logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: harris-joanne
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-10-24 18:06
Magic Realism Square
A Cat, a Hat, and a Piece of String - Joanne Harris

I didn't enjoy this collection as much as Harris' first.  The first and last stories are the best and make nice bookends.

The story about loss of a child is good as well.  But the others, I felt a distant from, which is strange because I usually don't feel that way about Harris' work.  She always feels like a very intimate writer too me.

Maybe because there wasn't much food in this one.

I do like the use of characters from other stories, and there is more than one tale that feels like a good BBC story.

review 2019-07-11 18:45
Chocolat #4
The Strawberry Thief (Chocolat #4) - Joanne Harris

The Strawberry Thief returns us to the village of  Lansquenet-sous-Tannes and everyone’s favorite chocolate maker.  Vivane’s Anouk is in Paris, but she, Rosette, and Roux are in Lansquenet.  And then Rosette inherits some land.  This doesn’t sit well with the man’s daughter or entirely with Roux.  And there is also the question of the tattoo artist.

It’s an interesting Chocolat novel because you don’t really like Viviane and Roux here.  You understand Viviane and her fears, Reynard and his, but Roux is almost dislikable here.

The book soars when Rosette and Reynaud take over.  It isn’t bad with Viviane but it is Rosette and Reynaud that make the book.  This does not mean the book feels like a book simply written to make money while flogging a dead story.  The plot also contains issues that have been surfacing since the Lollipop Shoes.  There is also far more magic.

In many ways, the theme of the novel is letting go, moving on, but also coming back.  Which sounds strange but is pretty much what life is.

review 2019-04-17 02:59
The Gospel of Loki - Joanne M. Harris
The Gospel of Loki - Joanne Harris

The purchase of this book was the product of a perfect storm (or a genius idea). Thor had just hit theaters. Amazon put this book on its daily deals list for under $1. I had to buy it. Fast forward nine years to where I have finally read it.

It is hard for me to see this book as a novel. It read more like a collection of short stories narrated by the infamous Loki. Every one of those stories ending with "But I'll get back to that". Loki never gets back to it.

The way the story was put together never gave me a real sense of Loki. Sure he was the Loki that we've all heard about but he was never anything more. I was hoping for a book that's about Loki, we'd get a little depth and personality. Loki is one dimensional.

That being said, I'm intrigued enough to pick up the second book. The way this novel has ended sparks hope that I may get a more fleshed out Loki.

I feel it's important to note, that I have yet to absolutely love an e-book. There is just something about an e-book that doesn't make the connection for me. I've even tried reading my beloved Harry Potter books in e-book format and I just don't feel the same way I do when I'm holding a physical book in my hand. Am I weird? Yes. That's not the point. But honestly, I can't be the only one who feels this way about e-books. Can I?

review 2018-09-08 00:00
Peaches for Father Francis
Peaches for Father Francis - Joanne Harris This is the first of Harris' books I've read. I had difficulty at the beginning because of her sentence structure, but once I found the rhythm of her writing, and her protagonist's voice, I began to enjoy her attention to detail. For me, this was a "lose yourself in it" book, and I've ordered the other two in the series. If you've spent time in rural France, or have Muslim friends, much of the book will ring true for you, as it did me.

This was like a mini-vacation, and I recommend the book.
review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-08-24 14:12
Reading Anniversaries & First-in-a-Series — May Edition

Originally published at midureads.wordpress.com on August 24, 2018.

2017

18665033

The Gospel of Loki by Joanne Harris

My review said it all but if it didn’t, check out my love for Loki here!

38447

The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood

My review can be found here.

2015

The Percy Jackson series remains a favorite. Here’s why

2012

297929

Urban Shaman by C. E. Murphy

My review of this series is here.

7945523

Agent to the Stars by John Scalzi

Loved the book.

The humor was just my style-the way the Yherajk communicated was a hoot.

What I also liked was that even though the MC was a smartass, he wasn’t made out to be a jaded guy or an agent who took advantage of other people to survive.

I was expecting a romance between Tom and Michell but Miranda was a far better choice.

The book wasn’t too long but just the right length which always wins points with me. Joshua was my favorite character.

Loved how the ending/unveiling was handled, as well as how the whole Holocaust movie was dealt with.