logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: great-courses
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-03-15 23:55
Today's daily deal...
English Grammar Boot Camp - Professor Anne Curzan

How sweet! An item on my wish list showed up as a Daily Deal. It is so infrequently that they feature a title that I am interested in. Lots of suspense and romance but not much that is esoteric or otherwise off the beaten track.

But, that aside, I'm already well into it and it will be a good balm for the spate of spring cleaning that has begun around here. The lecturer has a pleasant voice, knows her topic and has an engaging style.

UPDATE: Finished. So sorry to have to move on. Curzan is so easy to listen to and her subject is fascinating. As a grammarian, she is practical and realistic not pendantic and inflexible. She understands that there is a difference between spoken language and formal written language, that language and usage are constantly changing.

If you just want to learn the rules, buy a style book such as Strunk & White or Brian Gardner or the Chicago Style Manual and just follow their rules. If you want to understand what makes our language tick and where these rules have come from, listen to Anne Curzan.

Rating: 4 and half stars

Like Reblog
review 2016-11-25 00:00
Great World Religions: Buddhism (Great Courses, #6105)
Great World Religions: Buddhism (Great Courses, #6105) - Malcolm David Eckel This Great Course Lecture series covers the religion by considering the historical context of the faith. (I'm not even sure if "faith" is the correct word to use in this context since as a whole Buddhist don't seem to believe in pretending to know things they don't know). I'm not sure if there is a source for what I want regarding learning about the tenets of Buddhism. As the lecturer said one of the early beliefs for Buddhism is all things are impermanent and that includes Buddhism itself. Well, I'll still be on the look out for a book on the subject to read in order to understand a little bit more about Buddhism.
review 2016-08-04 15:51
I like my history spoon fed
Turning Points in Modern History - The Great Courses,The Great Courses,Professor Vejas Gabriel Liulevicius

It goes to show that history is not always about upon whose heads rest the crowns and sometimes isn't about what happened but about what didn't happen.

I give this one four stars. He's easy to listen to and the lectures are well organized.

review 2016-07-21 21:02
Everyman's Reading Shakespeare
How to Read and Understand Shakespeare - Professor Marc C. Conner

He has an interesting approach to Shakespeare--presenting certain themes (which he calls tools) to look for in Shakespeare's work. I'm trying to decide if he offered anything new or just a codification of what I think I've already known about Shakespeare's work. In any case, it seems a good approach for the Shakespeare-phobic.

So, Professor, three stars with plus another half for your enthusiasm and love of the Bard,

review 2016-01-20 05:34
Language A to Z - Professor John McWhorter,The Great Courses,The Great Courses,John H. McWhorter

While I do enjoy listening to McWhorter's lectures, if you have heard one lecture series, you have pretty much heard them all.