logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: guardian
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-07-06 14:59
REVIEW BY MERISSA - The Guardian #1-#2, by Rayanne Haines
Magic Born (The Guardian #2) - Rayanne Haines

Magic Born is the second book in The Guardian series, and it does follow on from the first, so you do need to read this in order. We met both Neeren and Mar in the first book. Neeren is Alex's brother whilst Maria is her BFF, and a kick ass witch too.

In book one it became obvious that these two would end up together, although they would both fight it too. And they do, although it changes very quickly. Now, you may consider the circumstances extenuating and say that there was simply no place for games. For me though, it just felt a bit fast, all or nothing!

The pace is fast in this book, and it is excellently written. There are plenty of twists and turns to keep your attention, plus lots of steamy action. If I was being really picky I would say that I wish we had had more of the 'big bad' before we found out who it was. There wasn't really much of a shock involved, simply because a) we didn't really know the character, and b) it made sense!

This was a great continuation of this series, and I am really looking forward to Quinn's book. I really want to see if Lochan has forgiven her for how she left him in book one.

Merissa

Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!

@inkrayanne, @XpressoReads, #Paranormal, #Romance, 4 out of 5 (very good)

Source: archaeolibrarian.wixsite.com/website/single-post/2018/07/06/The-Guardian-1-2-by-Rayanne-Haines
review 2018-06-19 16:44
The Constant Gardener / John Le Carré
The Constant Gardener - John le Carré

Tessa Quayle-young, beautiful, and dearly beloved to husband Justin-is gruesomely murdered in northern Kenya. When Justin sets out on a personal odyssey to uncover the mystery of her death, what he finds could make him not only a suspect but also a target for Tessa's killers.

A master chronicler of the betrayals of ordinary people caught in political conflict, John le Carré portrays the dark side of unbridled capitalism as only he can. In The Constant Gardener he tells a compelling, complex story of a man elevated through tragedy as Justin Quayle-amateur gardener, aging widower, and ineffectual bureaucrat-discovers his own natural resources and the extraordinary courage of the woman he barely had time to love.

***2018 Summer of Spies***

So its summer, finally and at last, here in the Great White North. It’s time for some summer fun reading about espionage! This is my first venture into Le Carré’s work and I enjoyed it.

I had expected a rather light & frothy thriller and instead I got a serious examination of big pharma—its use of the unfortunate as test subjects and its desire to put profit well ahead of human kindness. Also explored is the nature of colonialism in Kenya, reminding me a bit of The Poisonwood Bible. Heavy subjects for a popular novel!

I also got a reminder on the nature of marriage—those of us on the outside of a marriage really have no idea what’s happening on the inside. On the outside, Sandy and Gloria Woodrow look like the stable, steady couple and Justin and Tessa Quayle look like a precarious, unmatched union. The book begins from Sandy Woodrow’s point of view and quickly disabuses the reader of the notion that his marriage is solid. Woodrow’s constant search for sex outside his marriage was tiresome and it was a relief when I reached the point where Le Carré switched to Justin’s POV. There we discover that, far from being unstable, Justin and Tessa trusted and loved each other a great deal.

Thereafter followed the labyrinthine machinations that I had been expecting. Who knows what, who is hiding something, what can be done about it all? I can definitely see why The Guardian lists it as one of their 1000 recommended books.

review 2018-06-11 07:29
Guardian Angels and Other Monsters by Daniel H. Wilson
Guardian Angels and Other Monsters - Daniel H. Wilson

From the blurb:

"From the New York Times bestselling author of Robopocalypse comes a fascinating and fantastic collection that explores complex emotional and intellectual landscapes at the intersection of artificial intelligence and human life. A VINTAGE BOOKS ORIGINAL.

In "All Kinds of Proof," a down-and-out drunk makes the unlikeliest of friends when he is hired to train a mail-carrying robot; in "Blood Memory," a mother confronts the dangerous reality that her daughter will never assimilate in this world after she was the first child born through a teleportation device; in "The Blue Afternoon That Lasted Forever," a physicist rushes home to be with his daughter after he hears reports of an atmospheric anomaly which he knows to be a sign of the end of the earth; in "Miss Gloria," a robot comes back to life in many different forms in a quest to save a young girl. Guardian Angels and Other Monsters displays the depth and breadth of Daniel H. Wilson's vision and examines how artificial intelligence both saves and destroys humanity.
"

This is a compilation of 14 short science-fiction stories.  I found this collection to make for enjoyable reading, though some stories I enjoyed more than others.  This collection deals mostly with the human side, rather than the science side, of whatever subject the author was writing about at the time.  Some stories were thought provoking, others rather creepy.  The writing was beautiful.

NOTE:  I received a copy of this book from NetGalley.  This review is my honest opinion of the book.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-05-30 01:10
Turquoise Guardian
Turquoise Guardian - Jenna Kernan

This was entertaining, lots of action. I was pleasantly surprised. My only issue was the underlying mystery, who-did it, wasn't solved. There were some answers, but not many. I recognize this is a series of 4 books, but for an Intrigue, I expected it to be more stand-alone. They do solve their misunderstanding and it's one I don't think would have been "solved" had Amber laid it all out there at 17. I think Carter wouldn't have had the maturity to help her. The ending was......different. Anything else and it'd be a spoiler, but if you want to know here it is:

Stop reading if you don't want to know

The ending was different since they were going to be in witness protection for an undetermined period of time.  I did like it enough to continue on to books 2, Eagle Warrior.

review 2018-05-22 06:06
Book Tour: The Accidental Guardian
The Accidental Guardian - Mary Connealy

Are you a person would would like to see what an wagon trail is like. Learn about it some what. Well you get glimpses of it though the accidental guardian. You can see what it like to be a survivor of a wagon train.

We find out about Tracy Riley and some of his past. He has to protect not only woman but also two children. They are survivors of the wagon train. We seem to be following more of Deb's story rather then her little sister Gwen and the children. Though maybe in the second book we learn more about the children and Gwen story.

Deb is adventurous and Trace and seem interested in Tracy from  the beginning. Trace put Deb in his bed that first night. Is there romance between them or not?

Source: nrcbooks.blogspot.com/2018/05/book-tour-accidental-guardian.html