logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: favorites
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-04-15 09:11
Brontosaurus Shit: "On Bullshit" by Harry G. Frankfurt
On Bullshit - Harry G. Frankfurt

"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit. Everyone knows this. Each of us contributes his share."

In “On Bullshit” by Harry G. Frankfurt

"’a person who undertakes to bullshit his way through has much more freedom. His focus is panoramic rather than particular. He does not limit himself to inserting a certain falsehood at a specific point, and thus he is not constrained by the truths surrounding that point or intersecting it. He is prepared to take the context as well, so far as need requires. This freedom from the constraints to which the liar must submit does not necessarily mean, of course, that his task is easier than the task of the liar. But the mode of creativity upon which it relies is less analytical and less deliberate than that which is mobilized in lying. It is more expansive and independent with more spacious opportunities for improvisation, color, and imaginative play. This is less a matter of craft than of art. Hence the familiar notion of the 'bullshit artist'"

In “On Bullshit” by Harry G. Frankfurt

The current state-of-affairs (I won't name any more names) is not b... s... It is elephant shit! Or is it chicken shit? I know! It's Brontosaurus shit! Let's start by dropping the euphemisms. Not bullshit, not alternative facts, nor post-truth - but lies. Lies, lies, lies, lies. That's all we know how to do. The difference is important between a liar and a bullshitter. All politicians for instance, bend or interpret their own version of the truth but it is possible for us to take a view on their reasoning and motives. A bullshitter like Trump, Farage, Socrates (a former Portuguese Prime-Minister) literally couldn't care less and will say absolutely anything to anyone to get what they want and pivot 180 º in an instant.

If you want to Bullshit Your Way Into Any Situation, read on.

review 2018-04-13 22:47
Awful Darth Vader NNOOOOOOO!!!!
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #25 - Kyle Higgins,Daniele "Kota" di Nicuolo,Matt Herms

A Power Ranger comic is NEVER SUPPOSED TO MAKE YOU CRY!!!! Why?!?!

review 2018-04-11 00:40
Review: Stories of Your Life, by Ted Chiang
Stories of Your Life and Others - Ted Chiang
Each story in this book broke my heart in its own specific way, and for that reason alone I will love Ted Chiang forever. The fact that these stories are also all technical masterpieces and paragons of the genre is really just icing. I can be dazzled by masterly writing, but it's poignance that will earn a slot on my "favorites" shelf.

I like to think that I read science fiction because it expands my mind. Exposes me to cutting-edge theories and unconventional ideas. Shows me the universe and all its possibilities in fascinating new lights. But while all of that is true, it isn't enough. I read science fiction because it shows me what it means to be human: by deforming and transforming the worlds and bodies and ideologies we inhabit today.

Ted Chiang is better than any other writer I’ve read at plumbing these dual possibilities of the genre, especially in the short-story format. In amazingly few pages, he crams more character development, intricate plotting, and whiz-bang Big Ideas than most authors manage to fit into an entire novel. And yet his stories never feel oversaturated. He has an incredible talent for making his point with devastating precision; every detail he reveals is illuminating and necessary. And so human.

Take Division by Zero, which is about a math professor, Renee, whose life loses all meaning when she stumbles upon a proof that nullifies essentially all of mathematical theory. As she sinks into a deep and deadly depression, her husband Carl discovers the foundations of his reality crumbling too. The story itself takes on the form of the ominous proof Renee writes, showing that one number is equivalent to all other numbers. Renee's and Carl's experiences are equivalent too, although their respective disillusionments can only break them further and further apart from each other.
”It’s a feeling I can’t convey to you. It was something that I believed deeply, implicitly, and it’s not true, and I’m the one who demonstrated it.”
It's a story for everyone who has ever lost faith in something they had once built their world upon, whether that be a religion, a career path, a self-concept, or a relationship.

Just eighteen pages long, and it devastated me.

Or take Story of Your Life, the title track of this book and the inspiration for the movie Arrival. Its involuted structure makes it difficult to summarize: past and future tucked up together, bleeding into each other, leaving all kinds of disoriented verb tenses in their wake. Learning an alien language, it turns out, can do that to your worldview. But it essentially asks the question: If you remembered your own inescapable future, with all of its heartbreak and all of its beauty, would there still be purpose in living it?
"Eventually, many years from now, I’ll be without your father, and without you… So I pay close attention, and note every detail.”
I read this one twice, and both times it left me a sore and sputtering wreck, broken up on the shoals of my terror of the future. But it is beautiful, and true, and it's the story I needed to read at this point in my life.

Or take Hell is the Absence of God, whose premise is that the Bible is literally, tangibly, and horrifyingly true. Angelic visitations are common "natural disasters", and tend to leave people dead, damaged, and/or devout. After Neil Fisk's wife is killed during an appearance of the angel Nathanael, Neil realizes that despite his rage and pain he must find a way to love God. Witnesses had seen Sarah's soul ascend to Heaven, so he knows that truly loving God is the only chance he has of getting to see her again.
"Sarah had been the greatest blessing of his life, and God had taken her away. Now he was expected to love Him for it? For Neil, it was like having a kidnapper demand love as ransom for his wife's return. Obedience he might have managed, but sincere, heartfelt love? That was a ransom he couldn't pay."
The premise of this one is sure to be questionable or offensive to many readers, but again, it was the kind of story I needed to read right now. And, like so many others in this book, it takes a basic idea (what would the world be like if Babylonian cosmology/18th-Century preformationism/Old-Testament theology were scientific fact?) and considers it in detailed depth and breadth, while still telling a compassionate, profound story at its core.

Or take Seventy-Two Letters, which isn't as emotional as the three I've just mentioned, but still left me completely gobsmacked by the end of it. This one is pure science fiction at its finest, weird and wonderful and unforgettable. It takes place in a world where the 18th-Century idea that sperm cells contain a tiny homunculus, while a mother's womb provides the "spark of life" necessary for human development, is scientifically accurate. As well, the mythical golems of Jewish folklore actually exist, and most automated tasks are completed using automatons programmed with 72-letter Hebrew phrases. When scientists discover that human spermatozoa contain only a few more generations of human life, they must rush to find a new way of propagating the species.

This story is completely bizarre, and I was riveted. I had never read anything quite like it, couldn't predict any of the directions it took, and each new idea it presented hit me like a revelation. It's just beautifully done.

This review is getting long, so I won't keep singling out each story. But they are all incredible. I have never agreed more with a back-cover blurb than Cory Doctorow's "Each of those stories is a goddamned jewel."

Yes. Multifaceted and shining. I can't stop thinking about them.

review 2018-04-04 00:33
Sebastian St. Cyr Mystery #12
Where the Dead Lie (Sebastian St. Cyr Mystery) - C.S. Harris

I just love this series! C.S. Harris never disappoints! In this book, Sebastian has his hands full searching for a sadistic psycho that enjoys raping, torturing and murdering young boys and girls for pure pleasure. It was pretty riveting and by the end, I was just as anxious to find the murdering sickos just as much as Sebastian was.

review 2018-03-30 09:47
Qualityland - die Zukunft die Du Dir nicht wünschen willst - die Du aber nicht verhindern kannst
QualityLand (Dunkle Edition) - HörbucHHamburg HHV GmbH,Marc-Uwe Kling,Marc-Uwe Kling

Wenn ein berühmter Autor mit einer sehr erfolgreichen Figur sich aus seiner Komfortzone herausbegibt und etwas völlig neues kreiert, dann ist das erstens schon mal sehr innovativ, kann aber entweder total in die Hose gehen, oder sehr gut werden. In diesem Fall ist Qualityland sowas von der Turbo, der ultimative affengeile, neuartige, politische dystopische Science Fiction Roman, der so gut ist, dass ich das Känguru, das ich geliebt habe, fast schon vergessen habe. Für mich war es sogar der beste Roman (respektive das Hörbuch, denn Marc-Uwe Kling perfomen zu hören, sollte man sich nicht entgehen lassen) von allen Büchern seit 5 Jahren.

Es geht um Qualityland, ein fiktionales Land in einer relativ nahen Zukunft. Marc–Uwe Kling extrapoliert die technologischen, gesellschaftlichen, politischen, wirtschaftlichen… Entwicklungen der Gegenwart im Zeitalter der Digitalisierung, Automatisierung, Vernetzung und des gläsernen Menschen, verzerrt sie und wendet sie auf die Spitze getrieben auf die nahe Zukunft an.

Die industrielle Fast-Food Ernährung wird mit FESATZU’s 1/3 Fett, 1/3 Salz, 1/3 Zucker abgewickelt. Es gibt eine große Plattform genannt THE SHOP, die aus den zahlreichen Vergangenheits-Profildaten zukünftige Bedürfnisse automatisiert berechnet extrapoliert und die Produkte unbestellt mit Drohnen zustellt. Die Medizin wird mit Nanorobots und Sensoren abgewickelt. Die Pharmafirma DASGUTEZEUGS misst mit Sensoren die medizinischen Bedürfnisse, stellt in Losgröße 1 die ultimative Tablette unaufgefordert her und lässt sie per Drohne liefern. Dass massig private DNA Daten von der Firma gesetzwidrig abgegriffen werden, tut dem Höhenflug des Aktienkurses keinen Abbruch.
Das Geldsystem ist eine Weiterentwicklung von Bitcoin und Facebook heißt jetzt Everybody, weil Everybody in Social Media sein muss. Keiner (Ok fast keiner) kann der Datensammelwut und der Digitalisierung entkommen, die Leute heißen in Familiennamen nach den Berufen ihrer Eltern, damit soziale Schichten fast in Beton zementiert sind. Das sind nur ein paar der wundervollen Ideen, die im Stakkato auf den Leser oder Hörer einprasseln. Ich habe mich nicht einmal eine Zehntelsekunde während des Werkes gelangweilt.

Die Hauptfigur, Peter Arbeitsloser ist wie sein Familienname schon sagt ein richtiger Verlierer in diesem System, der eine Schrottpresse betreibt. Sein virtuelles Profil weist ein ganz niedriges Wichtigkeitslevel auf, was sowohl die Freundlichkeit der Transportsysteme, die Partnerwahl einfach seine gesamten persönlichen, ökonomischen Möglichkeiten der Interaktion beschränkt.

Ein wichtiges Thema im ganzen Werk ist auch noch der Wahlkampf in dem Heinz Koch (ja sein Vater war Koch) gegen den Androiden John-of-us der Fortschrittspartei antritt. Was dann folgt, ist ein Lehrstück an politischer Satire, denn der Android John-of-us argumentiert als Rechner basierend auf Logik, Wahrheit und Spieltheorie zum Wohle aller Menschen – die Partei von Heinz Koch ist die typische Politikerkaste korrupt bis in die Knochen. Der Wahlkampf in Qualityland gleicht in vielem dem von Österreich:

„Seit wann haben die Nutzlosen schon jemals eine Regierung gewählt, die Ihre Interessen vertritt? Scheiß auf Argumente, es zählen nur Emotionen. Können wir diese sinnlose Diskussion über Inhalte jetzt endlich beenden?"

Obwohl der Android  natürlich gegen das manipulierte Volk und gegen die korrupten populistischen Demagogen der Gegenpartei eine denkbar schlechte Ausgangsposition hat, weiß er seine Vorzüge gut einzusetzen und gibt auch ein bisschen Hoffnung für die Zukunft. Wie Ihr seht, bin ich voll für den Androiden und nicht für die Menschen in diesem Wahlkampf aber John-of-us steht einfach für eine ehrliche, sachlich basierte Politik.

Manche haben sich über Marc-Uwe Klings Hang zu Kalauern beschwert, aber dieser Humor ist für mich weitaus mehr als schenkelklopfender Witz, denn wenn man die zugrundeliegenden Theorien aus Wirtschaftsinformatik, Politik, Soziologie, VWL und Philosophie kennt und unterrichtet, ist es gleich zehn Mal so witzig. Marc- Uwe Kling hat sie fast ALLE  genial identifiziert, richtig zitiert, abmontiert, dann durch den Qualityland-Wolf gedreht und dystopisch korrekt verwurstet: z.B. Adorno, Asimovs Gesetze, der Turing Test, der Gottesbegriff als allwissende Maschine = Omnius, ist Gott wohlwollend, feindselig oder gleichgültig, das Peter Pprinzip wird zum Peter Problem und allg. postuliert…. um nur einige zu nennen.

Da sind wir schon bei der prinzipiellen Aussage:  Das alte Peter Prinzip aus der Betriebswirtschaft– wird zum Peter Problem transferiert, gegen das der Protagonist kämpft. Die virtuellen Profile und die darauf angewendeten Onthologien (hier eigentlich fälschlich Algorithmus genannt - zwecks des perfekten Reimes "das ist der Algorithmus, wo jeder mitmuss") sind falsch und kreieren eine self fullfilling prophecy, also eine sich selbst erfüllende Prophezeiung bzw. ein bestimmtes fremdbestimmte Leben ohne Wahlmöglichkeit und eigenem Willen. Mein erster Chef auf der Uni Linz hat sich übrigens schon 1981 mit dem Thema, dass bei Profilinformationen falsche Schlüsse gezogen werden können, in seiner Habilitation beschäftigt. Dort heißt das Problem aber nicht so einfach Peter Problem sondern Kontextverluste in betrieblichen Informationssystemen

So kämpft der Verlierer Peter Arbeitsloser wie Don Quixote gegen das System - aber wahrscheinlich sogar ein bisschen erfolgreicher - während im Land der gnadenlose Wahlkampf tobt, der die übelsten Intrigen und absurdesten Dinge an die Oberfläche der Wahrnehmung der Gesellschaft und des Lesers spült. Unterstützt wird er dabei von KIKI, einer Hackerin, die auch gleich für die Liebesgeschichte in der Story steht und von einer Gruppe mehrerer ausgemusterter elektronischer Geräte, die Peter nicht übers Herz brachte, zu verschrotten. Herrlich subversiv, anarchisch und klug konzipiert.

So mehr möchte ich nun nicht mehr verraten bis auf die Werbeeinschaltungen in Qualityland, die sind köstlich und fast ein eigenes Kunstwerk (wahrscheinlich wird da irgendwann wieder ein Spiel daraus gemacht).

Einen letzten Hinweis habe ich noch – unbedingt das Hörbuch nehmen. Marc Uwe liest nicht, als Kleinkünster performt er das Stück, und das solltet Ihr Euch nicht entgehen lassen.

Fazit: Keine Sekunde gelangweilt, viele Szenen mehrmals gehört – ES IST GRANDIOS - 10 von 5 Sternen!!!!