logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: getting-in-your-head
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-06-28 13:57
Paul Temple: East of Algiers
Paul Temple: East of Algiers - Douglas Rutherford,Francis Durbridge,Anthony Head

Paul Temple and Steve are asked to perform a favour for a friend and deliver a pair of glasses that were left behind to their rightful owner in Tunis. Somehow this leads to murder and other crimes that Paul and Steve get to investigate.

To cut it short, this story was not great. It was really slow-moving and much of it just made no sense.

Part of the charm of the Paul Temple stories is that they are all rather similar and all follow the same formula. So, in East of Algiers we get the usual plot, too. Paul Temple stories always require the suspension of disbelief.

What I found absolutely ludicrous in this story was the way Durbridge wrote about the investigations in Paris and Tunis.

While in Paris, they collaborate with the local police in the investigation.

However, when they get to Tunis, they somehow seem to bypass the local police and the investigation seems to be led by their friend Sir Graham Forbes of Scotland Yard.

While Sir Graham does make mention of his being asked to work on the case by Interpol, the lack of local police involvement made it look like it was perfectly fine for foreign authorities to take control of matters that really would be outside of their jurisdiction.

The sense of Imperialism at work here spoiled some of the book for me.

To be fair, tho, the story was not exactly interesting otherwise either, but Anthony Head's narration saved the book for me.

Oh, and why call the story East of Algiers, when the story is set in Tunis? Algeria or any other part of Algeria don't feature. I mean, sure, Tunisia is east of Algiers. That is true. But why not make reference in the title to something that actually has some relevance to the story?

These questions are entirely rhetorical, of course. I'm moving on to the next book.

review 2020-05-16 12:24
Danny Black on a mission to hunt terrorists
Head Hunters: Danny Black Thriller 6 - Chris Ryan

Danny Black was on a mission to hunt two known terrorists.

The mission go sideways and Black is now running for his life.

There is some really bad persons with guns. And now he have to find help from a doctor so that he could discover the truth and complete his mission.

I'm a fan of the Strike Back series. That lead me to read the books and probably why I like them so much. They are very straight forward in the way that the lead is usually in trouble because of politics or someone getting too greedy. And Danny Black is the good guy who would get into the middle of the problem and sort things out, with guns and explosives.

Fun read. Really like it. Just what I need to get me to forget for a few hours the mess in the world and in the city.

review 2020-05-08 16:56
Cirque du Daddy Issues
The Circus - Olivia Levez The Circus - Olivia Levez

This was a quick read, and well paced.

But. But...

The whole premise of the book is pretty absurd. Let me break it down. First, this girl runs away to join the circus in 2016. Most circuses by that point had gone belly-up, but this girl seems to just stumble over more than one in a tiny UK coastal town. Very unlikely.

And that leads us to Willow, our main character. She is flawed, but not in a relatable way. She has a rich daddy who owns her off on others and can't be bothered to take care of her because "she looks too much like her", his ex and mother of Willow. So Willow spends the whole book as a runaway, while recounting other escape attempts. Some seemed understandable while most seemed straight up spoiled brat moves. And that's where being flawed too much comes into play. How can I feel sympathy for a character when she is clearly in the wrong? The book opens with her ruining her step-mother's wedding dress. And by the end of the book, we still don't have an excuse for why she did it and why she hates her stepmom. Because she's young? Pregnant? We are never given a good reason, so most of Willow's behavior comes off as ridiculous and petty.

And I would like to note that for a girl so "prepared" for this runaway episode, she didn't know squat about street life. She had a list of rules to follow but not one said anything about going anywhere with strangers. She kept putting herself in incredibly dangerous situations because she was too stupid to think "hey, maybe I shouldn't tease the creepy smelly ticket seller" or "don't go into a stranger's house".

In the end, we get closure with a neat bow on top, but seriously? Nobody learned a lesson. Daddy still admitted to not really loving Willow, but he cries big fat tears of joy when she returns home to him. And let's not forget there are 17 years of distant "throw money at it until it goes away" parenting and never really even remembering she exists. You never learn why Willow hates her stepmom. You never learn why any of this had to happen. She ran away so many times she had a detective on her case all day every day, and nobody once thought to send this poor girl to therapy?! Why does a 6/8/11 year old keep running away from boarding school/home? Nobody ever seems to suggest this child might need help.

All in all, don't bother. The whole thing is stupid. And if I'm going to be technical, as the book went along, the editing mistakes got worse and worse. So, I felt no sympathy for the main character, nobody learned anything, and everyone lives happily ever after. Gag me.

review 2020-03-04 11:44
Make Your Way Super Easy With Right Shower Head

Being the part of a hectic daily schedule that makes you dull and tired, you seem to look for some easy and therapist way that is not heavy on pocket and takes your whole day. So, this time when you look for such a thing then make sure you renovate your bathroom the way you want. It is the time to get the luxurious shower that will make you feel relaxed and give you a new spirit that will make you happy and healthy. Our Gurin Rain Shower Head High Pressure Spa System, Luxury Bathroom Showerhead with Chrome Plated Finish, Adjustable Angles, Anti-Clogging Silicone Nozzles that will add a star to your bathroom.

So, if you are the one who wishes to have the luxurious shower but not able to decide on one as you feel that it is a hasel and long term process, then our shower head is the right choice. It is the product that comes with the fitting instruction and has the guidance of steps. This will save your time and extra money you would pay to any technician who would come and fit the shower.

Our rainfall shower head makes you release the water with pressure so that you can easily wash shampoo and soap with trouble.  It not only delivers the right amount of water but also adds a star to the bathroom which will give it look like a luxurious spa. This time choose a shower that will fit into your requirement and give you the desired results. The plus point of buying our shower heads with handheld spray is that it can fit into any direction you want, being adjustable gives it a beneficial point.

One of the best features because of which our customer trust is the most important part of our work. We provide  shower head high pressure that will make your life super easy.

Source: www.amazon.com/Pressure-Bathroom-Showerhead-Adjustable-Anti-Clogging/dp/B082WWGCC9
review 2020-02-17 09:52
Sprinkle The Rain Shower At Your Home

A dream home is the imagination of every individual, and in their imagination they look for the home that has everything they think of. Washroom is one the most important places and you make sure you have the right fitting. A perfect Shower time eases you from the hectic schedule all day. So, if you are the one who is looking for the right shower head then you have come to the right place.

We at Gurin have come up with the most luxurious Gurin Rain Shower Head High Pressure Spa System, Luxury Bathroom Showerhead with Chrome Plated Finish, Adjustable Angles, Anti-Clogging Silicone Nozzles” that will add a new touch to the washroom and save you from those rustic traditional shower routines. If you are the one who loves to enjoy the time in a spa but visiting daily makes a big whole in your pocket then why not get one luxurious feeling at the best prices at your home shower. As well as it not only gives a fantastic touch but also saves your time by giving the right amount of water that will clear the shampoo and soap correctly.

We have designed them in such a way that it is shower heads with handheld spray that makes your work handy and help it to use as the way you want. The shower is constructed in such a way that you can easily fit it to your current plumbing connection without any complication. Even we make sure the setting spray is gentle and create the experience of showering a relaxing one.

During the making of the shower head we have used the premium quality particles that make the ideal product the rejuvenates your skin and relax your body from every stress. The water filter used is of best quality so that the water you get is clear from impurities that will make your hair and skin shine.