logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: gender-sexuality
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-05-29 21:49
[Book Review] User
User - Devin Grayson

User is the queer coming-of-age on the Internet story I didn't know I was looking for (but really should have been).

I grew up discovering the Internet as it grew from a specialist resource and message board hub into the complex sprawling hodge-podge it is now.  Not that Internet is not still growing and changing, but it's become something a bit more ubiquitous rather than something that's limited special interest or hobby.  There's still a divide in how people view friendships and relationships developed in person and online, but those relationships do occur and can be incredibly meaningful as are the worlds we create with each other.

User is a story about all of that and more.  It's about finding refuge in shared fantasy and friendship, as told by a young woman who discovers text-based online fantasy gaming.  The story is heartfelt and raw, dealing with difficult subjects frankly.  I highly recommend.

Advance Reader Copy courtesy of Image Comics in exchange for an honest review; changes may exist between galley and the final edition.

Source: libromancersapprentice.blogspot.com/2017/05/book-review-user.html
review 2017-04-07 04:32
Wow.
User - Devin Grayson

User by Devin Grayson is the queer, coming-of-age on the internet graphic novel I didn't know I was looking for.  It's raw, painful, beautiful, and relateable.

review 2017-03-05 04:03
do you want to cry?
Love is Love: Exclusive Digital Edition - Sarah Gaydos,Jamie S. Rich

an anthology of stories, poems, and art no more than a few pages each, most just a single page.

i kept having to stop reading b/c i was tearing up so bad.

review 2017-01-22 00:39
[Book Review] Dreadnought
Dreadnought - April Daniels

Danny Tozer tries to stay under the radar, right now that's the easiest way of surviving and staying sane.  Then the world's greatest superhero is struck down and passes his mantle to Danny.  When young men have taken on the mantle of Dreadnought they've physically changed, becoming taller, stronger, more to their ideal form.  Danny takes on the mantle and finds herself for the first time in her life in a body that matches who she is... only everyone else still remembers Danny as Daniel.  Now when she should be learning what comes with these superpowers and stepping into the void left by the previous Dreadnought, she has to deal with suspicion, disgust, and all the baggage of being seen as an attractive young woman.  She has to get a handle on things fast, because she may be the only one capable of stopping the cyborg Utopia's plans.

I started reading this book with high levels of both excitement and reservation.  Kickass trans superheroine and feminist issues?  Yeah, that's something I'd read.  But... what if it didn't deliver on it's promise?  I gotta say, it lived up to my expectations.  There are just so many moments that Danny experiences that just nail the female experience on top of realistically handling realities of gender dysphoria and trans-misogyny.  And it all takes place in a hands down awesome YA superhero novel.  This book rocks.

Advance Reader Copy courtesy of Diversion Books in exchange for an honest review; changes may exist between galley and the final edition.

Source: libromancersapprentice.blogspot.com/2017/01/book-review-dreadnought.html
review 2016-12-13 17:42
rather sweet story
Change of Address (Hartsbridge Island) - Jordan S. Brock

It's actually a rather sweet romance story with one slightly explicit sex scene.

One thing I loved about this book is that the knows what she's talking about when it comes to service dogs, and she gives a picture of PTSD that isn't your standard "angry violent outbursts," rather showing complexity in it's manifestations.