logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: history-biography
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-08-22 05:04
Just a cursory introduction
The History of Spain: Land on a Crossroa... The History of Spain: Land on a Crossroad - The Great Courses,The Great Courses,Joyce E. Salisbury,Joyce E. Salisbury

It is very hard to go very deep into such a long history in such a short period of lecture time but Professor Salisbury has done a good job providing an overview of the country's history and culture and how it fits into the rest of Europe and the "New World." If you are planning to travel in Spain, this is a good overview of things.

However, she is a historian and not a linguist and her pronunciation of many key words in both Spanish and English was off-putting to say the least. Isadore is NOT Ice-adore by anyone I know, including a number of gentlemen who bore the name--even in Spanish the I does not sound like the I in ice but like I in machine There is no T in Cordoba, neither in English or Spanish. The parliament of Spain is called the Cortes--with the accent on the first syllable and a a hissy S at the end not a buzzy Z or the lispy TH -- and not like the conquistador Cortez. Fingernails on a blackboard.

review 2018-11-16 04:05
Red. Blue. Green. No Matter What Your Politics...
American Dialogue: The Founders and Us - Arthur Morey,Joseph J. Ellis

...you have to read this book. Joseph J. Ellis explains it all. In his clear and concise style, he dives deeply into four issues that have plagued our nation since our founding-- racism/slavery, economic inequality, American imperialism and the doctrine of original intent--explaining why these four issues have brought us to where we are today and how they have shaped our current political quagmire.

review 2016-08-04 15:51
I like my history spoon fed
Turning Points in Modern History - The Great Courses,The Great Courses,Professor Vejas Gabriel Liulevicius

It goes to show that history is not always about upon whose heads rest the crowns and sometimes isn't about what happened but about what didn't happen.

I give this one four stars. He's easy to listen to and the lectures are well organized.

review 2016-07-16 18:58
This one goes in the re-read pile
Bunker Hill: A City, a Siege, a Revolution - Nathaniel Philbrick,Chris Sorensen

My Shakespeare buddies recommended this one and when it turned up as a daily deal, I snapped it up.

It is well-written and, except for the fact that he can't pronounced some of the local town names, well narrated. I am going to have to re-read it so that more of the story can sink in. Thank goodness I am not being tested on it.

I give this one four and half stars and I am off to see what other titles he has on Audible.

review 2016-04-08 00:07
Destiny and Power: The American Odyssey of George Herbert Walker Bush - Jon Meacham,Paul Michael

Very readable. Covers a lot of ground in a relatively short period of time.