logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: jackson-pearce-book-review
Load new posts () and activity
Like Reblog Comment
show activity (+)
review 2017-03-29 22:06
.Fathomless Book Review.
Fathomless - Jackson Pearce

This review can be originally be found at MissKatiEllen.

"Celia is a harbourer of memories, knowing what has already been always seemed so insignificant- until she meets Lo. Lo's memory is drowning in the vastness of the ocean. She's transforming into a nymph, an ocean girl, a mermaid- terms far too pretty for the soulless monster she's becoming."

I cannot stress how much I've been enjoying this series, at this point I would definitely recommend reading the previous two books. In Sweetly it didn't matter if you hadn't read Sisters Red, but there is a thread linking these books together. And it's that tiny thread from Sweetly that becomes the main subject of this book. Ocean girls.

From reading the full blurb I thought this was going to be a love triangle, and with a sigh I accepted. The fact that the previous two books weren't like that meant I could get over the love triangle thing. I can gladly say no love triangle, these girls have their own lives, own paths and their interest is Jude is different too.

Celia is one of three sisters that possesses a gift, seeing past, present and future. It's not that Celia doesn't want to embrace her gift, she doesn't want to be like her sisters. Using it for their own gain, getting boys to fawn all over them. Plus what use can she be knowing someone's past in an instant?? But then Lo appears and she finally feels useful. She can help this strange, and slightly scary girl to remember who she was, what happened to her and where she came from.

Lo. Lo is an ocean girl, knows nothing about who she, or who others like her were. All she knows and understands is the now, to become human again you must take a soul. Easier said than done, a lesson learned early on. But what Lo, and everyone else like her knows is that one day if they're lucky the angels who brought them to the ocean will come back for them, leading them to their new life. Queue Celia throwing a spanner in the works, Lo starts to remember and becomes torn. When she's in the ocean she's happy, it feels part of her, natural. But the small part of her that remembers won't go down without a fight.

The theme of these books are all about identity, Lo has to fight to cling on to the memories of her past or let them go like the rest of her kind and Celia is learning there is life outside of her sisters shadow.

Like Reblog Comment
show activity (+)
review 2016-03-30 16:38
.Sweetly Book Review.
Sweetly - Jackson Pearce

You've no idea how good it feels to be blogging once again!! With the stress of moving, mostly, behind me I can finally get my hands on a laptop and share with you guys once more. The next in our Fairytale retellings by Jackson Pearce is Sweetly based on Hansel and Gretel. This book is set in the same world as Sisters Red, although there are links to the previous books, character and supernatural element you don't have to have read the first instalment. But for those who have the little easter eggs are quite nice as it's not made obvious how the characters link, you just realise. Making a nice touch.

Our story begins, like with the previous book, with the event that shapes their lives. In Ansel and Gretchen's case whilst out playing in the woods as young children their youngest sister is taken from them by the witch. Years later no one believes there was something in that woods chasing them down. Left guilt ridden and scarred of what lies beyond Gretchen and Ansel leave in the hope to make a new start, leaving the terrifying woods behind.

As the older brother Ansel is very protective of his sister, and tries to encourage her to push the fear of the woods away, to embrace the new start, but for Gretchen this is easier said than done. The woods causes her to shut down, and the biggest question haunting her is why her and not me?? Most importantly, is it still out there waiting?? This book gives the impression that the siblings are still mourning in a way, whilst growing up they didn't talk about the sister they lost, like she never existed, so even when their older and standing on their own two feet Gretchen still finds it hard to talk about her, in fact they don't even say her name.

What I love the most about Gretchen is her strength, although not physically strong like Rosie and Scarlett in Sisters Red, Gretchen is determined to face her demons. Especially when her and her brother end up living slap bang in the middle of the woods. There's no escape of the claustrophobic forest around her. Once presented with an opportunity Gretchen takes it, she's determined to find out what out's there and how to defend herself.

There is so much more I want to discuss but I don't want to give away too much, this story is so cleverly retold and leaves you with so many questions both you and Gretchen are dying to have answered. In comparison to the previous book this is more of a slow burner, because the sisters were hunters it meant there was always a fight scene round the corner, whereas this story is built with questions, always more questions.

I really loved this book, it was so good!! I am glad this was told in a different way, I loved that were was constantly another question, you wondered if Gretchen would ever find it all out. As much as I love a fast paced book full of action it's nice to see that an author can pull you in a completely different direction. As always I'd love to hear from you in the comments below, don't forget you can share the love by liking this post and following if you'd like. Until next time.
MissKatiEllen.