logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: favorites-m-m
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-08-17 18:30
CREATURE by Hunter Shea
Creature (Fiction Without Frontiers) - Hunter Shea

CREATURE! It. Knocked. My. Socks. Off.

Kate and Andrew have certainly been tested. Her health, (a horrible litany of problems due to auto-immune diseases and problems arising from the treatment of them), and his care of her, has tested the strength of their marriage at every turn. Now with Kate trying an experimental treatment, they are in for their biggest test ever. In an attempt to alleviate the tension and bring some relaxation to their lives, Andrew rents an isolated cabin in Maine for the summer. Instead of being the serene, quiet time they had both hoped for, their cabin becomes the target of something in the woods. Will they return from their vacation relaxed and refreshed? You'll have to read this to find out!

This is not the book I expected from Hunter Shea. What I expected was a creature-feature, (one of those words is right there in the title after all), and it sort of was. But what it mainly was, was the story of a strong marriage and how chronic disease attacks every component of your life-and this is a tale I recognize from my own life. I had a period of years with an un-diagnosed disease, which in the end WAS diagnosed as an auto-immune condition. I know what it is to be frustrated, to have my patience tested, to be told it's all in my head, and to be poked, prodded, and experimented with like a lab rat. So, when Mr. Shea wrote about Kate's inner thoughts I totally understood and I recognized the pure truth of them.

What Mr. Shea did with Kate's thoughts is another thing entirely. It was brutal, yet beautiful at the same time. The imagination and creativity here was astounding. It was also frightening and spellbinding. I read the last 40% of this book straight through, because that was what the story demanded of me. I loved these characters, each and every one of them, and I rooted so hard for them all-I simply could not leave them at the height of their struggle.

Now, I find myself almost speechless, (and if you know or follow me, you know that's rare!). I want you to understand that this is a powerful tale, about so much more than what it appears to be on the surface. I hope that if you've ever trusted a review based solely on a reviewer's word, that you choose this one to trust. You will not be disappointed.

CREATURE gets my highest recommendation!

Available everywhere September 6th, but you can pre-order here: CREATURE

*Thank you to Flame Tree Press via NetGalley for the e-ARC of this book in exchange for my honest feedback. This is it.*

review 2018-08-01 18:45
THE AUCTIONEER by Joan Samson, narrated by Matt Godfrey
The Auctioneer: Valancourt 20th Century Classics - Matt Godfrey,Valancourt Books,Joan Samson

Evil in a small town is one of my favorite horror tropes and books like this are the reason why!

Harlowe, New Hampshire is a small town surrounded by small farms. It's a tightly knit community, or at least the townsfolk believe it is, until an outsider comes to town and things begin to unravel.

Perly Dunsmore is an auctioneer. Taking over a recently available old mansion in town, (due to the death of the previous owner), Perly sets about "improving" Harlowe by holding auctions to benefit the police department. These auctions are funded by the generous donations of the townspeople. Until they're no longer able to do so, (eventually there's nothing left), in which case they are gently and quietly threatened to come up with more donations, or ELSE. Will Harlowe survive these auctions or will it rise up against Perly in protest? You'll have to read this to find out!

I've been thinking about what this novel was really about and I'm still not quite sure. The strongest feeling I have about it relates to that old poem: "First they came for the Socialists...", but that's not quite right. Then I was wondering if it was really about fascism-the auctions after all first funded a police department, to the point of having almost as many officers and deputies as there were citizens in the entire town. But that doesn't quite fit the bill either, especially in light of the finale. Then I finally gave up the analyzing and endeavored to enjoy this novel for the yummy, atmospheric piece of horror fiction that it was.

If this is the type of story that usually works for you, (quiet, small town horror a la Tryon's HARVEST HOME, or maybe Michael Rowe's ENTER, NIGHT), I highly recommend you give this book a shot! I listened to it on audio, narrated by Matt Godfrey, whose voicing of Ma Moore I will never forget.

Atmospheric, full of tension and palpable fear, THE AUCTIONEER still holds up as an excellent tale, even now, 40 years later. I give it my highest recommendation!

*I received this audiobook gratis from the narrator in exchange for my honest feedback. This is it! Further, I consider Matt Godfrey to be a friend, although we've never met in person. This has not affected the content of this review.*

review 2018-07-26 22:25
RATTUS NEW YORKUS by Hunter Shea
Rattus New Yorkus - Hunter Shea

How much more fun could this book could be? The answer is none! None more fun!

I had to hold myself back from finishing this novella in just one sitting. I wanted to try to savor it, but it was too hard.

A man and his soon to be ex-wife run an extermination company in Manhattan and are chosen to try out a new rat poison. After dispensing some healthy doses they thought their job was done, but it turns out the poison seems to have backfired, (isn't that always the way?) Now there are more rats than ever. Not only are there more, but they're more aggressive AND let's just say they're happier in their little rat bedrooms. Soon, they've taken over the sites where they were treated and many more sites as well. Can Manhattan escape this scourge of aggressive,  horny rats? You'll have to read this to find out!

RATTUS NEW YORKUS is flat out FUN! It doesn't get bogged down in philosophical questions or literary mumbo-jumbo. We're here for people killing rats and boy, do we get them!

I've been slow to come around to Hunter Shea and I'm not sure why, exactly. Maybe I was trying to fancy myself as more of a literary reader? Don't get me wrong, I love literary horror, cosmic horror and all kinds of stuff, but lately? Creature features have been bringing it as far as I'm concerned, and Hunter Shea is up there with the best writers of them, EVER. I love me some James Herbert and Guy N. Smith, but Hunter? This is pure unadulterated fun and if you want some for yourself? Pick up RATTUS NEW YORKUS when it comes out. You won't be disappointed!

This gets my highest recommendation! You can pre-order your copy here: https://www.amazon.com/Rattus-New-Yorkus-Hunter-Shea-ebook/dp/B078LPXDK1/chashorcor-20

*Thanks to Lyrical Underground and NetGalley for the e-ARC of this book in exchange for my honest feedback. This is it!*

review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-07-20 03:49
Book Review : The Prince's Dressmaker Jen wang
The Prince and the Dressmaker - Jen Wang
JULY 18-18

Paris, at the dawn of the modern age:

Prince Sebastian is looking for a bride―or rather, his parents are looking for one for him. Sebastian is too busy hiding his secret life from everyone. At night he puts on daring dresses and takes Paris by storm as the fabulous Lady Crystallia―the hottest fashion icon in the world capital of fashion!

Sebastian’s secret weapon (and best friend) is the brilliant dressmaker Frances―one of only two people who know the truth: sometimes this boy wears dresses. But Frances dreams of greatness, and being someone’s secret weapon means being a secret. Forever. How long can Frances defer her dreams to protect a friend? Jen Wang weaves an exuberantly romantic tale of identity, young love, art, and family. A fairy tale for any age, The Prince and the Dressmaker will steal your heart

Review : This was such an adorable graphic novel Frances gets hired to be a dressmaker she thought it was for a princess but it was actually a prince . Prince Sebastian loves wearing dresses so Frances makes them for him . Frances wants to be recognized for her fashion . Sebastian starts making friends as lady crystallia there is this famous fashion designer that Frances loves that Sebastian talks into looking to her designs but Frances can't do this anymore hide so she leaves Sebastian agrees to marry a princess but then gets drunk and is found out . Frances gets hired to design for an upcoming department store opening . Sebastian comes to Frances show and it was a hit .

review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-07-20 03:33
Book Review : Chasing Him Kennedy fox
Chasing him - Kennedy Fox

June 29- July 3

John Bishop isn’t your typical single dad.
Reserved, impatient, and utterly clueless.

Running the family’s bed and breakfast has many perks. Working long hours, picking up after the guests, and hearing couples going at it all night long aren’t any of them. Hooking up with girls who come to the ranch for horseback riding lessons? Best perk of them all.

That is until a baby shows up at his doorstep with a note claiming it’s his. Growing up on a ranch was anything but easy, but raising a newborn is proving to be the hardest task he’ll ever tackle. Leaving the bachelor life behind, his only priority is to hire a nanny who can teach him a thing or two about parenting — except he doesn’t anticipate her being gorgeous and quirky with an unhealthy football obsession.

Mila Carmichael has many talents — making balloon animals, creating origami art, and remaining in the friend zone. Often seen as one of the guys, she’s struck out more times than a rookie baseball player.

Seeking a new adventure, she flies to Texas to visit family and is offered a position she can’t refuse. Helping out a new dad should come easy to her, considering her past experience, but what she doesn’t anticipate is him being an attractive Southern temptation.

But that’s only the beginning.

While growing close to his family and falling madly in love with the baby girl who’s stealing their hearts, things are bound to get complicated. Everyone knows not to mix business with pleasure. That means no late movie nights, no stolen glances, and definitely no kissing behind closed doors. Too bad the universe has other plans — one that’ll threaten taking away the main thing that binds them together.

Review : John is my favorite of the brothers I just love him . John finds out he's a father the mother passed away they dated briefly so now he has an adorable daughter . Mila is visiting her grandparents and ends up with a job babysitting Johns daughter . They are attracted to each other but John won't do anything about it cause of his daughter but john and Mila get closer they get to care for each other . John finally asks Mila out and they go out on an amazing date and have sex and I just want these two to be so happy together . John gets some news Baily's parents are trying to fight custody of Johns daughter fucking rich pricks but John talks it out with them and Just agrees to vists with his daughter. Mila leaves for a job but she isn't happy and she calls Mrs. Bishop to start a plan . the auction is costume theme and John is dressed as super man and Mila shows up to to bid on him . Mila is planning on opening a school . At christmas John proposes to Mila and River is pregnant again I love this series and I can't wait to know what happens with Jackson.

Quotes:

In fact, if we didn’t have the same face and body build, I’d swear he was adopted.

I promise to give you the best life I can,”

Well I tried gettin’ rid of him, but he just keeps comin’ back…kind of like a stray dog,”

“Don’t have to worry about that. I’m not attracted to him at all,” she says, but the ghost of a smile plays on her lips. “Pretty sure I should be offended by that,

Kat: Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do. Actually, do everything I would do. John Bishop is S-E-X on legs! Mila: I’m deleting this whole thread. It could be used as evidence in your murder later

This is exactly why I don’t ever wear jewelry. John starts laughing hysterically, and I can only turn just enough to see his profile. “Are you seriously laughing at me right now?” He brings a hand up and smacks my ass. “Best view I’ve had in a long time.” I groan, trying to swat him away from me with my free hand. “You’re an asshole.” “I warned ya,” he gloats. “Warned me about what?” “Wearing that would get you in trouble, and now your ass and thong are hanging out of your pants as we drive by all the ranch hands on their lunch breaks.”

Yeah, but these Bishop boys have a way of making you feel like you’ve known them forever.”

Oh,” he says, turning around to face me. “John thinks you and I hooked up the night you went out not too long ago. I didn’t exactly deny it, so he might be less grumpy if he knew the truth.” “Oh my God! Jackson Bishop!” I shout, laughing at his pathetic expression. “You’re awful! No wonder he’s been avoiding me like the black plague.” “Well, keep walking around without a top on, and he’ll be on you like chicken pox.”

“That one was an impulse decision when we were eighteen. We really are identical, down to the tats.”

Don’t worry, kid. Uncle Jackson will get you the right gear for livin’ out here.” He winks, and the tone of his voice has Maize kicking her feet and smiling like crazy. It’s ridiculous how much she responds to him, but not at all surprising, considering he looks like John. “I’m her favorite,” Jackson taunts.

I snort, laughing. “That’s because she thinks you’re Daddy. You share the same face, so don’t go getting a big head about yourself.” “Too late,” Kiera chimes in. “It’s so big, he has to get custom-made hats to fit his rather large ego.”

“Pretty sure that violates the dress code,” I tease, squeezing as I rub my thumb over her taut nipple. “I already told you I wasn’t going to follow one. And considering the first time we met you were in a towel, I figured clothing was optional.”

“I still remember that towel around your waist when I walked in, holding on by the grace of God because it was nearly painted on your body. I thought for sure it was going to fall at any moment. Especially when you started yelling at me and wailing your arms around like I was a trespassing sorority girl

“Maize wanted to ask you a question.” I smirk, jerking my head down to her T-shirt. Mila squats down to her level and straightens her shirt so she can read it. “Will you marry my daddy?” she reads

“I’m still shocked Jackson’s the only one without a kid,” Dad blurts out. “Makes me wonder if all those stories he tells about women are actually true.”