logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: hiking
Load new posts () and activity
Like Reblog Comment
show activity (+)
review 2020-05-29 13:38
Book Review - Hiking the Grand Mesa: A Clementine the Rescue Dog Story by Kyle Torke and Barbara Torke
Hiking the Grand Mesa: A Clementine the Rescue Dog Story - Kyle Torke,barbara torke

Our book review
How do you get a message across to a wide audience on the vital importance of how a
rescue dogs can improve and enhance your life?  You produce a story about your family's journeys into nature and illustrating the words with beautiful pictures.

A well written story about the author's knowledge of the Dobies and what animals, plants and secrets they hold. This book struck a chord with me as in our busy lives how often do we stop to pause and take in what is around us? After reading this book and adopting the author's message I have visited garden centres to pick out colourful plants to attract birds, bees and butterflies as well as increasing our bird feeding station and every morning / night I've been looking out to listen to the sounds, smell the air and make a note of any newcomers into the garden which has recently included the squirrels returning after a couple of years.

The illustrations and easy to read words show us what we would miss if we did not take our time whilst out walking. The story is enhanced by the importance of sharing family time (without any digital devices) and how much fun and adventure you can have by following your dogs and using your imagination. It took me back to when my own children were very young and we spent a lot of time walking in the English Lake District and at weekends at the local coast beneath the cliffs, letting the children chase their dog and make up their one stories about the fossils we found and what creatures they used to be.

Even though this book is about the Dobies anyone who likes to be outdoors and needs the inspiration to do something different can read this book, select a rescue dog and head to a new place and just watch the fun and imagination of your children or even your own take over. Who will get to the top of the hill first?

Credit to the author and illustrator for bringing the outside world and all of its miracles to life, and it would be nice to see if you also change your lifestyle and just maybe like myself rekindle your love of nature.

Our rating
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Like Reblog Comment
show activity (+)
review 2019-03-30 01:40
Totally insensitive
Notes from a Small Island - Bill Bryson

Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson chronicles the walking expedition that the author took across Great Britain right before he moved back to the United States. I loved how his enjoyment of the countryside (particularly Yorkshire) came through in his beautiful descriptions. If he had only stuck to his descriptions of the idyllic countryside and the interesting monuments and things that he saw there I would have enjoyed this book. Instead he interjected his beliefs/prejudices/stereotypes about different groups of people and it really turned me off of the entire book. The first note that I wrote after reading this was simply "I don't like Bill Bryson."

What he poked fun of (a shortlist):

• fat people (fat shaming a family at a restaurant and staring so much they moved tables)
  • Asperger's (a trainspotter widower he met was too excited about trains apparently)
  • Lewis Carroll (described him as a "poor perverted mathematician" when pedophilia was only rumored never proven)
  • Parkinson's (need I say more?)

The only good things that came out of this is that I'll probably visit Warwick Castle and Snowshill Manor in the future...and I'll never read anything else from Bill Bryson.

For another viewpoint, check out the critique of A Walk in the Woods by Mary Jean Ronan Herzog entitled "Including Appalachian Stereotypes in Multicultural Education: An Analysis of Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods" in the Journal of Appalachian Studies Vol. 5 Issue 1.

What's Up Next: HiLo: Then Everything Went Wrong by Judd Winick

What I'm Currently Reading: Excellent Books for Early and Eager Readers by Kathleen T. Isaacs

Source: readingfortheheckofit.blogspot.com