to see death in this one, but it is imminent after all so I shouldn't have been surprised. And yet I was.
This book is by far the biggest of the series too. It was easy to read, but still took some time to get through. I don't mind though, it was so worth it.
Get onto reading this series if you haven't already. Seriously.

Source: www.fredasvoice.com/2018/09/harry-potter-and-goblet-of-fire-40.html
review 2018-09-23 10:52
The Jungle Book and The Second Jungle Book, Rudyard Kipling
The Jungle Book - Rudyard Kipling

If you're looking for the cutesy tone of the film, or even its recent live-action re-make, look elsewhere, you won't find it here. You might be better off with Winnie-the-Pooh.

I had forgotten that several of the tales collected here are not about Mowgli, or the Jungle or even India in some cases and the Second Jungle Book focuses more on Mowgli than the first. Those non-Mowgli stories are not necessarily bad, though, and perhaps my favourite story from both books is The Undertakers, about a crocodile, crane and jackal. The North Polar story is perhaps second.

There's a detectable tone of arrogant superiority both of humans over animals and the English over Indians that is unsurprising from Kipling, who was very much of his era in this regard, but it wasn't strong enough to spoil the fun for me.

review 2018-09-23 08:21
Worst best luck and a tourist
The Color of Magic - Terry Pratchett

This is my first Pratchett, and I had so much fun.

It was all the elements: the zanny world, all the stabs at our world's and several sub-types of fantasies usual conventions, Rincewind's quality of Luck's plaything and Twoflower's perfect embodiment of the "too oblivious and exited to get it tourist". And the luggage. The luggage was awesome, and the way it kept coming back the gift that kept on giving.

It ends in a cliff-hanger, but I'm not too anxious over it, because I was on the ride for the humour more than closure.

And apparently, this is not the best to be had in the Discworld... Sold on the author.

review 2018-09-23 00:54
Halloween Bingo - 1st Square Filled
The Raven Boys - Maggie Stiefvater

I finally finished my first book for Halloween Bingo by re-reading The Raven Boys. While it can go many places I am counting it for the Raven Square.

The first time I read The Raven Boys, I listened to the audiobook, and was enchanted.  This time, while my delight  was somewhat lessened by already knowing the major reveals, Maggie Stiefvater's language was almost as magical in print as it was as an audiobook.

Reducing my rating from 5 stars to 4.5 because you can't be delighted by a book for the first time twice.