logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: favorites-m-m
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-01-17 21:26
Ambition and Destiny
Valiant Ambition: George Washington, Benedict Arnold, and the Fate of the American Revolution - Nathaniel Philbrick

The war for Independence has long been glorified in our history books. However, Nathaniel Philbrick looks through the layers and brings us a untarnished view on the history of the war.

George Washington and Benedict Arnold were two men that became legend during the war. While the war raged on, the two men could not have been more different. Washington worried about the army as the whole and suffered from indecision. Arnold thought of himself and what he could gain from the war. Two men who had greatness before them, but who could not have been more different in their mindsets and goals.
Benedict Arnold became one of the greatest traitors in the history of the United States, and his defection could have demoralized the entire army. However, Washington had been turning the war around, and those who had once been detractors of the Commander in Chief were realizing that he was the only one who could effectively lead the army. Arnold wanted to enrich himself, and come out of the war as a hero, but his actions can speak to anything but. Instead of working toward the betterment of his country, he became a turncoat, and began to work with the enemy, with the urging of his second wife, Peggy.

This is one of the best books on the American Revolution that I have read. While Benedict Arnold and George Washington are the two main characters, there is so much more present. The highs and lows, the good and the bad are all played out on the pages, and no one is spared. From the Continental Congress, to the French allies - every leaf is overturned to give a comprehensive view and greater understanding of what lead to the defection of Benedict Arnold.
I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants a deeper understanding of the war, and the men who's names have become entwined in history.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-01-17 11:11
Book Review : Checkmate this is effortless Kennedy fox
Checkmate this is effortless - Kennedy Fox

Courtney Bishop is as sugary sweet as her famous blueberry muffins.
Southern belle at heart, Cali girl by choice.
She barged into my life and easily became my best friend.
All was great as roommates and just friends, but then I fell for the girl who could chop firewood, deliver baby calves, and bail hay without breaking a sweat.
She's the perfect mixture of sugar and spice, and I love her.

Being more than friends and trying to build our future isn't as easy as it sounds.
Moving forward and creating memories is all I want for us, but when the past continues to come back and haunt me, I'm not so sure she'll stay for the ride.

Loving her is easy, but losing her will break me. Burning passion combined with an undeniable chemistry constantly pushes and pulls us together. In the end, I'll prove we're worth the fight, even when the game is far from over.

Checkmate, sweetheart.

Review : Since finishing all the books in the series I can't pick a favorite couple or guy I love them all equally . This book was really good and I didn't know how much crazy Mia could get but she was off the rocker . I love Courtney and Drew as a couple they are freaking adorable they end up getting a dog together who was also another one of my favorite characters he's super adorable and after the crazy bitch sends a video . Courtney was freaking out she wanted to stay somewhere else that night but Drew says they should find a place together . And they go to to Texas for Courtney's cousin's baby shower and Drew ends up working with Courtney brothers on the farm and he was like half dead after . Courtney has to go on a trip for her job and she's going with her coworker and Drew goes to meet with Logan and he shows who had taken Courtney in Vegas and it was the coworker and he knows Mia and he fucking drugs . Drew is rushing to get to her and does and then they get into this car crash and Mia dies . Drew ends up proposing it was freaking cute loved this book.

Quote:
Drew Fisher, I knew you and all your quirks long before I fell in love with you.”

So...” I walk over to Drew and run my finger up his chest. He places a finger over my lips with a smirk. “Not in front of the fur kid.”

“I never knew a dog could be a cock-blocker.

He’s not going to care what you pick,” Drew tells me, and I gracefully disagree. “It can’t be something loud with explosions. What about this? Antique road Show.” “Sure, so when we get back he’ll be able to price all of our prized possessions.”

He shoves his hands in his pockets and chooses his words carefully. “Remind me to never get into a fist fight with any of your brothers. If they work this hard every day, well, they’d all be able to kick my ass.” “Why do you think every guy my age was scared off by them?

So, you’ll just have to keep Mr. Happy in your pants for now.” “Mr. Happy, do you hear that? We’re being rejected.”

The little brown one is Philip, the big black one is Adam, and the mix is Kristoff,” she answers with a smile. I continue petting them before it hits me. “Oh my God.” I laugh. “You named them after Disney Prince’s, didn’t you?” “Duh. I needed some romance in my life.”

You can’t jump up here every time you hear her scream, Buddy,” I tell him. “Especially when she’s screaming my name later tonight.” “Oh my God!” She blushes. “Don’t tell him that!”

“Sometimes in order to get the guy, you’ve got to create your own rules to win the game of love.

review 2018-01-17 06:35
Creeping Fear
Lockwood & Co.: The Creeping Shadow - Jonathan Stroud

I adore this series. I always look forward to the newest book. And I have to get these on audiobook because the narration is always excellent. I was not disappointed. At the end of "The Hollow Boy", Lucy leaves Lockwood and Co for what seems like good reasons at the time. She becomes an independent contractor ghost hunter and she's good at her job. But she's not happy, even with her glass jar skull for company. She misses the camaraderie of Lockwood and Co.: George, even Holly, and of course, Lockwood. But she left to keep them safe because her newer abilities to communicate with ghosts might cause her to make a mistake and get one of her friends hurt.

Lockwood shows up at her new digs and asks for her help with a case, and she agrees to help them out. It's one of their tougher cases, and Lucy finds her life in jeopardy shortly after, and realizing that she's more safe sticking with Lockwood and Co. until they fi

gure out who's trying to kill her. That's when their biggest case comes their way, a whole haunted village. They end up in a small town with serious ghost problems a conspiracy that will shake the foundations of the ghost hunting community.

I love how Stroud steadily builds on the foundation of the last book and the previous ones. The story just expands beautifully and he doesn't leave any plot elements dangling. While he turns a few things on their heads, it's organic as the reader realizes that things weren't as the characters thought or believed. The characters are very well developed and layered. While the main characters are all teens, they have a maturity that is realistic considering the world they live in and the dangers they face every day. Let's face it. The children are the ones on the frontline, confronting and dealing with the ghost Problem.

These books are delightfully eerie and downright chilling at times. Also, there's plenty of human menace. I mean, grownups trying to kill kids. How sick is that? While the paranormal elements are integral to the story, the heart of it is the characters. Everything is told from Lucy's point of view (it's 1st person), but the characters don't suffer from being seen through the typically narrow 1st person vantage point. Instead, they are richly described, with dialogue and action that shows you everything you need to know about them. Lucy also grows as a character as she faces significant challenges and comes to realizations about what she is and how to deal with the troubles she and her friends face. And that they are stronger together.

As with the last book, this has a nice conclusion but it also leaves the door open for the next book. Things are about to get even more intense, and I'm here for it.

Another book I'd love to see made into movies. And I just checked and it's going to be optioned for a tv series in the UK. This pleases me. Sadly, the next book is the last book. But all good things come to an end.

Highly recommend!

review 2018-01-16 22:59
Someone to Wed (A Westcott Novel) - Mary Balogh

An engaging story lovely written. I've come to love most of the author's books because of the care that it's placed on everything. The setting, the characters, the atmosphere, they're all perfectly done.
Also the fact that they mostly have a story besides _eventually _ disrobing... helps.
This story has all the things that I like:
_No insta love;
_No insta attraction;
_No pointless drama;

Instead there's friendship and companionship from the part of a big crazy family.
From my experience, I found that a little far fetched, lol, everyone getting along brilliantly; but it was nice to read...okay, a little less sweetness would have been preferred, :D but that's just me being emotionally stunted.

I loved the way the romance developed... calmly (most of the time). Alexander never once behaved like a neanderthal towards Wren, and that was vastly appreciated.
I am done with brutes and alpha jerks.

For me the only thing that kept this from being a perfect read was the last pages. I think that cutting a few pages and taking it easy on the sweetness might have helped.
But I really liked it and I do see myself re-reading it! ;)

review 2018-01-16 22:47
First re-read of the year
His at Night - Sherry Thomas

Still a four star read; and surprisingly enough, this time around I didn't hate Vere all that much! Guess I'm going to have to stop calling him 'the rat guy'. ;)