logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: fantasy
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-02-28 01:57
ARC review: SAVED BY DARKNESS by Katie Reus (4 out of 5 stars)
Saved by Darkness (Darkness Series) (Volume 6) - Katie Reus

I don’t know what it is about this author’s shifters and demons but I just cannot get enough of them. They are your typical possessive, growling, super sexy sort of supernaturals however the way they are depicted and the voice the author gives them makes all the difference.
Ian and Fiona are both dragon shifters who had to part ways a while ago because her family didn’t approve of their relationship. Cut 50 years later and they get to reunite only to have their time together shortened by evil forces beyond their control.

Like I said, Ian and Fiona are pretty much typical in the sense of that they are alpha by nature but when it came down to do what was right for everyone they were both wiling to relent power for the greater good. That’s another thing I liked about the story; the author was able to tell a believable story where there already was one true leader in the series however she managed to include other alpha characters without stripping power away from the Alpha of the whole pack.
Another favorite part of mine was that we spent more time with old characters and we finally got to meet the “sperm donor” of the half-demon siblings, which by the way are kind of my favorite characters of the whole pack.
All in all I thought it was a great story and I cannot wait to see who the next couple in the series will be. 4 stars.

*** I received this book from the author at no cost to me and I volunteered to read it; this is my honest opinion and given without any influence by the author or publisher.***

review 2017-02-28 01:21
The Wrath of the Great Guilds (Pillars of Reality #6)
The Wrath of the Great Guilds - Jack Campbell

The Wrath of the Great Guilds

review 2017-02-27 18:25
The Facefaker's Game - Chandler Birch

It feels a bit under-cooked, as if the author's mouth was bigger than his stomach.  Overly ambitious world building brought this one down.

review 2017-02-27 17:20
Skinwalker / Faith Hunter
Skinwalker - Faith Hunter
Jane Yellowrock is a supernatural skinwalker--one sharing her body with the soul of a mountain lion. When the rogue-vampire hunter is hired to hunt down a particularly nasty vamp, Jane is drawn into the steamy New Orleans vampire society where she learns the ins-and-outs of the "sane" vampire culture, more about her own Cherokee heritage, and we are drawn into a rousing, fast-paced thriller.

This was an entertaining way to spend Friday night (yeah, I know, exciting life right?). I’m still sitting on the fence about Jane Yellowrock, but there are some threads of the story that give me hope for the series.

Faith Hunter, the author, attended a conference here in Calgary a couple of years ago, which put Jane Yellowrock on my radar, but it’s taken me a while to get to her. Like Jane, Faith claims Cherokee heritage which is reflected in this first book. Jane has a certain charisma, although I wonder if she is quite as tough as she thinks she is!

One aspect I did like was Jane’s BFF, Molly the witch. This book saw frequent phone calls between the two women, plus an extra emotional/mental connection between Molly’s daughter and Jane. There is real potential for this series to actually pass the Bechdel test and I will read on in the series to see if it fulfills my hopes in this regard.

Jane’s clouded history, which she is just remembering in bits, is also interesting. Not just your “average” skinwalker, she has a complex relationship with her alter-ego, Beast. I’m assuming that this story line will also play out in future installments.

The vampires are both scary and attractive—power apparently has that effect! Jane, who advertises herself as a vampire-killer, has never spent much time in their society, for obvious reasons. So the reader gets to learn about vamps right along with Ms. Yellowrock, but they certainly have promise.

A propitious beginning to an urban fantasy series!
review 2017-02-27 16:00
Ama Historical Spiritual Fiction that is a MUST
A-Ma: Alchemy of Love - Nataša Pantović Nuit

Historical Fantasy, Historical Fiction, Historical Mystery set during the Age of Enlightenment. A novel about China, eastern philosophy, enlightenment, love, magic, Gods, Ama, Portuguese priests, the settlers of Macau (Macao) during the 16th and the 17th century.
Beautifully written wisdom of ages.
Alchemy of soul within the alchemy of love.
Through the eyes of 12 narrators: Ama-s friends, Gods, & spirits, Historian, Lover, Alchemist, Reuben, Father Benedict, etc.
A-Ma explores the human and social alchemy through the historical events in Macau: Dutch Attack, Chinese Calendar Reform, missioners work, Witch Hunt, through the eyes of Gods, Goddess, Amas father De-Nobille, a Portuguese Alchemist, her mother spirit, her lover.
We also follow a universal spiritual journey that is within each one of us: the path from suffering to love. Each character chooses their-own path to God and each path leads to Divine, whether it is called Christ or Buddha or Tao.
Spiritual not religious.
Must read at least once!