logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: html
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
review 2017-07-07 19:28
Get Coding!: Learn HTML, CSS & JavaScrip... Get Coding!: Learn HTML, CSS & JavaScript & Build a Website, App & Game - Young Rewired State

For any computer wiz kid or inspiring to be, this book is a great addition to their library. Simplified information that it can almost be considered a dummy guide for adults as well, lol. A number of hands on projects that help to reinforce what they've learned and just over all a lot of fun to read through.

I received a copy in exchange for an honest review.

review 2017-06-13 00:00
Get Coding! Learn HTML, CSS, and JavaScript and Build a Website, App, and Game
Get Coding! Learn HTML, CSS, and JavaScr... Get Coding! Learn HTML, CSS, and JavaScript and Build a Website, App, and Game - Young Rewired State I love the idea behind Get Coding! Learn HTML, CSS & JavaScript and build a website, app & game. I think the developers can really make this work. The 'helping of the Professor', the slow reveal of the 'story', and other elements combine to make learning feel a bit less like learning and a bit more like fun. And even though there is good bit of repetition of typing code in the exercises (as there should be) it never really gets boring.

However, there are some problems with the coding that need to be fixed. Carets missing, photos named wrong, etc. It's little stuff, but for a subject where one little line can stop everything from working, it's very important that it all be on point. Some of this could simply be because it's an ARC copy, but this is one of those cases where the errors prevented me from being able to give an accurate assessment of the book's ability to teach children to code, so it's a bit of a problem. I debated on whether to mention this, but ultimately I decided to because this is not like a regular ARC where a misspelled word or a missing punctuation mark might be annoying, but it's not a big deal. Instead, it halts the whole exercise in it's tracks if you've messed something up. I think I found them only because I went through the exercises one by one, just like a child learning from the book would do.

None of the other reviews on Goodreads I've seen mention the problems, but I double and triple-checked myself as well as copied and pasted the code directly from the website in some instances and still came up with errors unless I inserted things like the colon between 'Float" and "left/right" as is continuously absent in the book.

Overall, a fantastic idea and one I hope to see replicated for other projects in the future. Solid premise, great layout, clear text. All good stuff! Just a few errors to fix.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from Netgalley for review consideration.
review 2013-04-06 09:41
HTML for the World Wide Web with XHTML and CSS, Fifth Edition
HTML for the World Wide Web with XHTML and CSS (Visual QuickStart Guide) - Elizabeth Castro HTML for the World Wide Web with XHTML and CSS: Visual QuickStart Guide, Fifth Edition by Elizabeth Castro (?)
review 2013-02-02 00:00
Head First HTML and CSS - 'Elisabeth Robson', 'Eric Freeman' Great beginners explanation of HTML and CSS.
review 2012-09-12 00:00
HTML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide (6th Edition)
HTML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide - Chuck Musciano,Bill Kennedy Easy to understand and easy to use. Great Guide!