logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: jay-d-clark
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-10-15 02:07
A Parliament of Crows by Alan M. Clark
A Parliament of Crows - Alan M. Clark

An engaging work of historical fiction based on the true crimes of the Wardlaw sisters, three women whose survival instincts, honed in the Civil War, proved to be deadly to other family members....including small children. Until the death of a daughter/niece finally brought them to the attention of the law.

Clark brings empathy and a depth to this novel that one rarely finds in true crime accounts, recreating the pivotal moments of these women's lives leading to their downfall.....and offering a look into their minds, the unholy bond that drove them, and displaying the personalities that turned these three sisters into a singular deadly whole...a triad of black widows acting as one.
Finally, he offers a look into the trial that ended their spree, and sent them into a self destructive spiral as stress induced insanity shattered their unholy union.

A brilliant piece of fact based historical fiction. Highly recommended.

review 2019-09-19 00:05
"The Black God's Drums" by P. Djèli Clark - Highly Recommended
The Black God's Drums - P. Djeli Clark

"The Black God's Drums" is one of those rare books where all I really want to say it: "READ THIS: IT'S WONDERFUL" and then add as a postscript:

@HBO please spend a few million making this into an award-winning piece of television.

"The Black God's Drums" is a novella of only 112 pages yet in terms of world-building, character-building and plot twists, it stands up against novel two or three times its length.

Djèli Clark pulls off a first-person narrative that delivers a clear view of a complex alternative history and sustains a level of tension and excitement. The dialogue is perfect, especially the use of dialect, which brightens the storytelling and deepens the characters.

This a sparkling little novella is set in an original and uplifting alternative history in which, in the late nineteenth century, New Orleans and Haiti are independent nation-states and the Civil War has a different ending.

The story involves a wicked plot that could bring great destruction, a swashbuckling Haitian airship captain who is strong on technology but refuses to give ground to the old African Gods who call to her, innovative steampunk-ish science that has a dash of magic in it, two black nuns who seem closer to voodoo than Christianity, fanatical soldiers with a scary leader and, at the centre of it all, an engaging, fourteen-years-old goddess-possessed black street child who calls herself Creeper.

Creeper made the book for me. We see the world through her eyes and she is full of fire. At one point, Creeper manages to rescue a key character in the plot. They have never met before and the person being rescued expresses surprise it's just Creeper affecting the rescue.

“Wi. It is just . . . you?”

Creeper's response tells you a lot about he:

I scowl up at her. I happen to think I’m plenty.

One of the things that I liked about this story was that all the good guys are women or girls, all but one of them is black and all of them kickass in their own ways.

I'm now a P. Djèli Clark fan. I've bought another of his novella, "A Dead Djinn in Cairo"  and I'm hoping that he will go on to write some full-length novels.

review 2019-08-14 21:15

Series: The Punisher (2011), 2
Format: ebook
Length: N/A
Rating: 3 stars

Synopsis: A fallen Frank Castle learns the hidden truths of the Exchange and how it’s connected to some of the Marvel Universe’s darkest secrets!

Then, when ex-Hydra and AIM agents team up to bring down the Punisher, Frank finds himself up against a soldier who’s more like him than either of them realize. And when the Exchange targets the Punisher with some unique technology, things get loud.

Finally, Punisher clashes with Spider-Man and Daredevil in an epic chase across Manhattan for a mysterious treasure that could change all their lives! Forced to work with two Avengers, the Punisher makes a promise: “Trust no one hurt everyone.” The three heroes set their sights on a blitzkrieg takedown of New York crime, but who says they’re all working together?

Favourite character: Rachel
Least favourite character: N/A

Mini-review: Good, Not sure how I feel about this Punisher. He's probably way more accurate, this version, but I prefer Nathan Edmondson's version more. I liked Rachel.

review 2019-08-05 13:16
Every Breath You Take (Under Suspicion #5) by Mary Higgins Clark & Alafair Burke
Every Breath You Take (An Under Suspicion Novel) - Mary Higgins Clark,Alafair Burke

For my rambles go to Bridget's Book Ramblings (2.75/5)