logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: kick-ass-heroines
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-07-15 02:50
The Diviners
The Diviners - Libba Bray

I think it's time for a real review because that old one was just embarrassing (especially given that I just re-read this book).

I finally got around to reading this again like I've been meaning to do for some time now but lots of things happened and here we are several years later. I have the other books in a series which I'm also just getting around to now but anyways, moving on.

I don't know how young I was when I read this but like I get why I got scared reading it at night ya know. Maybe it's just because I've grown and not as easily scared anymore but thankfully it didn't scare me this time around.

I know that a lot of people had problems with Evie and they didn't like her. I was not one of those people. I mean yes, I get why people disliked her but it didn't bother me. I thought it gave her personality, made her seem real. I think I even have a few friends who are like her, maybe that was why she didn't bother me as much. There was a lot of 20s slang present in the book as well but it didn't make it any harder to understand or take away from the story, it's pretty easy to figure out what they're talking about.

I loved the diverse cast of characters that were present and the backstory on each of them. I think it really made them seem more realistic and also made you feel for them in a way. For example, what Blind Bill did to Isaiah, it was a terrible thing that he did but at the same time, when you learn more about him, you kind of understand where he was coming from and why he did it, it doesn't make it excusable, but you understand.

I love how everyone is connected to each other and watching those connections unfold. It honestly made me excited because I knew how the characters were connected but they didn't and it just kept you flipping the pages.

There's a hint of a love triangle present in the story, but it doesn't take away from the story or overshadow the plot ya know, it's mostly in the background. I hate love triangles just as much as the next person but it didn't bother me. And honestly, I could see Evie ending up with either Sam or Jericho like I support both of them. I'm leaning towards Jericho just a L I T T L E bit more, but I can see her ending up with either and I'd fully support the end product either way.

The romance was not the point, however.

I think the supernatural stuff was written really well, the murders were gruesome and maybe it makes me a sociopath but I honestly loved reading those bits. It was so great watching the mystery unfold as Evie and the rest of them put everything together.

And I think my favourite part of the book was the way that it showed how people can get carried away and fanatic with what they believe and how this blurs the line between good and bad. How anything is excusable if you believe that you're doing it in the name of God. I don't know, but I thought it was probably the most interesting aspect of the book, seeing the level of devotion that people had to the Brethren and how far they were willing to go in order to see through what they believed to be the word of God.

TL;DR please read this it's an amazing book and well worth your money.

review 2018-07-15 02:43
Lair of Dreams
Lair of Dreams - Libba Bray

I honestly just can't put into words how much I absolutely love this series and it kills me that it's not as popular as some of the other stuff out there. I can't believe everyone went crazy for Divergent but is completely ignoring this gem.

The second book in the series was just as brilliant as the first. It had the same mystery and spookiness to it and I love how all of the clues that we get from each book on Project Buffalo is slowly building up to give us a picture of what's really going on. Seriously the suspense is killing me. I don't even mind that I have to wait this long for the fourth book to come out because honestly, this series is well worth the wait.

If you're looking for a story that has a diverse cast of characters well then sister this is it. You are here, you've found it. There are people of different races, ethnicities, religions, sexuality, and physical disability etc etc. And what's great is that the struggles that these characters have to put up with because they're black, or Chinese, or disabled, or gay, isn't lost to the story, it's really well incorporated into explaining their actions and their thoughts and how they see the world. The culture and mentality and racism that was present in the 1920s is very much present in this book and I seriously believe that this series would not have been the same if it had all been ignored.

I will say that if you didn't like Evie in the first book, you're probably not gonna like her any better in this book. But no matter how angry you may get with Evie and the way that she's behaving, you ultimately feel bad for her in the end when you see how she's dealing with her situation.

Blind Bill Johnson hasn't really been all that important so far, but I will say that as much as the way that he's manipulating Isaiah disgusts me, I get it. I understand where he's coming from, I get why he's doing what he's doing. I think he's a pretty complex character for someone who hasn't played as big of a role in the story so far.

The sleeping sickness was truly spooky, especially near the end where everything comes to a close and we figure out what's going on and who's responsible for what. I honestly had to stop reading quite a few times just because I was freaking out, I didn't see the plot twist coming, maybe it's because I wasn't paying attention. Everything was all there for me to put together, I just didn't bother stopping to think about how each piece fits together.

Normally I hate pretty much any and all love triangles but not in this book. I'm honestly amazed at how well-written the romance is. Usually, you can tell who the protagonist is going to end up picking, but not in this series. And honestly, I don't even have a preference myself, I would be just as happy for Evie to end up with either prospect, I just want the angst and the suffering to end for my boys Jericho and Sam/Sergei.

Although if Jericho resorts to the "nice guys finish last" type of mentality I'm going to be angry for the rest of my life.

Each relationship in the love triangle works well, the characters all have something or need something from the other that would make the relationship work ya know. And most importantly, it doesn't distract from the plot, like in most cases where it ends up more romance and what was supposed to be actual plot kind of just becomes a side thought. I can't believe I'm saying this, but if anything, the romance actually adds to the story and helps move it along.

The writing was fantastic, it flowed so well, the pacing was great, it keeps you engaged and it's honestly really easy to spend your entire day reading all 613 pages of this.

And the cliffhanger at the end honestly has me #deadt.

In conclusion, I've been screaming about this series from the rooftops for literally years on end now but no one will listen to me about how good it is. And lastly, I am forever a fan of Libba Bray honestly bless up, this was the supernatural, paranormal story that I didn't even know I needed.

(Also, I saw that lil nod towards Felicity and Gemma in the book, I saw it. I just wanna know if they're gonna end up making a bigger appearance later on or if it's just a lil something for the Gemma Doyle fans out there? WHO DOES GEMMA MARRY? WHO IS THIS RAO CHARACTER? FINISH WHAT YOU STARTED LIBBA!)
review 2018-06-25 03:51
Obsidio
Obsidio - Jay Kristoff,Amie Kaufman

I don't even know where to start. I literally just finished this book five minutes ago. I'm in shock.

To be honest this entire series is just one long screaming fest because hOlY ShIt.

There's so many plot twists and the authors constantly push you to the brink of despair and make you think that everyone's going to die.

AND THEN THEY SNATCH YOU BACK FROM THE EDGE AND THEY'RE LIKE SIKE.

I think I've said this before, but I know some people had trouble with the way that the story was told as it was told through dossiers and stuff and I'll admit that it's out of the ordinary but I think it really fits the story.

I think this entire trilogy does a really good job of showing that there isn't always just black and white, good and evil, there's so many gray areas and showing how people fit into those grey areas. There are so many characters in this book, not all of them important, but you get a little snippet into almost all of their lives that gives you some understanding of them. It does a really good job of showing that good people are capable of doing bad things. And that it's a lot harder to simply cut someone off when you know that person.

There were so many characters in the book who had committed some really terrible atrocities and while it made me absolutely livid, seeing them through the eyes of some of the characters and hearing them talk, you begin to hate them a little less.

Except for Leanne Frobisher, that bitch can rot to be honest.

I really liked the dialogue among the characters, they all had their own distinctive way of talking. I think even without the name labels, you'd probably be able to figure who was speaking when. I also really liked the characterization. Obviously not everyone is likeable, but they feel real, like someone that you might encounter at some point throughout your life ya know.

It goes without saying that the plot was absolutely incredible and blew my damn mind.

I know that this probably is coming across as very scatter-brained and unorganized but I'm still reeling from the book and trying to get my brain working properly again. 10/10 would recommend and I'm 100% planning on reading this series again in the future.

review 2018-03-29 22:10
Watching Her: A Dark Romance (Keep Me Series Book 3) by Angela Snyder
Watching Her: A Dark Romance - Angela Snyder

Wowza! Jackson was just W-O-W! He was such an adorable dork with the right amount of sexiness and lots of sweet appeal. Honestly, what I loved the most about him was that he didn’t behave like an overbearing alpha and was always happy to be there for those that trusted him. The story itself was intense, exciting, and gripping. Although this is the 3rd book in the series and it’s set parallel to the first two, it can still be read as a standalone. Be warned though, you’re going to want to read the first two once you get to know Jax.
So, despite his kinks and voyeurism, Jax has some personal issues that prevent him from truly loving someone. It isn’t until he meets strong, determined Katya, a woman with her own dark past, that he allows himself to develop feelings for someone.
Katya is my kind of heroine: self-reliant, clever, and compassionate. Of course she could also be stubborn but overall she was understanding and was able to keep a level head at the most critical times.
In short, Jax and Katya are now in my top 5 favorite couples, and I totally recommend this book.

*** I received this book at no cost to me and I volunteered to read it; this is my honest opinion and given without any influence by the author or publisher ***

review 2018-02-19 02:57
Gemina (The Illuminae Files) - Jay Kristoff,Amie Kaufman
So ... this series has me screaming, but internally because my family is around.

I was honestly surprised by how much I'm enjoying this series. I haven't read anything like this before but maybe this is because I just haven't ventured into this genre before or something. Either way, this is new for me.

One of my favourite things about this is the way that it's told. It's set up as a dossier with files and collections of messages sent between people and reports and video footage. The authors even went so far as to provide actual faces for almost all of the characters which is just great. There's all this pretty artwork on top of it too to keep things interesting.

And I admire how diverse the characters are, you have characters from every race and ethnicity out there and they're not background characters either, they're important.

I need to talk about AIDAN for a second, the artificial intelligence system, because I've never been so infuriated in such a long time over an artificial intelligence system. It barely even has a personality and yet ... you wanna punch a computer in the screen just from reading this book. AIDAN is fucking crazy, like watching it develop a consciousness in the first book was honestly terrifying. This shit followed me into my dreams like I'm not joking, I was S C A R E D. But then you grow to enjoy AIDAN and it takes a lot to turn you around from hating an AI system to being like oh okay I guess you're not that bad.

I know that a few people have a problem with the romance line in the series but I honestly don't see why as it doesn't take away from the story. Like it's pretty background music type of stuff you know, it doesn't take away focus from the main story and what's really happening or what the reader is meant to be focusing on. If anything, I think it adds to the story, I feel as if I understand the characters a little better because of the underlying romance. You understand their motives more and why they do what they have to do.

I also really appreciate that the text messages they send each other are readable. Pretty much all of the time that adults attempt to write teenage talk through text it's literally unreadable. As a teenager, I can't read shit whenever I see an author's attempt to write teenage text. It takes me a good 5-10 minutes to figure out what the fuck the author is talking about BECAUSE YOU CAN'T READ THE TEXT.

"But they're adults, they haven't been teenagers in a while." I hear you, but also just talk to a 17-year-old, text them, see how they respond. Mimic it. It's not that hard.

So yeah, I appreciate that the text talk was readable and accurate.

Also hey, let's appreciate Ella, who's disabled but still has spunk to her and is still hella smart and a force to be reckoned with.

And the plot was really good, it kept moving at a good pace and new things kept popping up to keep you moving so things never got dull. I was honestly tense and anxious while reading this just waiting to hear what else was going to pop up. And I didn't see any of the plot twists that came up in the book, like the signs were there I just didn't think anything of it until the end and then it hit me like a brick.

So yeah, I recommend the series, I thought everything about it was great and I'm pumped for the last book to come out to see how this ends.