logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: hard-copy-for-review
Load new posts () and activity
text 2017-04-15 21:04
I'm reading Dark Asylum by E. S. Thomson
Dark Asylum (Jem Flockhart) - E. S. Thomson

I've been looking forwards to sitting down with this book all day.

The family have been warned not to interrupt me if they value their lives as I won't be held responsible for my actions if they intrude on my reading time.

Facebook | Twitter | G+ | BookLikes | LibraryThing

You can also follow me on Bloglovin

review 2016-11-10 20:19
Review: Beloved Poison by E.S. Thomson
Beloved Poison (Jem Flockhart) - E. S. Thomson

I would like to thank Little, Brown Book Group for providing me with an advanced reading copy of this book.

I went into this book not sure what to expect. It was initially the beautiful cover that caught my eye and on reading the blurb it piqued my interest even more, but I knew nothing more about the book. I didn't know if it was a mystery, crime, or a thriller etc. I had no inkling of what genre it fit into so I didn't have any expectations going in, and I certainly didn't expect it to enthral me as much as it did.

I was completely captivated by this book. The imagery was so vivid that I was transported completely to another time. I was so wrapped up in the dark and gloomy world of victorian London, surrounded by the sights, the smells, and the crumbling old buildings, that the world around me ceased to exist. When I wasn't reading I found myself thinking about the world and the people that I had left behind on the pages, eager to get back to them.

The writing style played out in my head like a movie. I could picture everything, the sights, the smells, the characters, the environment, and I was completely taken over by the book the whole time it was in my hands. The characterisation was fantastic. Every character was so well written and fleshed out, especially those of Jem and Will. Jem is an amazing character, she enveloped me and drew me into her world, she was as real as I was and I was right there with her from start to finish. Her voice was a light in the darkness and I was drawn to it and couldn't turn the pages fast enough.

I want to say Beloved Poison is a character driven story, the characters are a huge part of the book and feel as real as you or I, but it's also very world driven. Victorian London surrounded me the whole time I was reading, I was there amongst the old buildings, breathing in the tainted air and passing the people on the street like I was one of them. To me, this was a story that I lived rather than a story read. Even though there is a mystery running throughout, and of course I wanted to know who the guilty party was, it was the experience of living and breathing in Victorian London and my love for Jem's character that made this an outstanding read.

Quite unexpectedly, Beloved Poison is one of my favourite reads of 2016. I never thought I would ever say that about a historical fiction book. I can't wait to get my hands on the next instalment!

Beloved Poison is going to be a hard book to follow. I'm going to have to choose my next read very carefully.

Highly recommended.

Facebook | Twitter | G+ | BookLikes

text 2016-11-08 16:46
Beloved Poison reading update: 400/400 pages read
Beloved Poison (Jem Flockhart) - E. S. Thomson

Quite unexpectedly, This book is now one of my favourite reads of 2016. I never thought I would ever say that about a historical fiction book.

Review to come!

text 2016-11-06 04:28
Beloved Poison reading update: 28/400 pages read
Beloved Poison (Jem Flockhart) - E. S. Thomson

That made me cringe. I don't have the bits mentioned but omg, why would you do that?!

text 2016-10-11 23:06
Horrorology Reading Update 105/416 pages read
Horrorology - Clive Barker,Stephen Jones

I'll do my usual and re-post this as an update, rating each short individually, then put it all into a review when I've finished the collection. I really hope it picks up because the first two are rather disappointing.

Horrorology is a collection of horror shorts featuring stories from Clive Barker, Robert Shearman, Michael Marshall Smith, Pat Cadigan, Mark Samuels, Joanne Harris, Muriel Gray, Kim Newman, Ramsey Campbell, Reggie Oliver, Angela Slatter and Lisa Tuttle.

In the Library of the Damned, hidden away amongst that vast depository of ancient wisdom, there exists a certain bookcase where the most decadent, the most blasphemous of tomes sit upon a dusty shelf.

And amongst those titles - that should never be named - there is one volume that is the most terrible, the most hideous of them all.That book is the Lexicon of Fear.

But, long ago, some of its pages were ripped from the binding and spirited away by a lowly student of the ancient science of Horrorology, who was determined the secrets contained therein would one day be shared with the world.

And now that day has come. These are the words that comprise the very language of horror itself, and the tales they tell are not for the fainthearted. But be warned: once you have read them, there is no turning back. Soon, you too will know the true meanings of fear...

----------------------------------------

01 - Accursed by Robert Shearman - When you believe that you have been given or inherited special powers which can be used to cause harm to others. Such as circus clowns... - 2 Stars.

Not a fan of this one. It drags and I'm not really sure what the author was trying to say. There's obviously some underlying message but whatever it was I wasn't getting it at all.

02 - Afraid by Clive Barker - When you realise that the person you love is not what you thought they were. In fact, they may not even be a person at all... - 1 Star.

What? Three and a bit pages of non-story. That was so disappointing.

03 - Afterlife by Michael Marshall Smith - Sometimes, before you die, you need to have learned how to live... - 2 Stars.

This story was drawn out and the ending was very cliche and cheesy. This is not horror.

04 - Chilling by Pat Cadigan - A chilling cold that goes so deep that it has the power to affect the seasons themselves... - 1 Star.

This was the worst yet. So much boring dialogue and unappealing characters. I lost interest and couldn't even force myself to finish it. 1 star is being generous.

Facebook | Twitter | G+ | BookLikes