logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: its-tax-season
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-08-13 23:46
Yesterday's Gone: Season Three - David W. Wright,Sean Platt

If this were a TV show it would begin with "for Mature Audiences Only".

That being said I enjoyed this book,parts of it take place on this earth and other parts jump to an alternate earth with same characters.That can be a little confusing at first but once you get to know the characters it's easier to distinguish between the two.

Now what the book is about is aliens that take over the human body kind of like Invasion of The Body Snatchers except that after a while they break out of the human skin.The book refers to this as The Darkness,or something evil.

This is always pretty graphic and the monsters that come out are not pretty.

But the character development alone is what keeps me in this series.

review 2018-08-09 23:12
Go Aerin!
Swim Season - Marianne Sciucco

I really wasn't expecting to enjoy this Young Adult book about competitive high school swimming as much as I did, but it grabbed me right from the start and didn't let up for 590 pages (or more accurately, 14hrs 43mins of Audible listening). The narrator, Evelyn Eibhlin, was brilliant and the issues covered by the book were deeper than just competitive swimming.

Aerin Keane is starting her third high school and has signed up for the swim team. In her previous schools she was a prize-winning swimmer and she knows the pressures that involves. She decides to swim for release of tension only and not to let on that she is any more than a mediocre swimmer, just good enough to ensure a place in the team.

It's a friendly team with a great team spirit and for the first time she begins to feel accepted and to have real friends.

She keeps her family life to herself and gives away little when she is asked why she's living in a new town with her 'Aunt' Maggie.

As the competition intensifies, the truth about Aerin's situation begins to reveal itself and not everyone takes it well.

I really enjoyed the way this novel built the tension around Aerin's story and how she reacted to the inevitable bullying and eventually rose to the ultimate challenge.

The characters were excellently drawn and even though there were a good number of them, I didn't lose track at all.

For anyone who knows any competitive swimmers, this is a must-read, for the rest of us, well, it's a must-read too!

I don't suppose the author would consider a sequel???

review 2018-07-23 21:56
A Poisoned Season / Tasha Alexander
A Poisoned Season - Tasha Alexander

London's social season is in full swing, and Victorian aristocracy is atwitter over a certain gentleman who claims to be the direct descendant of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette. Adding to their fascination with all things French, an audacious cat burglar is systematically stealing valuable items that once belonged to the ill–fated queen.

But things take a dark turn. The owner of one of the pilfered treasures is found murdered after the theft is reported in the newspapers, and the mysterious thief develops a twisted obsession with Lady Emily Ashton. It takes all of Lady Emily's wit and perseverance to unmask her stalker and ferret out the murderer, while faced with a brewing scandal that threatens both her reputation and her romance with the dashing Colin Hargreaves.

What a lovely discovery! I’m very impressed with Tasha Alexander on the basis of this book. She will be a key-note guest at a writers’ conference that I’m attending next month and I try to read a little something by each guest before the event to help me know who I want to hear more from. Our public library didn’t have the first volume of her Lady Emily series, but this second book managed to allude to enough of the plot of the first book to get me into the loop and able to appreciate A Poisoned Season.

This is a historical mystery with a good splash of romance. Unlike so many current Victorian lady detective books, there are no paranormal events in this one, although Lady Emily does end up with one rather mysterious admirer. Her mother is still a thorn in her side—Emily thinks that, as a widow, she had the social license to remain single for a while and carve out her own place in society. Her mother could not agree less, and is already determinedly pushing her widowed daughter towards a second marriage. Thankfully, Colin Hargreaves seems like just the man for the job—now he must convince the independent Emily of that.

I will definitely be continuing on with this series—I even hope to read the next book before attending the conference in mid-August. Fingers crossed that the public library delivers it in a timely fashion!

review 2018-07-17 21:39
The Season of Silver Linings - Christine Nolfi

Oh, those Sirens.    They are always having their noses in each other and anyone else that crosses their paths business.  Yet, they have the biggest, most open, and well-meaning hearts ever.   In The Season of Silver Linings we find them planning Linnie’s wedding to Daniel and matchmaking Jada and Phillip.

The wedding plan was difficult.   I am not sure she meant to be but Linnie wasn’t an easy bride and she was a very busy bride who seemed to not be able to make a decision to save her life but when she finally did make a decision nothing could sway her.    I loved seeing Fancy, Phillip’s young daughter, push her boundaries, make things interesting, and put her own twist on being the flower girl.   The fashion show of picking out her outfit was amazing and so heartwarming.   These ladies dote on her but still manage to keep her in control, most of the time.

The matchmaking of Phillip and Jada was difficult.   Phillip is recently widowed after his wife committed suicide leaving him as a single dad to a young, precocious little girl.    The wife, Bodi, was a friend of Jada’s.     There is so much more to this story but you need to read the story to learn the rest.    But this friendship, potential relationship, was fun to watch develop.    To see them struggle with the past, move forward towards their future, and find out if they can be more than friends to each other.   While I never like to some anyone struggle but I liked that Jada was struggling.   She didn’t just jump into a relationship without having her eyes open and understanding that what could happen with her and Phillip would also affect Fancy.

Christine Nolfi has an amazing series of books and The Season of Silver Linings in the perfect continuation of the story.      While this is part of a series, the characters will be familiar but each book has a beginning and an ending.   There isn’t a cliffhanger, there isn’t a need to know what happens in the other books before I read this one.   Each book can be read alone.

review 2018-07-17 17:25
The Season of Silver Linings
The Season of Silver Linings - Christine Nolfi

The focus of this third book in the popular Sweet Lake Series is on Jada Brooks who is a pastry chef at the Wayfair Inn that she restored along with her friends Linnie and Cat. Linnie is getting married and Cat is a newlywed and they are both focused on other things. Jada is in a relationship of sorts with Philip Kettering. She is reluctant to take the relationship to the next level as Philip was kind of wild one in their school days. Philip has a young daughter that Jada has really gotten attached to and vice versa.
Phillip's deceased wife committed suicide and Jada was with her and she carries the guilt of not being able to save her.

An elderly woman arrives at the Inn asking a lot of questions about Jada and this puts Jada on edge as she does not know what the woman is after and she would rather keep the past in the past. Questions on both sides culminated in answers that Jada never expected.

I read the first in the series but not the second, which is ok because they are all stand-alone novels. I enjoyed both of the books I read, the characters are believable and the friendship of the three friends is a sweet thing to behold. A series that has the reader wanting to read more about each of the women portrayed. I think if you love a book that is a sweet charming read, then this series is for you for sure!