logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: i-know-that-feel
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-08-22 19:32
Feel the Heat - Kate Meader

Lili DeLuca really wants to get her masters in Fine Arts and pursue her dream job of photography but she is stuck in limbo.  Between helping take care of her mom who had breast cancer and helping her dad run the family's Italian restaurant, Lili is nervous to make the next move.

When Lili's sister, Cara brings her work back to Chicago, it causes many interesting feelings inside Lili.  Enter Jack Kilroy....hot, British, chef extraordinaire!  It seems Jack is going to challenge Lili's dad to cooking contest.  Tired of living her life in limbo, Lili decides to stop playing her life safe and hits on Jack.  Too bad for once in his life Jack has sworn off one-night-stands so he suggests a slower, getting to know each other...dating approach.  Of course this demoralizes Lili because she thinks since she is not the tall, slender type of woman that Jack is just not interested in her.  During the time Lili and Jack are together, it becomes very obvious that there is more heat between the two of them then in the kitchen!  Too bad one of those moments makes it to the internet and causes a huge sensation!

It will take a huge leap of faith from both Lili and Jack for these two to find their happy ending but thankfully they do!

I just adored Jack.  He was just sick and tired of everyone treating him like a piece of meat.  He really just loves to cook and longs for that simpler time in his life.  Lili was the type of person who always wants to please everyone.  Instead of sticking up for herself, she tends to get taken advantage of.  Together these just really balance each other out well and I really enjoyed their love story.

review 2019-02-24 04:14
Feel the Heat
Feel the Heat - Kate Meader

Lili's love is photography, but her father disapproves.  She works as the manager for her family's restaurant.  Jack is a chef/TV personality who had a bad breakup and has a bit of a reputation.  Lili's older sister, Cara, is his producer.  He has a new show in the works.

While I liked both Jack and Lili, each had their own Issues that I found annoying after awhile.  There was too much back and forth; just get over yourselves already!  The reminded (geez, my feeble brain might forget!) too many times of Lili's generous curves and love of food.  Lili, while likable, was too much of a doormat for her father/family.

The last couple of chapters were excellent, but it was too little too late for me.

Lili's sister Cara's book is next and I'm not going to read it.  Maybe if I had liked this more, but I simply didn't like Cara.  In this book, she comes across as shallow and self absorbed.  Not impressed and no desire what so ever to read her story.

review 2019-02-03 23:49
The Way I Feel - Janan Cain

A cute picture book about emotions and how they can affect people. This could be helpful for children that may need help on emotions and what they are feeling. I wish that this book would include what to do with your emotions, especially the negative ones, but it can be good for identifying emtions that children may not understand.

Lexile: NP

Reading Level: Pre K- 2nd

review 2019-01-15 15:44
Self help or self destruction?
Help Me! - Marianne Power
Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway - Susan Jeffers
Money, A Love Story: Untangling Your Finances, Creating the Life You Really Want, and Living Your Purpose - Kate Northrup
The Secret - Rhonda Byrne
Fuck It: The Ultimate Spiritual Way - John C. Parkin
Earth Angels - Doreen Virtue
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change - Stephen R. Covey
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment - Eckhart Tolle
Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead - Brené Brown
You Can Heal Your Life - Louise L. Hay

Marianne decides to explore 12 popular self-help books over 12 months at the beginning of one year and discovers that they're not always helpful.

If you're like me you've read a lot of self-help books and occasionally taken a few pieces of advice from them before inertia and time spent doing other things moves you away from the book.  I keep meaning to do a Kondo-esque tidy but it would require more of my energy than I'm willing to devote to it.  I do question if it sparks joy of things I'm putting away and I've removed a few things from my house as I'm asking that question.  (I also remind myself that I deserve better than the things that don't work on my skin or in my life etc.).  I also listen to the excellent By the Book Podcast and often agree with a lot of their points about the ones I've read.

The Books she chooses are: Feel the Fear and do it anyway; Money a love story; The Secret; F**k it: the ultimate spiritual way; Angels with Doreen Virtue; 7 Habits of Highly effective people; Power of Now; Get the Guy; Daring Greatly and You can heal your life.  She strugles with depression and becoming a bit of a self-centred ass for a while and all the time her very Irish mammy trys to steer her on a good path.

Like me she finds things that resonate in books and sometimes she obsesses a bit and I couldn't abandon my life for a year like she did to look inward but by the end she's less broken, mostly by connecting with the people who are real in her life.

review 2018-10-06 03:15
The Way You Make Me Feel
The Way You Make Me Feel - Maurene J. Hi... The Way You Make Me Feel - Maurene J. Hinds

If there's one thing I can say about Maurene Goo with confidence is that her writing improves with each book that she publishes. Since You Asked was decent, not great, but it wasn't the worst thing out there. But with every book her writing gets better, it's more show and less tell, the flow is better, the pace is better, the characters get more developed.

This was a light read and I went through it fairly quickly considering I had school and seven other books I was reading at the same time. I really liked the pace of the story, I felt it went by fast enough that it didn't drag. The writing was decent but I think the main focus of this is the characters.

Clara Shin is not a very likeable character in the beginning. I'll admit she got on my nerves, I wouldn't have been friends with pre-character development her. But there are also plenty of people like her out there so while I wasn't a fan of hers at the start, it was okay. She didn't really care about other people, or think her decisions through, she constantly did things in an attempt to seem cool even though she didn't realize it at the time. She was constantly acting out and getting into trouble.

Her character development throughout the book was my favourite thing, I guess you could kind of call it a coming of age story? Her character development was all very natural and a direct result of the environment that she found herself in. For once she actually stopped and listened to her arch enemy and got to know her and understand her. The bonding that Clara had with Rose made her realize that being genuine and not caring about what people thought about you was better than constantly doing something to be cool. She finally realized how tiring it was to constantly distance herself from everything and act as if nothing bothered her and that it was okay to get excited about things and be sincere and vulnerable. And she finally realized where all of her need to cause trouble came from and talked to Rose about it and sorted it all out with her.

The ending where she realized that she didn't want to be like her mom was really good despite the fact that it was pretty rushed. She became a lot more sympathetic and understanding and mature. So yeah, character development was everything.

I also really liked the relationships in the book and how they evolved. It was obvious that Clara had more in common with Rose than with her actual friends and that Rose was a lot easier to be around than her usual goon squad (which I agree were pretty annoying, I felt like I was babysitting toddlers sometimes). I liked the friendship between Rose and Clara and how it grew to be healthy from their initial hatred of each other.

I liked the romance with Hamlet too, there was no beating around the bush with it but it progressed so nicely and the two of them were so sweet around each other. Hamlet is just in general a really nice guy, he was a perfect example that guys who are ACTUALLY nice guys don't finish last. He was kind for the sake of being kind, he was genuine because there was no point in trying to please people or impress people. When you grow up being the disliked kid, one good thing comes out of it sometimes and it's the realization that you can't please everyone so you might as well do what makes you happy. He was honest and open about his feelings with Clara. And I especially liked how him telling Clara that he loved her (spoiler I guess) was handled. Clara admitting that it's not something that she can say because it's not something that she fully understands or has experienced towards anyone except her dad.

So overall, it was really cute, a light read, and I definitely recommend it.

(I also didn't realize the scene where Clara cooks vegetables or something on the same surface that she cooked bacon was such a big deal, and by big deal I mean to the point of people being triggered. I get disliking Clara because of it, especially because in some cultures and religions pork isn't eaten for various reasons but I thought the getting triggered bit was a bit of a stretch. Then again I'm not an expert on triggers or what kind of experience a person would have to be triggered by reading about something being cooked on the same surface of pork without it being washed. Obviously every person is different and if that's enough for you to hate the whole book then like so be it and all but,,,,,,,it also happens all the time in real life without any of us knowing it.)