logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: gone-girl
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-07-14 11:44
The Salt Fish Girl
Salt Fish Girl: A Novel - Larissa Lai

After a month of trying to read a mere 256 pages, I have finally finished this...but I still really don't know what the book was trying to do or what it really was about.

We have two stories being told in alternate chapters: the story of Nu Wa, a take on the Chinese creation myth, and the story of Miranda, which is set in the future and tells of a girl who was born with an unusual condition - she smells of durian fruit and later develops scales.

I got the connection between Miranda and Nu Wa, but I'm not sure I got anything out of the book. I guess I needed a bit more in the way of connecting the dots or elaborating on why certain things were the way they were.

For example what did Miranda's father do for a living that is called "tax collecting" but seems to happen in virtual reality where he still gets beat up every night?

I guess the book just wasn't for me.

review 2018-07-10 03:52
Roller Girl (Lake Lovelace, #3) by Vanessa North 5 Star Review!!
Roller Girl - Vanessa North

Recently divorced Tina Durham is trying to be self-sufficient, but her personal-training career is floundering, her closest friends are swept up in new relationships, and her washing machine has just flooded her kitchen. It’s enough to make a girl cry.
Instead, she calls a plumbing service, and Joanne “Joe Mama” Delario comes to the rescue. Joe is sweet, funny, and good at fixing things. She also sees something special in Tina and invites her to try out for the roller derby team she coaches.

Derby offers Tina an outlet for her frustrations, a chance to excel, and the female friendships she’s never had before. And as Tina starts to thrive at derby, the tension between her and Joe cranks up. Despite their player/coach relationship, they give in to their mutual attraction. Sex in secret is hot, but Tina can’t help but want more.

With work still on the rocks and her relationship in the closet, Tina is forced to reevaluate her life. Can she be content with a secret lover? Or with being dependent on someone else again? It’s time for Tina to tackle her fears, both on and off the track.

Review

I have heard how good this book is and should have picked it up much sooner because this is an excellent romance.

Tina is a wonderful heroine. North has created layer upon layer and we get to see her fall in love again after being so hurt in her marriage after she transitioned.

My favorite thing about Vanessa North's writing is that her characters have full complex lives and part of the plot is the merging of those lives and the complication that can bring.

Joe is very sexy and we get the joy of roller derby plus a great circle of friends. Oh and Elvis the dog.

I would love a little longer of a happily even after but so many of aspects of this book delight with tenderness, passion, and the glow of both love of another and of self.

review 2018-07-07 22:26
Princess Fisk
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur (2015-) #32 - Natacha Bustos,Brandon Montclare

And yes, her first name is Princess.

She's taking over Lunella's school as Fisk gets way more involved than anyone wants him to with the school system.

This is not going to end well...

review 2018-07-07 16:53
Another heavy handed issue
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur (2015-) #31 - Ray-Anthony Height,Natacha Bustos,Brandon Montclare

And Marvel CAN do PSAs that aren't, but they have a history of them.  Some of them are incredibly heavy handed - like this issue.

This was fine other than that.   I wish there had been more Devil Dinosaur, but it wasn't horribly out of character, and I was actually interested in the plot.  If they had pulled back, especially when Lunella was talking directly to the audience about why they didn't want to smoke, then it would have been more effectively both narratively and as a PSA in my opinion.

review 2018-07-07 14:05
Awwww!
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur (2015-) #30 - Natacha Bustos,Brandon Montclare

Devil is so adorable: he keeps letting Moon Girl know he's forgiven her, and she still asks for his forgiveness.

Anyway, I liked this storyline, but my favorite is Moon Girl and Devil on their own so I'm glad to see the team's back together and that they told The Thing and The Human Torch to find Mister Fantastic and the Invisible Woman, because it lets them be alone.

I also think this issue starts to kick off the return of the Fantastic Four as a complete team.