logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: joker
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
review 2020-03-20 02:51
One night in Gotham and the tough guys tumble
Joker - Brian Azzarello,Lee Bermejo

That's what he is, I guess: a disease that infected Gotham City...

...of which there is no cure.

The Joker is inexplicably released from Arkham and he quickly discovers that he's broke. And well, he might be insane, but he's not crazy enough to let people get away with that. The Penguin, The Riddler, Two Face, etc. are to blame. As far as he's concerned anyway.

With the help (at least presence) of his new henchman, Johnny Frost, Joker sets off to get his property back, to get a little revenge, and generally wreak havoc. You know, as you would if you were the Clown Prince of Crime.

That's really all I'm going to say—it's bloody, it's depraved, it's dark, it's twisted. It's not revolutionary, it's not a reinvention of the Joker. It's a good story about the character that's been a favorite of readers for decades.

Oh, sure, the Dark Knight puts in an appearance—but it's at the end, and he's not even brought up for most of the book. Then he's there and things go the way they usually do when he shows up.

The art? Hoo-boy. It's something else. It's...visceral is the best word I can come up with it. Even if you don't like it, I don't see where you can't have a strong opinion of it—I find it striking, memorable...and visceral.

I really enjoyed this one and highly recommend it to any comic reader, or anyone who wants to see what the world of Batman can look like in the original medium instead of film.

2020 Library Love Challenge

review 2017-08-31 15:31
The Joker by Edgar Wallace
The Joker (Detective Sgt. - Edgar Wallace

There's something fishy about millionaire Stratford Harlow, yet the police and Scotland Yard are unable to pin anything on him, despite the efforts of Sub-Inspector James Carlton...

An interesting plot-line with a better pacing than its predecessor. The "villain" was much more in the open, although the reader, alongside Scotland Yard's finest, struggles to see what he is up to and how anybody can prove any wrongdoing.

And when you think it's over, and everything becomes rather long-winded and slightly dull (especially compared to the few chapters where the reader and Jim believe the worst), comes the surprising final twist, revealing the greatest Harlow "joke" of them all.

I certainly didn't see that one coming. Well done.

show activity (+)
review 2017-07-05 02:20
Liked The Comic!
Harley Quinn Vol. 2: Joker Loves Harley ... Harley Quinn Vol. 2: Joker Loves Harley (Rebirth) - Amanda Conner,Jimmy Palmiotti,Chad Hardin,John Timms

This was my first time reading a DC comic book. Like many, I loved Harley Quinn in the Suicide Squad movie, so I was naturally curious about her in the DC universe. I was a bit worried I’d be totally lost, but between what I had previously searched online and the story itself, I had no problems following along. I look forward to reading more comics with Harley Quinn.

**I voluntarily read and reviewed this book

review 2017-05-27 17:27
Harley Quinn, Vol. 5: The Joker's Last Laugh by Amanda Conner
Harley Quinn Vol. 5: The Joker's Last Laugh - Amanda Conner,Jimmy Palmiotti

Mason Macabre is more than just Harley Quinn s neighbor in her new Coney Island digs he just might be the man of her dreams. But to save his life, she ll have to face the clown of her nightmares!
With Harley and her gang of merry maidens battling to keep innocents out of the crossfire of her enemies latest vendetta, Mason s been whisked away to the one place our hellacious heroine never wanted to set foot in again: Arkham Asylum. Inside its horrific halls, Mason is at the tender mercies of none other than the Joker and Harley and the Clown Prince of Crime have had the mother of all bad break-ups.

Will she and the madman who helped make her what she is kiss and make up long enough for her new beau to escape with his life? Or this time, will the joke be on Harley Quinn for good?
It s the reunion you ve been waiting for! Courtesy of acclaimed creative team Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti, HARLEY QUINN VOL. 5: THE JOKER S LAST LAUGH proves that when it comes to true love, Harley s not joking around! Collects issue #22-25 of the ongoing series and the special issue, HARLEY QUINN: BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR."

*********

That doesn't mean that the volume is bad, I did like it, I found it amazing and it was a hell of a lot better than the previous volume. The art is, as usual, good as well. I had when I start to read a comic and the change the artist along the way and ruin everything. But with Harley Quinn, is the art pretty much always good!

review 2016-10-01 00:00
Harley Quinn Vol. 5: The Joker's Last Laugh
Harley Quinn Vol. 5: The Joker's Last Laugh - Amanda Conner,Jimmy Palmiotti The problem with waiting let's say around two months to write a review is that the memory is a bit hazy. However, there are some things that I do remember from this volume and that's that I was disappointed that the Joker was hardly in it especially when you see the cover and read the description and the description pretty much tells you what will happen. They fight and break up. Ta da! I liked the last part of the volume best, with Harley finding a genie...hilarious.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through Edelweiss for an honest review!</i<