logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: fiction
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-07-24 20:00
Broken Homes / Ben Aaronovitch
Broken Homes - Ben Aaronovitch

This installment meanders a bit, as it juggles multiple story lines, plus lessons in architecture. Thomas "Oh was that your Tiger tank?" Nightingale gets to show why he's the teacher and Peter & Lesley are the apprentices. I particularly enjoyed Toby's increased role in this book, being Peter's magic detector (the yap-o-metre) and camouflage (a man with a dog is virtually invisible, apparently).

Peter has matured since the first book. Lesley gives him a hard time, needling him about why he and Beverly Brook aren't sleeping together yet. In the first couple of books, Peter would have jumped in first and thought things through later, but he has learned to think with his big head and is suitably cautious. After all, if your relationship with a goddess goes pear-shaped, you know who is going to suffer most (and it won't be Beverly).

I'm still enjoying the effortless multicultural and inclusive cast of characters, however don't imagine that I have no criticism! I'm not wild about the Faceless Man as an antagonist (although I did enjoy Peter's reference to his lab as the Strip Club of Dr. Moreau). But, having read to the end of this volume, how can I doubt that I will read the next to see the next event in the drama?

review 2017-07-24 18:45
Zomcats! by Jack Strange
Zomcats! - Amanda Horan,Graeme Parker,Jack Strange

Zomcats! is the follow up to Celebrity Chef Zombie Apocalypse, (click to see my review),  and one I was happy to discover. The ginger feline, Henderson, was originally brought (back) to life in that book, and he quietly stole the show! This time around, he is the rightful star of the novel. Well, he and the American president which we'll get to in a moment.

In this novel, we follow Henderson's travels as the American president visits the U.K., seeking help with the zombie problem. Since the Prime Minister successfully dealt with the celebrity chef zombies in Britain, President Adolf Doughnut wants to see if he can do the same to the zombies in the U.S. Since the two are in an infantile pissing contest, the Prime Minister makes the President come to the U.K. to get the requested aid.

President Doughnut is the amalgamation of a few different people and is totally hilarious. Just like in the first book, there are plenty of political observations and commentary here. Even though I thought the first one was a bit sharper, the sarcasm and wit are both evident here in Zomcats! as well.

If you are in the mood for a creature feature that contains razor sharp wit as well as bloody, gory and insanely funny zomcat kills, then this is the book for you!

You can get your copy here: Zomcats!

*I was gifted an e-copy of Zomcats! in exchange for my honest review. This is it!*

review 2017-07-24 18:00
[REVIEW] Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls (and Everything in Between) by Lauren Graham
Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls (and Everything in Between) - Lauren Graham

I did not expect to love this book as much as I did then again, who am I kidding? I love Gilmore Girls (even if I'm still upset about that revival).

Ms. Graham is just so charming! I stopped doing things during the day so that I could listen to her. I love her voice, her fast talk, her candor. I love that she sings in the recording and talks openly about her time in Gilmore Girls, her writing (she's adapting 'The Royal We' for the film!) and her methods (which I plan to revisit once I'm back in the writing saddle), her acting career and her love life. I legit teared up when she spoke about Edward Herrmann, you could tell she and everyone in the cast really loved him.

The only reason I docked a star is because she makes a lot of references to pictures that are clearly in the print book and it got frustrating that I couldn't see them because, duh, this is an audiobook.

Beyond that, this audiobook was a delight to listen to and I truly recommend it.

review 2017-07-24 16:26
knuckle-gnawing suspense
RETRIBUTION RIDGE: a dark, gripping and intense suspense thriller - Anna Willett

If Backwoods Ripper had you chewing your knuckles in suspense, Retribution Ridge certainly will not disappoint. But the tension has a deeper psychological twist in Anna Willett's later book, which has the reader sharing in the entrenched distrust that exists between the two sisters at the centre of this story. This is a book that taps into our own fears of past wrongs, which delivers an exciting, pacey read with the kind of eerieness and impending threat about it that will have you reading long past bedtime.

review 2017-07-24 13:09
excellent
Falling Foul - A.D. (Bud) Craig

Great end to the series. Delighted to discover that the whole trilogy is available in a single, fat paperback. That's a couple of xmas presents sorted then.