logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: format-picture-books
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-11-04 18:02
Geraldine - Elizabeth Lilly
Geraldine - Elizabeth Lilly

More picture book tropes I am over: men in neckties for no discernable reason except gender-marking, and gendered insults like "drama queen". Geraldine loses a point for putting most of the girls in dresses, but I love Geraldine being the only giraffe in her new school, an excellent metaphor for all kinds of visible difference.

Library Copy

review 2018-11-04 16:39
The Quiet Place - Sarah Stewart, David Small
The Quiet Place - Sarah Stewart,David Small

An antidote to the toxic attitude toward immigrants of color right now. As if people of Northern European descent somehow have a more valid claim to American citizenship than indigenous people of the continent. It's like demanding that the UK remain for Romans only.

Set in 1957 the dresses are spot on an appropriate, and matched with mid-century furnishings, signage, and motor vehicles.

review 2018-08-02 02:17
Roof Octopus - Lucy Branam, Rogério Coelho
Roof Octopus - Rogério Coelho,Lucy Branam

The art is amazing, and the story is a clever surprise. It's so pretty, and it would make a fabulous and challenging colouring book. I don't believe that thought has ever occurred to me before.

Library copy

So I pulled up the book by the ISBN, but the picture didn't come with, and since my review is mostly "cool art" it seemed like adding the cover image was a good and helpful thing, right? But it's been too long since I last did this and/or I'm tired and stupid, because instead of uploading the cover image, I uploaded a picture of one of my cats. Sorry everyone. And thanks to the librarian who will fix this, in advance.

review 2018-02-25 14:43
We Found a Hat - Jon Klassen
We Found a Hat - Jon Klassen,Jon Klassen

The three books in the Hat trilogy are a single perfect entity: the same story (essentially) told from three different points of view. So simple, in tone and art, so nonjudgemental.  Klassen makes Hemingway and McCarthy look like poseurs.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-08-08 22:05
Morris Mole - Dan Yaccarino
Morris Mole - Dan Yaccarino,Dan Yaccarino

Morris is a nerdy mole who wears a suit and a dapper hat and carries an umbrella. His brothers all wear hardhats. There is a crisis. And then unexpected turns of events. Nerds for the win!