logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: for-review-2016
Load new posts () and activity
review 2016-11-30 04:11
Review: My Friends are All Strange
My Friends Are All Strange - Margaret Lesh Much like the main character, this book is quirky and interesting. I haven't read Normalish but I did enjoy this companion novel fully. Becca is struggling to keep up with the demands of senior year and coping with the loss of her father. Add in some anxiety and a wizard and you end up at Brookside. I didn't know quite what to expect upon reading the first few chapters, but I found myself turning page after page until it was complete. Becca's perspective on her time in an institution is both intriguing and endearing. Her empathy for the other patients and her resolve to move forward with her own life are both a vital part of her story. If you've ever struggled with any kind of mental illness, I would recommend this book. It tackles some hard to discuss topics while remaining lighthearted. Not everyone gets a happy ending, but that's a part of life.
review 2016-11-01 13:47
Review: A Raven's Heart
A Raven's Heart - K. C. Bateman

Ah, romance. There is so much to be said for that fiery passion that unrequited love can bring to a friendship. The phrase "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" comes to mind as you start this delectable novel. The sexual tension built up in just the first few chapters will have you turning pages at an alarming rate.

What could possibly be more tempting than your best friends little sister? To Ravenwood, or Raven, nothing apparently. But duty calls and he must follow orders while trying to resist the woman who simultaneously enrages and entices him.

Heloise, oh Heloise. I'm still relatively new to the historical romance genre and I must say, I hope that there are other heroines like Hell-cat. She's smart, witty and dripping with sarcasm. Even in the most dire of circumstances she holds her own with a sharp tongue and a grin. Her intelligence and abdication of traditional society make her a hero of mine. Her attraction to Raven doesn't reduce her to a bumbling nobody and that, most of all is my favorite part of the book.

If you're in the mood for some steamy romance and hilarious wit, you will definitely enjoy A Raven's Heart. It does not disappoint.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. I was not monetarily compensated for my opinion.

review 2016-10-21 18:21
Review: Corporate America is crazy
B.S. Incorporated - Jennifer Rock,Michael Voss

Real talk, this book stressed me out. It took me a few extra days to read it because I just couldn't deal with the too real stresses of a job I basically lived through. For a moment I wanted to rate this book lower because of the stress, but I realized that the authors did a superb job bringing you into the story and characters and it's not really their fault that I worked for a similar company that went through a similar situation and ended up having to leave the company because of it. Call it corporate PTSD if you will, but I think the authors did a good job capturing the corporate world in this humorous book.

Will is my favorite type of character, sarcastic and pragmatic. He is navigating the system and chaos of things he basically has no control over, while simultaneously trying to keep his job. If you've ever worked in a corporate environment, or known someone who has, the banter and insight Will shares with his trusted friends/coworkers will make you laugh. Every office needs a Will.

Anna was a less likable character, but she grows on you as the story progresses. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to say I liked her character until the very end of the story, which can be a good thing. You're never quite sure where her loyalties lie and that brings about an interesting turn of events. I really enjoyed her "real" moments when she wasn't projecting Corporate Anna and actually acted like a normal human being.

All in all I would say this book is a funny read. If you've been through a corporate transition, there may be some stressful "too real" moments for you but hopefully the humorous take on everything will bring you through the story with a smile.

review 2016-09-30 04:29
Review: Melody's Key by Dallas Coryell
Melody's Key - Dallas Coryell

Ah, the romance. *Sigh*. I have a lot of love for this book, despite some minor flaws it was a well thought out story with some great characters.

Music is good for the soul. I love that Tegan is a songwriter/singer that only writes for herself. The songs included in the book are poetic and I could actually hear the rhythm as I read them. She is a smart character with a lot of sass and a self-sacrificing devotion to her family. I adore that she wasn't blind to her family's struggles and the witty sarcasm about their various tenants throughout the summer kept the mood light and funny.

Mostly, I enjoyed that there was no insta-love between Tegan and her rockstar. They start off on very rocky footing and bumble around each other for a bit before realizing their attraction. Their snarky comments and embarrassing moments had me laughing throughout the book.

It is always hard for me to get into the endless-cash-flow type stories because sometimes it feels like such an easy fix to life's problems. This particular story I didn't mind it as much, which says a lot about the writing. It didn't feel like a "throw money at the problem" situation, but a genuine interest in the issue and solving it permanently. Having contacts and money certainly helps, but I can't fault our hero for taking an interest in the problem.

Final thoughts: If you're a fan of soulful connections and heartfelt families, you should definitely pick this up!

review 2016-09-18 05:08
Magic Binds - Ilona Andrews

PJ header

PJV Quickie: There is a reason Ilona Andrews has a loyal following – this husband-and-wife team consistently writes action-packed books that hold the reader's attention until the very end. Twisting plot lines and detailed action scenes keep us on the edge of our seat right up to the last line. This is the ninth book in the series and it hasn’t gotten old; the story is still lively and exciting enough to re-read.

Review:

It’s finally happening! The event fans have been waiting for - Kate and Curran are getting married! Of course, it wouldn’t be a Kate Daniels book if there were no problems along the way…

Saiman has been kidnapped by Kate’s father, but she can’t go save him without starting a war. A Witch Oracle has predicted Curran will die in battle with her father if she marries him, but if she doesn’t go to war, their future child will die a horrible death at her father’s hands. Kate is going to need help with this one, but getting that help might kill her first.

As the wedding date draws closer and her quest seems to grow more hopeless, Kate must draw on her inner strength, her friends, and luck to triumph over her fate (and herself) in order to protect those she cares about and save her city.

~~~~~

So.

This book.

We knew it was coming – the wedding, the showdown with her father, and Kate getting comfortable in her own skin. It’s almost ironic that a book about Kate binding herself to Curran in matrimony is also a book about Kate discovering herself – both where she comes from and what she wants to be. But, it’s also her love for Curran that helps her stay true to herself. Magic Binds is not only about Kate binding herself to Curran, but also about Kate binding the things she cares about to herself: Curran, her friends (and…other things), and her city.

The highlights:

• We get answers so many questions about Kate’s family history and how Roland came to be what/where he is today. Kate may have all other fictional characters beat when it comes to Daddy Issues – Roland’s bent on bringing Kate into the family business…or destroying her. But at the same time his behavior as the father of a bride is surprisingly funny.
  • We learn Christopher’s past and it’s a doozy!
  • Julie is coming into her own and is becoming so much more than just “Kate’s kid”. Her character is becoming more complex and I think there’s going to be a lot of action coming her way.
  • Ghastek and The People are making some big changes. ‘Nuff said.
  • The Pack suffers losses and friendships are damaged. This one hurt.

Magic Binds was the perfect title for this book – from being bound to your past, to being bound to those you love, to being bound by your word, the theme of binding ran through the entire story. There were a lot of dark threads in Magic Binds, but there was a lot of humor too – Roman’s comic relief and Kate’s snark kept things from getting too heavy and provided quite a few laughs.

I will end with this – if you’re one of those people who like to skip to the last line of the book before you’re finished, don’t. Just…don’t.

PJ new signature