logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: fiction
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
review 2020-11-24 05:57
When the Dogs Don't Bark by Angela Gallop
When the Dogs Don't Bark: A Forensic Scientist’s Search for the Truth - Angela Gallop This book is more of a memoir than a technical discussion of forensic science. Angela Gallop discusses her 40 year career as a forensic scientist, providing a basic outline of several of her most memorable cases, along with the history and development of forensic sciences within the UK, as well as the importance of forensics in criminal justice. Interesting and informative, but a bit bland.
review 2020-11-23 14:49
The Magic Misfits by Neil Patrick Harris
The Magic Misfits - Lissy Marlin,Neil Patrick Harris,Author
Love Neil Patrick Harris since his Doogie Houser days, and I know a lot of you are with me. I saw this debut book of his on sale and grabbed a copy. I was excited to see what he had in store for the literary world.
He didn't disappoint either!
What a fun adventure, reading about Carter and the friends he acquires. Plus there is a few magic tricks shared in the book that you can try and practice. There's a mathematical one that I will be doing to my peers often. It was just so much fun!
I look forward to the next book in the series.

Source: www.fredasvoice.com/2020/11/the-magic-misfits-by-neil-patrick.html
review 2020-11-14 20:51
Bell Hammers by Lance Schaubert
This book made me laugh at times.
I wasn't expecting that at all. To be honest, I don't know what I was expecting.
I felt like I just witnessed someone's entire life in the span of a few days. Remmy was not like any other guy though. He was a prankster, but in the end, was he something else?! You have to read it to get that answer.
I really enjoyed it more than I thought I would when I read the synopsis. I only entered the giveaway for this book because a couple of  bloggers I follow praised it. Man, I am so thankful for bloggers and their great opinions. A book I would have otherwise passed on became a book I am happy I read.
If you like slightly comical literary stories, read it.

Source: www.fredasvoice.com/2020/11/bell-hammers-by-lance-schaubert-57.html
review 2020-11-14 09:15
Cleverly conceived and well-considered dystopian fiction

The government of England is one of appeasement. Furigans, misfits who thrive on violence and anarchy are deemed not responsible for their criminal behavior because of being disadvantage and marginalize. Indeed, to condemn them is to commit an act of Nastiness, be harried by Compassion Stewards, and come under the scrutiny from the Commission for Fairness. All parties adhere to this Political Consensus. Debate is empty and meaningless.

Roger Tyson, a business magnate, is a solitary voice calling for a return to truth, justice, freedom of speech, and an end to mandated Niceness. He’s being vilified for it until his dire predictions of economic collapse begin to manifest.

But are Roger’s tough-love politics and bare-knuckle tactics enough to save England from the shadowy Muhonin who are preparing to violently overthrow the decaying, corrupt government and reinvent this Green and Pleasant Land by imposing their own violent and radical ideology?

Steve Shahbazian’s novel, Green and Pleasant Land, is cleverly conceived and well-considered dystopian fiction similar to George Orwell’s classic in that the government seeks to gain consensus not through violence but by influencing the cultural milieus of the masses. If you disagree with the policies of the government of the day they don’t make you disappear, they use their unwitting operatives to shame you into silence.

However, the strength of this novel is also its weakness. Replete with political machinations and characters launching into philosophical diatribes it is dense, plodding and much of the dialogue is didactic. Real action, the exciting kind that builds tension is scarce, and similar scenarios of debate, discussion, and ultimately indecision, are presented again and again with little or no consequences.

Well-developed characterization is also lacking with the host of characters only defined by their political affiliations.

The author has also chosen to use Japanese greetings and political terminology throughout the story. Perhaps it is a metaphor to indicate how far the birthplace of the Parliamentary system has drifted from its roots. If so, it’s an unnecessary impediment.

#amreading #readingcommunity #booklovers

show activity (+)
review 2020-11-09 11:10
The Midnight Library by Matt Haig
The Midnight Library - Matt Haig

Beautifully written and a lovely, innovative concept.