logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: game-time
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-07-05 22:31
What an ending
A Fountain Filled With Blood - Julia Spencer-Fleming

I have read this before, but I had totally forgotten how intense the last 25% of the book is. I wasn't really feeling it at first, and was a little bit disappointed, because I remembered the series being stronger than what I was getting from about the first 30% of the book.

The chemistry between Russ and Clare was great, of course, and we are introduced to Margy Van Alstyne, Russ's mother, who is a hoot, so that was fun. It didn't feel like Spencer-Flaming was handling the hate-crime motive for the murders very well, though - it seemed heavy handed and awkward - during the first part of the book.

But then, holy hell, it just took off, and next thing you know, I am just unable to tear my eyes away from my kindle. The ending was amazing and heart-dropping at the same time.

Anyway, I am going onto the third book, because I can't help myself. I need more Russ and Clare.

review 2019-07-05 22:21
The Key to Rebecca
The Key to Rebecca - Ken Follett

My digital hold on this one popped up, so I decided to read it instead of the next October Daye installment. Plus, it was the 4th of July, so a spy novel felt like just the right thing, since the worthless oxygen-thief currently occupying Pennsylvania Avenue has basically invited Russian spies into our country to wreak havoc.

I digress.

Anyway, this is a GREAT spy novel. It's riveting and genuinely suspenseful. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, so I'm not going to talk about the ending - because for those of us who are reading spy fiction this summer, I recommend it.

It's set during WWII, mostly in Cairo, where a British officer is on the trail of a German spy who is, somehow, transmitting British war plans to Rommel as he begins his campaign to take Egypt. Because it's historical fiction, we know how it will turn out, right - Rommel is defeated in the North African campaign.

But Follett takes this bit of history and what is known and he writes an espionage tale into the gaps of it. And it's terrific.

So, I'm subbing this in for space 7, using one of my cat cards!

review 2019-07-01 04:22
Solid Swedish mystery
Glass Devil - Helene Tursten

Quite a good Swedish mystery. Likeable MC and interesting solution.

Like most Nordic Noir, not for the faint of heart. Lots of violence, sexual violence and child abuse.

My edition was the Soho crime paperback, which are satisfying to read. Nice size, nice paper, appealing covers. I grab them at the UBS whenever they show up.

review 2019-06-13 15:32
The first Inspector Lynley
A Great Deliverance - Elizabeth George

OB's reviews of the first three books in the Inspector Lynley series have compelled me to reread them - I initially read them around the time of publication, which in the case of this book was 1988. I think that I probably read it in the early 1990's, maybe 1994 or so. I have a very distinct memory of reading one of the first entries into the series on a cruise ship balcony. I don't recall if I had picked up the book in one of those terrible cruise ship libraries that are the sad depository of musty Barbara Cartlands and poorly-written thrillers, or if it was one of the carefully curated stack of books I packed, long before the invention of the kindle meant that I could carry an entire library in my purse.

I forgot how good the beginning of this series is. This is really just an outstanding mystery - disturbing, emotionally resonant and horrifying. Tommy Lynley feels a little bit underdeveloped, but we're already getting deep into Barbara Havers, who is by far the best character in the series. In fact, tbh, George probably should have called it the DI Barbara Havers series.

I just placed a library hold on book 2. I can't remember when the books start to decline, but I do remember THAT BOOK. The one that all of you other series readers will also remember - where George goes completely off the fucking rails and takes a wrecking ball to everything that she has spent a dozen or so books building.

review 2019-06-03 15:37
I prefer her InCryptids series
A Local Habitation - Seanan McGuire

I don't have a ton to say about this one. I read the first installment in the series years ago, and sort of liked it, but didn't want to spend any money on the books. I keep a vague eye on them, but I haven't actually seen them go on sale. I don't feel like these UF series have a ton of rereading potential, so I tend not to buy them unless I can get them for a buck or two.

I've been doing a lot more library reading recently, though, so I decided to continue with the series and checked out this one, as well as the third book in the series.

Overall, of the three McGuire series that I've read - InCryptids, Wayward Children & this one - this is my least favorite. Wayward Children has a brutal lyricism that I find compelling, and InCryptids is so full of whimsy and flair that poor Toby just can't compete (this probably just boils down to my love of Aeslin mice). Overall, I've found the first two books in the series to be quite average.

Plus, I thought that the overall plot of this book was weak.

It's an easy read, though. I started the book around 1:30, and finished it by 6:30, with quite a bit of additional activity in the middle, including a trip to a favorite restaurant for a plate of dirty fries and an IPA.

The book may have been mediocre. The fries and the beer were outstanding.

I'll probably keep reading because UF is such an easy genre for me and I enjoy bingeing on it from time to time.

I've read all of Kate Daniels, most of Mercy Thompson, a lot of Harry Dresden and a smattering of a few other series. If you have a favorite UF series, point me to it below, and maybe I'll check it out of the library.