logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: incredible
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-10-19 22:43
The Incredible Book Eating Boy
The Incredible Book-Eating Boy - Oliver Jeffers

What a cute book! It was an accident really, the way this all started. Henry wasn't paying attention when he took his first bite, it was one single word out of a book. Henry enjoyed it so much that he continued eating words until eventually, he was eating whole books! Henry got so good at eating books that instead of taking the books apart, Henry was swallowing the books whole! This part made me smile as I thought Henry must be related to the, "I know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a ...." as Henry was beginning to swallow some pretty big books!

This new talent that Henry had discovered was also beneficial for him too. He discovered a reward for all this eating and this is where he should have had some self-control! Henry should have enjoyed his new life and it's perks but nope, Henry had to shoot for the stars.

Another great story by Oliver Jeffers!

review 2019-12-30 21:25
Light and Entertaining Overview
The Making of You: The Incredible Journey from Cell to Human - Vestre, Katharina

The Making of You by Katharina Vestre would be a good resource for parents and educators of young people looking for a fun but straightforward answer to the inevitable question about how babies develop in utero.  Adults will also appreciate the light and non-controversial approach taken by Vestre, along with her pleasant colloquial tone and personal asides.  Also included are some schematic drawings that depict various developmental stages as an accompaniment to the text, but these are not as precise or detailed as those that would appear in a more academic work. Comprehension of complex topics like genetics and biological chemistry is aided by the inclusion of interesting trivia and riveting scientific discoveries-particularly those that draw comparisons of human evolution with that of insects and other animals. The book’s short format and humor helps to sustain interest and encourages discussion about what can go awry without becoming overly dramatic or didactic. The Making of You is far from comprehensive, however, and can be somewhat confusing when it vacillates between sections that use either a chronological or a systems approach.  Some of Vestre’s anecdotes and asides may also require translation for an American audience who may not be familiar with some of her cultural references (eg. dummy=pacifier). Overall, Vestre’s simple approach and obvious enthusiasm provide a nice alternative for those seeking a quick overview or broad introduction to a fascinating subject.

Thanks to the author, Greystone Books and Library Thing for an advance copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review.

review 2019-12-13 00:00
Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage
Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage - Alfred Lansing A captivating and inspiring tale of exploration, human endurance and survival.

In 1914 Sir Ernest Shackleton and a crew of 27 men set sail for the South Atlantic on board a ship called the Endurance. The expedition was to cross the Antarctic overland. In October of 1915 the ship became trapped and crushed in Ice and the crew now half a continent away from their intended base became castaways in one of the most hostile regions in the world.

I have had this book on my TBR list for quite awhile and am so glad I finally got around to reading it. I knew a little about the expedition due to the fact that one of the Crew members was an Irish Man called Tom Creen and I would have heard stories of his expeditions down the years but never actually read a book.

This is a slow burner of a read but at the same time compelling and intense. What amazing courage and stamina these men had, they must have had nerves and bodies of steel and withstand so much.
Extremely well written and while not an easy read it certainly had me on the edge of my seat.

I listened to his one on audible and the narrator Simon Prebble was excellent, although I cant help wondering if I missed photos, maps etc in the printed copy which I always find adds so much to a book.

However there is an amazing documentary filmed and photographed by one of the crew on You Tube which I have linked below.

my link text

Highly recommend this one to readers who enjoy adventure stories.
review 2019-10-09 00:13
The Incredible Crime
The Incredible Crime: A Cambridge Mystery - Lois Austen-Leigh

The Incredible Crime was just that - unbelievable.

The plot was utterly ridiculous. For much of the book I was left wondering if there was a crime at all because there was no real plot. All we had was a CID inspector mentioning to our main character, a young woman and daughter of The Master of one of the colleges, that he suspects a drug smuggling operation to be based in Cambridge.

I still have no real idea why the CID inspector mentions this to our intrepid main character.

I also have no idea why it took 80% of the book to get the plot moving.

There was so much stuffing and distraction by a romance sub-plot that the mystery took a backseat until the very end of the book. And I mean the last four or five chapters out of thirty-two.

And as for the romance sub-plot... Gaaah.

I've never been a fan of The Taming of the Shrew.

(spoiler show)
review 2018-12-26 11:43
not for me
The Adventures of Holly White and the Incredible Sex Machine - Krissy Kneen

Nick snuggles in his father’s lap. His father is telling his favorite story the one about Dr. reich and the cloudbuster. Than Nick is put to bed by his father. There is a point in a party when an alchemical transformation occurs. The party is irretrievably galvanized with the insistence of desire. At the tipping point of the particular party Holly realized she was short of breath. Holly went out on the balcony to get some air than went down the stairs to the dewy grass. The Robinsons were real rich, all Holly’s friends comfortable but the Robinsons were rich. Holly was a little drunk. Than Holly went to the bathhouse. She gazed out at the glow of the water. Than there was a sudden sound. A couple came in who thought they were alone. Holly watched them kiss. She should give them their privacy but she was stuck fast. They were kissing in a way her and Jack had never kissed. Holly had a terrible secret. Whenever she felt desire there was a unearthly glow from inside her body that marked her as different, alien, deformed. Holly knows she s a freak . There was something wrong with Holly, something abnormal about her at moments of arousal. She touched the ring on her wedding finger, three of her friends wore the same ring with the words True Love Waits engraved on  the side. She wondered what Jack would think on their wedding night and her glow in the dark private parts.

I could not get into this book. It was just too odd for me. I am sure there are others who will really enjoy this book but just wasn’t for me.