Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: forward
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-02-06 01:18
Moving Forward Sideways Like a Crab - Sh... Moving Forward Sideways Like a Crab - Shani Mootoo

For more reviews, check out my blog:Craft-Cycle

I received a copy of this book through Goodreads in exchange for an honest review.

I didn't really know anything about the book going into it. The summary on the back cover sounded interesting enough. Once I started reading, I was really confused. The back cover says Jonathan's parents split up, then his mother vanishes and later transitions into a man. So reading this, I assumed Jonathan was raised by his father. It took forever for me to figure out he was raised by a lesbian couple who then separated (one of whom transitions into a man). The summary wasn't wrong, but was rather vague. The family dynamics were very unclear and confusing to start. Even I, as someone who comes from a "non-traditional" family had to reread sections to figure it all out. It was such an easy fix, it seemed silly to start out so vaguely.

Once I got over that bump, I was ready for the book to get good. Unfortunately, that never happened. "Moving forward sideways like a crab" is the beautiful idea of telling a story from a roundabout way, focusing on all of the surrounding details. This is a great concept, but makes for a very drawn out and dull read.

At one point, Sydney states, "of course one wants relief after suspense, and I must admit that in a life like mine, there seems to be constant suspense and little relief, even now" (187). This pretty much sums up the book. There is so much buildup and it really doesn't lead anywhere. Nothing amazing or profound happens. By the end, the layout is pretty predictable. It ends right about where you expect it to, with little actually occurring. Yes, there is some emotional stuff and relationship stuff, but it was pretty boring.

Also, Jonathan himself was a very irritating character. I couldn't get over how whiny, self-centered, and petty he was. I just kept wanting to slap him and shout, "It's not that big of a deal! Chill out!" He seemed so overdramatic all the time.

There were also moments that felt unrealistic. At one point, some of Sydney's friends visit the house. Jonathan overreacts (big surprise) and starts freaking out, babbling on in the narrative, comparing it to a circus and saying other transphobic things. Then he passes out, one of the visitors is nice to him, and he magically is not transphobic anymore. I'm glad he changed, but it came about so suddenly and awkwardly that it didn't feel real.

Boring book. I bumped it up to 2-stars, because I think it had an interesting idea, but horrible execution.

review 2017-10-23 10:00
Review: Hooked on a Witch (Keepers of the Veil #4) by Zoe Forward
Hooked On A Witch - Zoe Forward

Pleiades witch Shannon Randolph has been framed for a theft she didn't do. She has one week to return a stolen relic to the god it belongs or she'll be executed. What's worse? Evil magic-wielding wackos are coming out of the woodwork after her to get it. But the biggest danger is Merck. This sexy, dangerous witch-hunter who understands all forms of magic might be her only hope. Enlisting his help may require she be a very naughty witch.

The moment Shannon strolls back into Jason Merck's life he's in trouble. There's something about the witch he can't resist, but he must. The witch hunter can't fall for the witch.

Hooked on a Witch is a spectacular addition to the Keepers of the Veil series, it has everything one needs to be able to hop dimensions and fight evil.

The romance between Shannon and Merck is a see saw of emotional upheaval that is complicated by family, friends secrets and most of all bad guys coming out of the woodwork. Both are strong characters that readers can not only relate to but really become involved in the drama of their lives. Merck has a sexy mysterious, secret wielding vibe going on that shows readers how hot he is but also how vulnerable making a definite book boyfriend.

Thrills and chills keep readers on the edge of their seat as we get to the suspense and boy is there a lot of that going on because the romance itself is full of it, especially with all of its ups and downs and the story has villains everywhere, a few secrets, a lot of magical action, and quite a few gods, goddesses and other powerful beings involved which also means that the story is full of action and surprising twists.

Secondary characters play strong supportive roles that help make this story one to remember but if you haven’t read the first books in the series them I strongly recommend that you do because this one picks up where Playing the Witch’s Game lets off and although the story gives readers enough information to keep up if you haven’t read the previous books, I feel that readers just wouldn’t get the whole effect and full understanding of just what is happening in this world full of Greek mythology.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Hooked on a Witch and I can’t wait to read the next Pleiades witches book and find out where Zoe Forward takes the series next.

Hooked on a Witch is the 4th book in the Keepers of the Veil series.

Hooked on a Witch is available at:

Amazon   Kobo   B&N   iBooks

Zoe Forward can be found at:

Website   Goodreads   Facebook   Twitter

review 2017-09-20 14:54
good story and characters
Hooked On A Witch - Zoe Forward

Shannon is a Pleiad witch and Jason is a witch hunter but in evil witches or dark magic practitioners. Jason’s father is Poseidon. Shannon has been accused of stealing Poseidon's Trident. Shannon is one of seven pleiad witches and finds herself in trouble as a Goddess wants the Trident but has accused  Shannon of taking it and now minions were after her. But Shannon didn’t take the trident and had no idea where it is. Shannon is determined to find someone to help save herself and the other witches. Shannon isn’t evil so Jason won’t hurt her but he does want to know why she is in town. Shannon and Jason had been together in school and had liked each other a lot but neither knew how the other felt. Shannon doesn’t really trust Jason. Their family and friends are not happy they are working together. Jason also has to deal with Shannon’s father who thinks Jason is evil and dangerous to Shannon. Shannon had been kidnapped before and Jason had rescued her.  But they are working together to try to find the trident.  Shannon and Jason are not only against the goddess but an evil witch named Anais  who wants the trident. Shannon used to work as a contract camerawoman until her mom suddenly died then Shannon got the position of head of the other Pleiades witches which Shannon hadn’t wanted but is doing the best she can. Who were female descendants of the Pleiades Greek Goddess.

I liked this book a lot. I loved the adventure and mystery. I liked how Jason and Shannon had known each other before and then this time their relationship heats up and  becomes hot. I liked how Shannon asked her friends on her weak points in magic instead of just trying to figure them out herself and make some bad mistakes she could have avoided with some help. I also loved how Shannon did what she had to do for the people who look to her for guidance and leadership. I loved how Shannon and  James worked on overcoming all the obstacles they have before them to overcome to be together. I loved how the author gave us some new new mythological creatures. I didn’t understand why Shannon’s father was so distrustful of Jason, Shannon is good so she won’t have a problem with Jason. I was a little confused about Jason’s backstory and well as the Gods and Demigods. I found this to be a fun read. I loved the characters and the ins and outs of this book and I recommend.

review 2017-09-09 09:10
Fast Forward: an Alt Er Love novella - Xio Axelrod

Ian was left behind by the love of his life, Jessen.  When Jessen comes back to town, he has a hard time believing that everything will just go back to where it was.  He no longer wants to go back.  He has a bright future, even though lonely.

Jessen for all his faults, is honest.  He still wants Ian, still wants to live close to Ian, and no longer travel the world.  He has seen and done it all and is ready to come back to who he loves.

This story touched me since I had sincere respect for the characters.  They were both brutally honest with one another.  I give props to the author for this.  I love honesty!  I also loved that no matter what, love got them together.  I hope to see more from this author, as I really like the style.  I give this book a 3/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

review 2017-09-06 11:49
Hooked on a Witch (Keepers of the Veil #4) by Zoe Forward
Hooked On A Witch - Zoe Forward
Hooked on a Witch is the fourth book in the Keepers of the Veil series, and can be read as a standalone, so long as you don't mind catching up as you go along. Shannon is learning what it is to be a Pleiades Witch, for all that she may not have long to live. During her search for a specific object, she reunites with Merck, a young man she knew from school who she liked. Things move on very quickly as one enemy and another comes after Shannon and Merck, throwing them together even though they decide otherwise.
This is a fast-paced and action-filled book. Shannon is still very nervous about her magic, whilst Merck is completely confident in his. Together, these two help the other, giving them something they didn't realise was missing. There were no editing or grammatical errors that disrupted my reading flow. I really hope that I see more of these two, as I would love to see Shannon blossom into her abilities, and to gain confidence as the leader of the Pleiades Witches. With a neat twist at the end, this book was thoroughly enjoyable. Definitely recommended by me.
Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!
Source: sites.google.com/site/archaeolibrarian/merissa-reviews/hookedonawitchkeepersoftheveil4byzoeforward