logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: graphic-novel
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-10-13 22:50
Walking Dead Volume 29
The Walking Dead Volume 29 - Robert Kirkman

I read this. I absolutely did. And I can't believe I never rated and reviewed it--and now I can't actually remember the date(s) I read it.*

So it's been a while, but I recall this being one of those transitional volumes that sets up the next big plotlines. On to volume 30!

*It came out in March 2018, and I will estimate that I read this sometime in April.

review 2018-10-09 03:14
‘Chilling Adventures’ of Sabrina’ is the perfect graphic novel read for Halloween; this is full-on retro HORROR with a capital H
Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Vol. 1 - Jack Morelli,Robert Hack,Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa

I fancied some ‘light’ horror and since a whole bunch of my pals on Litsy have been reaching for graphic novels this Halloween season, I thought I’d try this. And don’t be fooled: this version of Sabrina the Teenage Witch’ is most definitely HORROR with a capital H. If you are looking for something along the lines of what you would find on the CW when Sabrina was a sitcom, this is NOT it. Forget PG-spooky, it’s definitely the other end of the horror spectrum: S for Sabrina is now Scary.

Set back in the 1960’s, Sabrina is the illicit lovechild of a warlock called Edward Spellman, and a mortal named Diana, and she is raised by her aunts Zelda and Hilda (no news there). Sabrina is approaching her 16th birthday, which means she can become a fully-fledged witch, and pledge herself to the Dark Lord*. Complicating things are having a mortal boyfriend, and deciding if she can kill living animals on the spot. More fun ensues when Madam Satan shows up in town, and she is none too happy about having been sidelined by Edward for Sabrina’s mom. Enough said.

There are all sorts of horror goodies in this jumbo comic edition (it contains comics 1-5 of the ‘Chilling Adventures’, and in the back, has the variants that were printed with the different covers). The fabulous intro by the author Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa lays it all out for the reader, pointing out that the adventures are like ‘Rosemary’s Baby’, plus ‘The Exorcist’, ‘The Omen’, and Arthur Miller’s ‘The Crucible’ all rolled together. It’s ALL in here. As well as Ray Bradbury’s ‘Something Wicked This Way Comes’, zombies, and vengeance against men who have picked up innocent hitchhiking women.

The retro style of illustration harks back to comics of decades ago, and Roberto explains it’s because he wanted them to have the feel of a ‘period piece’, and it all works flawlessly. There’s plenty of dark humor (very dark), a definite feel of classic horror influencing every frame, and it’s actually no wonder that it’s being adapted into a show on Netflix. I hope they keep it just as gory, retro, and bloody though...

I’ll be continuing the series!

*To any heathens asking: no, REAL witches do NOT pledge themselves to ‘Satan’ or the ‘Dark Lord’.

**You can find this omnibus edition on hoopla!

review 2018-10-06 14:17
Spill Zone - Scott Westerfeld, Alex Puvilland
Spill Zone - Scott Westerfeld,Alex Puvilland

I think I have already read this one, but I don't have a record of that, so leave it at maybe. Of course, this one didn't get logged last week when read, because they get knocked out in one quick sitting, then immediately on to the next thing. Volume 2 is out now, so a refresher was necessary. Like Paper Girls and Lumberjanes, strange things are afoot and it could be anything. It is so gratifying to read about girls having adventures just like they are real people. Kudos for Westerfeld who puts female and minority characters front and center, without making it the point. If I can get #2, I'm going to use it for my New Release.

Puvilland has different styles and palettes that set off the sheer strangeness of what Poughkeepsie has become. Approaching it from the woods in particular puts me in mind of footage from Chernobyl twenty years later.

Library copy

review 2018-10-03 01:55
I am not okay
Saga Volume 9 - Fiona Staples,Brian K. Vaughan

I am grieving. Comics shouldn't make you grieve.

And I can't even find out what's going to happen because Saga is on hiatus!

review 2018-09-23 13:40
Super Famous!!!
Ms. Marvel, Vol. 5: Super Famous - Nico Leon,G. Willow Wilson,Cliff Chiang,Takeshi Miyazawa,Adrian Alphona

More like Super Overwhelmed, or Super Overworked!!!

Most of the time in the Volume, I just wanted to take Kamala out of the story and just hug her, give her a nice cup of tea and wrap her up in a blanket, cause there was just so much going on for her.

She's just my favorite. I love her whole story so darn much. She's amazing, she's real. She's everything.

Aside from Kamala, I seriously loved Mike in this Volume. She kinda came out of the blue (look what I did there, cause she has blue hair and...it's not funny, if you have to explain it, Nicole.) I need more Kamala and Mike scenes in coming Volumes. I also loved the weird little friendship between Zoe and Nakia that we saw a little bit from in the background.