logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: jay-kristoff
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-09-02 19:19
Obsidio
Obsidio - Jay Kristoff,Amie Kaufman

“Live a life worth dying for.”

This series went out with a bang! I loved Illuminae, I really liked Gemina, but Obsidio was amazing. All of the original characters are back and play a huge role. We get some new characters, one of which is Kady Grant's cousin, Asha. The action is non stop. The stakes are extremely high. This book kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

I highly recommend this series to anyone wanting something a little different. The formatting is unique. The artwork is fun. It has just the right amount of romance and enough shocking moments to make me consider flinging the books across the room on multiple occasions. Thankfully I didn't, I would really hate to ruin that cover art. I'm sad to see this series come to an end, but it was an incredible journey!

-SW

review 2018-09-01 03:22
WoW what a rollercoaster of a ride!!!!
review 2018-09-01 03:19
WoW what a rollercoaster of a ride!!!!
LifeLik3 - Jay Kristoff

For right now I am going to just say, what a freaking rollercoaster of a ride, this book was. More to come when I can think of what else to say.

review 2018-08-31 05:17
LIFEL1K3
LifeLik3 - Jay Kristoff

This book sort of has a little bit of everything. It somehow manages to be a post-apocalyptic, spaghetti western inspired, robot fueled, futuristic, coming of age, romantic, adventure story. There are robot arena battles, amnesia obscured pasts, dusty car chases, mutants and bioengineering, killer androids, robot pals aplenty, mysterious superpowers, future slang, a murderous man with a red right hand, and...and...well, you get the idea.

There's a lot in here. As is often the case with books that go full throttle into Kitchen Sink territory some of it lands and some of it doesn't. It's a very distinct and curious blend of components that makes it stand out as unique, while also managing to riff on a lot of things I recognize, ergo it seems familiar. It was a weird combo. I will say it commits the cardinal sin of having a lot of the plot driven by people not talking to each other, but it redeems itself somewhat by acknowledging that fact late in the story. Without spoiling anything I will say the closing pages left me in a place I really didn't expect at the start of the narrative, and left me a bit off kilter.

All in all I have mixed feelings on this one. There were parts that I could tell were supposed to be fun but felt like a slog for me. I was often frustrated with the characters, and found the pacing oddly slow for something so action packed. I just never really connected fully to the characters nor their story. Points for world building and being my kind of weird-o though. When it comes down to it this book was fine, but I sort of expected more given how much I love many of Kristoff's other offerings. Perhaps my expectations were too high. Or maybe it's just me. Regardless, if I'm being 100% honest, I think I'd rather have just read Godsgrave again.

review 2018-08-17 16:45
ILLUMINAE by AMIE KAUFMAN & JAY KRISTOFF
Illuminae - Jay Kristoff,Amie Kaufman

Audiobook

I liked this book up until the ending and then it was "give me a break". Not believable at all! It's made me second guess reading the rest of the series. 3-1/2 stars for most of the book, it would have been 4 stars without the ending.