logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: hard-copy-for-review
Load new posts () and activity
text 2017-05-24 22:56
180/344 pages read of You Will Grow into Them Malcolm Devlin
You Will Grow into Them - Malcolm Devlin

The world is a far stranger place than we give it credit for. There, in the things we think familiar, safe, are certain aspects. Our fears and desires given form. Moments that defy explanation. Shadows in our home.

In Malcolm Devlin’s debut collection, change is the only constant. Across ten stories he tackles the unease of transformation, growth and change in a world where horror seeps from the everyday. Childhood anxieties manifest as debased and degraded doppelgängers, fungal blooms are harvested from the backs of dancers and London lycanthropes become the new social pariahs. The demons we carry inside us are very real indeed, but You Will Grow Into Them.

Taking weird fiction and horror and bending them into strange and wondrous new shapes, You Will Grow Into Them follows, in the grand tradition of Aickman, Ligotti and Vandermeer, reminding us that the ordinary world is a much stranger place than it seems.

As is usual with short story collections I will post an update periodically with my thoughts and ratings as I am reading and then review the book in its entirety when I am finished.

1 - Passion Play - 3 stars.

This was an Ok story. Not exactly sure what happened to Cathy, not sure if I'm supposed to. I loved the idea behind the story though. Creepy concept.

2 - Two Brothers - 3 stars.

Well written stories so far. They give just enough to unsettle you while allowing your imagination to fill in the gaps.

3 - Breadcrumbs - 4 stars.

Some weird mix between Rapunzel, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty. Feels very fairytalesque and very imaginative. Has she grown up, shed her childhood and become a woman? or, is she just dreaming? Think I may read this one again.

4 - Her First Harvest - 4 stars.

Kinda gone off mushrooms now. Interesting but strange concept and visually enchanting.

5 - We All Need Somewhere to Hide - 5 stars.

Beauty is only skin deep, a person's character is where true beauty lies, but how deep does our love for someone truly go... This is my favourite so far.

6 - Dogsbody - 3 stars.

Not sure what to think about this one. I would have liked to know the why behind what had occurred. I enjoyed it though. You shouldn't always assume prejudice is at play, you're not always the victim you perceive yourself to be.

7 - 10 Still to come

Facebook | Twitter | G+ | BookLikes | LibraryThing

You can also follow me on Bloglovin

text 2017-04-15 21:04
I'm reading Dark Asylum by E. S. Thomson
Dark Asylum (Jem Flockhart) - E. S. Thomson

I've been looking forwards to sitting down with this book all day.

The family have been warned not to interrupt me if they value their lives as I won't be held responsible for my actions if they intrude on my reading time.

Facebook | Twitter | G+ | BookLikes | LibraryThing

You can also follow me on Bloglovin

review 2016-11-10 20:19
Review: Beloved Poison by E.S. Thomson
Beloved Poison (Jem Flockhart) - E. S. Thomson

I would like to thank Little, Brown Book Group for providing me with an advanced reading copy of this book.

I went into this book not sure what to expect. It was initially the beautiful cover that caught my eye and on reading the blurb it piqued my interest even more, but I knew nothing more about the book. I didn't know if it was a mystery, crime, or a thriller etc. I had no inkling of what genre it fit into so I didn't have any expectations going in, and I certainly didn't expect it to enthral me as much as it did.

I was completely captivated by this book. The imagery was so vivid that I was transported completely to another time. I was so wrapped up in the dark and gloomy world of victorian London, surrounded by the sights, the smells, and the crumbling old buildings, that the world around me ceased to exist. When I wasn't reading I found myself thinking about the world and the people that I had left behind on the pages, eager to get back to them.

The writing style played out in my head like a movie. I could picture everything, the sights, the smells, the characters, the environment, and I was completely taken over by the book the whole time it was in my hands. The characterisation was fantastic. Every character was so well written and fleshed out, especially those of Jem and Will. Jem is an amazing character, she enveloped me and drew me into her world, she was as real as I was and I was right there with her from start to finish. Her voice was a light in the darkness and I was drawn to it and couldn't turn the pages fast enough.

I want to say Beloved Poison is a character driven story, the characters are a huge part of the book and feel as real as you or I, but it's also very world driven. Victorian London surrounded me the whole time I was reading, I was there amongst the old buildings, breathing in the tainted air and passing the people on the street like I was one of them. To me, this was a story that I lived rather than a story read. Even though there is a mystery running throughout, and of course I wanted to know who the guilty party was, it was the experience of living and breathing in Victorian London and my love for Jem's character that made this an outstanding read.

Quite unexpectedly, Beloved Poison is one of my favourite reads of 2016. I never thought I would ever say that about a historical fiction book. I can't wait to get my hands on the next instalment!

Beloved Poison is going to be a hard book to follow. I'm going to have to choose my next read very carefully.

Highly recommended.

Facebook | Twitter | G+ | BookLikes

text 2016-11-08 16:46
Beloved Poison reading update: 400/400 pages read
Beloved Poison (Jem Flockhart) - E. S. Thomson

Quite unexpectedly, This book is now one of my favourite reads of 2016. I never thought I would ever say that about a historical fiction book.

Review to come!

text 2016-11-06 04:28
Beloved Poison reading update: 28/400 pages read
Beloved Poison (Jem Flockhart) - E. S. Thomson

That made me cringe. I don't have the bits mentioned but omg, why would you do that?!