logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: head-trip
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
review 2014-07-12 15:37
Don't Let Me Get Me
The Panopticon - Jenni Fagan

I’m just a girl with a shark’s heart.

Ming-fucking-mong.

I don’t necessarily know what that means (can anyone really trust urbandictionary nowadays?) or if I actually understood what Anais was talking about half the time but if there’s one thing I’m certain, my cuss vocabulary expanded a few pages more thanks to this book. And ming-fucking-mong is a new favorite.

Sometimes, you can just tell from the cover/title combo. Hard as we may try to not judge books by their covers, we do. And this book looks pretty intimidating. Any of The Panopticon’s edition appears to promise a lobotomy in the form of distressing accounts, evocative, visceral prose and hours of guessing and second guessing whether you’re understanding things right and what it says about you.

And since I’m staring so intensely at my screen right now it would’ve called the authorities if it could, I think this delivered on those promises, maybe more. It varies for every reader of course, but Fagan managed to satisfy some latent fragments in my personality. Unfortunately it also left gaping holes of dissatisfaction from my end. Because this was not an easy adventure, structurally and thematically, to get into and the emotional payoff tepid, murky and this side of confusing. So overall...

show activity (+)
review 2014-05-21 14:20
The Optimists, The Pessimists and the Bystanders In Between.
Then and Always: A Novel - Dani Atkins

THE HOOK

“For fans of One DayWhat Alice Forgot and Sliding Doors”. Well I wasn’t exactly wowed by One Day but while I’m also not a fan of anything Gwyneth Paltrow, I was quite familiar and intrigued with the premise of Sliding Doors. I think I stopped reading the blurb after that and just requested this automatically.

So one can imagine my surprise with how Then and Alwaysseemed to be a sleepy Adult Contemporary Romance one chapter playing with sci-fi, paranormal possibilities the next while wallowing too long with the usual suspects of cliched tropes and triggers. It was a very conflicting reading experience for me until the final chapter which made sense in one level, albeit a little manipulative in another.

But then I was hardly emotionally invested with these characters so I guess… no harm done?

review 2013-10-22 00:00
The Head Trip - Jeff Warren DNF. Hope to return to this one. Maybe it's just my mood but can't wade through all his words right now.
review 2013-03-07 00:00
The Head Trip: Adventures on the Wheel of Consciousness - Jeff Warren Daniel Ingram hosted him (NYT 12/12), recommends this book
review 2012-07-08 16:57
Head Trip
Head Trip - Jack Eadon A fantastic and riveting read based around the formation of super twins, their lives, their emotions and their relationships, not just with each other but with their peers as well. The authors description of how super twins are conceived is unreal along with his ideas that before we are born that our nature, ideas and persona are formed and shaped in the womb. The relationship that grows from these ideas are carried throughout the story and actually make you think, how do we treat our siblings, children and parents and how our reactions can affect others. This book had me enthralled by the writing and characters involved and you easily find yourself getting caught up in their trials and tribulations. The experiences and ordeals the super twins are subject to are the same as any child will encounter as they grow up and this adds extra spice to the story. Having experienced myself with having two sons who are growing up, the book helped me to understand how they feel and what they are going through. As this is book one of the series, I am looking forward to the rest of the series and will be added to my list of authors to look out for. Strongly recommend this book and author.